Brent's Log

barbe705

You're strong on the 2HP - did You already tried 2x45pound plates? Should be easy for You!

I've lifted 2x45 in the gripmas medley and I've gotten mine up a couple times. never on video and probably not perfect full lifts. I've really neglected 1hp compared to my 2hp and the numbers show it. when I was working my 1hp hard the end of this last summer I got 90-95 both hands. but, not consistently. 2x45 is something I've been meaning to work on the rest of this winter to help my 2hp.

12/25/14

CBGT 3.2

blocks: 40# blob, 45#blob 5x1

SSW/rev climber curls ext 15# 5x10

Inch trainer 120# lift/10sec hold. 64k bell 5 lifts.

SSW 30# thin pinch holds 10 sec 5x1

goose neck hold/hammer front/hammer rear. 80# 3" bell 10 sec/22" 6# x5/ 10# end of tape x5. 3 sets

12/28/14

Deload

CBGT 4.1

2hp 58mm 60x3/110x3/160x2/180/190/200/210/220

behind back wrist curls 5x10 90#

rev bends:rail tie/60d/60d/grade 5 jh/5/16x7 hr round.

nice relaxing day. wed coming up off. next sunday ramps up again.

I was trying to be quick to do other things and, I have a nagging issue in my right elbow I was hoping to give a break. I used some of the time I saved working on rehab for that.

also, the grade 5 JH was harder than the 5/16 HR by a good bit. I'll be hitting a grdae 5 and some 5/16 each workout until the 5/16 HR is gone. by that point I hope to be able to start hitting 2 grade 5's without feeling it for the rest of the week. also, around that time I'll start working the 70d nails in...if I can. haven't wobbled one yet.

1/3/15

CBGT 5.1. went well. not looking forward to the heaviest week at all though.

TGA Magic pinch program. repout set was 195x8. a solid 8 is as good as I got before when I was hitting this on the reg. and due to changing width and adding in the little plates to make it even this is 3# heavier on all sets. so, over all a pretty good sign. when I get to 10 reps I'll bump all the set 5 pounds and start over.

behind back wrist curls 140 5x10

SSw rev bends. rail tie, 60d, 60d, several attempts on some different stuff. beat me up.

paris pinch 15#/15# x20, 20#/20# x17/16

SSw/ wrist thingy rotations 50# x20 3 sets.

• 2 weeks later...

1/8/15

CBGT 5.2

blob 40/45/45/45/45

SSW/ ext 15# x10 5 sets

120# inch trainer. 4 attempts 64kg db.

SSW/ thin pinch 30# 10 sec holds 5 sets

3" goose holds 10 sec 80#/6# hammer 22" front raises x5/10# rear raises x5. 3 sets

1/11/15

CBGT 6.1

TGA MAGIC 2hp program. only 6 reps on rep out @ 195.

rev 1 60d nail.

something was strained in my right upper back. I flet it during 2hp and made things a real struggle since it kept throwing me out of position. during reverse it really lit up so I quit for the day.

1/14/15

CBGT 6.2

blob 40/45/45/45/45

SSW/ ext 15# x10 5 sets

120# inch trainer. 4 attempts 64kg db.

SSW/ thin pinch 30# 10 sec holds 5 sets

3" goose holds 10 sec 80#/6# hammer 22" front raises x5/10# rear raises x5. 3 sets

the second day of the CBGT is always sooo much better than the first. fewer sets but, even the first set feels good unlike the higher volume day. everything else felt strong. almost ready to start moving up grippers.

• 4 weeks later...

2/8/15

not going to be keeping track of much here bc busy. wanted to put sundays grippers up though.

right hand only. 1594x1 20mm. 166 elite mms, 170 rb, 171 ghp #8. tried 178 #3.5 but no dice. super excited about ghp8. wed I'll be hitting the ghp8 for all work reps unless things are off.

2/8/15

not going to be keeping track of much here bc busy. wanted to put sundays grippers up though.

right hand only. 1594x1 20mm. 166 elite mms, 170 rb, 171 ghp #8. tried 178 #3.5 but no dice. super excited about ghp8. wed I'll be hitting the ghp8 for all work reps unless things are off.

Strong work, Brent! Singles with the 166 through 171lb grippers?

• 3 months later...

NAGS C 2015

bit of a disappointment. a number of things kept my marks from being what they should have been. if the comp had been 6 weeks earlier a very different set of scores would have been possible. several weeks ago i was approaching 250 in the 2hp 280 axle and 175 in grippers right handed. then i had a terrible month at work with the last 2 weeks being in a room with a broken heater. injured a hamstring on the last set of deadlifts at the gym, got way behind in a class which resulted in a marathon catch up session, and losing 4# too much because my scale was off. several lessons learned for next time. over all not too worried bc i'm just too busy to concentrate completely on hobbys. looking forward to FBBC and hopefully a good farmers deadlift. knock on wood for ham to be better.

• 1 month later...

8/5/15

I'm going to try and start keeping up with this again for a couple of reasons. lifting at home now and I need to be held accountable. also, I need help figuring out how to make it work. both lifting at home and mixing grip in with main lifts.

first time back in what feels like forever. very bad month. Mary Ann had a flu for over a week and was in other bedroom. this meant I had dog, who was also sick. he woke me up about 2 hours early every morning for over a week. Then I caught her flu hard. had that for about a week. then at work I got a bunch of crud in my eyes just as the flu was clearing up and got a wicked bad case of pink eye. never knew how bad that was until now. so, barely hobbled home to squat tonight.

squats 205 5x16. wanted 20 but the first set 16 felt right and the rest weren't easy. long layoff, new gym, and still a bit run down.

then did front squats ss w/ ab wheel. 135 4x10, 4x15.

with all of the above did grippers based on week 1 of CBGT. felt ok. hoping to pick things up as I get back into it.

2hp did 210 4x1. pretty easy.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Terrible start to tracking progress again. I had been having very poor and sparse workout but things are getting in the groove again. I needed a deadlift max and worked up to 405. this was 90%+ and I called it good. I had torn a hamstring a little bit before NAGS C this year and between that, work, school, other... I feel like that's a good place to start. I'll be trying to keep up with the posting going forward.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

It was good seeing you this past weekend. Good luck on the excursion this weekend, a.k.a try not to die. 

We will have to get some kind of activity lined up in the near future.

• Like 1

Good to know you are breathing.  Hope to see you at "The Last Gripmas."

• 5 years later...

It's been a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG time but, I am back.  For many reasons I have not been training at all for longer than I can remember.  I've been lifting regularly since august and I'm starting to add some grip back in.  I'll be competing at King Kong this weekend.  still weak as a kitten but, optimistic. 

• Like 9

On 3/8/2018 at 10:17 AM, anwnate said:

Good to know you are breathing.  Hope to see you at "The Last Gripmas."

12 hours ago, barbe705 said:

It's been a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG time but, I am back.  For many reasons I have not been training at all for longer than I can remember.  I've been lifting regularly since august and I'm starting to add some grip back in.  I'll be competing at King Kong this weekend.  still weak as a kitten but, optimistic. 

Great to hear!

Screenshot_2023-10-18-08-48-07-31_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

10.22.23  KK 2023 hosted by Vintage weights PGH (mike?Matt?  I'm so bad with names)

first competition in a lifetime.  I have been away from training for a long time and purposefully tried to keep my expectations low.  The only grip training I have done in five years is my deadlifts are axle right now.  I was very happy with how my lifts went, regardless of the lack of training.  

I am back to lifting but, I won't be training grip for a bit.  I'm completing my masters degree and I have two high volume classes this semester.  but, the week of Dec 18th I back in.  I've been pulling things out and getting ready but, I just don't have the time right now.

and why on earth do i have 8 grippers that RGC over 200#?? that's nuts. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, barbe705 said:

And why on earth do i have 8 grippers that RGC over 200#?? that's nuts. 

You look to the future?

5 minutes ago, anwnate said:

You look to the future?

well see.  I'm really forcing myself to hold back on training right now.  lots of work and school.  my right hand man decided to have her baby at a very inconvenient time for me.  I'm training to train right now.  

the springs are almost as big as the handles.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great hanging out Sunday! Gave me a reason to come back to the grip board.😄

On 12/28/2014 at 9:20 PM, barbe705 said:

I was trying to be quick to do other things and, I have a nagging issue in my right elbow I was hoping to give a break. I used some of the time I saved working on rehab for that.

also, the grade 5 JH was harder than the 5/16 HR by a good bit. I'll be hitting a grdae 5 and some 5/16 each workout until the 5/16 HR is gone. by that point I hope to be able to start hitting 2 grade 5's without feeling it for the rest of the week. also, around that time I'll start working the 70d nails in...if I can. haven't wobbled one yet.

The “nagging” and “don’t feel like it” are where you make real gains, brother.  Keep it up. 

• Like 1