What evidence will u need for the #4?

Guest scott essery

This is a very good, and hopefully timely, topic. I hope all of you guys who are knocking on the door of becoming #4 closers succeed in closing it. I also hope you go beyond what is required by IM and do a better job of documenting your effort that JK did (it would be VERY hard to do a worse job!). Do this for us interested grip types on the board, please.

Mike M.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• mobsterone

• Roark

• Sybersnott

I myself choose to believe that Joe Kinney closed the #4.

"Strange you'd feel the need to mention the 3/4's of an inch. It actually has no relavence to what was asked."

Sure it's relevant anyone who is 3/4'' or even 1/2'' is light years away from even dreaming about being certified on a #4

Why do some people take well meaning comments and opinions personaly? Let the moderators worry about content. I am surpised that anyone who does something as manly as training grip would be also over sensitive. I do not try to be politically correct.

I don't understand why some people here are getting all worked up over this situation when there's no need to. Find out what is required before getting upset!!! It makes no sense creating negative feelings when we don't even know what the criteria is. Maybe it's the same as #3 certification, but if it's not, write to the appropriate person and get the details before stressing out over nothing. I think Kinney put his #4 handles on a #2 spring to become the first person to close a #4. I don't care what the #### anybody thinks about that!!!

Guest 77-1005097254

Wannagrip.  You may be the DICTATOR here, but thats it.  I don't think its that important to  many people whether  "you" believe a no4 has been closed or not.

Guest 77-1005097254

Wannagrip.  You may be the DICTATOR here, but thats it.  I don't think its that important to  many people whether  "you" believe a no4 has been closed or not.

Guest 77-1005097254

What certified Mark Henry's cleaning and push pressing

the Inch at the Oldetimers' gathering? Really, it has

not been 'certified' just witnessed and video taped in

front of dozens of witnesses. What if only one or two

people had seen it, but they were independent of

Mark or his interests?

David Horne, Heath Sexton, and some others have no

trouble convincing us that they have not yet closed the

4, though each has come close. What is to have stopped

them from already claiming to have closed it? Honor. The same

honor I will extend to them if they affirm they have now closed it.

Will I extend this same honor to someone without their

reputations and demonstrations of strength. No.

But David's British friends could have already falsely

affirmed on David's behalf were that their nature, but it is

not their nature, so when we get word that someone of their

stature affirms as a witness, good enough for me. The proof

will equal that given when Kinney first closed his 4.

The manufacturer of a barbell, or a gripper, or a stone, is not

thereby better qualified as a judge in the lifting, squeezing, or

smearing of those items. The best lifting judges throughout

history were, by and large, not in the manufacturing business.

What are you talking about?!

I never said it was.

I was telling you MY OPINION.

That sub-title by the way was Solan's thing a LONG time ago.

It was my opinion, and that's all it was.

Wannagrip was merely stating his opinion.  I think he has the right to do that just like everybody else.  He has an educated opinion, something that is lacking from more and more posters now days.  I liked the board before it was moved to cyberpump, the quantity of posts has increased while the quality has taken a severe drop.

What about when Kinney got certified when closing his #3? Wouldn't he have done the same sort of thing as he did for the #4? (minus the video, etc) I don't remember reading on the IM site that the rules for certifying on a #3 & #4 are different. Both require a witness picked out by Randy & a photo & not much more I don't think.

Scott,

Why don't you just go ahead and TELL us that someone you know has closed the #4.

Can we all agree on this point:  presenting a gripper that is UNKNOWN to the participant who will do the close in front of credible, reliable eyewitnesses??  ???

I would like to offer my OWN #4 gripper for the challenge (if that's not a problem to anyone).  I know it's history, it's been seasoned AND calibrated by PDA... I got it around the same time Kinney first closed his #4.  It can be carefully examined by a panel and, barring any objections, it can be given to the person to then attempt the close.

Wanna's concern is justified.  I had a long telephone conversation with "someone" (a person who's name I won't reveal here), and he convinced me that Kinney's feat is very questionable.  And the very gripper that he did it with mysteriously "disappeared" doesn't help the matter at all.

So Scott.... it IS a concern to us... ALL of us.

"Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me".

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I feel Joe is legit. I have spoke with him ( through mail ) . Just by the things he says and the ways to change my training tells me he has been there.

If I were to respond the way I sometimes feel like responding (indeed we had someone removed from here not only cos of the responses but also the emails) then the moderator's would have had me off ages ago. I have been wrist slapped on one occasion and cannot post any more over at www.hardgainer.comcos i was naughty. A little self moderation does you good.

I do however think you are ( as I beleive wanna is) wrong in regards to the time it will take.

I have never tried seriously before and don't limit myself the way others do. Plus if little old joe can manage it...

Guest 115-1005574997

sybersnott

Honour is alive and well in the UK

I cant tell you who the person is 'cos he asked me not to and i respect that.

He also HASNT shut the #4 yet and when he can, will gladly mash yours and grind the handles!

In fact if your so open and transparent, why not send me your #4 to see if the person in question can shut it

Just cos you guys dont have the ability of some of us English and welsh guys it doesn’t mean you should get so defensive and petty!  Face up to your limitations and be gracious in defeat.

We have the Thick bar daddy Steven Gardener, we have the amazing Chris James, then theres the blob master Jim Wylie and David Horne.  Theres Eliz Talbot and at least 5 COC that train in one guy 3 days a week.

The Uk is Home to grip training and that includes more people likely to shut the #4 than the states.

Just cos you guys dont have the ability of some of us English and welsh guys it doesn’t mean you should get so defensive and petty!  Face up to your limitations and be gracious in defeat.

We have the Thick bar daddy Steven Gardener, we have the amazing Chris James, then theres the blob master Jim Wylie and David Horne.  Theres Eliz Talbot and at least 5 COC that train in one guy 3 days a week.

The Uk is Home to grip training and that includes more people likely to shut the #4 than the states.

Too funny Scott.

Hey, do you guys have the equivalent of Div I & even Div II football over there?  The level of the NFL?

How about Strong Man?  It's becoming more popular over here now.

So, your statement is pretty funny comparing the UK on grip training (a little tiny sub-culture we have here on the board).  

Actually, the hand full that are on this board in general regardless of where they live! Too funny.

For example, when I certified at a Div I University weight room, one of the starting lineman was passing by and stopped in and with no training mashed my 3 to about 1/8" with no technique and was like a big kid with a toy he just picked up.  Yeah yeah none of these people are doing the grip stuff like some on this board, but you have to use your brain and common sense.  

I am not stupid enough to think that just because I can close a 3 that it's anything special.  The ONLY reason would be because NO ONE else is doing it!  :)

John Wood can probably shed some light on the athletes he sees at Michigan for example. Maybe I am all wet on this.

P.S. A lot of the U.S. guys here just train hard and don't come on this board bragging.  For example, the other day someone on this board did 6 sets of triples with a 3.  And, it was no peak. They grip train EVERY day.  It wasn't Heath.  :D

No one is getting defensive either. It seems you are though. If someone in the UK closes a 4, that would be awesome. If they do it witnessed by one of the "good ole boys" it will have some stink associated with it.   That was the whole point of my post.  It's simple. GET AN INDEPENDENT witness. Not one of the "good ole boys" to witness it.

Wow and I thought wanna was a moderator - ha ha.

Regarding closure. I'll do what needs to be done as per what Randall asks of me. Whether anyone here thinks there's a problem is by the by. Only after that will I worry what Grip Board members think.

PS: Scott you can now marry my child :p

Interesting logic, Steve. Only after you satisfy Randy

will you be concerned with what board members think.

Why not remain silent here on the matter until then?

Why was this topic started HERE in the first place?

Why not contact Randy and then inform the rest of us

what he determines?

Do you really, truly think Randy knows more about

gripper closures than some of the elite level grip-

meisters here, and I include you?

Reality does not depend on witnesses. But certification

does, so, if I were close to closing the 4, and if I cared,

I would contact Randy for procedure. I would not

ramble on about the grip board being of secondary

importance, when in fact it is my primary source of

speech about the matter, and I had not even contacted

the primary source for knowledge.

Hey, I can contribute too Steve. :)

I have to agree with Roark.  

If I was acting in moderator's mode, I would have deleted Scott's post. ;)

Scott you should go into professional wresslin'.  As much shit as you spout off you'd be a good manager.  I think we need a rant board so you can go bitch about anti-british people on the board.  I think people on this board have shown nothing but respect to David, Steve, Chris, Nathan and other European grip masters.  There is just as much talent here in the US as there is in the UK.  You have some greats in the game and so do we.  Since you are the "post nothing but polls daddy", thsi would be a good topic..........

Guest 77-1005097254

I think if someone was close to closing a no4 and it was "really" meant to be a secret, then it should not have been mentioned at all. I can't be bothered with all that teasing crap. I also think there was some goading going on with regards to traveling continents to get certified.

I agree that getting certified on the no4 should be by a independant and reliable witness. All the flag waving going on is wrong in my opinion. I don't care where in the world the next no4 closer comes from. We are all the same. Human Beings. I think!   :)

I think if someone was close to closing a no4 and it was "really" meant to be a secret, then it should not have been mentioned at all. I can't be bothered with all that teasing crap. I also think there was some goading going on with regards to traveling continents to get certified.

I agree that getting certified on the no4 should be by a independant and reliable witness. All the flag waving going on is wrong in my opinion. I don't care where in the world the next no4 closer comes from. We are all the same. Human Beings. I think!   :)

Good post.

However, again, I never said traveling was necessary.  It was that an INDEPENDENT person who is VERY credible should be the witness. History demands it! :)