2008...new Year..new Goals

pklidaras

well,

might as well try to keep another gripping log again.....been focussing a lot on the reverse style bending since the middle of November when i got my FBBC begginer's bag....

here is what i have done so far....

RH in front

PR-5.5''x1/4'' G5 from FNL

LH in front

harder G2 BL brand....

aiming to do a 5''x1/4'' CRS round and the JH G8 6''x1/4'' RH and then jump to the IM red after a period of adjustment to the length via some 7''x1/4'' CRS, both the round and SQ variety. gonna do a 6''x1/4'' G5 LH when i get back home.

AFA gripping goes for 2008

Crush

CCS a 3 or try to

Bending

Rev-a bastard cert and then beyond

DO-IM cert and then a FBBC bastard

DU-complete the trifecta of bending styles by doing a Bastard

become a BIEW

V-bar

300+ w/ BH

lifting

qualify for the BWLA PL equipped nats at 125kg (800kg)

that's it,

phil.

• 2 weeks later...

hey,

i did the following yesterday evening:

reverse bending:

RH

60d nail

2-3 hits on 1/4''x5'' CRS from FBBC, moved the bar from 10 to 20 degrees, this was tough...gonna be good when i get this

2x7''x1/4'' CRS from FBBC, using this to get ready for the jump to the Bastard WRT length when i master the 5 '' length of 1/4'' CRS

LH

G2 bolt, 6''x1/4''

FNL 6''x1/4'' G5 to 30 degrees in 2-3 hits

G2 5.5''

G2 5''

also fiddling around with DO form for the kink, taking in some of Gazza'a suggestions WRT the isos on easier stock and feeling the flex of the bar...will start on DO in IM pads after i get my Bastard done!

later,

phil.

well.....

not the best sesion i've ever had yesterday, but i suppose that i am beyond the newbie gains now and i need to earn my bends, haha :blush

i did the following:

RH

warm up

got pissed at the 5''x1/4'' CRS, it's been at 20 degrees or so for a few sessions, so i finished it DO and crushed that little bugger down to legal width.....wanna work my DO with IM pads as the IM cert is of importance to me, after i do that, then onto leather pads and BIG steal

7''x1/4'' SQ....got an oh so tiny kink in that one, very pleased with that!!!!!! this means with a few months more hard work...the Bastard will fall and i will have the first part of my BIEW done!

LH

warm up

the 6 inch G5 was stuck at around 30 degrees today.....so i did a bunch of isos on the little bugger as i was doing HW for uni...experimented with hand position, wraps and a few other bits and pieces...it'll come sone enough.....

have noticed that as i have started back into the PL training after the Xmas and NY break...my bending doesn't seem to be as strong as when i was training it over Xmas and i couldn't train my gym lifts.....may need to work on that!

later,

phil.

hey guys....

did a reverse session today, interspersed between my DE squat work...made a bit of a difference....felt nice and warm....

anyhoo,

i did the following:

60d nail

6'' G2

7''x1/4'' CRS

6''x1/4'' CRS

a bunch of 60d nails

i swallowed my pride and realised that i personally can't do max bends every session and get enough volume to progress...so i eased back down a level and worked on some easier stock and i felt it made a difference...i've fiddled around on hand and wrap placement and i think i might be on to something.....i had fun this session...more than the previous two anyway, haha....will work on really melting those 6'' lengths of CRS and work on down to the 5'' lengths and the G8.

later,

phil.

well...bit the bullet and decided to stop being such a pussy about the pain involved in my bending...

did this whilst benching:

60d

G2 6''

thought about the doing the 6''x1/4'' CRS, but decided not to go all the way thorugh with it, instead i just worked hand position and made a kink in the bar, almost by accident....good to get that...will use this as a warm up on the next 'heavy' session...might try the G8.

bunch of 60d nails, just working technique as per the pinned threads on the bending page....

nothing exciting, but progress is being made!!!!

phil.

cheers Sam...was getting discouraged about the staleness...but i read about David, Aladwhi, Booyah, Vikingsrule and Gazza's bending and decided to get it together.....

may have a go tonight whilst studying a bit....wanna get the G8, 7''x1/4'' sq and the big G2 in the next month or two.

hey,

did a slightly heavier session today in terms of the stock attempted:

60 d nail

slightly kinked 1/4''x6'' CRS, went down easy.....

1/4''x7'' SQ.....still no love, tried this bugger twice...wicked forearm cramps...good isos!! haha

G5 6''....slightly kinked.....

next heavy session...will aim for 2-3 G5 bolts...seems about right, and i will flat out melt the bastards!!!

ordered some new gear from FBBC:

10 pieces of 6''x1/4'' stainless, just wanted to see what it was like....

10 pieces of 7''x1/4'' hex, as a warm up for the SQ

20 pieces of 6''x1/4'' hex, can do a round piece of CRS these dimensions pretty easy, needed something a little tougher....

20 G5 bolts, 6'' long as above

should be fun.....one day, hopefully by the end of the year, i'll look back and laugh about this as i do a SQ as a warm up for a bastard, haha.....

Looks like that stock should set your progression up nicely.

Are they DO bends? slowly getting into a bit of bending myself but can't get DO at all.

nope...this is all done reverse....the plan is get the Bastard reverse and then work in the IM pads for DO upto the red/Bastard level, leather after that and then onto DU....

got nothing but time, so i am taking it slowly...the reverse REALLY hammers the wrists and forearms and can make benching quite challenging, but it is okay with Deep Heat and ice etc

be curious to see how the DO comes for you.....i've tried a few light pieces, and i have trouble with the kink, but if i cheat kink something to anywhere close to 30-40 degrees, then i can crush the Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.er down, easy!!!!

did a session yesterday evening whilst Predator II was n TV:

Reverse

60d

60d

slightly kinked G5 finished off and crushed to 1.5''

new G5 kinked to 20 degrees on first hit.....waited a few minutes then moved the little bugger to 25 degrees

60d

60d

60d

60d

60d

finger extensions......

good session, working on stretching out forearms.....this seems to alleviate some of the pain outside of the forearm that i am feeling.

later,

phil.

• 3 weeks later...

been about 2.5 weeks since i did any bending...took the time off to let nagging pain in my elbows and wrists heal....anyhoo, i did a session today:

Reverse

60d

7x1/4'' round CRS...will do one warm up with this in every session to keep me familiar with the 7'' length

finished off my pre bent G5...from 20-30 degrees...then realised it was a half inch off center and just finished off DO

6x1/4'' round CRS.....easy...marked the center with Tippex and it helped me

60d

60d

will look to do a session on Wednesday

later,

phil.

cheers Pete...i hope so to!

did some reverse last night:

60d nail

5.5''x1/4'' CRS....got to 20 degrees...will finish off at next session

5.5'' G2...melted

5'' G2 to 30 degrees

finger extesnions with IM bands

this was good before my forearm began hurting in a bad way....but slow and steady WILL get me there!!

later,

phil.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks mate!

did some training last night:

60d nail

5.5''x1/4'' CRS from 20 to 33 degrees...slowly but surely this is giving in!! plus quite a few isos!!

5 '' G2....done, from 30 to 40 degrees

7''x1/4'' hex, did to 20 degrees

depending on how my forearm holds up, i will be doing some CCS work on my grippers during the week and aiming to CCS the IM 2.5...which is a ways away, having done my filed rb160 pretty easily.

later,

phil.

• 2 weeks later...

hey,

did this last Friday.....

Reverse

60d nail

5.5''x1/4''CRS from 33 degrees to 40 degrees in about 3 hits

6''x1/4'' Hex to 15 degrees

7''x1/4''Hex from 20 degrees to 25 degrees

dunno why the 7'' is so much harder for me than the 6'' length, but i'll keep on trying to figure it out and i'll get it eventually.....also, the 6'' Hex feels a fair bit harder than the same length G5, maybe due to more cross sectional bulk.

that's about it...may do some gripers and/or bending in a day or two,

later,

phil.

just as a quick add on...spoke to a guy at the gym today...and he is a farrier...so i might be able to help out some of the UK guys for horse shoes if they need em.

did some grippers today:

all reps from a CCS with card insertion

BH

im 1

LH

3X1W/ filed rb 160...these were about 4 mm from closing

3x1w/ im1...speed closes

RH

1w/ filed rb160

3x1w/ IM 2.5...these were about 6-8 mm from closure.....this is a short term goal...once i get this...i'll make another grip/gripper to goal to work on along side the bending

3x1w/ im1...speed closes.

will bend later in the week...the 6''x1/4''hex is gonna feel the PAIN, haha!

later,

phil.

did a bit of gripper work today:

all CCS reps with card insertion:

BH

im1x1

LH

3x1w/ filed rb160...got closer than last time...will be onto the 180 soon methinks!!

3x1w/ im1...all TNS

RH

1w/ rb160

3x1w/ im2.5....not great today...couldn't just get set and squeeze, bit of a mental block here.

3x1w/ im1, TNS

will do some reverse bending tonight,

later,

phil.

did the bending last night:

reverse

60d nail

6''x1/4''hex from 15 degrees to 30 degrees in 3 sustained hits...nice progress, this size stock is a good fit for me, and when i can melt one of these, then i'll try a 5''G5 and a G8

7''x1/4''hex from 25 degrees to 28 degrees....hands and forearms were shagged by now

looking forward to making some more progress...will also try a 6''x1/4'' SS round piece as well fairly soon.

later,

phil.

Nice reverse bending, Phil and it does seem that the 1/4" hex is great stuff for you right now.

Hit that IM 2.5 at the strongest point in your workout and with confidence and you'll soon be very close to a CCS close.

I'll be trying to CCS mine once I dominate it with my typical 1.5" or so set.

.. neilkaz ..

Nice bending. Have you tried to bend a 5" G5 yet? I think you may suprise yourself and already be able to bend it.

thanks guys....much appreciated!!

did some grippers today whilst squatting and DL'ing...

BH

im1x1

LH

FILED RB160X4X1....this is getting closer on each attempt, so hopefully it'll fall soon

im1x8 or so with full opening to CCS or wider

RH

im2.5x4x1...this is about the same as last time.....gotta think about some ideas that i can use to get over that hump.....

im1x10...as above.

will do reverse either today or tomorrow,

phil.