Greatest Potential Crushers

Chris Mathison

Some great mentions here.

Patrick has done some amazing things. There is a #4 close in his gallery.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teemu I

• mobsterone

• lloyd80s

• jad

I agree. NO LIMITS! Maybe one day Gazza will decide to start mash grippers and go beyond the #4.

Some great mentions here.

Patrick has done some amazing things. There is a #4 close in his gallery.

I agree there, but will add a guess that Patrick is doing some great stuff at the moment too, it isn't that long time since he last posted about his workouts. He has to be one of the most underrated.

I reckon Patrick, like a couple of other guys, are keeping quiet at the moment, cos they are closing, or on the verge of the #4. Mat Helmer is a name that comes to mind as well, i remember him coming to within a 1/16" from closing a #4, about 18 months ago, if he is still training he must be very close. I reckon either this or next year there will be a sudden rush of #4 closers, maybe not with the CCS set that will come later.

I always believed Mat Helmer was capable of the #4. He rarely posts here though, shame.

Clay Edgin used to live in my town, and moved around 3 years ago. I still communicate with him some.

I have never seen him pay much attention to grippers, even as he was climbing the MM ladder. These days he is focused on Strongman, and is quite serious about that.

If he put as much energy into grippers as many of those on this board do, I think he would be credit card closing the #4.

Also I have to mention Aaron Corcorran. Guy is certed on the MM3 and going for the MM4. He's got even more in the tank and trains smart.

Clay Edgin used to live in my town, and moved around 3 years ago. I still communicate with him some.

I have never seen him pay much attention to grippers, even as he was climbing the MM ladder. These days he is focused on Strongman, and is quite serious about that.

If he put as much energy into grippers as many of those on this board do, I think he would be credit card closing the #4.

In his "2 years" video, I believe Clay does CCS a #4. The video doesn't provide much context becuase it's a compilation, and there is music playing instead of description of the video, but it seems like a close to me. If it's not shut, he only missed by a gnat's a$$.

In his "2 years" video, I believe Clay does CCS a #4. The video doesn't provide much context becuase it's a compilation, and there is music playing instead of description of the video, but it seems like a close to me. If it's not shut, he only missed by a gnat's a$$.

Where is this video!?

PM me with your email addy. I only have it saved in my email. It's about 2MB. I think I got it from Wes. It's a SWEET video.

Okay, I watched the vid again and I had forgotten that it was also a 3-finger attempt. :blink

His pinky blocks the ends, but at any rate, it's a scary gripper vid.

what about Heath Saxton(sp?) along with Kevin Bussi(like Temmu said)?

both are mash monsters level 5 ... obviously contenders for #4 cert!

Heath still post here, maybe he have something to say ...

Other than those guys mentioned already, there's one guy who seems to be making fast progress and isn't a member here (that I know of). He's on YouTube under the handle sumGabriel. Listed as age 20 and from Germany with some impressive gripper/crushing feats - CCS/NS/repping #3, almost closing the #3.5 and crushing a potato. :bow

I saw his new #3 certification video. Looked very easy for him.

The title being "greatest potential crushers"... I'm gonna throw a name noone has yet mentioned in this particular thread, and it's Rob Vigeant Jr. He was the first to close the MM3 gripper and held it closed for ages when he did. He had no trouble getting paused reps with the MM1 and MM2 also. I believe he closed a BBSE in a contest and "came within a dime's width of a #4" if my memory serves me correct (which sometimes doesn't!). PLUS (and this being a huge factor in a #4 CCS), he had unusually large hands, which obviously helps if the goal is to CCS a tough gripper. I guess he lost interest in grip and is into AW now, but had he kept improving since early 2004 when he did MM3, now, 4 years later, I'm sure he'd be doing some monstruous stuff.

The title being "greatest potential crushers"... I'm gonna throw a name noone has yet mentioned in this particular thread, and it's Rob Vigeant Jr. He was the first to close the MM3 gripper and held it closed for ages when he did. He had no trouble getting paused reps with the MM1 and MM2 also. I believe he closed a BBSE in a contest and "came within a dime's width of a #4" if my memory serves me correct (which sometimes doesn't!). PLUS (and this being a huge factor in a #4 CCS), he had unusually large hands, which obviously helps if the goal is to CCS a tough gripper. I guess he lost interest in grip and is into AW now, but had he kept improving since early 2004 when he did MM3, now, 4 years later, I'm sure he'd be doing some monstruous stuff.

I tend to agree with you. Also, he won the first GGC in 2004.

Okay, I watched the vid again and I had forgotten that it was also a 3-finger attempt. :blink

His pinky blocks the ends, but at any rate, it's a scary gripper vid.

Man, in the same vid, he does 5 baby reps on the #4 in a parallel choker. :bow

Does anyone know anything about that gripper? Like, did he talk about having an "Easy" #4?

Does anyone know anything about that gripper? Like, did he talk about having an "Easy" #4?

He did. I don't know if that was it or not, but in the "old rules" era of Iron Mind, I was aware of a sought after easy gripper that he had that was discussed among the secret cult of the almost-Number 4-crushers. The only reason I know is that I remember he sold it to someone for a Blobs-on-Ebay level of price.

I was thinking about the whole best crusher thing which kinda relates to the never mind the style who's the best etc (transcending grippers, hand sizes etc) and I had Martin and Tommy as right up there. Tommy for his BBSE closes with either hand regardless of style and Martin because of the 3.65 closes either hand under competition rules (parallel in his case).

He did. I don't know if that was it or not, but in the "old rules" era of Iron Mind, I was aware of a sought after easy gripper that he had that was discussed among the secret cult of the almost-Number 4-crushers. The only reason I know is that I remember he sold it to someone for a Blobs-on-Ebay level of price.

Thanks, Hubgeezer.

I was thinking about the whole best crusher thing which kinda relates to the never mind the style who's the best etc (transcending grippers, hand sizes etc) and I had Martin and Tommy as right up there. Tommy for his BBSE closes with either hand regardless of style and Martin because of the 3.65 closes either hand under competition rules (parallel in his case).

If both hands come into play Martin of course is one of the top guys.

But as far as I know and according the the records list here on the board Martin never closes the 3.65 SE lefty in a competion. The record lists may be wrong of course. The 3.6 (MM4 replica) gripper mentioned in the record lists feels definately easier than the 3.65 SE, which has poor knurling IMO.

Also Shane is one the guys who can close big grippers with both hands.

Juha Harju from Finland has made really fast progress on the grippers. Paul already posted

, where he closes a coc #3,5 in competition. There's more in the tank, I can tell you that. In addition to him, there will be atleast two, maybe more Finns who will certify on the #3 this year.