Professional Arm Wrestlers

popeye76

this maybe a dumb question but how do you become a professional armwrestler? do you have to win a certain tournament or a certain number of tournaments or what? my goal is to become a pro armpuller one day but that is far down the road.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darthsith19

• Robert Bishop

• Ivarboneless

• Pancake Sprawl

No, that's not a stupid question. For about a year now I've wanted to go pro but wasn't sure how to.

First, find tournament, if you haven't already. There are tournies listed online but also smaller ones that won't be. You may have to drive 2-3 hours for a tournament (more if you're dedicated enough or if the tourney is big enough). On that other site I linked you too, there is a whole section listing tournaments. I looked for you to see if there were any close ones there are 2 not to far from you. One is Louisville, Kentucky, the other is in Knoxville, Tennessee, not far from you, and there are novice classes, too (for people who are just starting). Look here:

http://www.armwrestling.com/000events.html

If you're wondering what classifies a professional armwrestler, that's a good question. I sometimes tell people that I am a professional, though I've actually only pulled one tournament, earlier this month. When around armwrestlers, I would call myself a novice. I suppose to be a professional you have to pull in the pro class at tournaments and be able to hold your own against some guys. Not win but if you are able to last against some guys in the pro class you are a pro I suppose, and you have to be able to win Amateur classes.

Edited by Josh H

No, that's not a stupid question. For about a year now I've wanted to go pro but wasn't sure how to.

First, find tournament, if you haven't already. There are tournies listed online but also smaller ones that won't be. You may have to drive 2-3 hours for a tournament (more if you're dedicated enough or if the tourney is big enough). On that other site I linked you too, there is a whole section listing tournaments. I looked for you to see if there were any close ones there are 2 not to far from you. One is Louisville, Kentucky, the other is in Knoxville, Tennessee, not far from you, and there are novice classes, too (for people who are just starting). Look here:

http://www.armwrestling.com/000events.html i appreciate your help, very helpful.

If you're wondering what classifies a professional armwrestler, that's a good question. I sometimes tell people that I am a professional, though I've actually only pulled one tournament, earlier this month. When around armwrestlers, I would call myself a novice. I suppose to be a professional you have to pull in the pro class at tournaments and be able to hold your own against some guys. Not win but if you are able to last against some guys in the pro class you are a pro I suppose, and you have to be able to win Amateur classes.

I'd say you enter a pro class with some names there and you take first that gives you pro status....

But if you win a pro class and no one is there then just call your self an up and comer. To save embarrassment later on.....

I'd say you enter a pro class with some names there and you take first that gives you pro status....

But if you win a pro class and no one is there then just call your self an up and comer. To save embarrassment later on.....

i've heard different things on this like wining money or two novice events then you turn pro but i dont know Edited by Robert Bishop

I think if you win money at a tournament, assuming it's not some backyard thing, you're a professional. A good novice will destroy 90% of the nonpulling population of the same weight and an average pro class puller will do even better. There's definitely a huge difference between someone that places 4th at nationals and Ron Bath but even the 4th place guy we'll be miles ahead of a nonpuller of the same weight. Would you consider the guys that fight after the main event on UFC pay-per-views, you know the real late ones, pro fighters? I'd say they're comparable to a very average pro puller. Also consider that even Brzenk has a day job so I don't think anybody is a professional in the truest sense of the word.

A good novice will destroy 90% of the nonpulling population of the same weight and an average pro class puller will do even better.

In the same weight, I would say much more than 90%. I am below the level of good novice and at my high school (of 1800 students) only one student can beat me with the right hand, and I am the top puller with my left. That's 1 out of 1800. Yes these are people ages 14-18, not adults, but you also said "of the same weight" and the kid who can beat me is +/- 75 lbs. heavier than me. I would say that a good novice can beat 99.99% of non-pullers in the same weight class.

Edited by Josh H

A good novice will destroy 90% of the nonpulling population of the same weight and an average pro class puller will do even better.

In the same weight, I would say much more than 90%. I am below the level of good novice and at my high school (of 1800 students) only one student can beat me with the right hand, and I am the top puller with my left. That's 1 out of 1800. Yes these are people ages 14-18, not adults, but you also said "of the same weight" and the kid who can beat me is +/- 75 lbs. heavier than me. I would say that a good novice can beat 99.99% of non-pullers in the same weight class.

Yup I'm with you on that point. I learned\trained AW techniques for a month along with specific resistance training, and I started beating everyone in my school. The difference between someone who never learned AW and a beginner is huge.

I heard if you enter a pro tournament and actually win some money (any level) you can't pull in novice class any more. Wouldn't that makes you a pro-class therefort? If you refuse to take any money then you can stay in novice class.

In strongman you win your "pro-card" by winning a certain contest. Seems a simple and completely reasonable means of achieving said objective. I'm surprised there isn't a similar set-up in AW.

In strongman you win your "pro-card" by winning a certain contest. Seems a simple and completely reasonable means of achieving said objective. I'm surprised there isn't a similar set-up in AW.

There would be if there was just one organization.....

Does this pro-card qualifying contest include pro's (Pfister, Beatty, etc..) or do you just have to beat out the other amateurs?

The old Pro-am system did, yes. They switched back to Platinum-Plus contests which are, unfortunately, exclusively amateur. Not at as a rule, however, because the HI contest this year included pro's. Which they all should, undoubtedly.

I don't want a new pro having not lined up with a pro or two already.

that's not really true unless you've pulled against all 1800, you shouldn't count the people you haven't pulled against cuz they're not really a part of it. just like in fighting, they don't count just the average joe.

that's not really true unless you've pulled against all 1800, you shouldn't count the people you haven't pulled against cuz they're not really a part of it. just like in fighting, they don't count just the average joe.

Yes, but just because I have never puleld some of them doesn't eman that I couldn't beat all of them. I said I can beat all of the others, not I did beat all of them. In boxing yes, the world champion is better than 100% of the world, not just the .0000001% that he has boxed.

Edited by Josh H

:rolleyes

What is that for? It's obviously true. jad said 'A good novice will destroy 90% of the nonpulling population of the same weight' obviously meaning that's what they could do but obviously there not actually going to pull 90% of the nonpulling population.

Edited by Josh H

Josh H, I'm just curious. What weight class do you fall into?

Yes, but just because I have never puleld some of them doesn't eman that I couldn't beat all of them. I said I can beat all of the others, not I did beat all of them. In boxing yes, the world champion is better than 100% of the world, not just the .0000001% that he has boxed.

it's true, just because you've never pulled some of them doesn't mean you can't beat them, but just because you said you can beat them doesn't mean you really can. i can say all kinds of stuff but that doesn't necessarily make it true.

the world champion is NOT better then 100% of the world, if that were true he'd never lose. Rocky Marciano is the only HW champion to go undefeated, does that mean he was better than 100% of the world? no. he was better than the guys he fought on that given night, the more you fight a person and the more you beat him shows that you are a better fighter, but fighting someone once and declaring you're better is not correct. you cannot possibly know if he's the best in the entire world, every champion had to come from nowhere and some nobody could beat him on a given day. championship belts and trophies are like gifts to show the world what you've accomplished. just like actors, there is no best actor in the world just cuz they get an academy award doesn't mean they're the best, otherwise there is too many "bests" in the world. it shows the accomplishments that they have done, and what they have done was great.

I weigh 165-175.

it's true, just because you've never pulled some of them doesn't mean you can't beat them, but just because you said you can beat them doesn't mean you really can. i can say all kinds of stuff but that doesn't necessarily make it true.

Yes, I can, I asked many people who the strongest people in the school would be and went against them all, I went against over 100 people at my school and only couldn't beat the one. I challenged the strongest people and people suggested other people who I should go against, people backed down when I challenged them, too. Armwrestling is ALL that I'm known for, if anyone else could have beaten me they would have done so. Everyone knew who I was and what I did, and I took out all the big guys; if any smaller guy would have beat me then the smaller guy would have had to be an actual armwrestler (novice or whatever) and then I'd have known about them and we would have armwrestled.

the world champion is NOT better then 100% of the world, if that were true he'd never lose.

Not true. If your THE best you're THE best. Sure everyone loses sometimes, even Brzenk. But Brzenk is THE best, so yes, he is better than 100% of the world, if he loses then he's either;

A. Not the best

B. The best, and just had a bad day, was fatigued, or injured

C. The guy who beat him had a good day

Just because you lose a couple matches a year doesn't mean you're not better than 100% of the world. There's a difference between being better than 100% of the world and winning 100% of your matches.

Rocky Marciano is the only HW champion to go undefeated, does that mean he was better than 100% of the world? no. he was better than the guys he fought on that given night, the more you fight a person and the more you beat him shows that you are a better fighter, but fighting someone once and declaring you're better is not correct.

If he was the champion, then he was better than 100% of the world. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be the champion. Just because a couple guys might be able to beat him a few times, doesn't mean he isn't better than 100% of the world. Being #1 is being better than 100% of the world; again, being better than 100% of the world isn't the same as winning 100% of your matches. Brzenk is the best, he doesn't win all his matches though, but as long as he is the best he is better than 100% of the world, if he wasn't, he wouldn't be THE best. That doesn't mean he doesn't ever lose, though. He does lose, but he is still the best (for now at least). And if somebody could have beaten Marciano, they would have.

you cannot possibly know if he's the best in the entire world, every champion had to come from nowhere and some nobody could beat him on a given day. championship belts and trophies are like gifts to show the world what you've accomplished. just like actors, there is no best actor in the world just cuz they get an academy award doesn't mean they're the best, otherwise there is too many "bests" in the world. it shows the accomplishments that they have done, and what they have done was great.

Correct, but until your mantle gets overthrown you are the best. Right now Brzenk is the best. Nobody in the world is better than him, hence he is better than 100% of the world. Once Cyplenkov, Voevoda, Larratt, Pushkar, whoever takes his mantle he won't be the best anymore. The actor thing isn't a good analogy at all, either, because actors aren't competing against each other. There is no "best actor" award that I know of, just best for individual films.

So yes, I was as good as I say I was, and being the best is being better than 100% of the world. If someone can beat you, but chooses not to, then they aren't the best. To be the best you have to go for it and prove yourself, otherwise your skills are for nothing and hence you're NOT the best. If someone beats you once but you can beat them every other time, you're still better than them. Being better than 100% of the world isn't the same as winning 100% of your matches.

Edited by Josh H

I weigh 165-175.

What state are you in?

I weigh 165-175.

What state are you in?

Minnesota.

Josh H, I would advise you to not let a few victories get to you. Some big guys with big benches are not great armwrestlers, as referenced by yourself. You are about 170lb you said, and you didn't look like a monster from the videos I saw, and you have no armwrestling training just a naturally strong arm for the sport. What prevents a 150lb guy, that doesn't get the credit for being strong, from beating you? A 150lb guy could be better and you would never know it, some guys are beasts despite being relatively weak in the gym.

Personal experience: I've beaten at least 6 guys with 300+lb bench press maxes (highest 365lbs RAW with 9" wrist) one of the guys (365lb bencher) got his finger stuck in the #3's spring, so his hands are huge, I beat him in ~20secs without leaning at all. I figured (naturally since the man is huge and strong) that he would be the best in the school, and a victory over him made me #1, not the case. A 138lb man (190lb bench) gave me more of a struggle (though I still won). Little did I know that he could bust out 3 one arm chins and curl 130lbs. You never know what someone can do. You also can't count forfeits as losses, some guys that won't pull me I know would make a beast of a match.

I wear baggy clothes and I have very long hair, if you saw me you would probably assume that I am weak and a pushover and some sort of skateboarder. Judging by my appearance (while dressed) you would assume that I am not even worth pulling. However; I like to think that I can hold my own on the armwrestling table.

You may be the best in the school, and I hope you are because it's a great feeling, but don't count people out just because they don't look the part or other people don't think that they are strong. You never know. Go out and armwrestle everyone you can.

Your mind seems to be in the right place, and you seem to be naturally gifted for the sport, I hope you go as far as you wish to go. Just don't count anyone out or you may be severely deflated some day. Keep training bro you've got the tools, now sharpen them :rock.

Josh H, I would advise you to not let a few victories get to you. Some big guys with big benches are not great armwrestlers, as referenced by yourself. You are about 170lb you said, and you didn't look like a monster from the videos I saw, and you have no armwrestling training just a naturally strong arm for the sport. What prevents a 150lb guy, that doesn't get the credit for being strong, from beating you? A 150lb guy could be better and you would never know it, some guys are beasts despite being relatively weak in the gym.

I know the technique and work out my wrists and forearms like crazy. I do lever lifts, forearm curls, use hand grippers, use dumbbells, do pull-ups, ect. SO I do have more armwrestling training than any other guys at my school, and I know big benches don't necessarily matter. I don't go for guys with big benches, I go for guys with big arms, or who are big overall. Or if somebody comes up to me and says "You should armwrestle so-and-so" I do it. I threw shotput with some guys and took all of them down (except for David, the one guy who can beat me, who throws shot). A 150 lbs. guy, who doesn't consider himself strong, and has no armwrestling experience, that would be a one in a million chance. And if they were inclined to test themselves against me, they would have.

And it's not just a "few" victories. As I said before, I have beaten about 100 guys at my school, and have beaten some of them more than once, a handful of them numerous times. I even made a list of people I've beaten before when I was bored, if you don't believe me. I'm not saying I am great, I am saying that novice pullers will beat much more than 90% of the non-pulling population.

Personal experience: I've beaten at least 6 guys with 300+lb bench press maxes (highest 365lbs RAW with 9" wrist) one of the guys (365lb bencher) got his finger stuck in the #3's spring, so his hands are huge, I beat him in ~20secs without leaning at all. I figured (naturally since the man is huge and strong) that he would be the best in the school, and a victory over him made me #1, not the case. A 138lb man (190lb bench) gave me more of a struggle (though I still won). Little did I know that he could bust out 3 one arm chins and curl 130lbs. You never know what someone can do. You also can't count forfeits as losses, some guys that won't pull me I know would make a beast of a match.

Yeah, but that is a rare circumstance for the 138 lbs. man to be better, especially if he's a non-puller. And forfeits are loses - that's like saying if 2 football teams are playing, and one team forfeits, they don't lose. You can't be better at armwrestling than somebody else is if you NEVER armwrestle. Doing it is part of being good.

I wear baggy clothes and I have very long hair, if you saw me you would probably assume that I am weak and a pushover and some sort of skateboarder. Judging by my appearance (while dressed) you would assume that I am not even worth pulling. However; I like to think that I can hold my own on the armwrestling table.

Maybe, maybe not. But that's different, because you are an armwrestler (do you pull tournaments?) and if you were at my school, you would know about me and my reputation and would challenge me. Or I would know about you and your reputation and would challenge you. Nobody did that to me and won. Only one other guy at my school competes and I got him started, we weigh within 5 lbs of the same weight, and I can beat him.

You may be the best in the school, and I hope you are because it's a great feeling, but don't count people out just because they don't look the part or other people don't think that they are strong. You never know. Go out and armwrestle everyone you can.

I have. I armwrestled a guy who doesn't think he's strong and weighs 140 lbs. and he was more of a challenge than most guys who weigh under 200 lbs. are. But he still only lasted ~10 seconds against me, and I have beaten him many times. The chances of someone like that beating me exist, yes. but are very slim, and even if one other guy could beat me, that'd beat 2 our of 1800 students could beat me right handed, which still means I can beat more than 99%.

Your mind seems to be in the right place, and you seem to be naturally gifted for the sport, I hope you go as far as you wish to go. Just don't count anyone out or you may be severely deflated some day. Keep training bro you've got the tools, now sharpen them :rock.

I don't even know if I am naturally gifted - I read up on techniques all over the net and tried my best to learn them. You can't tell so much by videos, but my wrists are very strong, and I work them hard. It took a lot of work to get as good as I am now. I have small hands, too, so I wouldn't call that naturally gifted.

Yes I do pull tournaments, and I have a 1st place, and two 2nd place finishes. I'll let you know how AAA nationals went in a week (open class).

Not a 150lb guy who doesn't think he's strong, a 150lb guy that OTHERS don't think is strong. A guy can be strong and not get credit from his peers (138lb guy I mentioned). Don't use technique on guys at school man, that's not cool. Go in a hook, man against man. Half the time they'll say you're cheating if you use technique anyway.

A novice puller, is a novice.....all people when they start are novices. A 138lb guy who does one arm chins and starts armwrestling will be a novice, just like 154lb guys that can't do 20 chins. I bet the 138lber wins.

When I asked Tom Nelson to armwrestle after a tournament and he said he was tired and wanted to rest his elbow I guess that means I have a win over Tom Nelson now? No that is horrible logic. If John Brzenk refuses to armwrestle you, does that mean you are better? No. Some people just don't have confidence in themselves. I've been beaten by a guy that I had to beg to armwrestle me.

I would challenge you, but to many people armwrestling is just....retarded. Like if a guy at your school loved Pokemon, would you go challenge him? That's kind of what armwrestling is to some people....they think it's stupid.

If you are beating guys heavier and stronger than you at armwrestling you are gifted. Your arm has a natural strength for it. Hand size is a different matter though. I suspect you will find all the great champions were always good.