Rated Gripper Close

ewokhugo

I think the "3.0" scale is pretty worthless now that we know what the calibrated number is. No sense dicking around with an extra math step. Really, just list the poundage and save the confusion.

It's much more fun to compare 3.34 with 3.41 and so on, then it is to compare 170,1 with 174,2 pounds! :D

A matter of perspective I think. Some prefer to think in .5 steps and others in 5-10lb steps. I'm with Bob and Josh, just use lbs :) I always get confused on the math after the weights. I still think that, for arguments sake, there should be a 3.0 scale using 150-152.5 as a "perfect" #3. That'll answer a lot of noob questions quickly if nothing else.

I think the "3.0" scale is pretty worthless now that we know what the calibrated number is. No sense dicking around with an extra math step. Really, just list the poundage and save the confusion.

It's much more fun to compare 3.34 with 3.41 and so on, then it is to compare 170,1 with 174,2 pounds! :D

I agree with the fun-aspect. BUT it seems to me too many guys are confused how to come up with the ratings correctly. IF it was more simple for everyone to get the ratings right, I'd vote for the rating. At present, I'm leaning more towards the poundage seeing how people get their ratings wrong. Maybe the program you wrote might come handy here? Edited by Teemu I

A matter of perspective I think. Some prefer to think in .5 steps and others in 5-10lb steps. I'm with Bob and Josh, just use lbs :) I always get confused on the math after the weights. I still think that, for arguments sake, there should be a 3.0 scale using 150-152.5 as a "perfect" #3. That'll answer a lot of noob questions quickly if nothing else.

:angry:

I grew up with 2.xx and 3.xx! hehe :)

I agree with the fun-aspect. BUT it seems to me too many guys are confused how to come up with the ratings correctly. IF it was more simple for everyone to get the ratings right, I'd vote for the rating. At present, I'm leaning more towards the poundage seeing how people get their ratings wrong. Maybe the program you wrote might come handy here?

http://rapidshare.com/files/128198740/RGC_v.02.zip.html

Guess I won't get a price for it. :D

I agree with the fun-aspect. BUT it seems to me too many guys are confused how to come up with the ratings correctly. IF it was more simple for everyone to get the ratings right, I'd vote for the rating. At present, I'm leaning more towards the poundage seeing how people get their ratings wrong. Maybe the program you wrote might come handy here?

http://rapidshare.com/files/128198740/RGC_v.02.zip.html

Guess I won't get a price for it. :D

It does what it is supposed to do, thanks for putting it together. :)

i am downloading the file right now... Thanks a lot Martin!

i have also have Matti's website(calibration from Finland).

putting 3.49 instead of 179 lbs looks better.

will update soon ;)

Edited by ewokhugo

will update soon ;)

I'm glad you decided to start this list, I think it's a good motivator for people. :rock

I tend to agree with you, Bob.

The big reason I like this is that even though the rating is simply a math conversion, the math is based on targets that are our own invention. But the poundage is just the poundage as long as the setup is sound.

My best calibrated gripper close MMS is a BBGE set at MM6 specs. It tested out at 195#. Eric watched some of my attempts on Eatons 199# #4 at SOH in between the contest choker closes and I remember getting that one pretty close as well. Just a matter of time and effort once my finger heals up.

- Aaron

Aaron is a "Show Off" :tongue

will update soon ;)

Hugo, Thank you starting the list here. It is nice to see how the people take the list here:) Like the Teemu said, it is a good motivator. Martin, I agree that it is much more reliefiing see the rating than just pounds or kilos. Thanx for sharing this program :)

My best so far is #3.5 (3.47/177,7lbs/80.5kg´s).

Maybe I can do better, but I have no grippers between 3.47/#3.5 - 3.73/ProN. :blink

Edited by Nahkuri

Temmu/Matti: i am happy both of u liked the idea to create this list! i believe this is a TOP list not for the "average guy", because most of the advanced grip guys calibrated their grippers ... the "motivator" factor its so important.

Temmu: Please use regular grippers only (not narrow)...the reason: most of the people will use coc's and regular bb's.

What's your best close using one regular bbuilder? 3.80??

Martin/To Tall: if u guys like the "motivator" factor fell free to post your P.R ...if not thanks for posting here:-))

Edited by ewokhugo

:angry:

I grew up with 2.xx and 3.xx! hehe :)

Stop living in the past, Old Man! :D

I've got 60 odd grippers, I really ought to get a gripper calibrator...

OVER THE TOP CHALLENGE! WHO WILL REACH A BIGGER GRIPPER THAN 4.0?

Remember, Tommy is a board member...I think it's been won :D;)

This is not to take anything away from Tommy, but I'm not too sure about that. The highest KNOWN calibrated poundage #4 to be closed was 190 lbs.

No offence meant buddy, but that type of statements have a habit of turning into stories told as truth. Even if you express you are kidding with emoticons.

i support this kind of thread as it helps motivate people, but the number of grippers that have been calibrated is a very small % of the number of grippers that have been closed + a calibration will only tell you which gripper is harder if two grippers have exactly the same spread, knurling, and sweep strength, otherwise it's only which has a harder close >i have tried a 4.01 #4 an can tell you with absolute fact that somebody has closed more than one gripper harder than this, not to mention magnus samuelson has more than likely closed grippers that would calibrated at 4.0 or above hundreds if not thousands of times

Paul, you are right about calibration having it's limits and telling only the difficulty of the close, but this far there's no better way to make comparisons when people are using their own grippers. Once again the MM-ladder is a superior way to compare as it's as objective as it gets with grippers, but I don't think there's anything wrong with doing comparisons with RGC-calibrated grippers as well. It's only part of the fun to have lists like this and it should be taken as such, not too seriously. It seems to me that more and more people are now measuring their grippers with RGC, which is cool and compared to the old "squeeze and rate"-method it is a much better way to get atleast some kind of more accurate feedback where you stand at grippers at the moment. I will say it again that it should not be taken too seriously, that's the principle we have went by in Finland with our unofficial gripper ranking, everybody is having even better time than before with their grippers and that is not a bad thing. For me atleast grip is still just a hobby no matter how seriously I train and fun should always be a part of any hobby.

Martin/To Tall: if u guys like the "motivator" factor fell free to post your P.R ...if not thanks for posting here:-))

I haven't tried any RGC calibrated grippers yet. But my best so far is 3.65 with both hands. I'll update in a couple of weeks, hopefully with something nearer 3.8 with both hands :)

I haven't tried any RGC calibrated grippers yet. But my best so far is 3.65 with both hands. I'll update in a couple of weeks, hopefully with something nearer 3.8 with both hands :)

My best is 3.81 Righty and 3.60 Lefty...ALL done at the MGC in Germany 2007.

Chad Woodall

thanks to both of u!(Chad and martin)

NOTE: Dont post your P.B using one narrow gripper.

Deep sets are not allowed (less than paralell)

Temmu: whats your P.B using one regular gripper? thanks.

Edited by ewokhugo

temmu told me he closed his coc#3.5(3.68) and he's 1mm from his 3.80(u can read it at Temmu's log)

So far this is my PR on regular spread grippers:

CoC #3.5 / 86 kg / 190 lbs / rating = 3.68

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cfD-duDcxBI

So far this is my PR on regular spread grippers:

CoC #3.5 / 86 kg / 190 lbs / rating = 3.68

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cfD-duDcxBI

Very strong close :rock

1-Too Tall -----------USA------------3.81 ------------(-----)

2-Acorn --------------USA-------------3.76-----------(BBGE)

3-Temmu I ---------FINLAND--------3.68------------(COC#3.5)

4-Martin Arildsson ---------------SWEDEN--------3.65------------------------(----)

5-Bencrush------------------------USA-------------3.49------------------------(BBE)

6-Nahkuri--------------------------FINLAND--------3.47------------------------(COC#3.5)

7-Kilkkinen------------------------FINLAND--------3.43-------------------------(BBE)

8-Porkchop -----------------------USA-------------3.34-------------------------(BBE)

9-Lukeamdman-------------------USA ------------3.31-------------------------(COC#3)

10-Koura--------------------------FINLAND--------3.28-------------------------(COC#3.5)

11-Malachimcmullen--------------USA-------------3.04-------------------------(COC#3)

12-Cannon------------------------USA-------------2.98-------------------------(COC#3)

13-Noob Saibot-------------------ENGLAND-------2.72-------------------------(D.H.R.W.M)

Edited by ewokhugo

1-Too Tall -----------USA------------3.81 ------------(-----)

2-Acorn --------------USA-------------3.76-----------(BBGE)

3-Temmu I ---------FINLAND--------3.68------------(COC#3.5)

4-Martin Arildsson ---------------SWEDEN--------3.65------------------------(----)

5-Bencrush------------------------USA-------------3.49------------------------(BBE)

6-Nahkuri--------------------------FINLAND--------3.47------------------------(COC#3.5)

7-Kilkkinen------------------------FINLAND--------3.43-------------------------(BBE)

8-Porkchop -----------------------USA-------------3.34-------------------------(BBE)

9-Lukeamdman-------------------USA ------------3.31-------------------------(COC#3)

10-Koura--------------------------FINLAND--------3.28-------------------------(COC#3.5)

11-Malachimcmullen--------------USA-------------3.04-------------------------(COC#3)

12-Cannon------------------------USA-------------2.98-------------------------(COC#3)

13-Noob Saibot-------------------ENGLAND-------2.72-------------------------(D.H.R.W.M)

Should have went with the poundage because your list is likely already inaccurate since there are at least two different rating systems represented on it.

Yup, this list isn't right. You have the RGC and the European system represented.

Again why I prefer just using poundage, if that is what you are talking about.