Gripmas Carol 2008

climber511

Gripmas will be held December 13th, 2008. I'm still thinking of events - trying to come up with a list that includes some old and some new tests of strength for you all.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• MalachiMcMullen

• jad

• Bob Lipinski

I can't believe your waiting until the last minute like this.

Brent

Grippers in chokers was a really cool event.

Chris, I would like to see vertical style bending be included in some way. Maybe in the medley?? I also like the weaver stick idea. Card tearing maybe? A 60d nail snap? Just some ideas!! Later! :D

Vertical bending might be fun. I think John is having a tearing medley at the BBB in October this year Jeremiah :)

Keep those ideas coming fellows - it's hard to tell what we might come up with!

Keep those ideas coming fellows - it's hard to tell what we might come up with!

So long as you have a medley as challenging as last years' I'll be happy as a pig in... stuff :D

I like the weaver stick idea, maybe RT don't see that alot,I'd also be game for some kind of hub stuff.Hand and thigh would be fun since I had to bow out last time do to injured jewels :blink .

• 2 months later...

I've had my thinking cap on and I am now up to 37 possible items for the medley - it will be much harder than last year - I'm not sure what it will take to stop Dave and Jedd (and the rest of you monsters) but I'm going to try. Of course not all of those will make it into the medley - it will be about the same number of items as last year - just heavier and weirder/stranger! Buy a truss :blink ! Last year hit every part of your grip - this year expect every part of your body! You all are not going to want to miss this thing!

I just wanted all you boys to know I haven't forgot you!

I appreciate the early head's up as I like plenty of time to think of innovative ways to perform the events :D Will try and make it out again.

I appreciate the early head's up as I like plenty of time to think of innovative ways to perform the events :D Will try and make it out again.

:rolleyes

Anyway, good to hear about the medley Chris!!! I've always wanted these grip comps to challenge more than just the lower arms...(perhaps a thickbar clean or snatch? :whistel )

I'd like to throw my cap in the ring here and say that weaver stick would be a neat event as well.

AND PLEASE!!!! WHATEVER YOU DO MAKE SURE THE DO AXLE IS AN EVENT!!!

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Chris, will you be announcing the medley events prior to the contest?

Eric - that's something I've been kicking around - I kind of liked the surprise atmosphere of last years medley. I'm still kicking around if I will announce them in advance or not. I like it when everyone has to come prepared for anything - and then that's what they get :D . Seems like the strongest guys still do the best either way.

With the overall events - those I will announce well in advance for sure - some so called standard events and some new ones probably. I have a pretty good list of events - all I have to do is narrow it down to size. I just hope I can have as nice a turnout as last year.

Eric - that's something I've been kicking around - I kind of liked the surprise atmosphere of last years medley. I'm still kicking around if I will announce them in advance or not. I like it when everyone has to come prepared for anything - and then that's what they get :D . Seems like the strongest guys still do the best either way.

With the overall events - those I will announce well in advance for sure - some so called standard events and some new ones probably. I have a pretty good list of events - all I have to do is narrow it down to size. I just hope I can have as nice a turnout as last year.

Well you can count on me being there Chris ;) I think you should keep the medley items secret just like last year and announce the other events. If the medley this year is better than the one last year AND involves the whole body then SWEET!!! Keep 'em secret and we will have to come prepared for anything.

How about one of the medley events be a double overhand bodyweight axle clean to the shoulder?

How about one of the medley events be a double overhand bodyweight axle clean to the shoulder?

I need to lose some weight then :blush

Seriously - please send any ideas you all might have along to me - the more input I get - the better contest I can put on for you guys. Strange and unusual ideas have a better chance then you might think :D .

sexy

Index & Middle finger TNS gripper closes. Most guys would get the Trainer and #1 I think. #1.5 would separate a few. #2 would definitely narrow the pack. #2.5? Not me.

How about a Weight Over Bar event (outside or a padded area of the room) where a York blob of varying weights is pinched and cleaned/ripped over a bar set at a certain height? Heaviest blob over the bar wins.

:rock :rock :rock :rock LOVE THAT IDEA JEDD :rock :rock :rock :rock

How about an Index & Middle finger 2" vbar lift, both hands contested?

I tried this the other day and got 180 but felt like I ripped the tendons out of my right arm. Course it is my weak arm, lol.

Interesting idea. I plan on being a tremendous amount lighter by December. Might like it by then.

What is it with you and thickbar cleans/snatches Zach? :D:laugh;)

How about a 1 finger lift with that ring that was in the medley last year? Or how about this: First you have to bend a 12'' spike into a "U". Then you take the bent spike, and using it like a hook, hook onto the finger lift ring. Now, using one hand, you have to grab the bent spike like a handle and load a weighted loading pin onto a platform. For the guys that can't bend a spike, they could use a 60d or a timber tie, but the bigger the bend, the bigger the points. Sounds like fun to me anyway!! :D Just a thought!

Edited by Foxman

What is it with you and thickbar cleans/snatches Zach? :D:laugh;)

They are awesome, whole-body lifts that emphasize explosive open hand strength and require you to be coordinated, focused, technical AND you need good overall strength to do any decent weight. All that aside, I'd LLLLLOOOOOVVVVVEEEE to see some strongman-esque grip comps because the two are one and the same in my mind. It only makes sense because all of these big strongmen come into our sport and are capable of some impressive stuff right off the bat. A strongman is possibly the only athlete that has always understood the importance of strong hands and wrists for more complete overall strength. I'd love to see a wicked medley like last year, some kind of thickbar Deadlift or Clean(possibly clean and press/jerk), a sandbag event(carry, FW, clean, one hand DL, etc) and some grip staples like grippers, Vbar, RT, reverse/DU bending, and pinch. Obviously not all in the same comp but you catch my drift... or maybe this is all just me... doesn't matter because when I hold a comp sometime either late summer(doubtful) or early 09', don't expect to be able to specialize and win :fear

...or something like that :whistel

Chris, just read the part in bold and please consider it!!! :happy

Edited by MalachiMcMullen