British Hand Strength Championships 2008

mobsterone

Sounds like I'm gonna have to. I haven't put too much thought into the trophies yet (I welcome suggestions) but last time they took 30 days to get here.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• David Horne

• The Mac

Come on guys get yer names down - i competed last year Steve runs a very good event great atmosphere very competitive but friendly at the same time :)

Cool. See if Fred's up for it.

I got on his case yesterday, I haven't paid yet cos I'm having problems with my paypal account.

• 2 weeks later...

Send cash. 51 days left. I've seen a very nice trophy or two I'd like to buy (you'll really like them) but haven't had the entry fees to cover the costs...

As of today and as per earlier posts there are now just 14 days to get your entry fees in (16th April deadline one month before the 16th May event) . Thus far support has been extremely poor.

If it remains so I may well take the decision to NOT buy trophies and the like. ALL promoters know only too well of the costs involved in putting on events and I have yet to meet one in this sport who has not ended up paying something from their own pocket. If support in the form of entry fees is forthcoming but late, as they seem they will be, then it may not be enough time for the trophies etc I was hoping to get. As it stands right now any such trophies costs far exceeds any such fees taken.

As it is and again this is based on the lack of support thus far I have yet to ask for support from the usual sponsors. As some of you will know one or two are based overseas and again if fees are paid close to the deadline then my asking for their support might well mean there is not enough time for said items of support to arrive before the event.

I would like a list of names of those competing over the next few days and fees short thereafter. Thanking those who do so in adavnce.

Steve, who have we got entered so far? Also if required, i have a nice brand new in the pack gr8 #4 that would make a nice prize for the winner.

Come on guys at least tell him yes or no.

I will not be competing, but Steve already knows this.

It really isn't easy being a promotor, and you would think people would want to compete and get together. Right now, strongman in the UK has a lot less comps this year, and this is due to some events last year being poorly attended.

David

Me and you Sam. I know Fred C is up for it and I've had his BHSA fee (I need to double check I've had the entry fee as well). Scott George has also said he was interested and I replied to an email of his 2 weeks ago.

Edited by mobsterone

Yes David Jeebus indeed.

Ok grip fans it's time you put up or shut up. Enter this years British or you might get another chance. It's not going to worth doing again if only TWO people have the balls to put there money where there mouths are.

I know how much hard work Steve has done so far it would be a shame to see it go the waste.

Yep, there was no Brits in 1999 and 2000 due to lack of support so it can and will happen!

How is it that this years newly started Spanish Grip Champs has the great athletes below, but the Brits has 2!!

- Jorge González

- Lucio Doncel

- Carlos Bueno

- Sergio Lera

- José Jara

- Marco Antonio Lombardero

- Sergio Sánchez

- Pablo García de la Peña

- Sara Rodríguez

- Antonio Gómez-Nieves

- Julio Jiménez

- Aurelio Galián

- Rodrigo Rodríguez

There will be some of the best strength athletes in Spain; powerlifting competitors and ex- competitors like Jorge, Lucio, Carlos, Sergio, Pablo, Julio, Aurelio and me. And strongman competitors and ex-competitors like Jorge, Carlos, Pablo and Julio.

Yes David Jeebus indeed.

Ok grip fans it's time you put up or shut up. Enter this years British or you might get another chance. It's not going to worth doing again if only TWO people have the balls to put there money where there mouths are.

I know how much hard work Steve has done so far it would be a shame to see it go the waste.

I've just had an offer of support from Alawadhi but would return his money if no event took place. Laurence Shahlaei would have competed (from UK strongmen) but is hoping to qualify for Britain's Strongest man (did a double yesterday with 220-kilos on the front squat).

I've told Mike and the others if it comes down to it I would do the same lifts with my intended weights on the day of the event under the same conditions and then hit the pub straight after. I will not waste my hard work in the gym so far to see me do nothing with it.

I've also had an email from Sam saying we can have a supermatch if need be and he'll still donate the CoC 4. Good stuff.

I will not waste my hard work in the gym so far to see me do nothing with it.

Steve, no hard work is wasted, look at it this way, your hands are stronger now than they were before training for this event.

Send cash.
Couldn't send cash, cos the paypal problems I was having were...I had no money! At all! Not a brass farthing! :blush

All sorted now and you should have my fee. :cool

I will not waste my hard work in the gym so far to see me do nothing with it.

Steve, no hard work is wasted, look at it this way, your hands are stronger now than they were before training for this event.

Enough for me, thee and now Twig (cheers Twig).

I suspect the health of Grip in this country will be more influenced by the 35+ members the BHSA above the number of people who decide to put their names down for one comp (even if it is the British). A Steve vs Sam supermatch would still be a great comp (although still too early for Sam IMO), all the more so if more put their names down.

As one of those who showed interest early on, whilst I am currently doing some overall training Grip is VERY low on the list of my priorities ATM.

Chris ;) - Not too early for me on grippers. The rest still lags a bit too much.

I suspect the health of Grip in this country will be more influenced by the 35+ members the BHSA above the number of people who decide to put their names down for one comp (even if it is the British). A Steve vs Sam supermatch would still be a great comp (although still too early for Sam IMO), all the more so if more put their names down.

As one of those who showed interest early on, whilst I am currently doing some overall training Grip is VERY low on the list of my priorities ATM.

They've been emailed (at least those members of the forum have).

Chris ;) - Not too early for me on grippers. The rest still lags a bit too much.

On Grippers I still think so, but that will become clear in 6 1/2 weeks or so.

A Steve vs Sam supermatch would still be a great comp
If it's just Steve, Sam and I, then it WILL be a Steve vs. Sam supermatch...just with a fat Brummie getting under people's feet, taking up room, and generally wasting everyone's time :D

I've sent Fred a text to light a fire under his arse! BTW

Twig you are going to mash the #3 in this comp! I think you'll do well plus it'd be great to meet ya!

Chris, based on my recent gripper training i'd hope to be hitting at least the 3.54 R and 3.29 L come the comp. More if it wasn't for the 20mm block (i.e. at the euros).

Go on then, I'm in. Been on the fence long enough about entering this time.

so at worst it can be a Steve v Sam supermatch and a me v twig not-so-super match :D

Steve I'll give you the fees on Saturday if you're still going.

Jim Wylie and David Horne have both stated in the past and Sam said as much last night - close a 3 and you're good enough for the open. It has also been pointed out that more than a few novices are capable of this so stop faffing around, 'grow some' 9as the Yanks say) and c'mon down!

Speech over. Now for an update:

Andy Christie, while not competing due to injuries, has offered to load. I think we'll be ok for that even if we do it ourselves but have asked him to help with the scoring. I can ref most of ya and Andy can ref me etc etc. His not related at all grip cousin 'Big Al' Christie from Bonny Scotland has sent his entry fee so we have another face up for it (he needs to confirm he can get cover at work).

That means we have:

Steve Gardener (Mobster)

Sam Solimi (CoC#3)

Neil Belcher (Twig)

Al Christie (Big Al)

Can I add any more to that list? 1 or two more and I'll get that going knocking on sponsors doors...

Great to see Big Al coming down from Scotland.

I will be down to watch/help on the day. Elizabeth won't be down as she'll be resting for World's Strongest Woman as we fly out on Thu.

David