Rgc Ratings

MalachiMcMullen

All grippers calibrated by Brendan and myself today-

BBSM---------132.75

Easy #3------143.75

Hard #3------151.5

RB300--------171.75

#4------------220.25

I'd like to know, does anyone have a #4 harder than mine? I know mine is an absolute beast. Most 4's I can at least set, but this one is just ridiculous.

Robert Alva (lonewolf) has a single stamp one that was 223.

Sicko #4's both yours Josh and Roberts.Woodall even looked at Joshes #4 crooked when we pulled it out at Championships.

Chad almost closed my #4 right before checking that beast out.

What did the #4 go that Chad almost closed? Mine is 195# and will be at BBB, hope Chad can get it!

BBSM---------132.75

Easy #3------143.75

Hard #3------151.5

RB300--------171.75

#4------------220.25

I'd like to know, does anyone have a #4 harder than mine? I know mine is an absolute beast. Most 4's I can at least set, but this one is just ridiculous.

Sicko #4's both yours Josh and Roberts.Woodall even looked at Joshes #4 crooked when we pulled it out at Championships.

What did the #4 go that Chad almost closed? Mine is 195# and will be at BBB, hope Chad can get it!

203.5lbs Josh

He should be close!!!

BBSM---------132.75

Easy #3------143.75

Hard #3------151.5

RB300--------171.75

#4------------220.25

203.5lbs Josh

He should be close!!!

He should kill the 195# then, even 5# is huge!

BBSM---------132.75

Easy #3------143.75

Hard #3------151.5

RB300--------171.75

#4------------220.25

203.5lbs Josh

He should be close!!!

He should kill the 195# then, even 5# is huge!

Cool I cant wait to hear!!!

There seems to be an awful lot of variation in grippers. I mean, it hardly seems fair that someone who closed a 207lb #4 can be on the same list as someone who had to close a 220+lb #4. BTW, I know Shizen is going to own me for this, but if anyone has a Tetting T14 and or a BB Universe it would be interesting to see the poundage ratings for them, to see if the Beast actually is alot stiffer than the Universe or if they truely are the exact same gripper, as some people speculate.

Edited by Grippster

There seems to be an awful lot of variation in grippers. I mean, it hardly seems fair that someone who closed a 207lb #4 can be on the same list as someone who had to close a 220+lb #4. BTW, I know Shizen is going to own me for this, but if anyone has a Tetting T14 and or a BB Universe it would be interesting to see the poundage ratings for them, to see if the Beast actually is alot stiffer than the Universe or if they truely are the exact same gripper, as some people speculate.

You better have a sturdy calibration Jig!!!

Ha, I believe Kevin Bussi tried caling either the super galaxy or the grand galaxy, whichever one existed, he had over 500lbs on the end of the handle and it hadn't moved an entire inch. Since torsion springs get harder and harder as the handles get closer and closer, well over 1000 actual pounds would be needed to close a gripper like that.

So to move the handles on a gripper that's got a smaller spring than the beast... less than an inch... takes more than double the pressure required to close a #4. :blink

p.s. Why didn't he go all the way, was there not enough weights!? lol

Edited by Grippster

Here's that thread:

super galaxy calibration attempt

Later on he says he calibrated a galaxy at 490 lbs. The Universe / Beast would be well over 1000 lbs and they both have a .501 spring I can tell you because I just talked to Warren the other day on the phone. I talked to Warren the other day and all he mentioned was the .501 spring gripper and refered to it as the universe. He made no mention of the Beast because it's just nutrition geek's name for the same gripper.

Now, calibrating it would be a heck of a chore my friend. I bet it would be well over 1500 lbs to close it with that crazy spring size.

Tim

Oh my god!! :blink:blink I just read that topic.... what a crazy spring. The calibrator flipped through the wall and the gripper still had 2 1/4 to go!! My god.... that's not even a Beast/Universe and it was still miles from closing... in a machine. From what I'm hearing, I wouldn't be able to get the handles parallel in a vice. I knew these grippers were absurdly, impossibly hard, but not this hard. Respect for those springs! lol

Now that I think about it, would the robotic hand in my avatar be able to close the beast? Probably not! :blush

Edited by Grippster

Big Nasty have a very hard #3 and #4. His #3 is 190 something and his #4 I think 260 something.

His #3 is 190 exactly. I forgot about his #4, yeah that one will probably never be closed, that's probably around a Pro strength.

Big Nasty have a very hard #3 and #4. His #3 is 190 something and his #4 I think 260 something.

His #3 is 190 exactly. I forgot about his #4, yeah that one will probably never be closed, that's probably around a Pro strength.

I found the thread:

#3 is exactly 193.2 w/ a 3-7/16" spread.

The #4 was 252.6 w/ a 3-3/16" spread.

Sweet grippers indeed :D

Edited by Magnus

I found the thread:

Man!!!! Those are crazy numbers for those 2 grippers. I thought my #3 was wide but that's just insane. Are they both GR8 grippers?

Tim

Calibrated by me:

Hard 350 - 190.18

Paul's #3.5 - 173.47

My BBE - 174.52

Frank's BBE - 172.02

BBSE - 205.77

I found the thread:

Man!!!! Those are crazy numbers for those 2 grippers. I thought my #3 was wide but that's just insane. Are they both GR8 grippers?

Tim

From reading Bens post he said "This gripper is very wide and is old." So it's not GR8 and I assume it's a single stamped gripper.

I found the thread:

Tim

From reading Bens post he said "This gripper is very wide and is old." So it's not GR8 and I assume it's a single stamped gripper.

I remember hearing that it was so old it wasn't really a #3, but something else.

The gripper is a steel handled #3. Yes it is a real #3, but not a "freak", all of the older steel handled grippers are harder.

Calibrated by me:

Hard 350 - 190.18

Paul's #3.5 - 173.47

My BBE - 174.52

Frank's BBE - 172.02

BBSE - 205.77

You were right luke those are some toughies!!!

The gripper is a steel handled #3. Yes it is a real #3, but not a "freak", all of the older steel handled grippers are harder.

I would tend to be a little skeptical that 190# #3's were pretty common among the steel handled ones but I could be wrong. I had Warren make me a GM with steel handles (read as SLICK), 3.25" spread and 1/8" mount to see what all the fuss about the old grippers was. It's hard, I think Chris cal'd it at 158 or so and it feels a lot tougher than that but it's not even close to the Jason's #3. I closed a Heavy Elite the same day I tried Jason's and it was substantially easier than that #3. The HE (SE spring, 2 5/8ish spread) is the one only Rob V closed at Strong Arm Tactics and Ben cal'd it in the low 180's.

Josh, I would guess you are right though I only played with one.

Still, I would guess most would calibrate far more than 158. My silver elite went 174ish on my setup so probably 180 give or take on Ben's. Yep, 10 pounds is a HUGE difference, but either 180 or 190 are both so far from 140-160 that someone right at the #3 level couldn't do much with them.

Anyways, I do agree with you. I am just guessing anyways, his is the only one I have had my hands on.

You ever get to play with a silver elite Josh? Next MGC give mine a go. Harder than the tetting SHD by a bit.

Josh, I would guess you are right though I only played with one.

Still, I would guess most would calibrate far more than 158. My silver elite went 174ish on my setup so probably 180 give or take on Ben's. Yep, 10 pounds is a HUGE difference, but either 180 or 190 are both so far from 140-160 that someone right at the #3 level couldn't do much with them.

Anyways, I do agree with you. I am just guessing anyways, his is the only one I have had my hands on.

You ever get to play with a silver elite Josh? Next MGC give mine a go. Harder than the tetting SHD by a bit.

Will the Silver E be available in the line up for MGC grippers? I've never tried one.

The thing I about the steel handled GM I have is the steel handles add a ton of difficulty because they're so slick that they don't set worth a crap and with a 3.25" spread, setting it is a chore anyway. The RGC doesn't give the true reflection of the difficulty and the 160# #3 closer who's playing it safe his first attempt would be in for a surprise.

I've kept the silver elite out of the MGC because of the 3.25 spread, hard to equate the difficulty with a similar gripper. Like you mentioned.

It will be there though (maybe not in the lineup, but it will be there) Josh, and I will be sure to introduce it to you :)

Damn, I know I have related this somewhere before, but I got this thing to bridge the gap between the 3 and the 4. When I first got it, the damn thing was so wide that it was harder to do anything with than my #4.

I've kept the silver elite out of the MGC because of the 3.25 spread, hard to equate the difficulty with a similar gripper. Like you mentioned.

It will be there though (maybe not in the lineup, but it will be there) Josh, and I will be sure to introduce it to you :)

Damn, I know I have related this somewhere before, but I got this thing to bridge the gap between the 3 and the 4. When I first got it, the damn thing was so wide that it was harder to do anything with than my #4.

Well, if I close whatever my goal is 1st attempt I might just pass and go after that on my subsequent attempts, even though it won't count. I'll be too spent after the contest and I don't want to waste anything before.

Edited by jad

I agree... those numbers look a little high.

All below calibrated by Greg Amidon (in lbs):

IM #T....................60

IM #1 (filed)...........90

IM #1.5...............92.5

BBM.....................105

IM #2................107.5

IM #2.5.............122.5

BBSM...................130

BBSM................132.5

RB260N................135

BBSM................137.5

BBGM...................140

IM #3................142.5

MM1 Replica..........145

IM #3................152.5

IM #3................152.5

RB300N................155

RB260..................155

MM2 Replica.......157.5

RB330N................160

RB300................167.5

BBE......................170

BBE...................172.5

MM3 Replica..........175

MM4 Replica..........180

IM #3.5................180

BBSE.................192.5

BBSE....................195

IM #4................197.5

IM #4................207.5

BBGE...................220

pc

My numbers line up close to yours. Previously I wasn't interested calibration but I got a #7 tug that was crazy and I always wondered about my single stamp #3 that feels like a 3.5 but calibrated out just over average, the spread is 3.25"

A few points..........

I made the device today.

It cost about 10 bucks.

I used metal pipe straps to hold the pipe down on the board

Lag screws to keep the gripper from spinning. Gripper never spun though, so no contact.

The strap to the loading pin is the exact armwresting strap I have except it was 2 bucks instead of 10.

I weighed the apperatus on a balance beam scale after each calibration. No face value weights used.

Precision was used in strap location and reduction of drag.

The weight used to close is 5 lbs more than the weight to hold close, verified several times

Retested a random gripper and got exact to the pound, push close and hold close number.

I used the push close number.

Didn't oil grippers,none seem to bind.

Your SM and My easy GM overlap

#1.........85

hg200....94

hg300....100 freaky narrow i like for no set reps

#2.........107 easiest one I could find for no sets

#2 SS....119 3.25 wide

#2 SS....122 filed deep

SM.........130 actually the spring is thicker but has a weird mount

GM easy.137

#3easy...142 filed normal

GM norm.145

#3 norm..145

#3 SS......154 3.25 spread I was really surprised expected 170

#3.5........182

Tugs, note apperatus bottomed out before handles touched but was the same on all 4 tests

#4 27

#5 48

#6 65

#7 117 twice a #6. The handles didn't touch, it's obviously stronger than a hard 2 perhaps SM range.

Edited by GarytheDino

Where do you place the straps on a tug? Don't the rounded bottoms prevent you linging the strap up flush to the bottom edge? Thanks.

Josh