Rated Gripper Close

ewokhugo

Great stuff Juha! Wishing you the best in your recovery and looking forward to you future accomplishments.

That is an unreal level of dedication and persistence. Would you mind sharing what your training history on grippers is? For example, what gripper you initially started at and how long it took you to close certain milestone grippers like the 3, 3.5 etc. Thanks!

Many dudes knows it already but here it is:

2007 my pectoralis major went totally broken at bench press. Surgeon operated it and I started easy rehab. In the same year I saw how Teemu Ilvesniemi crushed #3 officially. Teemu´s judge said that IM#3 cert is more bigger thing than 300kg bench press. :blink I have done 10x190kg set at raw bench before injury and I think that I must try those grippers too. I ordered #3 and #4. First try with #3 ( no setting) was 10mm open. Teemu advised me what I have to do better (setting, magnesium etc...) and then I closed #3 at parallel set. It took about 2 monts.

I did more work with gripper and 2008 I closed Matti Heiskase´s Elite (3.43) with both hands. Then I did IM#3 cert and closed more grippers too. For example many IM#3.5 grippers (3.47), (3.53), (3.56), (3.68), FBBC Hard (3.71), Beef Builder narrow pro2 (3.58), Beef Builder Super Elite (3.64), etc.... At the same time I tried to close also IM4 grippers. It did not work. All were open. I also watched our biggest gripper idol, Paul Knight´s awesome videos and I tried to learn his tecnique. I trained very hard and competed at all grip contest at the same time. I had lot of injuries because I trained too hard and I didnt listen what my body tried to tell me.

After injuries rehab I started to do more speed and explosive closes with lighter grippers and it worked! I got lot of more speed and power, I noticed that I can do also reps with big grippes. I took big step forward. Then I closed Beef Builder Super Elite (3.82)(198.67 lbs) on GripBoard´s list and IM#3.5 & couple of Elites with CCS. But something was still missing because IM#4 was still 1mm open. I watched more and more Paul´s gripper tecnique and then...BOOOOM! I realized what is missing! Holy (bad word filter)! I started my training harder than ever but also smarter than ever. Then I closed two big grippers without any problems and I signed in MM queue.

MM1 and 2 was formalities, scared MM3 was friction but easy. MM4-MM6 was easy too because for the first time in my life I knew what I had to do exatly that everything went right. BIG thanks to Paul´s setting video. Also Chad Woodall´s awesome attitude at his grip working is marvelous. I watched his MM6 video 80-100 times before it was mine turn to close it. I appreciate Paul and Chad very much. I have always wanted to become as hard as they.

Then I signed in to MM7. My last trainings for MM7 went good. I closed IM#4 first time with MM-Set and 20mm block, all BBSE´s and other grippers was easy, (only BBpro still 1mm open) and I was ready for big day.

I and Matt was wondered why MM7 didn´t arrive to me. MM7 stuck in customs. Later I got MM7 and two attempts were 2mm open, one 1mm. It was horrible. :wub:

Later I´ll do return match with MM7. Now I need rest and get more motivation. Big grippers needs really much of your mental capacity and broken teeth etc.... :)

• Like 7

Sorry this offtopic but I must mention one thing what I forgot erlier. 2008 I closed Beef Builder Pro narrow (3.69) (190.95lbs) and this gripper was really bad ass.

Please watch my video 2.55 forward:

Juha,

I completely ruptured my pec last August and I am still very weak on the bench but getting strong on grip. Good to know someone of your strength caliber defeated a real tough injury. A true grip monster! Keep demolishing those 4s!!!

Jonathan

Juha is a tough act to follow. I feel like a weak little girl next to that guy. I set a rated gripper MMS PR last night. I closed my 179.7 lb rated COC #3.5. The gripper was rated my Chris Rice. I only closed it for a brief moment while the camera was far away. It opened slightly as the camera came close. I included stills of the close to show it was actually closed at one point. The video is in slow motion as well because I had to hit fast with everything I had to make the handles touch.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...