2008 July - Last Chance - MalachiMcMullen

MalachiMcMullen

Welp, the results are in. It was hardly very organized but Andrew, Dave, Dan, Brent and Russ wont say it :rolleyes But, with 8 competitors it had enough guys to qualify the top 3 and was still short enough for some play(which came in handy :blush ) It was a great contest. We flew through every event, FLEW. I gave 3 attempts for grippers and we were done with them in less than 45 minutes, if that. We weren't in a hurry either. Due to a logistical error on my part, we had to wait a bit for someone to return so we ended up starting at noon. Well, onto the results.

To everyone's surprise, it came out like this:

1. Andrew Durniat

2. Brent Barbe

3. Russ somethingorother

4. Zach Coulter

5. Dan Sweeney(lost to me by .5 pts)

6. Alex Coulter

7. Ryan Coulter(lost to Alex by .5 pts)

8. Dave Thornton(didn't want anything of his to count... because he would've won)

Russ Somethingorother was a friend of Sweeney's who tagged along for the short ride down. It was let out early that he was a construction worker who never lifted weights. So naturally we encouraged him to compete and he did just that... and beat me :rolleyes This guy, make no mistake, is STRONG. I believe he missed the #2 a few times, until myself and Dave showed him how to set and then he smashed it so hard the handles nearly cracked. He missed a brand new 2.5 by 1/2". He pulled 240 on the 2" Vbar with what looked like little effort and missed at a higher attempt. 180 on the 2HP with greasey, chalky fingers and the apparatus slipped at least twice during that lift and he still managed it. 323 on the Axle and a failed attempt at a 6" G5 reverse. If this guy trains, he would start winning stuff.

Durniat, myself and Ryan were fatigued from yesterday's strongman comp in New York. That didn't stop us from competing the next day :cool Andrew missed the easy elite by a hair first attempt and almost missed his 2nd attempt at it but managed to get one last blast into it. He pulled 316ish on the Vbar noticeably above 2" but dropped it at the top :pinch Just before that he managed a measely high pull iwth 301.9lbs on calibrated plates. Wuss. He high pulled 290 twice because everyone jokingly said "Hmmm, I don't know. That was pretty close" :laugh He missed the American record on the axle. I think he had two solid efforts at 461.5 and pulled both to his knees but no further. So he dropped back down to 441 and got it in full PL style. He easily massacred the FNL/TY 6" G5's and did some damage to 1/4x7.

I closed Dave's "easy" #3, it would calibrate about 150 FOR SURE, twice and had a near miss on mine and BIG miss on Dave's hard 3 which is around 161. I managed 200 in the Vbar pretty solidly and missed 210ish. I missed 293 in the axle but pulled it about to my knees 5+ times :rolleyes I could stop the rotation almost everytime but only for a half second or so. Dan actually pulled it higher than me a # of times ;) I managed 147 in the 2HP pretty easily and scared 157 for a second. I failed on a 6" G5 twice. It just wasn't in me today. Basically, I got a true 1lb PR on the 2HP and haven't gotten any stronger the Axle than I was at Gripmas '07 where I pulled 303 to my knees twice.

Dave either came very close or closed his RB300 I believe. He just didn't have 300 in him for the Vbar today, but he was RIGHT THERE making it hover and twist and move accross the ground. He set a PR in the Axle with 391 and missed 396.5. Then he bent 1/4x7 to 90ish reverse and wobbled a 515 bastard reverse. Then did a few blob lifts after the contest on his slick blob :whacked

There wasn't much after contest fun since Andrew, myself and Ryan were spent and Brent, Russ and Dan had to get going. We had just enough time to find out that I suck at RT lifting and that Dan was stronger than me in it. And that I am pretty strong in the Plywood lift compared to others :)

Brent beat Durniat in the 2HP with 2 BIG TIME PR's. Watch for him at future comps, definite top 5 placer in a short time.

All in all, it was a great evening and fun was had by all. I have to give a big shout out to John Beatty and FBBC for sponsoring me today and to Durniat, Barbe and Thornton. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't have had the 2HP, the axle or someone to help move things along and keep us all on track. Oh yeah, and for their math skillz :blush

Oh yeah, Durniat snatched my 126.8lb Inch loadable after competing in 2 axle events yesterday and today's contest.

There is more but I don't remember it right now :)

Thanks for the write-up Zach, sounds like it went well. And a handfull of impressive performances as well.

Zach, thanks for the great write-up. Too bad that the competitions were so close together, otherwise perhaps you could have qualified for GGC. Some great performances, Dave Thornton a true classy sportsman as always, hope i can be like him when I grow up. :rock :rock :rock

What was Brent's 2HP #?

Great write up and some awesome lifts!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

Great job Zach, especially for stepping up and keeping grip stuff strong in MI.

Had a good time at the Contest. The conditions were hot with the Michigan humidity hitting again. It seemed to effect the 2HP along with the 2" V-bar to a lesser degree.

Andrew and Brent were very strong, no weak events.

As Zach mentioned Andrew was world class on the axle. Amazing!! A pleasure being able to witness huge pulls like that. :rock

Dan's friend Russ came in for a solid Third. Very little training, naturally strong.

Alex Coulter, around 15 years old beat his big brother, Ryan. :blink

I finally lifted the IronMind Axle with 8-45's, a goal of mine since the first Michigan Comp where I pulled it up halfway.

I pulled 290 on the V-bar, depending on the calibration. Not quite strong enough for 300.

Thanks to the good wraps I borrowed, (Andrew or Brents)? I finally hit a 7" square bend, reverse.

Thanks to Zach and his family for a good Contest/Food.

Sounds like a great little contest! I'll have to ask Dan about Russ next time I see him. What did Andrew pinch?

Mr. Somethingorother sounds like he has some real promise!!!

Sounds like a good comp. and congrats to all!

Tim

Huh, I knew there was more. Brent pulled 180 for a 1st PR and Andrew managed 180 shortly thereafter. Then Brent pulled 190 and looked STRONG all the way up on his 4th attempt. (notice the emphasis on "strong") That is an event Andrew will have to train :devil

I actually think that humid conditions make my Vbar stick like glue and 2HP devices just a tad slippery-er. The last two times it was "Humid" and I used my Vbar, I pulled PR's soooo....

POOP! I totally forgot to thank the Tims!!!

Tim Tolbert and Tim Iacobucci both sent me bends and scrolls respectively as prizes for the comp! A BIG THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU!!!

Oh yeah, Tim I, the guys couldn't get over that 1/2" scroll or the twists you put in it :rock :rock :rock And Tim T, everyone, Russ especially, was just tickled pink by your bends. Just crazy short, crazy strong bends and everyone went home with the bend of their choosing :)

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Good work everyone! What were all the pinch numbers?

Congrats to everyone competing and supporting! :D It sounds like Andrew will be setting a new American record (maybe WR) on the axle in no time if he's fresh.

Good work everyone! What were all the pinch numbers?

Myself and Dan Sweeney both got 147 in the 2HP and jumped to 171 to qualify and both failed. We stopped after that.

Ryan managed 137

Russ and Durniat pulled 180

Dave pulled at least a calibrated 210 and we got confused around the 220 range(I ran out of plates :blush ) and pulled 225 in plate weights halfway up on his last attempt.

Brent pulled 190

Alex pulled 100lbs(at 15 with sub-7" hands and no prior training)

All #'s have been adjusted for the width of the apparatus and Dave's setup was calibrated at a post office.

When I got home last night my wife put the Tim Iacobucci scroll up on the mantle.

I had a lot of fun.

the humidity and pinch and v-bar was really weird. It was damp enough that if someone slipped off, the metal was almost clean. And yet it felt pretty good. The more vs. less humid argument is probably more like an equation with humidity vs air temp/equipment temp X some constant. in other words I have no idea what makes a difference and just need to do it on the day.

And I will pull over 200 at the GGC.

brent

Zach,

Would it be possible to get all of my final numbers. I don't know what I did on the axle or v-bar.

brent

Zach,

Would it be possible to get all of my final numbers. I don't know what I did on the axle or v-bar.

brent

Absolutely. I just forgot the score sheets at the property. I fully plan on posting the full results by the end of today :)

Oh and Jedd, the exact weights on the 2HP were:

Myself and Dan Sweeney- 147.412

Ryan- 137.412

Russ and Durniat- 180.812

Brent- 190.812

Alex-100.412

Dave- 210.812

all in all, an awesome contest! Thanks to all the Coulters, especially Zach! I was happy with my vbar, but the 2hp and axle just would not cooperate. The axle was close though. It was awesome seeing Andrews crazy numbers on the axle and vbar. It was also really cool seeing my friend do so well! It was also great to see the PR's by everyone! Congratulations to all!

Outstanding Job by Zach and his family. I cannot thank you enough for holding this contest, for doing so it is allowing me to go and compete on Aug. 30. Thank you Brent for the wraps, I will put them to good use as I start my reverse bending journey.

Dave, watching you lift is a sure pleasure, and there is not a more humble man around. Your help and guidance was much appreciated by all.

I can't wait to do it again.

zach, thanx to you and all the rest of the guys who helped the rookie out with technique and encouragement! i really appreciate everything n everyone, you guys were awesome! I've had a perma grin on my face ever since. I was very impressed with the event and the TRUE comraderie. I'm pumped up about training! hope to see ya'll real soon!

ps. my given name is Rosario Cusenza but Russ somethingorother has a RING to it

Zach,

brent

Absolutely. I just forgot the score sheets at the property. I fully plan on posting the full results by the end of today :)

Oh and Jedd, the exact weights on the 2HP were:

Myself and Dan Sweeney- 147.412

Ryan- 137.412

Russ and Durniat- 180.812

Brent- 190.812

Alex-100.412

Dave- 210.812

Outstanding Job by Zach and his family. I cannot thank you enough for holding this contest, for doing so it is allowing me to go and compete on Aug. 30. Thank you Brent for the wraps, I will put them to good use as I start my reverse bending journey.

Dave, watching you lift is a sure pleasure, and there is not a more humble man around. Your help and guidance was much appreciated by all.

I can't wait to do it again.

My thanks also to Zach whose contest has really help solidify the line-up at GGC this year with the addition of a now qualified Andrew Durniat. Now if only Ryan Klein would come out of hiding. Still about 6 weeks left to get ready for the event!

No problem Russ and I hope to see you at my next comp!!!

It was certainly not your typical contest but more like an organized, official get-together with enough guys to hold a decent comp. I'm not happy with it but it got the job done!

Full results

(I will post best lifts in each event unless asked otherwise)

Overall

1. Andrew Durniat-9

2. Brent Barbe-15

3. Rosario Cusenza-23.5

4. Zach Coulter-29

5. Dan Sweeney-29.5

6. Alex Coulter-33

7. Ryan Coulter-33.5

8. Dave Thornton-0

Grippers

Andrew - Easy Elite

Brent - Easy 3

Russ- 2

Zach- Easy 3

Dan- Passed on all attempts

Alex- #1

Ryan- Bombed out attempting the #2

Dave- RB330N and only failed a sub 3.5 RB300 because I could not see the close :(

2HP

Andrew - 180

Brent - 190

Russ - 180

Zach - 150

Dan - 150

Alex - 95

Ryan - 140

Vbar

Andrew - 301.9 (he actually had a solid, legal height pull with 316.9 but dropped it :cry )

Brent - 270

Russ - 240

Zach - 200

Dan - 200

Alex - 110

Ryan - 160

Dave - 290

DO Axle

Andrew - 441

Brent - 333

Russ - 323

Zach - Bombed out attempting 293

Dan - Bombed out attempting 293

Alex - 153

Ryan - 213

Dave - 393

Reverse Bending

Andrew - 1/4x7 Sq.

Brent - Easy G5

Russ - Bombed out(scared a G5 though)

Zach - Bombed out(scared 2 G5's though)

Dan - Easy G5

Alex - 3/16x7 CRS

Ryan - Bombed out(scared a G5 though)

Dave - 1/4x7 Sq. and wobbled a 515 bastard :whacked

I just wasn't strong enough on Sunday to pull off my axle or reverse bending. The comp on Sat. didn't help and totally fatigued Ryan. Andrew wasn't affected as badly, as if you couldn't tell. Both Dan and myself were very close to qualifying. I would've qualified had I not encouraged Russ to compete :pinch That'll teach me to open my big mouth :rolleyes Seriously though, Russ, you did awesome for literally never seeing any of this before or even lifting before. Dave was, as ever, the humblest man any of us had ever met :cool Andrew was as amazing as ever. Brent was on his 2HP game! I think your spending your time wisely on your 2HP experiment man!

Congrats to all :rock

Congrats on the Axel AD :bow Very Strong Lift :rock

Big Dave...you need to compete at GGC :rock

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, I thought I posted this here, or somewhere, but oh well. Russ was kind enough to want to put his name next to Dave's in the "Just for fun" category. As a result, I move from 4th to 3rd place. I've checked it over with Jedd and he says it's a go. So, now I'm qualified for GGC and can compete!!!

Unfortunately, short of a miracle, I wont be able to make it out to GGC :cry I cannot justify the expense of a hotel room and my car is not likely to take a 16 hr round trip without giving me some grief. Plus I can't stand driving by myself in a car with no radio. I mean come on! I start singing to myself on the way to work so imagine what would happen over the course of 16hrs :whacked I really hate to ask, but I will. IF there is anyone out there who will be driving by the Southeast Michigan/Northeast Ohio area to GGC and plan's on driving straight through, mind if I tag along? I'd help out in the way of gas of course :)