Greatest Potential Crushers

Chris Mathison

Following suit with the bending thread.

I am relatively new to the grip-scene and would like to get an idea on who's who in crushing grippers? Obviously the MM pyramid does it pretty well but there are people not on there. Personally, after seeing Tex close a 3.5 that I just missed a minute earlier I am going to elect him.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teemu I

• mobsterone

• lloyd80s

• jad

I am relatively new to the grip-scene and would like to get an idea on who's who in crushing grippers? Obviously the MM pyramid does it pretty well but there are people not on there. Personally, after seeing Tex close a 3.5 that I just missed a minute earlier I am going to elect him.

How do you get on the MM pyramid?

You first qualify by sending the site Admin a video of your #3 close. After that you sign up for the MM1 and the MM1 gripper is sent out to you. It's the same for all the MM grippers.

Well, Mobster is already a great crusher but he's got a GR8 #4 in him, same with Teemu and Chad Woodall.

Jedd is getting closer and closer to a #4 close as well ;)

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

TeemuI and Josh Dale are pretty impressive lately

Dave Morton. I believe he has the potential to close the BB Pro

Where's old Dave been - anyone hear from him lately? He was (probably still is) insanely tough on grippers.

My pick is Wes.

I'm liking Wes. Big Strong Young Buck :rock

Other than those guys mentioned already, there's one guy who seems to be making fast progress and isn't a member here (that I know of). He's on YouTube under the handle sumGabriel. Listed as age 20 and from Germany with some impressive gripper/crushing feats - CCS/NS/repping #3, almost closing the #3.5 and crushing a potato. :bow

Morton

Edited by Paul Knight

You first qualify by sending the site Admin a video of your #3 close. After that you sign up for the MM1 and the MM1 gripper is sent out to you. It's the same for all the MM grippers.

Well, Mobster is already a great crusher but he's got a GR8 #4 in him, same with Teemu and Chad Woodall.

Jedd is getting closer and closer to a #4 close as well ;)

do you still need to send a video if you are already certified through Ironmind? and how does the MM1 compare to the #3? I'm assuming its tougher.

Other than those guys mentioned already, there's one guy who seems to be making fast progress and isn't a member here (that I know of). He's on YouTube under the handle sumGabriel. Listed as age 20 and from Germany with some impressive gripper/crushing feats - CCS/NS/repping #3, almost closing the #3.5 and crushing a potato. :bow

Ya Ive seen his vids for a while. impressive stuff.

Paul, a Certified COC automatically qualifies for the MM1, yes it's a bit tougher then a #3, I think some people have rated it around a 3.2 but I could be wrong.

And I'm nominating Wes, just because I saw him take a #4 to less then 1/4" in person, amazing stuff right there, all it's going to take is him TRAINING for him to be the best :D

Edited by vikingsrule92

i'm thinking teemu is going to be the next person to cert on the #4 but wes is definately good competition

i dont know of anybody (other than myself) who has closed a gripper above coc #4 on this gripper chart (scroll down the page) - http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=11754&st=60

thats where you want to aim, an it also gives you an idea of what grippers are above what you've closed now

a couple guys not mentioned here:

best of luck chris

Closing or shutting a gripper means little if how it's done is not mentioned. So a CCS beats a MMS any day when comparing like for like. Some of those named, including me, close grippers differently from each other. Paul neglects to mention how the gripper above the 4 was done. Dave Morton used a deep set and so on. Compare like with like for proper comparisons.

I'm aiming for the Vulcan Gripper Level 15 close right handed today or tomorrow. That will place me 2 steps ahead of anyone else as of today - on that gripper and using a CCS .

Oh and Paul - a tip: let others announce how good you are first ;)

Edited by mobsterone

In no particular order:

International Teemu, Josh Dale, Chris Mathison(he's got the raw talent, and the determination), Dave Morton, Magnus S, Tommy H, Wes, Martin Arildsson, Shane Larson, (Ben Edwards,Clay Edgin; if they get back into grippers), haven't heard much about what John Hicks has been doing with grippers for a while, so he's got to be on the list if he's been working hard; and of those, I think Martin's the favourite.

Local Sam Solomi, Pete Kerr, Paul Savage, Stevie G, David Horne (I know he hates grippers, but tell me he couldn't do it if he set his mind to it!), Mark Felix, Laine Snook, and Fred Coombs (he's got the raw talent, and the determination): of these, Mobster's the favourite, if he wants it.

EDIT:

There you are: I've announced how good he is! And how good you are, too. (psst: I expect payment by return of post ;) )

Closing or shutting a gripper means little if how it's done is not mentioned. So a CCS beats a MMS any day when comparing like for like. Some of those named, including me, close grippers differently from each other. Paul neglects to mention how the gripper above the 4 was done. Dave Morton used a deep set and so on. Compare like with like for proper comparisons.

I'm aiming for the Vulcan Gripper Level 15 close right handed today or tomorrow. That will place me 2 steps ahead of anyone else as of today - on that gripper and using a CCS .

they dont seem to know i exist though..

HG500 was with a set a little wider than par

another to watch -

edit - what would you say level 15 would rate at as far as coc scale goes?

Edited by Paul Savage

You're coming to mine soon, bring your grippers and I'll vid and vouch for some closes: E.O.D.

HG500 was with a set a little wider than par

another to watch -

edit - what would you say level 15 would rate at as far as coc scale goes?

Dunno whose done anything similar and the Vulcan... ask me after the Brits.

Morton didn't use a deep set, he used a parallel set, the most legitimate set in grip. I'd also like to see any of the TNS or CCS crowd go ahead and "deep set" and see if they can match him.

My choices of guys with potential to go far in grippers are:

Sam Solomi

Steve Gardener

Teemu

Patrick

Martin Arildsson

kilkkinen

Wes

I think at least half of the above list will cert on the #4, at some point.

P.S thanks for the mention twig :-)

Edited by Pete1006

Morton didn't use a deep set, he used a parallel set, the most legitimate set in grip. I'd also like to see any of the TNS or CCS crowd go ahead and "deep set" and see if they can match him.

That's deep. TNS means the handles are in their original position, CCS means a card goes between them, MMS is less again, 20mm less again and a paralell can and is often less than 20mm (depends on spring depth, handle set and so on). What some call a deep set can be less than that. On most of my grippers paralell is less than 20mm. Why didn't you suggest we see how good Dave is/was with a wider set??

Plus I've 'matched' him (he placed behind me at GGC 04). And let's not have 'crowds' like the bending guys. I asked that we compared like with like. Indeed no one has to match anyone. A TNS beats a CCS, a CCS beats a MMS and so on. These have been debated. Now like with like means someone parallel closing a 4 cannot be compared to someone TNS a 4. It's obvious. Just because it might mean the guy someone admired and looked up to isn't top dog anymore doesn't mean we should all hold events just on grippers so we can match someone else's style. Besides I've been in competition against Dave and he has won events before which means he can have another go against others as good at the next Champion of Champions event if he so wishes.

Edited by mobsterone