Closing The #4 Coc

taekwondo911

hi,

I always heard people saying that you have to be geneticlly gifted to close the #4

and that always frustrated me

is that true?!

hi,

I always heard people saying that you have to be geneticlly gifted to close the #4

is that true?!

I hate the word "gifted".

People are "gifted" with large hands, length, etc. All things which cannot be changed through exercises.

But strength can be increased through exercises.

Granted, some people might have a stronger base strength and some might have a faster increase in strength in a specific area, but with enough training and motivation I'm sure many more people then the 5 who are certified now will be able to close it under the cert rules.

You can increase your hand strength way past the age where the rest of your body strength will be much harder to maintain.

Just believe in yourself and keep on training. eventually you will achieve things you thought were impossible when you started ;)

Edited by White Scorpion

hi,

is that true?!

People are "gifted" with large hands, length, etc. All things which cannot be changed through exercises.

Granted, some people might have a stronger base strength and some might have a faster increase in strength in a specific area, but with enough training and motivation I'm sure many more people then the 5 who are certified now will be able to close it under the cert rules.

You can increase your hand strength way past the age where the rest of your body strength will be much harder to maintain.

Just believe in yourself and keep on training. eventually you will achieve things you thought were impossible when you started ;)

Extremely well said Mark!

Tim

For whatever reason there seems to be a limit to how strong any individual can get in any lift. I think a person has to be genetically gifted to bench over 500# raw. I am going to train, within reason, like it is possible for me someday to close the #4 but I am not going to get work up over physical limitations.

hi,

is that true?!

Extremely well said Mark!

Tim

Second that! Really well put. In addition to word "gifted", I hate the word "potential" as well.

#4 its a huge gripper but it shouldnt remain like a myth(hard for the majority of us , or like the "ultimate task")

My theory:

if some guys could close bbpro now or something around 4.5 (or higher) it would be like the standart for us.

Hope 5 years from now guys like temmu, Aaron, Gabriel ... just to name a few ... are closing BIG GRIPPERS : above 4.5!

Edited by ewokhugo

#4 its a huge gripper but it shouldnt remain like a myth(hard for the majority of us , or like the "ultimate task")
Well said Hugo, it's a myth that needs to be chopped down and taken as it is, a hard gripper but not next to impossible. Edited by Teemu I

I believe mostly in just plain hard work, a thing that can be learned and developed through practice and that is available to anyone and through which you abandon the thoughts of potential and start believing that the matter is in your own hands.

Anyone closing in on the #4 is either physically or mentally gifted, likely both.

i think it's more mental. look at Teemu, i don't think people like years ago would've thought someone with his hand size and build would be doing something insane like ring and pinky closing a 3.5 and stuff. to me, that's like some 180lb guy having like 900lb bench. it's incredible.

i know a fair amount of large guys with huge hands, long, wide, and thick and they can't even close the #1 or barely get it once. these guys aren't roid monsters but they are just big, physically powerful individuals.

Anyone closing in on the #4 is either physically or mentally gifted, likely both.

i think it's more mental. look at Teemu, i don't think people like years ago would've thought someone with his hand size and build would be doing something insane like ring and pinky closing a 3.5 and stuff. to me, that's like some 180lb guy having like 900lb bench. it's incredible.

i know a fair amount of large guys with huge hands, long, wide, and thick and they can't even close the #1 or barely get it once. these guys aren't roid monsters but they are just big, physically powerful individuals.

Um are you kidding me comparing a 3.5 ring and pinkey close to a 900lb bench at 180 is absurd. One is impossible another is possible. Remember pretty much every lifting record is done by people with great genetics and a lot of drugs, beyond what is possible for a normal human. Also weightlifting is much more popular then grip, so more athletes.

The #4 is a VERY hard gripper to get clossed and requires a lot of time and specialized training to get it. Their is a reason thats the highest some of the greatest crushers have reached. No I do not believe ANYONE can closed a #4 then it would not be as special as it is.

Really worrying about what you think is possible for yourself is just undermining to your training. Just train as hard as you can and you will be VERY suprised on how strong you can become.

I think the work ethic you demonstrate, Teemu, is evidence of a mental gift that few have. Your training is also smart. It's not like you just pick up the #4 and squeeze it every day. Actually bringing the pieces together like that is not a simple task everyone will be able to do.

Most big guys that miss the #1 can get it in a week or two, IMO. The last bit of a gripper close requires practice for most.

In my opinion, most people wont be able to close a #4 no matter how hard they train. Believe it or not there are limits. Just cause you really REALLY want to be able to do something, it doesn't mean you will be able to do it.

Edited by PowerHouse

Well said Hugo, it's a myth that needs to be chopped down and taken as it is, a hard gripper but not next to impossible.

I remember not so long ago there was steel diameters, lengths and types that was not even thought possible yet Gazza and several others have pushed the standards up with a vengeance.

This determination and motivation of personal achievement has kept John at FBBC having to keep putting harder and harder stock for certs on his shelf -- and we love it! :rock

The number #4 will fall again and again, granted the time between successful certified closes may be long it will nonetheless be crushed by some of the strongest hands on the planet. Although I feel it will never be as widely closed as say a #3 it will get closed by many more to come.

Um are you kidding me comparing a 3.5 ring and pinkey close to a 900lb bench at 180 is absurd. One is impossible another is possible. Remember pretty much every lifting record is done by people with great genetics and a lot of drugs, beyond what is possible for a normal human. Also weightlifting is much more popular then grip, so more athletes.

The #4 is a VERY hard gripper to get clossed and requires a lot of time and specialized training to get it. Their is a reason thats the highest some of the greatest crushers have reached. No I do not believe ANYONE can closed a #4 then it would not be as special as it is.

Really worrying about what you think is possible for yourself is just undermining to your training. Just train as hard as you can and you will be VERY suprised on how strong you can become.

i didn't mean it that way. i don't know what's possible in weight lifting because i'm not really too much into it. so sorry for the bad example, but what i meant is a lot of people before probably didn't think it was possible for someone to close a #4 with 7.5 in or under hands.

I believe mostly in just plain hard work, a thing that can be learned and developed through practice and that is available to anyone and through which you abandon the thoughts of potential and start believing that the matter is in your own hands.

I agree totally. Also, forget about what other people think you can or can't do. Let them say that you'll never close a #4 - then make it your goal to prove them wrong!

The #4 is just a gripper, it is no different to any other gripper in your collection People show it too much respect.

Agreed, There is such a thing as being realistic (me saying 'tonight i am going to rep the #4 TNS bollocks to all that say this isn't possible' would be being unrealistic) but then again there is a mental barrier (people think the #4 is hard and are intimidated by it). The same is true for the deadlift - when i started training properly at age 16 i was hitting 170kg for 5 reps yet i couldn't even do 180kg for 1 because i had mental barrier about doing 4 plates a side. In the end i got it (most of the time it was glued to the floor), and after that it was easy, a few days later i did the 180kg for 4 reps.

For whatever reason there seems to be a limit to how strong any individual can get in any lift. I think a person has to be genetically gifted to bench over 500# raw. I am going to train, within reason, like it is possible for me someday to close the #4 but I am not going to get work up over physical limitations.

I am a 500 lbs-raw-bencher, but i am really N O T "gifted, but i made a decision to become a bencher in 1977. right now I am the most experienced bencher in germany and nobody did his benching longer and harder then me. but never I was able to reach the 600 lbs-mark.

What I want to say: Eversbody can reach a very big goal, if he train very hard and seious, but nobody can do "everything"

the coc 4 in an ultimative grip-feat (especially under ironmind-conditions).

I am working for the coc 2.5, and the "captains of crush #3 - hall of fame" is only a dream.

Edited by unequipped

I am a 500 lbs-raw-bencher, but i am really N O T "gifted, but i made a decision to become a bencher in 1977. right now I am the most experienced bencher in germany and nobody did his benching longer and harder then me. but never I was able to reach the 600 lbs-mark.

What I want to say: Eversbody can reach a very big goal, if he train very hard and seious, but nobody can do "everything"

the coc 4 in an ultimative grip-feat (especially under ironmind-conditions).

I am working for the coc 2.5, and the "captains of crush #3 - hall of fame" is only a dream.

VERY good example. We all have limits, so your goal should be to find out what they are. Yes a handful more will close the #4, but for the majority it's out of their reach. It takes way more then determination to reach the elite level otherwise most on this board would be there ;)

Guts own all :rock

Allow me to ramble a little if you will. I served with a guy who at age 37 suffered two crippling strokes which left him severely debilitated and unable to stand, let alone walk. Three years on, and by sheer force of will alone he can row a six and a half minute 2k and regularly outperforms most people in the gym. He is entering the british indoor rowing championships this year and stands a really good chance of winning his group.

I can think of a few other examples where plain ol' intestinal fortitiude wins the day, yes, we all have limits, but I choose to ignore them, and keep training. Someday I will shut the 4, do a one arm chin up etc etc...

Let me just make myself clear, I'm not saying that the #4 wont be closed again or that a dozen or more people wont cert on it. I'm also not saying a #4+ gripper wont be closed. What I am saying is that not everyone has the ability, no matter how hard they train, to close the #4. Believe it or not there are differences between people. There is a reason the #4 list is so small.

Train as hard and smart as possible and see where it takes you.

Those that believe that any man with training can MMS close a #4, assuming it's not a ridiculously easy and tampered gripper, are fooling themselves. I like the never say die attitudes and optimism but to me it's like saying any man has the possibility of bench pressing 600 raw. If any man could achieve it then it wouldn't mean nearly as much or be as special as it is now. Fast forwarding 25 years probably won't see the number of #4 closers at even 100.

I'm not saying that either that anyone can close a #4. I'm just saying don't set your limits before even really trying to find out.

I hate to weigh in on this thread at all since I'm kind of a mutant and my perception may be a little skewed, but here goes. I've seen and done many things by myself and others done that I would never have dreamed possible. Many things can be done and strength beyond your believed limit can be obtained beyond your believed potential or even limits. Intelligent training is the key though. The human body is an amazing machine, adaptable to the extreme. As to whether I think that anyone can close a #4, well not everyone but I would think with the right training and motivation and time a great many could. Thats my opinion anyway based on what know and see. limits are made much more in your mind than by your body.

- Aaron