Animal Roars Again !

AnimalCage

He's the ten year old in the photo taken six years ago doing the 60 lb 2HP. He is now 16. Still on the smaller side (5' 9", 140 lbs), but has strong mitts and is fiercely competitive.

Worked out of state for a few days, couldn't find my #1 when I was leaving. (Left it in the car, drive a work van...) Had to abuse the Trainer while gone. Day 11 of the pushup challenge, feel better already. Pushups are free, highly portable, and a good all around exercise for those of us who don't gym. Yet. My brother will be visiting for the weekend, I may break my rule and break out the #2. Maybe we'll just try the coin challenge again with the #1.

Brother showed up, and, as expected, I pulled out not just the #2, but all of my grippers. First touch on the #2 and BAM! 16 second penny hold RH. Haven't tried LH. Couldn't close my PDA 343 (2.7 from now on).

Brother showed up, and, as expected, I pulled out not just the #2, but all of my grippers. First touch on the #2 and BAM! 16 second penny hold RH. Haven't tried LH. Couldn't close my PDA 343 (2.7 from now on).

Great job on the #2 hold for 16 seconds! You're surely ahead of schedule, aren't you? Good stuff man. Hope to see an all-time gripper PR before the end of next month.

Haven't really been hard gripping, working long days (13 - 16 hours). Have the Trainer in the van, so I get a little workout, plus arms were sore from Sunday's playtime in the rocks (a small gorge to go climbing in), so I took it easy early in the week. Then I get home today and...

PR !!!! Double-stamped #2, 10 Righty! First 8 felt easy.

In my earlier grip journeys, I didn't rest as much (if at all) between workouts. I am definitely going to rest between hard days, maybe 2 or 3 days of just Trainer.

Rock and Roll, Baby!

Addendum to above... Took daughter to Army Nat'l Guard recruiter (no, she wasn't being forced....) While listening, noticed a deck of ARNG cards behind Sarge. They are now two half-decks of cards. It was one of my best card tears. Under 10 seconds, one adjustment, very neat tear. I have to learn to bite down, screw the adjustment, one shot and BAM! That will be a great moment.

Yesterday - Trainer only.

Today - Left hand finally woke up. Had at least a 10 second hold with the #2. Right didn't feel too strong, could've been the pizza for lunch. Played with the #2 awhile. Worked negs with the PDA, tried to use a pipe wrench to choke it. I guess it will do until I find something better. Still couldn't close it, but will work more with chokes on it and strapholds on the #2.

Progress to this point:

Short term goal:

Almost there. I think in August I can have "serious" workouts with the #2.

End of Year goals:

I will easily have a 20 second close with the #2. Forget the ruler. Or add the ruler, and a plate....

PDA 343 Close - I would like to see this by October. I am encouraged by the PRs I have attained this past month.

Bending - Will wait and see if I get into bending. I really want to focus on the #3, and my pushups.

Very nice! #2 for 10 reps...wow Alan. Good stuff. PM me with your address and I'll send you a hoseclamp so you can start smashing away on the PDA343 at a manageable distance. If you want a gripper routine let me know. I have one circulating among a few close friends that's working really well for them.

Ben, Thanks for all the encouragement. I must say I have never been so impressed by a forum, in person or in cyberspace, as the gripboard. Genuine people, dedicated, helping each other achieve a common goal. Seven years, and I'm still amazed.

Anyways, before you send the hoseclamp, I had an idea tonight as I was rummaging through the toolboxes here at work. I think a circular drill bit may work as a choker. The one here is a tad small for my PDA or at 1 3/4". I have a set at home, buried in storage, that I will find tomorrow, and see if one fits. It may be a great solution for those who have the right size bit hanging around. I tried it on my #2, and it slides right over the spring, but not the handles. If I can't find one that fits my PDA, I'll let you know.

And I would love a grip program. My main concern is if it is too intense, I will probably injure something again. I have already felt some of the old pains coming back with the harder grippers. Resting a few days with just the Trainer has felt pretty good. My other concern is I have so little time, most of my gripping is done while driving (I cover one or more of seven states on any given day). Hopefully soon, though, my personal life will balance out, and I will have more time to devote to hobbies, like grip training, my kids, my wife, my apartment, fixing my car....

Yeah, I know, I just posted...

I've been reading my old workout log. My longest timed hold on my double-stamped #2 was 18 seconds. (My coin challenge numbers should be higher). I have closed my PDA 3 times, one rep each time. (I can't close it now.) I've quit working out more times than I can track, come back from months and years of not working out, and immediately made PRs. (Eric Milfield suggested I write a book, leave most of the pages blank, then fill in the last few with intense workouts.)

My thoughts now:

- I need to stay healthy. A lot of my gaps in training were from injuries.

- I need to close my PDA gripper, and do it consistently.

- I need to stay strong emotionally. The push up challenge is, for me, much more than physical.

- I need to set PRs without taking long breaks. Maybe I'll set more of them?

- I don't need to declare a frontal assault on life. That's what got my 2nd collar bone broken.

- Ben used to be afraid of me. (Ok, maybe afraid is the wrong word)

My thoughts now:

- Ben used to be afraid of me. (Ok, maybe afraid is the wrong word)

Ha! :D I always liked and respected you, as I do now, if that's what you mean. I really miss the old Super Grip Challenge days. I kind of dreamed of getting a lot stronger and placing a lot higher at those than I did back in 2002 and 2003. But really I had a great time even then so it wouldn't have changed the way I felt about the contest and the people. Have you heard anything from Kevin Fulton since then?

Wow. Tired and pissed off is not a good combination. I'm glad you took that the right way. :rock

I guess my frustration lies in having basically no progress in 5 years, even if there were reasons beyond my control. I debated whether or not to post all that, but it's my log, it's my journey, and frustration has been a large part of it.

Besides, I am now definitely afraid of Ben... :bow

Challenge to the schedule gods... I think there are still 3 hours on Sunday evening when I am not working! Did you MISS THAT??? ARE YOU SLEEPING??? :yikes

Good thing grippers are portable. Could only manage a 14 second penny hold with the #2 today. Grrrr. I think its time for the Evil Straphold Device to find its way out of the basement.

Sorry Ben, but I haven't heard from or about Kevin or Matt Graham or anyone, for that matter. Too many disappearing acts for me, I guess. I just lose touch.

My doctor yelled at me again last week. Blood sugar too high, HDL too low. Time to change my diet around again. And I was feeling pretty darn good, too. So I changed my diet this week, and feel like crap. I know its the exercise portion of life that's killing me. If I could exercise like I want, then I could eat like I need to. I'm hoping life settles down by next month, and I'll have time to devote to a decent exercise routine.

Speaking of feeling like crap, could only manage a few singles with #2 today. Did a few singles last night, and was thoroughly humiliated by a deck of coated cards. Fortunately, the pushups are on track.

My doctor yelled at me again last week. Blood sugar too high, HDL too low. Time to change my diet around again. And I was feeling pretty darn good, too. So I changed my diet this week, and feel like crap. I know its the exercise portion of life that's killing me. If I could exercise like I want, then I could eat like I need to. I'm hoping life settles down by next month, and I'll have time to devote to a decent exercise routine.

Speaking of feeling like crap, could only manage a few singles with #2 today. Did a few singles last night, and was thoroughly humiliated by a deck of coated cards. Fortunately, the pushups are on track.

You're doing very well on the coin holds and stuff. I'd be glad if I was able to close a damn #2. So

chin up, man! Life sometimes sucks but don't let it get you down. I'm pretty sure you'll get better soon and find the time to train properly ;)

Ben

Thanks Ben. I took my frustrations out on the grippers tonight.

Pulled my ESD (Evil Straphold Device) out of the basement. Had a go with the #2 and 2.5#. Could only manage a few seconds righty. Lefty was no go. Did that to failure. Pulled the weight off, did RH (Ruler Holds) with the #2 until failure. Did reps with the #2 (mostly righty) until I couldn't close it anymore. Put the 2.5# back on, and pulled out the #1. Managed about 15 seconds both righty and lefty. Kept switching hands, times got shorter, until I couldn't hold it anymore. Pulled off the 2.5, did RH until failure. Did sets of reps with the #1 until I just couldn't close it anymore. Last set: Missed #1 righty, missed #1 lefty. I love failure!

Celebrated with a cold glass of goat milk.

Pulled my ESD (Evil Straphold Device) out of the basement. Had a go with the #2 and 2.5#. Could only manage a few seconds righty. Lefty was no go. Did that to failure. Pulled the weight off, did RH (Ruler Holds) with the #2 until failure. Did reps with the #2 (mostly righty) until I couldn't close it anymore. Put the 2.5# back on, and pulled out the #1. Managed about 15 seconds both righty and lefty. Kept switching hands, times got shorter, until I couldn't hold it anymore. Pulled off the 2.5, did RH until failure. Did sets of reps with the #1 until I just couldn't close it anymore. Last set: Missed #1 righty, missed #1 lefty. I love failure!

:rock I like that kind of training better than that high volume training with the CoC-T that you did a couple of weeks ago.

Celebrated with a cold glass of goat milk.

yummi yummi :) Did you squeeze it directly out of the goat? :D

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Ben, no, rather Wal-Mart squeezed me for the privilege of drinking it's goat milk. $$ :angry:

After a few 90-hour weeks, I'm back to a normal schedule. With some coaching from Ben E. :rock , I have the following to work with:

My #3 at parallel is just under 5/8". I am able to choke close it at 1/2". Very encouraging.

My 17yo Kevin informed me today that he closed my #2. I'm hoping he'll register on here and get really motivated. Raw talent is great, but he needs to develop it. There's a monster lurking inside.

My 17yo Kevin informed me today that he closed my #2. I'm hoping he'll register on here and get really motivated. Raw talent is great, but he needs to develop it. There's a monster lurking inside.

Get him registered! :rock ..... ehm..... Where's your log? ;)

Warmed up with #1 and #2.

Hoseclamped #3 at parallel (5/8"), righty:

1 - missed by less than a hair

2 thru 7 - 1/8"

8 - 1/16"

9 and 10 - gassed.

Lefty: HAHAHAHAHA! Back to the #2 dungeon, dog!