Professional Arm Wrestlers

popeye76

yeha read alot on that ask john page too its good reading. but listen. in the gym what is there that gets you good at arm wrestling? things like curls bench shoulder press all make you stronger. but they all only have a slight carry over to the table imo. you will get most of your srength from arm wrestling. but i think some people think unless your not lifting a weight your not gonna get any strength. when you can. remember you got your enemies arm resisting yours which will make you streonger in that way, just like a resistant in the gym will make you stronger in the direction your moving/puhsing/pressing it in. i beleive if you wanna beat someone with technique then you have to have more or less same amount as strength as them. and that doesnt mean bicep curl as much as them. apparently john wont touch a weight bigger than 30kg in the gym? hes got all his strength just from arm wrestling it seems.
All i can tell you is that i have a training partner who i have practice with for the last two years who i can always beat and he never lifted weights but he just started lifting and he has gotten alot harder to beat. His side and back-pressure both have gotten alot stronger from the weight lifting Edited by Robert Bishop

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darthsith19

• Robert Bishop

• Ivarboneless

• Pancake Sprawl

Well, this thread took a turn.

The old strength vs Technigue discussion

It really depends on who is AW. If a weaker AW'r is going against a stronger NON-AW'r and the AW'r wins....well thats Tech. Now if the NON-AW'r wins than the Tech was not enough and the Strength was more important.

If both know and try the same Tech than it totally come down to Strength.

Now which is more important....Thats easy.......Strength. I have seen many guys win based SOLELY on Strength but I have never seen a guy win based SOLELY on Tech. Your sister could be a Master Tech but she still will not beat her big brother. You can know all the Tech in the world but you still need strength to back it up.

And as far as what John may or may not of said in the past. I guarantee he thoughts have changed over the years. If you ask him now, He would say Hand and Wrist Strength is the Key.

I agree with most of that. But everybody has some strength, therefore everybody can use technique to some extent. What comes to my mind when I think about strength vs. technique is the worlds strongest man competition between Magnus Samuelsson and Nathan Jones, Magnus at 6'6 and 265, Jones at 6'10 and somewhere around 350 lbs. Jones is so strong that he easily destroys the first guy he armwrestles twice (it was just a flash both times). Jones even did steroids so he is very strong. Magnus was much weaker than Jones was at the time and he toprolled him into the pad in the first match. In the second match Jones' arm breaks in two places. Strength without technique won't enable you to contend with any professional armwrestler - a lot of strength without technique will get you a broken arm. That's my take on it. Obviously, a combination of both would be preferable (*cough* Dennis Cyplenkov *cough*)

Edited by Josh H

Well, this thread took a turn.

The old strength vs Technigue discussion

It really depends on who is AW. If a weaker AW'r is going against a stronger NON-AW'r and the AW'r wins....well thats Tech. Now if the NON-AW'r wins than the Tech was not enough and the Strength was more important.

If both know and try the same Tech than it totally come down to Strength.

Now which is more important....Thats easy.......Strength. I have seen many guys win based SOLELY on Strength but I have never seen a guy win based SOLELY on Tech. Your sister could be a Master Tech but she still will not beat her big brother. You can know all the Tech in the world but you still need strength to back it up.

And as far as what John may or may not of said in the past. I guarantee he thoughts have changed over the years. If you ask him now, He would say Hand and Wrist Strength is the Key.

I agree with most of that. But everybody has some strength, therefore everybody can use technique to some extent. What comes to my mind when I think about strength vs. technique is the worlds strongest man competition between Magnus Samuelsson and Nathan Jones, Magnus at 6'6 and 265, Jones at 6'10 and somewhere around 350 lbs. Jones is so strong that he easily destroys the first guy he armwrestles twice (it was just a flash both times). Jones even did steroids so he is very strong. Magnus was much weaker than Jones was at the time and he toprolled him into the pad in the first match. In the second match Jones' arm breaks in two places. Strength without technique won't enable you to contend with any professional armwrestler - a lot of strength without technique will get you a broken arm. That's my take on it. Obviously, a combination of both would be preferable (*cough* Dennis Cyplenkov *cough*)

The strength required for strongman and armwrestling aren't the same. The stronger arm typically wins. And when I say stronger I dont mean who can bench press more or who can OHP the most, AW strength is a very specific kind of strength. The kind of strength you get on the table which Magnus had a lot more of.

Magnus was much weaker than Jones was at the time and he toprolled him into the pad in the first match.

ok your not getting this i think. if u mean hes stronger overall. maybe. is his forearm stronger, is he stronger in the position he needs to be, obviously not as magnus puts him down like that. its like brzenk, most powerful amr wrestler in the world yes? sure. is he a strong p[erson? im sure he is but magnus overall i guess is stronger. its just brzenk has trained for that one task specific event and thats why arm wrestlers will beat anyone. jones was strong for what he trained for, which was WSM. magnus was strong for what he did, which was WSM and arm wrestling at the time or just before. so if your wondering who is stronger at arm wrestling, it is magnus duh, not jones.

Edited by raikkonen

Josh,

Your story about Magnus just proves my first point. Magnus is a AW'r and Jones is NOT a AW'r. You said Jones was stronger. So like I said that was technique.

BUT something to think about. If you could measure AW Stregnth. I'll bet Magnus was stronger.

Then you contradict yourself. You said "Strength without technique won't enable you to contend with any professional armwrestler" BUT then you mention Denis. That is a perfect example of Strength without technique being able to contend with a Pro AW'r

Edited by bob brown

Josh,

Your story about Magnus just proves my first point. Magnus is a AW'r and Jones is NOT a AW'r. You said Jones was stronger. So like I said that was technique.

BUT something to think about. If you could measure AW Stregnth. I'll bet Magnus was stronger.

Then you contradict yourself. You said "Strength without technique won't enable you to contend with any professional armwrestler" BUT then you mention Denis. That is a perfect example of Strength without technique being able to contend with a Pro AW'r

Save your breath Bobby !! :D

I concede about the armwrestling strength argument.

Denis has technique. Not as much as the pros but he does have it.