Only one grip equipment?

corbon

I'm on a budget, but I would like to increase my grip.  The question is, "If I have to buy only one equipment that would exercise my grip, what should it be?"  I'm not interested in closing a COC gripper, so should I just buy one of those basic plate loaded machines?  I don't think I can afford one from PDA?  Thanks.

Plate loaded grip machines tend to be costly. The cheapest scenario for obtaining a grip machine is to gather metal scraps (good luck) and then hire a welder to build it. If you are looking for ideas on how to obtain free (or almost free) gripping equipment, try your luck at construction sites and land fills. You may already have suitable grip training equipment at home.

Guest Luke Reimer

I'm guessing that crushing grip isn't your main interest if grippers don't fascinate you. If this is the case, if you're only willing to invest in one area, why don't you go with thick dumbbells? There's lots of training possiblities there.

Guest kINGPIN

Grippers are not only good as a test of strength but are a great tool for training.  They are fully portable, easy to use, toughen up the hands and are good for strengthening the whole hand.  One thing worth remembering with a grip machine is the amout of plates needed to make it heavy.

Having said that, there are so many tools you can make yourself that you never need be without equipment.  Even more so if you are not interested in closing a gripper.l

Corbon:  I'm not sure if you lift weights, have a home gym or go to a gym.  But if you do there are lots of grip exercises you can do with just a pair of 25lb plates.  My advice would be do grip exercises with gym items, and save up for a G-Rex 621, it will help you train all aspects of grip.