Rgc Ratings

MalachiMcMullen

Matt said that the 3.5 was REALLY creaky. It had not been used much and had never been oiled. It really changed, otherwise the numbers are pretty close, some higher, some lower.

I'm not surprised about the 7lb difference if it had never been oiled. I'm positive Bob would have reached 177 the way it was binding.

Also, it is good to stress being meticulous about strap placement. Even tiny, barely noticeable differences will throw the ratings off a pound or two.

Too often, I believe I was letting the strap land at the edge of the bevel. I think this is where my BBE went down 3 pounds. That is a gripper I have always kept oiled pretty well.

Matt said that the 3.5 was REALLY creaky. It had not been used much and had never been oiled. It really changed, otherwise the numbers are pretty close, some higher, some lower.

I'm not surprised about the 7lb difference if it had never been oiled. I'm positive Bob would have reached 177 the way it was binding.

I think I have only oiled grippers one time in a million years. I vaguely remember them feeling easier after they were. "Brand New" grippers do not need oiling, do they? Is that yet another variable that makes "certification" on #3s tough? I am curious if, when I get them back, they will feel easier to me.

Also, I guess at 170, that is an "easy 3.5", huh?

Hbgzr

I think I have only oiled grippers one time in a million years. I vaguely remember them feeling easier after they were. "Brand New" grippers do not need oiling, do they? Is that yet another variable that makes "certification" on #3s tough? I am curious if, when I get them back, they will feel easier to me.

Also, I guess at 170, that is an "easy 3.5", huh?

Hbgzr

You know whats funny? Strossen and Sorin both suggest oiling new grippers :laugh I only oiled mine once about a year ago and they haven't squeaked or creaked once despite heavy use so I wouldn't think it's necessary on a regular basis.

• Like 1

when calibrating grippers, do you place the strap at the end of the handle or at the end of the bevel.

when calibrating grippers, do you place the strap at the end of the handle or at the end of the bevel.

End of the handle. You can easily feel with your finger and tell that it's flush.

You know whats funny? Strossen and Sorin both suggest oiling new grippers :laugh I only oiled mine once about a year ago and they haven't squeaked or creaked once despite heavy use so I wouldn't think it's necessary on a regular basis.

I think it's necessary to oil new grippers. And I'm leaning towards spraying them quickly before each PR attempt. It takes one second and actually seems to matter. Our unintended experiment with Luke's grippers show this pretty clearly. He had several new grippers from IM and BB and they all dropped quite a bit once oiled. His #3 dropped 16 lbs. If you watch some of his Youtube closes of this gripper, you can hear it chatter and pop and bind all the way through the range of motion. I can't imagine getting a gripper in that condition for a cert!

Also, there is the case with my #3. I had oiled it frequently, but I can't say for sure how near any calibrations. It was not squeaking and never had squeaked. However, oiling it immediately before the calibration dropped 10 lbs from previously cross-calibrated numbers.

This has made me a believer that the only true test of a gripper's strength is to oil it immediately before an attempt. I believe any gripper will be harder to some degree otherwise (how much harder obviously depends on time passed and tons of environmental factors). We already knew this, though, but I personally wasn't paying it much attention. If you search for "mash monster" and look at the old threads, there is some pretty interesting stuff that leads up to the decision to oil and clean the MM grippers after every cert.

• Like 1

I think it's necessary to oil new grippers. And I'm leaning towards spraying them quickly before each PR attempt. It takes one second and actually seems to matter. Our unintended experiment with Luke's grippers show this pretty clearly. He had several new grippers from IM and BB and they all dropped quite a bit once oiled. His #3 dropped 16 lbs. If you watch some of his Youtube closes of this gripper, you can hear it chatter and pop and bind all the way through the range of motion. I can't imagine getting a gripper in that condition for a cert!

Also, there is the case with my #3. I had oiled it frequently, but I can't say for sure how near any calibrations. It was not squeaking and never had squeaked. However, oiling it immediately before the calibration dropped 10 lbs from previously cross-calibrated numbers.

This has made me a believer that the only true test of a gripper's strength is to oil it immediately before an attempt. I believe any gripper will be harder to some degree otherwise (how much harder obviously depends on time passed and tons of environmental factors). We already knew this, though, but I personally wasn't paying it much attention. If you search for "mash monster" and look at the old threads, there is some pretty interesting stuff that leads up to the decision to oil and clean the MM grippers after every cert.

I agree with everything you said there Matt.

I'd also like to point out that many people do seem to think that the noises will act as an indicator whether to oil the gripper or not. It's not about the noises the gripper makes if left unoiled. Why wait the corrosion if you can prevent it? Oil your grippers regularly, they will stay in better condition and serve you well for longer time and the oil takes away one variable off your training. Then, it's up to you, not if the spring is oiled or not.

Edited by Teemu I

• 3 weeks later...

I received my RGC device from Chris Rice yesterday and I did some calibrating this morning.

GR8 #3 141.5 lbs

BBE 165.5 lbs

BBSE 179.3 lbs

COC 3.5 175.25 lbs

COC #4 203.5lbs

BBWC 268.25 lbs

I have more grippers but this is what I got done today looking forward to calibrating more.

Brendan

I've compiled the data into an Excel spreadsheet. Why? Because I have this sickness dealing with quantifiable numbers. Very useful if anyone is interested. Problem is, since I don't have my website back (yet), I'm not sure how to get the info to you all. Any suggestions?

Bob Lipinski - Your PDA 190 measured 160??? That seems outrageous! Travis measured his 262 at 123, and Incindium's 280 measured 133. My PDA 343 is just under an IM #3, and lone wolf's 546 measured 155. Do you know how old it is? Mine is circa 2002 (approx).

Brendan, I'd like to get my grippers calibrated. Maybe we could hook up sometime? Pizza for the calibrater?

Thanks all, Alan

Bob's 160 PDA190 is a pretty stout gripper. I thought the spring size was more along the lines of a #3 though. Not sure if the 190 number is actually a reference of anything...except for maybe a number that was stamped on the handle by PDA to identify it off the line somehow.

I received my RGC device from Chris Rice yesterday and I did some calibrating this morning.

GR8 #3 141.5 lbs

Brendan

Wow, that is one of the easier #3's out there, especially with the new springs they have...

GR8 #3 141.5 lbs

Brendan

Wow, that is one of the easier #3's out there, especially with the new springs they have...

I noticed that as well...I'd like to give that #3 a try myself if we get together anytime soon.

GR8 #3 141.5 lbs

Brendan

Yes I was very suprised I rechecked it several times.

GR8 #3 141.5 lbs

Brendan

I noticed that as well...I'd like to give that #3 a try myself if we get together anytime soon.

No problem Matt

I've had my hands on a grade 8 #3 that was easy as hell. The variation is still there.

Blasphemy! :D

Yes I was very suprised I rechecked it several times.

Does it feel that easy? Like BBSM-ish?

No It does not feel that easy.

Also the 175 3.5 feels harder than the BBSE at 179 the spread on the 3.5 is 3" and the BBSE is 2.75" so I think that has a lot to do with the way it feels.

• 2 weeks later...

All grippers calibrated by Brendan and myself today-

BBSM---------132.75

Easy #3------143.75

Hard #3------151.5

RB300--------171.75

#4------------220.25

I'd like to know, does anyone have a #4 harder than mine? I know mine is an absolute beast. Most 4's I can at least set, but this one is just ridiculous.

BBSM---------132.75

Easy #3------143.75

Hard #3------151.5

RB300--------171.75

#4------------220.25

I'd like to know, does anyone have a #4 harder than mine? I know mine is an absolute beast. Most 4's I can at least set, but this one is just ridiculous.

Robert Alva (lonewolf) has a single stamp one that was 223.

BBSM---------132.75

Easy #3------143.75

Hard #3------151.5

RB300--------171.75

#4------------220.25

Robert Alva (lonewolf) has a single stamp one that was 223.

Sicko #4's both yours Josh and Roberts.Woodall even looked at Joshes #4 crooked when we pulled it out at Championships.

Chad almost closed my #4 right before checking that beast out.

Edited by ox3782

Big Nasty have a very hard #3 and #4. His #3 is 190 something and his #4 I think 260 something.

• Like 1

Big Nasty have a very hard #3 and #4. His #3 is 190 something and his #4 I think 260 something.

:blink