Animal Roars Again !

AnimalCage

I didn't work out during my heavy years due to a popped disk (1996) and back pain. Actually, I never really worked out, so I wouldn't have any numbers to compare to. I was just your typical work-outdoors-healthy-type person. In four years (1997-2001) I put on 52 pounds due to a sedentary lifestyle, and have been fighting it back down since.

My Humble Opinion: Healthy first, then strong. I would rather do well in a mini-triathlon than hit a bench press PR. Ultimately, I'll do both.

Weight: 222 lbs (holiday eating et al)

Swam this week for the first time in years, thought I was going to die. Today was a little better. Grip tomorrow.

Looks like I would have bet you in both swimming and drinking ;)

Did you ever do some running? Don't know what it's called in English but try this: Walk for 2 minutes, then sprint for 30 seconds, walk for 2 mins, sprint, walk, sprint, walk and so on until you got your desired distance. You'll be able to run the entire distance in no time and ... well... loose plenty of weight ;)

Klesen...what you mention about running is a form of interval training and is very popular around here for people training to run a first 5K. There are programs called "Couch to 5K" on both runnersworld.com and coolrunning.com that are similar, and you can start at whatever walk/run ratio is necessary.

Klesen...what you mention about running is a form of interval training and is very popular around here for people training to run a first 5K. There are programs called "Couch to 5K" on both runnersworld.com and coolrunning.com that are similar, and you can start at whatever walk/run ratio is necessary.

Thanks!

There you got it, Alan!

No grip work today either. Whole family, up all night, paying homage to the porcelain throne. I may have reached my goal weight, but not in a manner considered safe or healthy!

Actually tried interval sprinting just before the cold weather hit. My back is always the problem with high impact exercises like running. Not having done any serious running since '86, I was sucking wind, but I liked it. I'm hoping to strengthen my core so by spring I can run more successfully, with less pain. I was tempted to buy Diesel's Combat Core, but the whole family benefits from the YMCA.

Thanks for the input, I will resume my attempt at interval running when the weather warms. Until then, its the pool, the machines, and, of course, the quest for the #3.

Note: I did the interval running in my Vibrams. I know, even higher impact, but it felt right.

• 3 weeks later...

Grip had been inconsistent at best. At this point, I am other places mentally.

One place is in the gym. Focused on getting my boys there, and trying to get a consistent workout routine going. Swimming is at least twice a week, trying for Tues, Thurs, and Sat mornings. Right now, workouts are Monday and Thursday evenings. Anything else is gravy.

Since I've never done any lifting, I have followed Derek's suggestion and ordered Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" (See Strength and Power forum, Looking for advice for my 14 yo). I also read a bunch of the bb.com thread, and started squats deads benches etc. I have no form, and I'm not sure what my back will handle, so I am starting very light.

I do squeeze the grippers every couple 'o days, but the strength isn't there. Can't close the #2 lefty, 3 reps best righty. I'm not worried, when I return to grip mentally (soon), the 3 will start worrying again.

Don't worry about it! When you got in the groove you'll feel much more comfortable with weight lifting and when your mind's set on grippers again you'll also kill that #3 ;)

Well, Brendan just flipped my switch. Talk of a little comp in the area, maybe. Didn't have my grippers, so I used a 36" pipe wrench for front and side levers, singles. On the side levers, my hand was 8" from the end. I will weigh the pipe wrench next week. Tried hubbing a few fan motors, not really heavy, different sizes.

Monday:

Squats, Bench, Deads, Dips

Basketball

Yesterday:

T, r - 10,10,10,10

T, l - 10,10,10,10

#1, r - 10,10,10

#1, l - 10,10,7

#2, r - 1,1,1,1,1,1

#2, l - miss, m,m,m

Today:

T, r - 10,10,10,10

T, l - 10,10,10,10

#1, r - 10,10,10,10

#1, l - 10,7,8,8

#2, r - 1,3,1,1

#2, l - m,m,1,1,1

Abs, basketball

Yesterday:

20 min swim

Squats, Deads, Bench, Assisted Dips/Chins

Today:

T, r - 10,10,10,10,10

T, l - 10,10,10,10,10

#1, r - 10,10,10,10,10

#1, l - 10,10,7,7,4

#2, r - 2,3,1,1

#2, l - 2,m,m,m

Side levers with spade - 2x3 each hand

Thickhandle db with 3" pipe, cinderblock, and rope, many each hand

Had an Out-of-the-Box experience today. Received my Ironmind order: Sport, 1.5, 2.5, Expand your hand Bands.

First thoughts: Sport, no-brainer. easy. 1.5, not much different than my '02 #1. 2.5, not much different than my '04 #2. Couldn't close the 2.5 out of box.

Second thoughts: After tiring my hands from multiple 2.5 attempts, I noticed, with my left hand, that the 1.5 is harder than the 1, still not by much. There is a huge jump from the 1.5 to the 2. Same with the 2.5, harder than the #2, but not midways to the #3. I believe I do have good stepping stones from the #2 to the #2.5 to the PDA 343 to the #3. More like a 2, 2.3, 2.8, 3. Need a 3.5 to round out the set, just not there yet.

And, after 11 attempts and a half hour rest, came back and closed the 2.5. I may be revisiting the Coin Challenge soon...

No grip this past week. Swimming on Tuesday morning, did a little better. Wife is teaching me how to breathe better. Felt very weak and tired Tuesday evening, just shot some hoop. Thursday evening, did the usual workout. Keep in mind, bad back and knees, and no lifting experience.

Squats 50 lbs, 3x10

Deadlifts 50 lbs, 3x10

Bench 70 lbs, 3x10

Dips, 100 lb assist, 3x10

Pullups, 90 lbs assist, 3x10

Abs

Torso rotation 105 lbs, 3x10

Ab crunch 90 lbs, 3x10

Torso raises, 10,7

On December 19 '08, I could only do 20 lb shoulder press, with pain, due to injury. Did 60 lbs 3x, no pain.

Weight - 224 lbs

It's nice to have those in between grippers. I had the same experience I guess. Not so much of a jump from #2 to #2.5, but I still haven't closed the #3 yet.

WooHoo! 7 seconds with the 2.5 for the Coin Challenge!

Tuesday workout was same workout as last post.

Last night was essentially the same, added dbShoulderPresses 25 lb, 3x10 (again, no pain. Hopefully, its over.) Felt really good, will increase bench to 90lb, dips to 70 lb assist. Keeping squats and deads same, watching knees carefully.

Gripper workout today. Again, felt good. Have had trouble lefty closing the 2, did a 10-sec hold today. Numerous attempts with the 2.5 after the coin hold, no gas. 3 10-sec timed holds with the 2 righty. TH with the 1.5 lefty. Cooldown with various lower grippers.

Will start chokers again. I feel like I'm close to where I was in November. The #3 will let me know for sure.

Nice work Alan :rock Hope to meet you at one of the contests or griptogethers soon.

Thanks, John. That will be great. Hopefully, our company will expand further west into New York, and I'll have an excuse to drive the company van in that direction. Schenectady is our furthest west currently. There was talk about Syracuse at one point. NJ and PA seem to dominate the latest rumors.

Workouts:

Same process both Monday and Thursday. Upped bench to 90 lbs, dips down to 70 lbs assist. Squats can go up 10 lbs or so. I hate deadlifts. Knees and back still a question mark. I've decided to set a goal of 300 lb bench by the time I turn 50 (01/15), and I would still like to do a handstand pushup by then.

Grippers:

Worked the 1.5 on the off days. It's good for that. Tonight, multiple 10-sec holds lefty with #2. Just missed the 2.5 righty. Grrrrrr. Worked down through the easier grippers as my hands crapped out.

Schenectady is our furthest west currently.

Hmm. Only 20 minutes away from me :whistel

• 2 weeks later...
Schenectady is our furthest west currently.

Hmm. Only 20 minutes away from me :whistel

Now Matt, don't be hatin'! There's a good and logical reason for everything. PM Sent.

Workouts have lacked any serious grip training in the past two weeks. Gym workouts have been consistent, with small improvements in some lifts. Will try to get some grip in this weekend.

Squat - 70#

Bench - 90#

Deads - 70#

Dips - 60# assist

DB Shoulder Press - 25#

All lifts are 3x10

Weight - 223#

I've decided to set a goal of 300 lb bench by the time I turn 50 (01/15), and I would still like to do a handstand pushup by then.

Right on brother!!! :rock

Thanks Blackdog. I am excited about the possibilities opening up over the next six years.

Still focused on the gym. Squats to 90#, 3x8 just because its new. Dips to 50# assist, 3x10, but I can't do db shoulder presses directly after dips. For some odd reason, the weight just won't go up. I may try 90# in deads next time, then stick with these weights for a bit.

My boys decided it would be fun to 2-on-1 me in basketball. Ugh. I still beat them by a point, but with the old man slowing down, and the young studs about to engage warp drive, that will be a short-lived victory.

No grip training. I was being avoidant when I said "Still focused on the gym." That really meant "Still neglecting grip." At this point in time, with what little free time I have, working out benefits me the most, and I can spend time with kids and wife. Even though we work out separately (except for basketball), we are there together in the same room, and that means alot.

Things should chill out by summer, which means more time for the things I want, including serious grip, and a social life. That includes us getting together!

Heck, you know that getting stronger in the big lifts will only have a positive carryover anyway when you get back to the grip stuff.

No grip training. I was being avoidant when I said "Still focused on the gym." That really meant "Still neglecting grip." At this point in time, with what little free time I have, working out benefits me the most, and I can spend time with kids and wife. Even though we work out separately (except for basketball), we are there together in the same room, and that means alot.

Things should chill out by summer, which means more time for the things I want, including serious grip, and a social life. That includes us getting together!

Right on! Family first. :rock

My grip work has sucked lately. So I'm at work, and I spy this sort of thick phonebook...

1.9", took 13 minutes. PR!!!!!!! There goes one goal for the year.

Car is in the shop, so I won't get to the gym this week. However, the grippers are within arm's reach, and there's always Tae-bo!