Tex Is From Another World!

1stCoC

A bright note, Big Tex will accompany us to the Arnolds Classic. If any of those out there are going or have any questions please introduce yourself and I am sure Tex Will be glad to talk with you. At 6'8 and 410lb and some of the largest forearms I have ever seen he won't be hard to spot. Son Bert and I look forward to seeing any of my grip brothers there! RS

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1stCoC

• burkhardmacht

• The Mac

• Florian Kellersmann

A bright note, Big Tex will accompany us to the Arnolds Classic. If any of those out there are going or have any questions please introduce yourself and I am sure Tex Will be glad to talk with you. At 6'8 and 410lb and some of the largest forearms I have ever seen he won't be hard to spot. Son Bert and I look forward to seeing any of my grip brothers there! RS

Awesome. Looking forward to meeting you Richard. I hope im not scared of Tex!!! Im 6'3" 280 and dont see too many people larger than me. I cant imagine 6'8 410. I imagine it will make me feel exactly like I felt when I met Pfister. Just AWE.

Chris, Very best of luck with the #3 cert I will be there cheering you on! Tex is a great guy and I will make sure you get to meet him. I think he might be trying a few "things" while there.RS

I'm not a "big" guy but not exactly small either - and Tex made me feel like a kid next to him. He seemed a little shy at first but real friendly after a couple minutes. I'm glad he didn't "try" when shaking hands - it's like grabbing a catchers mitt! He has a certain "presence" to him sort of like Mark Henry - huge but not fat. He'll be fun to watch. See you all soon.

We are back from the Arnolds Classic with many great memories. My sincere congradulations to Chris Mathison for his soild closing and certification on the #3 Ironmind gripper. He did later a set #3 close and "extended hold" of a #3 as well as a good try squeeze on the # 3.5. A great guy with a big grip future ahead! Big Tex made his humble debut under the watchful eyes of the crowd ,all three GIllinghams judges, myself son Bert, the Diesel Crew( Jed was sucessful at this gauntlet) and a number of other grip stalwarts saw the following feats.....Grip gauntlet challenge as offered this year by the GNC /Gillinghams DONE!, ( 4 grip guys did it and 1 pro strongman during the weekend up to the time we left) Grip gauntlet was then increased to a special "heavy" gauntlet for Tex to try (only ever done by 3 men) and on first try DONE!, He Shut the 2.5 multiple reps during gauntlet test( not just one rep as required) Shut, #3, Shut# 3.5,( which Wade said was a new AND hard one). ) Deadlifted (by the face) the Blob, Pulled the Rolling thunder challenge weight AND deadlifted the Blob at the SAME time ( only 3 ever to do this as per Wade),Deadlifted a 206!!!!! lb inch dumbell replica in the North American strongman booth for 3 singles !, Celaned and pressed a 132 lb kettlebell a record 5 reps, This ALL was done on Friday afternoon! Pictures are being processed and highlights will be posted(as well as video being processed). If any doubot on what Wade so kindly said about "Tex is the real deal" you can ask Wade himself. My sincere thanks to Wade ,Karl, and Brad Gillingham and GNC for their efforts and support of grip strength . My special thanks to Wade "King of the Blob' being such a good steward of my creation I was from my heart pleased to to see all this great grip fellowship and being lucky as well at age 57 with 7 7/8 hands and the lightest bodyweight, to being one of the few to have completed the Gauntlet successfully as well on that day. Respectfully, RS

Great report! Thanks, Richard :rock

Sorinex representing!!! I wish I could have been there to witness all this going on!! Congrats to all that acheived the feats!! Once again Richard, YOU THE MAN!!

Thanks so much for the kind words Richard. You sir are a class act. It was really great to meet you and the others. Tex was a mountain of a man just as you described. Extremely nice and some of the strongest hands Ive seen. He gave me a few good pointers and I hope to be as hand-strong as him someday. Not many people can brag about the people present during there #3 cert but my list starts with Richard Sorin, Tex Henderson, Wade Gillingham and Karl Gillingham to name a few also a few good friends new and old. The last 1/2 inch on my 3.5 better run for cover because im coming for it! It was an honor Richard and I hope our paths cross again.

Thanks Richard for paving the way for all of us grip guys. It was great to see you in such great shape after the battle you have had the past couple years. Completing the grip gauntlet is not easy - I was happy you were finally able to get it done and with the new "medium" format (197 RT, 2.5, 50lb blob) no less. Yes, Tex is the real deal. Thanks to all the grip board guys that came out and supported us again - hope to see more of you next year.

Wade

We are back from the Arnolds Classic with many great memories. My sincere congradulations to Chris Mathison for his soild closing and certification on the #3 Ironmind gripper. He did later a set #3 close and "extended hold" of a #3 as well as a good try squeeze on the # 3.5. A great guy with a big grip future ahead! Big Tex made his humble debut under the watchful eyes of the crowd ,all three GIllinghams judges, myself son Bert, the Diesel Crew( Jed was sucessful at this gauntlet) and a number of other grip stalwarts saw the following feats.....Grip gauntlet challenge as offered this year by the GNC /Gillinghams DONE!, ( 4 grip guys did it and 1 pro strongman during the weekend up to the time we left) Grip gauntlet was then increased to a special "heavy" gauntlet for Tex to try (only ever done by 3 men) and on first try DONE!, He Shut the 2.5 multiple reps during gauntlet test( not just one rep as required) Shut, #3, Shut# 3.5,( which Wade said was a new AND hard one). ) Deadlifted (by the face) the Blob, Pulled the Rolling thunder challenge weight AND deadlifted the Blob at the SAME time ( only 3 ever to do this as per Wade),Deadlifted a 206!!!!! lb inch dumbell replica in the North American strongman booth for 3 singles !, Celaned and pressed a 132 lb kettlebell a record 5 reps, This ALL was done on Friday afternoon! Pictures are being processed and highlights will be posted(as well as video being processed). If any doubot on what Wade so kindly said about "Tex is the real deal" you can ask Wade himself. My sincere thanks to Wade ,Karl, and Brad Gillingham and GNC for their efforts and support of grip strength . My special thanks to Wade "King of the Blob' being such a good steward of my creation I was from my heart pleased to to see all this great grip fellowship and being lucky as well at age 57 with 7 7/8 hands and the lightest bodyweight, to being one of the few to have completed the Gauntlet successfully as well on that day. Respectfully, RS

I really think it's time for Tex to give your grip gauntlet a try.

Congrats Tex :rock

P.S. I want to know what kind of Blob you have Richard that neither TeX and Chad lifted it the normal way?! It should be very hard in that way!

Edited by Alawadhi

A good question! The Original Blob , and the one I train on are the older fatter version which York first had dumbbells with a 1" handle. A bit later in their production years they made the handle less prone to bend and thickened it while "streamlining" the sides a bit ( perhaps for looks or to get the total weight more accurate) thus changing the surface contour and weight slightly. The one I train on, The Original, and the one recently used in California at a GNC grip event was a 'gift " old Blob from me owned by Randy Strossen. The two here and Randy's I suspect weigh 52-52lbs thus making it very very hard as shown by Tex ,myself and Chad when tried and had unsuccessful attempts. When I do the one here it is "NEVER" easy for me or any one else that has tried it! I suspect Wade would handle it well with his great power. I don't recall seeing anyone full pull the Original except myself over the years. I have seen Chad do it lying on its side tho which is a great feat in itself. All my Blobs as well are used and kept in the exact condition that I get them no altering other than cutting the handle off is done. I hope this information helps. RS

Yes this helps. Thanks :)

Nockowt1.......................................... Tex just lumbered in and after I told him several of his grip friends wondered what he could do on my Grip Gauntlet . I explained the tests that I thought were the harder ones and the ones Chad had success with when he gave it a go. The whole time he was changing his shoes...I walked back in my office and I heard a "boom" with Goergen saying " ya better show Richard" . I went back out to see what was going on and Goergan said "he just lifted the 240lb bell (2" handle) on the gauntlet". Upon seeing me Tex smiled reached OVER all the rest of the Gauntlet stuff deadlifted the bell up, and then turned around to show me better. No warmup( other than tying his shoes) and so very easy. All jaws went slack "as usual" and Tex just went about his business . I think he will address himself to the other items soon with my prompting. I did mention to him his next trial needs to deadlift the 202.5 lb ,3" handle Circus Bell as Mark Henry did AND clean and push press the Inch bell as Henry did. I am fairly sure he will be sucessful at both as well as most or all of The Grip Gauntlet . RS

Richard, see if you can't convince him to try some plate pinching, that is, some pinching that would be his optimum thickness.

Tying shoes is a warm up? Maybe that's my problem :D:blush Anson and I did get to watch Tex do the KB press but missed him at the GNC Gauntlet. I gotta brag on my buddy Nick here - he did 5 reps on the KB press as well! I'm going to have to stay on the porch I guess - I definitely can't hang with the big dogs!!!

A good question! The Original Blob , and the one I train on are the older fatter version which York first had dumbbells with a 1" handle. A bit later in their production years they made the handle less prone to bend and thickened it while "streamlining" the sides a bit ( perhaps for looks or to get the total weight more accurate) thus changing the surface contour and weight slightly. The one I train on, The Original, and the one recently used in California at a GNC grip event was a 'gift " old Blob from me owned by Randy Strossen. The two here and Randy's I suspect weigh 52-52lbs thus making it very very hard as shown by Tex ,myself and Chad when tried and had unsuccessful attempts. When I do the one here it is "NEVER" easy for me or any one else that has tried it! I suspect Wade would handle it well with his great power. I don't recall seeing anyone full pull the Original except myself over the years. I have seen Chad do it lying on its side tho which is a great feat in itself. All my Blobs as well are used and kept in the exact condition that I get them no altering other than cutting the handle off is done. I hope this information helps. RS

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=3916

Richard...here I am at the Tarheels lifting the original blob upright in 06. I hope to get back to SC and try the Gauntlet soon...take care buddy.

Edited by Too Tall

Chad, Sorry that I forgot you pinching the Blob at the Tarheel Grip as well that day..I was so blown away with you lifting it by the face I guess my mind locked in on that. Correction, duly noted and you are on I guess, the short list of 2 to full pull "The Blob" If there are any others out there that have sucessfully lifted it during the past 26+ years please contact me so I can give you credit due for being an integral part of the Blob's history. .RS

Didn't Heath Sexton lift the original blob?

When I brought the Blob to the night of strength Sean Dockery ( remember and have a picture of him getting it up about 8") gave it a go. I remember Heath being there and there were a number of hex block weights everyone was trying too. Perhaps he tried but I just don't recall seeing him making it. If anyone has a film or pic of him that night I would be proud to add a man of his reputation and grip prowess to the "short list". As an answer to the question if Tex was competing in strongman.... yes. I watched him a few weeks ago in his first contest heads up against the winner Cyborg Lawson. ( Tex loaded a 400lb Atlas type stone, and had the best time dragging a 528lb anchor chain uphill 100') RS

Richard if you get time could you measure your origional blob from face to face i have two of the origional ones 52 plus pounds and i just want to make sure compaired to yours the handles were smaller and maby slightly smaller than an inch i bought them from york all were bent in half or the handles were loose thanks dan p

i just measured one and came up with 22 3/4

Thanks for all the great write-ups Richard.

Tommy Heslep lifted the original Blob as well.