Blob60

GordonV

I hinted at this in another thread but this subject probably deserves its own thread.

I’m contemplating having the pattern made for a BLOB60.

I need some board input on a couple points.

The first issue is relative to dimensioning; on the York dumbbells the diameter of the ends remains consistent for many of the sizes. For example the 35 through the 50# blobs are virtually the same diameter but increase in width as the weight goes up. The 50# Blob is already a feat that is highly “hand-size” dependent and increasing the width may just cause problems.

If a #60 were created do you think:

1. The width should stay the same and the diameter increased.

2. The width increased and the diameter stays the same.

3. The increased iron distributed over both the diameter and the width but maintaining the existing Blob ratios.

What about a BLOB55 too?

The final issue is who wants one? I believe that the pricing would be slightly higher but comparable to the BLOB50 so please provide answers keeping that in mind.

Availability would be Spring ’08. I don’t have a place to paint them indoors so they won’t ship out until after the snow melts in Minnesota.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GordonV

• twig

• bigmatt

• vikingsrule92

I might want one. Depends largely on the price and what kind of money I have at the time. A blob55 might be a good idea too, but I personally can't afford both.

I agree with mobster, the width should stay the same and diameter increased.

Jedd or Bill, would there be a cert on these if Gordon made them?

1. The width should stay the same and the diameter increased.

Agree with Mobster 100%

I would definetly want one assuming the pricing stays within reason. I wouldn't pay much over $130 for one (not including shipping). I could care less about having mine painted if that would make it any easier for you. I would like to know for sure by the 2nd or 3rd week of Feb so I can earmark some B-day money if necessary.

Josh

Oh yeah and I could care less about having mine painted as well. With my Blob50 I ended up getting it sandblasted anyway. If that helps at all just wanted to tell you since Josh reminded me.

I would prolly be interested as well and would hope for the same width and diameter increased. I would also be sandblasting the paint off if I recieved one.

- Aaron

Ok, I'll be echoing everyone else it seems :D

Increase the diameter and NOT the width

I don't care about paint

I will buy a Blob60 before I'd buy a 55 or 50

I'd pay alittle more for the 60 too

:)

I'm thinking of selling some Blobs, so I might want to get a 60 after I do that for the next challenge. Most likely "Yes" for me Gordon, and I don't care about the dimensions as long as they don't make it impossible for folks with smaller hands than myself.

Would it be possible to make the BLOB60 dimensions the same, but have a lead ball center of varying sizes (that way we could keep increasing the weight without affecting the size) that is enclosed and suspended by metal rods or whatever while the Blob is made? Perhaps that or some other enclosure would keep the toxic lead from dispersing to the blob's surface? I'm obviously not a metallurgist, just brainstorming here.

On my hammertone (yuck) 52.5 hex I just used paint remover and then painted it w/ rustoleum black (fine textured, I couldn't find the exact paint stated?). I read about it in the "slippery blobs" thread. It seems to hold chalk pretty well without making the hex particularly slippery or rough . It seems like experienced guys don't want paint, but I was thinking about painting some of my blobs before selling them on ebay because they seem to get a better price when "pretty".

I don't know anything about sandblasting, does that change the surface characteristics of the blob (make it slippery/smooth or rougher/textured/pitted?) or does it simply remove the slippery paint and leave the surface unchanged?

Edited by odin

I'm thinking of selling some Blobs, so I might want to get a 60 after I do that for the next challenge. Most likely "Yes" for me Gordon, and I don't care about the dimensions as long as they don't make it impossible for folks with smaller hands than myself.

Would it be possible to make the BLOB60 dimensions the same, but have a lead ball center of varying sizes (that way we could keep increasing the weight without affecting the size) that is enclosed and suspended by metal rods or whatever while the Blob is made? Perhaps that or some other enclosure would keep the toxic lead from dispersing to the blob's surface? I'm obviously not a metallurgist, just brainstorming here.

On my hammertone (yuck) 52.5 hex I just used paint remover and then painted it w/ rustoleum black (fine textured, I couldn't find the exact paint stated?). I read about it in the "slippery blobs" thread. It seems to hold chalk pretty well without making the hex particularly slippery or rough . It seems like experienced guys don't want paint, but I was thinking about painting some of my blobs before selling them on ebay because they seem to get a better price when "pretty".

I don't know anything about sandblasting, does that change the surface characteristics of the blob (make it slippery/smooth or rougher/textured/pitted?) or does it simply remove the slippery paint and leave the surface unchanged?

With sandblasting on the cast iron it will just remove the paint unless the sandblast operator continues to hit the surface with sand long after the paint is gone. it should not change the original surface texture with something like cast iron.

- Aaron

If the money is available when they're offered I'd probably pick one up - Blob60 that is.

Purchasing one and "picking one up" might be two different things for me LOL.

If I have the money I will get a 60.

Another great idea would be to make say a 40lb blob with it being 3/4 inch wider then the reg blob size for beyond the range training.

I would be up for something like that.

Another great idea would be to make say a 40lb blob with it being 3/4 inch wider then the reg blob size for beyond the range training.

I would be up for something like that.

I would also be more interested in a Blob40 than a Blob60.

But as Gordon told me in his pm about an inch replica being made, if he made a blob40 or blob30 or whatever, it'd end up costing almost as much as a Blob50 so you'd have to pay A LOT of money for a smaller blob. That's the main problem with those, people would have to be willing to pay $100+ for a Blob40 and not that many people are since you can find them from others on occasion for a lot less, as opposed to the 50 lb blob that costs a fortune anywhere you get it.

I'd be interested as well (both sizes if funds allow and price is reasonable).

Agree with everyone else on keeping same width and increasing diameter. Hands are only so big here unfortunately. If unpainted keeps the cost down, I'd be all for it.

I think this is a great idea.

My original response was make them wider, but I realize now that it would probably make it very difficult for them to get sold to the smaller handed population. I will buy whatever gets made, as long as one of the dimensions is bigger. I do not think it would be good to make a blob60 the exact same size as the blob50, just with lead inside. I can already kill a blob50 plus ten pounds.

Thanks Gordon.

I'd probably get one, I want a grip collection to rival David Horne's, besides, you never know, I MIGHT get to pick it up one day!

I'd have to say, it seems to me that increasing width AND diameter would be more in the spirit of grip, I don't have large hands, but I shouldn't have any problems getting fingers and thumb on it, even if I have to sacrifice index for width.

I think this is a great idea.

My original response was make them wider, but I realize now that it would probably make it very difficult for them to get sold to the smaller handed population. I will buy whatever gets made, as long as one of the dimensions is bigger. I do not think it would be good to make a blob60 the exact same size as the blob50, just with lead inside. I can already kill a blob50 plus ten pounds.

Thanks Gordon.

Jedd, if he just makes the dm wider you'd have an awesome new face lift challenge.