British Hand Strength Championships 2008

mobsterone

Here is the formal announcement of this years British Hand Strength Championships. There are some very minor changes.

Tweaks

1) One open class: David and I believe both the numbers of athletes and their standard has improved enough to merit a single class. There WILL be events throughout the year (averaging one a month) on the BHSA calender that give plenty of opportunity for newbies and novices to test themselves. This combined with the greater interest from (mostly UK) strongman competitors should mean a bigger, stronger field - ideal for a championships.

2) Name: This is simply in line with the new association. Previous years have been Iron Grip events (David's name) and later the British Grip Championships but with the forming of the BHSA the name change is appropriate.

Events

• Grippers - using the 20mm block. As per previous years format.
  • 2HP - adjustable widths - again as per the last few years
  • Rolling Thunder (thumbless) - as per a few years ago and I'll copy and paste the rules later
  • Weaver Stick to the rear - it's been a while since we had this one and so I've brought it back in. Usual rules but we will use our power rack (height between pins is 3-inches) to set it for athletes
  • One hand lift - big weights are a crowd pleaser, we had some big lifts last year and I'm pretty sure several athletes will 'raise the bar' in record terms again.

Date: Saturday 18th May 2008

Location: as last year at the Whey Gym here in Gloucester (we might change the name but the location will remain the same).

Time: I'd like all weighed in etc but 10am with kick off shortly after (no later than 11am). Ideally we'd like 1 hour per event with a short break at mid point (2pm ish)

Entry fees: TBA We have most of the equipment now so a big part of the fees will be towards trophies and any catering. Probably £10-15.00

Sponsors: Gladly welcomed. I'll be sending out emails but welcome approaches also.

Please note: international competitors welcome (cannot set a BHSA British record though) and ALL competitors MUST BE A BHSA MEMBER (be they national or internationally based). Both fees for BHSA International membership only preferred in advance but can be paid on day - all other athletes will have a cut off date TBA.

More soon - ask any questions you like.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• David Horne

• The Mac

I'M IN!!!!! Steve, I don't have a credit/debit card for paypal so can i pay you a for BHSA membership in cash next time i come up to train?

I'M IN!!!!! Steve, I don't have a credit/debit card for paypal so can i pay you a for BHSA membership in cash next time i come up to train?

Yes. Providing it's before the cut off date (TBA).

Event rules.

Please note all events both hands

One Hand Grippers - 20 mm block close

Competitors will set the gripper down to a 20mm gauge that is provided to measure the gap before the close. You will hold and apply the gauge yourself. Once the gripper is set, the other hand must be kept away from the gripping hand, arm and gripper. The grippers are the only event that does not operate on the rising bar principle. If you fail to close a gripper, you can attempt a lighter one on the next attempt. Competitors will be called in the order they appear on the recorder's sheet. Each time they are called, they will make one attempt with each hand.

Two Hands Pinch Lift

The width of the pinch apparatus is adjustable to suit different hand sizes, but to keep it within the spirit of a pinch lift the minimum width allowed is the 2 outer steel discs and 2 rubber spacer discs, a width of 24mm. Before the event starts, you will be given the opportunity to try it and find your best width. The smooth-sided, adjustable-width disc is held on a 2” thick metal rod by a pair of collars. Extra weights will be added to the outsides. The top of this is grasped with an overhand pinch grip (with no further than a 3” gap between the index fingers) and lifted until the end of the bar touches a horizontal stick placed at 16.5” from the floor. There is no referee’s signal. You do not have to be erect upon completion. You must lower the weight under control. If the outer discs accidentally touch the stick before the bar itself, referee’s discretion will be used to judge whether the correct height was attained. Pinch gripping the discs using an unorthodox underhand grip will not be allowed.

Note amendments to previous years rules as per current BHSA ruling: Additional equipment rules: 1. The apparatus has to be loaded with the same number of discs on each side, in the same order, and has to weigh similar (max 1k tolerance between the total weight of the weights at the front, and weights at the rear). 2. The heaviest discs should be loaded nearest to the adjustable pinch discs themselves. 3. The spacer/collars that hold the inside adjustable discs together should be the same length. 4. The discs added should be smaller in height than the adjustable discs you grasp, so that the view of the lifters hands are not totally obscured, and the lift starts from the proper height.

One Hand Rolling Thunder Lift (thumbless grip style)

For this event the Rolling Thunder handle from IronMind is used. This handle is attached to a loading bar by an adjustable chain. Grasp the handle with one hand with a thumbless grip (ie. the thumb is on the same side of the handle as your fingers) and lift the weight clear of the floor. No contact with the stationary part of the handle is allowed. The handle must stay roughly parallel to the ground and the lifter finishes with his body erect. Hold aloft till you receive the referee’s signal and lower it under control. The fingers of your lifting hand are not to be wedged against your thighs. You are allowed to steady yourself by pushing off on your leg with your non-lifting hand. The thumbless style is a test of wrist and fingertip strength.

Weaver Stick Lift to Rear

George Russell Weaver popularised this wrist leverage test some 50 years ago whilst living in Brooklyn. A round stick (mop handle) is used which has the following dimensions – diameter about 1”, length 42”. Half an inch from one end cut a notch. Exactly 36” from the centre of this notch, circle the stick with a line. Get two metal right angles at a hardware store, and screw them into the top and bottom sides of the stick so that the rear edges of the right angles come exactly to the circled line. The topside of the stick is the side where the notch is cut. This leaves a handle just 5 ½” long.

The weight hangs from a wire in the notch ½” from the end, creating a leverage effect when you lift the stick by the handle. For the lift to the rear, you face away from the stick, grasping the handle with your little finger towards the weight, and lift the stick and weight off the table. You may bend your body forward as the lift is made.

The stick must be lifted approximately parallel to the floor. If the weighted end slopes downwards, you may carry on the event till the stick is level. You will then get the referees command to lower the stick. There must be no rocking of the stick on the table before lifting. The lifter hand and arm must remain free of the body. The heel of the hand must remain on top of the stick; if the hand twists around under the stick, the lift is not allowed.

Rules as above but we will use our power rack (height between pins is 3-inches) to set it for athletes. Also note we will be providing wrist wraps (2 sets) for ALL to use so leveling the playing field (David will be amending the rules later). I will pick a cheap brand and allow you to know which one so you can train in the same.

One Hand Lift

The One Hand Lift or ‘the fundamental test of a man’s bodily strength’ as declared by the famous strongman W. A. Pullum, certainly was, and still is, a demonstration of massive power.

The apparatus will be a 1-inch thick handle attached to a bar by an adjustable chain. No hook grip can be employed. If the handle or chain touches the leg this is not a cause for failure. The bar is then lifted at least 5 cm above the floor (measured from the lowest point of the underside of the set up which is often slightly inclined during a lift) and then lowered down again without loosing the grip. No wrist straps of any kind allowed. Foot spacing is optional, but may not change once the lift begins. Heels and toes may rise.

Equipment (handle, bar and chain) as per last year

Mentioned this earlier in the year, but must the spacer be placed between the handles with the free hand AFTER the gripper has been set or can the gripper be set WITH the spacer already in place, then shown to the Ref and then removed with the free hand before the attempt starts?

The idea of the spacer is that 20mm is the minimum anyone uses. Could you explain why either way might make a difference (and are you competing and so thinking of using either?)?

In the meantime I've already brought and paid for 3 sets of wrist wraps. I'll train using one and the other two will be used on the day.

Here they are and I'm sure the shop will sell you some more:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wrist-Wrap-Weight-li...1QQcmdZViewItem

Yes, I am thinking of competing.

What I am trying to get at (although explaining poorly) as that at the Britis in May the spacer was inserted between the gripper handles with the free hand after than handles were set. Some of the competitors had obviously not practiced this much and, in one instance, ended up dropping the spacer in their haste to get it in.

My questions was if the Gripper could be set with the spacer already inserted - so you set the gripper to wider than the spacer (as observed by the judge) and, in a flash, remove the spacer and begin the attempt.

It is a fine distinction I'll admit, but you did say to ask any questions.... :D

Chris,

I would say that it would be very hard to keep the 20mm block in place while you try to set it.

We brought in the block rule, just the same as IronMind brought in the Credit Card rule so that it shows you have started the closure with one hand from at least that distance. This makes it very easy for the referee which is all good.

We don't want to see 2 hand flash/closures that all merge into one big sweep in which the ref has no chance to actually see what has happened.

David

Yes, I am thinking of competing.

What I am trying to get at (although explaining poorly) as that at the Britis in May the spacer was inserted between the gripper handles with the free hand after than handles were set. Some of the competitors had obviously not practiced this much and, in one instance, ended up dropping the spacer in their haste to get it in.

My questions was if the Gripper could be set with the spacer already inserted - so you set the gripper to wider than the spacer (as observed by the judge) and, in a flash, remove the spacer and begin the attempt.

It is a fine distinction I'll admit, but you did say to ask any questions.... :D

Just practice a few times - you'll get the hang of it. Rules were posted months ahead of time and this time even more so. Yet, as you say, people obviously had problems. Why? Because they had not read and UNDERSTOOD the rules, had not seen any comps using the rule and not practiced. This and the overly deep setting many use puts them off their stroke. You need to train as though competing, not train as usual and hope for the best on the day.

• 2 weeks later...