Destination:certification

Hubgeezer

Some time in the last year, I figured out that the Gripboard was no longer a "closed" forum. Anyone connected to the Internet can read this forum.

I don't mind writing detailed thoughts and feelings to my friends, but to all the weirdos in the world with a computer, I don't think so!

With regret, I think I am going to post minimal information here from now on. If it was "members only", I would feel differently.

Still banging away at it. Had my first PRs of 2013 two days ago. Of all things, it was on the "new" IronMind Hub, both hands.

My gripper goal is to be able to Certify on the Number 3 at the Fit Expo on June 30. If I am not confident that I will do it, I am not going to attempt it. As I have said before, I don't want to be the Jim Kelly of Certifications (0-4 in Super Bowls).

I plan on competing in all 5 of the events at the grip competition of the Fit Expo. No guts, no glory.

I also may enter Daniel's contest in a month, but I will only be training on one of the four events for it (grippers). Never done that before, just sort of walked on without preparation, but will do so this time and see if it is still fun.

Six weeks later...

Entered Daniel's contest 8 days ago. As mentioned in the "contest" section, I give myself a "C" for my performance. Grippers and Pinch, B, Rolling Thunder C, and Wrist Lever, D.

Ironically, On April 6, I pulled 202 with my Left Hand on the Rolling Thunder. Two weeks to the day later, I failed with my left hand at 176 lbs! On April 6, I pulled 223 with my right hand one-half up, and on April 20, in that contest, pulled 190 only 3/4s of the way up. ??? Dry chalky handle, just like in San Jose. Tried to wipe it clean with a dry towel each time, but it just felt "heavy" from the warmup on. My skin and some of these handles are just a bad marriage...

Still plan on entering every event of the San Jose Fit Expo 9 weeks from today. If I am not ready for Certification on the No. 3, I will not attempt. Even if others "are doing it", I won't. Not going to pull a Jim Kelly. Not afraid of "no lifting" on stage of any of the events. The only person whose opinion I care about is my own.

Since my last post, I have had 6 workouts in which I did some kind of PR on the IronMind Hub. Sometimes it was "old hub" model, sometimes it is "new model" hub, sometimes left hand, sometimes right, sometimes one rep maximum, sometimes multiple reps. No question, the strongest I have ever been in my life on the IronMind Hub. The reason? For years, no one cared about this event. I have been in 9 contests (2004-2012) in which the event was contested. Except for 3 instances where the "claw method" was not used by all the competitors, never was beaten. I stopped doing it for a long period of time. Now, there is some attention being paid to it, and there have been some impressive performances. It has given me motivation to raise my own performance.

Destination: Certification"? Squeezed a paltry 150 lbs. RGC on an IM No. 3 in the contest with a 40mm set. Got my work cut out for me. Was working 70 hours per week in the 3 weeks prior to the contest. It will happen, not sure when.

Have another birthday in 3 weeks. Going to have to change my signature again...

I Remain Hubgeezer

It would warm my heart seeing you certify on the #3. Here's a toast to perseverance.

Some time in the last year, I figured out that the Gripboard was no longer a "closed" forum. Anyone connected to the Internet can read this forum.

I don't mind writing detailed thoughts and feelings to my friends, but to all the weirdos in the world with a computer, I don't think so!

With regret, I think I am going to post minimal information here from now on. If it was "members only", I would feel differently.

Still banging away at it. Had my first PRs of 2013 two days ago. Of all things, it was on the "new" IronMind Hub, both hands.

My gripper goal is to be able to Certify on the Number 3 at the Fit Expo on June 30. If I am not confident that I will do it, I am not going to attempt it. As I have said before, I don't want to be the Jim Kelly of Certifications (0-4 in Super Bowls).

I plan on competing in all 5 of the events at the grip competition of the Fit Expo. No guts, no glory.

I also may enter Daniel's contest in a month, but I will only be training on one of the four events for it (grippers). Never done that before, just sort of walked on without preparation, but will do so this time and see if it is still fun.

Six weeks later...

Entered Daniel's contest 8 days ago. As mentioned in the "contest" section, I give myself a "C" for my performance. Grippers and Pinch, B, Rolling Thunder C, and Wrist Lever, D.

Ironically, On April 6, I pulled 202 with my Left Hand on the Rolling Thunder. Two weeks to the day later, I failed with my left hand at 176 lbs! On April 6, I pulled 223 with my right hand one-half up, and on April 20, in that contest, pulled 190 only 3/4s of the way up. ??? Dry chalky handle, just like in San Jose. Tried to wipe it clean with a dry towel each time, but it just felt "heavy" from the warmup on. My skin and some of these handles are just a bad marriage...

Still plan on entering every event of the San Jose Fit Expo 9 weeks from today. If I am not ready for Certification on the No. 3, I will not attempt. Even if others "are doing it", I won't. Not going to pull a Jim Kelly. Not afraid of "no lifting" on stage of any of the events. The only person whose opinion I care about is my own.

Since my last post, I have had 6 workouts in which I did some kind of PR on the IronMind Hub. Sometimes it was "old hub" model, sometimes it is "new model" hub, sometimes left hand, sometimes right, sometimes one rep maximum, sometimes multiple reps. No question, the strongest I have ever been in my life on the IronMind Hub. The reason? For years, no one cared about this event. I have been in 9 contests (2004-2012) in which the event was contested. Except for 3 instances where the "claw method" was not used by all the competitors, never was beaten. I stopped doing it for a long period of time. Now, there is some attention being paid to it, and there have been some impressive performances. It has given me motivation to raise my own performance.

Destination: Certification"? Squeezed a paltry 150 lbs. RGC on an IM No. 3 in the contest with a 40mm set. Got my work cut out for me. Was working 70 hours per week in the 3 weeks prior to the contest. It will happen, not sure when.

I Remain Hubgeezer

I've read your log before and one thing Me and others can't wait to see "Hubg gets the #3"

• 4 weeks later...

I Remain Hubgeezer

Changed my signature again.

Got registered for the Record Breakers contest in Santa Clara. Five and one-half weeks to go. Best I have been is 1/12th of an inch off of Credit Card Closing my 154 Number 3. Not good enough. Have upped the volume the last 3 weeks.

• Like 1

I Remain Hubgeezer

Got registered for the Record Breakers contest in Santa Clara. Five and one-half weeks to go. Best I have been is 1/12th of an inch off of Credit Card Closing my 154 Number 3. Not good enough. Have upped the volume the last 3 weeks.

This is doable for you man...keep at it! What would be a good MMS max close for you btw on a good day?

I Remain Hubgeezer

This is doable for you man...keep at it! What would be a good MMS max close for you btw on a good day?
I don't think I have ever done a MMS before. The most shallow set I have ever used is about 1 and one-half inches. It runs between four and seven pounds more than my CCS. Four weeks ago it was 150 lbs. I don't imagine it is more than a pound or two more than that right now.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I Remain Hubgeezer

Contest in Santa Clara is tomorrow. Will not be attempting a Certification there. I am not sure what I am looking forward to the most...being with family, trying to "up the Hub", curious on Little Big Horn, hoping to avenge last year's poor Silver Bullet, watching Burke v. Rich v. Edgin v. Russian, curious on the increase in audience attendees for the grip contest, seeing a former employee and friend from LA with his family (he is going to be the scorekeeper)...or avoiding a "no lift" on the Axle. I have been in a slump on the Axle for over a year. I am wondering if Father Time is catching up with me, but am not ready to concede that.

Will be wearing my "competition" custom-made "Hubgeezer" Chuck Taylors. I have 3 pairs, all a little different from each other, all gifts from my wife over the years. My fancy black leathers with bright red trim (they no longer make these customs in leather) that are my special "Hubgeezer dress shoes", my black canvas stinky workout shoes that go back over 6 years (they are starting to wear a bit, not sure how much life they have left in them), and my black canvas competition shoes, one size larger than they probably should be, but are awfully comfortable. All have "skull and crossbone" interiors/tongues. The only compliments that I have gotten about my wardrobe the last 5 years have come from teenage girls and 20 something women: "I like your shoes". My wife saw them featured on "Ellen" in 2006. I don't understand why everyone doesn't own a pair, very inexpensive.

All kidding aside, the IronMind Hub is not exactly a generally accepted prestigious implement, although Zach Jacobs' big lifts have brought more attention to it than ever (as well as the whole "Crushed to Dust" thing). But at contests, it is the only event that I manage to get "into a zone", almost literally harnessing adrenaline. That alone seems to add 5, 10, 15 percent over what I would do in the garage. It's a rush unlike any I have ever had in my life, and it is quite peculiar to be experiencing something like that "at my age". I had a string of PRs in March and April on it, but they stopped all of a sudden. Tomorrow I could pull 55, I could pull 85, it all depends on the mind-body-adrenaline thing. I sure wish I could tap that type of thing on the axle. Could you imagine that? "Well, I could pull 300, I could pull 400".

In any event, looking forward to a good time. And, after that, getting back to this STUPID CERTIFICATION.

I Remain Hubgeezer

Contest in Santa Clara is tomorrow. Will not be attempting a Certification there. I am not sure what I am looking forward to the most...being with family, trying to "up the Hub", curious on Little Big Horn, hoping to avenge last year's poor Silver Bullet, watching Burke v. Rich v. Edgin v. Russian, curious on the increase in audience attendees for the grip contest, seeing a former employee and friend from LA with his family (he is going to be the scorekeeper)...or avoiding a "no lift" on the Axle. I have been in a slump on the Axle for over a year. I am wondering if Father Time is catching up with me, but am not ready to concede that.

Will be wearing my "competition" custom-made "Hubgeezer" Chuck Taylors. I have 3 pairs, all a little different from each other, all gifts from my wife over the years. My fancy black leathers with bright red trim (they no longer make these customs in leather) that are my special "Hubgeezer dress shoes", my black canvas stinky workout shoes that go back over 6 years (they are starting to wear a bit, not sure how much life they have left in them), and my black canvas competition shoes, one size larger than they probably should be, but are awfully comfortable. All have "skull and crossbone" interiors/tongues. The only compliments that I have gotten about my wardrobe the last 5 years have come from teenage girls and 20 something women: "I like your shoes". My wife saw them featured on "Ellen" in 2006. I don't understand why everyone doesn't own a pair, very inexpensive.

All kidding aside, the IronMind Hub is not exactly a generally accepted prestigious implement, although Zach Jacobs' big lifts have brought more attention to it than ever (as well as the whole "Crushed to Dust" thing). But at contests, it is the only event that I manage to get "into a zone", almost literally harnessing adrenaline. That alone seems to add 5, 10, 15 percent over what I would do in the garage. It's a rush unlike any I have ever had in my life, and it is quite peculiar to be experiencing something like that "at my age". I had a string of PRs in March and April on it, but they stopped all of a sudden. Tomorrow I could pull 55, I could pull 85, it all depends on the mind-body-adrenaline thing. I sure wish I could tap that type of thing on the axle. Could you imagine that? "Well, I could pull 300, I could pull 400".

In any event, looking forward to a good time. And, after that, getting back to this STUPID CERTIFICATION.

Good luck on the certification and event

I Remain Hubgeezer

Good luck on the certification and event

Thanks. I guess I could give a report of my personal performance yesterday.

Big disappointment that Rich Williams did not attend.

Good to have friends and family there, that went well.

I thought my Axle and Little Big Horn and Rolling Thunder were pathetic, but then that was the case for half the other competitors as well.

Silver Bullet? A bit over 30 seconds, and the only two people to beat me were the current World Record Holder on the device (Mike Burke), and the immediate preceding World Record Holder, Alexey T from Russia. I can't complain about that at all.

The Hub was right after the Silver Bullet, my hand was shaking, there were no warm-ups, the jumps in weights were too high, the device was wiped clean by a few (and I immediately put chalk on it), etc. etc., but I managed to pull 69 to Burke's and Alex's 64. Not exactly World Record Breaking, but I will take it. The 69 felt easy, but when they added 3 lbs to it, I got very little air. The adrenaline stopped flowing after I won, seriously. It was as if my body decided there was no reason to get excited about things...

Somehow, with the scoring being Strongman style, and my good performances on just two events, I ended up with the 3rd place trophy. Jeez, it's hard to believe...

Oh yeah, I did try something different in the Silver Bullet. Last time, I thought I would close it on the device, and then pace myself. The result was a paltry 4 seconds. This time I decided in advance that I would ATTACK the thing, sort of like the adrenaline-fueled Hub approach. It worked. I hear "5 seconds", and I yell out loud "AAAA!", and my hand jolts, and then after a while later, I am yelling at it again -- the most opposite of "Zen" I can be. So it is as if I am fighting the thing, and making noise. The audience seemed to enjoy some soft-looking geezer attacking a gripper. After it was over, the judge said that my attacking the thing was causing the device to swing and that it eventually swung out. Maybe so, but I think the Crazy Man Attacking Silver Bullet Approach was the reason I was able to hold it as long as I did, so I doubt that the Zen Approach would have helped any. You experiment and try different things, sometimes some of them work.

Great job Mike!!! Very inpressed by your Silver Bullet and Hub performance. What poundages did you pull on RT and Axle?

Great job Mike!!! Very inpressed by your Silver Bullet and Hub performance. What poundages did you pull on RT and Axle?

Opening weight was 83 kg for Rolling Thunder. I think there were 4 of us that got that, and then missed 93 on the Second Attempt.

Likewise, on the Axle, I negotiated a wimpy opener from Odd, 140 kg. All three of us weak ones easily got that. He then cranked it to 160 kg, 352 lbs.! All three of us got 3-5 inches of air, but that was it.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep up the hard work Mike !

I may not. Since my last post, I have been to a Retinal Specialist MD three times. I may have come close to my retina detaching with my contest efforts. I lifted weights today for the first time since the June 30 contest, and was using VERY light weights and high reps. I have done two "gripper" workouts with light grippers, and did light grip machine work those days as well. That's it. I see the doctor in 10 more days. It is very hard for me to say that maximum effort can cause serious physical injury. It is something very difficult to admit, but the sport that we love so dearly can be deceptively dangerous. I am taking it a day at a time.

• 6 months later...

I may not. Since my last post, I have been to a Retinal Specialist MD three times. I may have come close to my retina detaching with my contest efforts. I lifted weights today for the first time since the June 30 contest, and was using VERY light weights and high reps. I have done two "gripper" workouts with light grippers, and did light grip machine work those days as well. That's it. I see the doctor in 10 more days. It is very hard for me to say that maximum effort can cause serious physical injury. It is something very difficult to admit, but the sport that we love so dearly can be deceptively dangerous. I am taking it a day at a time.

Boy, what a glum post.

Today, I had PRs on 4 different gadgets. Sure, some of them were "left handed", but so what? I looked through my "PR log", and see that the last time I did that was...never. Gotta love Geezerhood!

My goal is to "Certify" on the Number 3 whenever the IM Record Breakers is in San Jose in July. I will be 60 by then. That's never been done. I think I'm going to do it.

• Like 1

Good luck Mike.

What is your plan for that coming cert day regarding grippers? I hope to be more than ready also by that time.

• 1 month later...

Good luck Mike.

What is your plan for that coming cert day regarding grippers? I hope to be more than ready also by that time.

Could be mid-July. With very minimal work the last few months, I have been improving. Tonight I CCS'd close my Grandmaster purchased 10 Years ago. I am at 2.9 CCS. For the last two months, once a week, I have been using the now-defunct "Formulator". Never heard of that thing helping with grippers, but I think it truly is working for me. I was off CCS about a tenth of an inch tonight on a 2009 failed Certification 3 gripper rated at 154 plus. The most "hard reps" (gripper of 2.5 or more) attempts that I have done in the last 10 months is 9, usually only 5, and have been doing grippers only twice per week. Once a week weight training with maybe 4 compound exercises, plus a couple of grip exercises. Lots of focus on double overhand Axle deadlift, no Rolling Thunder work. And I am getting stronger... weird, but I will take it...

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Boy, what a glum post.

Today, I had PRs on 4 different gadgets. Sure, some of them were "left handed", but so what? I looked through my "PR log", and see that the last time I did that was...never. Gotta love Geezerhood!

My goal is to "Certify" on the Number 3 whenever the IM Record Breakers is in San Jose in July. I will be 60 by then. That's never been done. I think I'm going to do it.

Fit Expo is in 4 days. No Certification attempt for me. Injured some tendons on my dominant hand two weeks ago. How? A guy at work has a 2.5, and I just grabbed it one day and squeezed, no warmup. Hurt myself. I am still going in the contest, and will do the "Silver Bullet", as well as the other two thick bar events. It is only 3 events this year, with my beloved Hub out of it, probably permanently (Haugen thinks it is a loser with the crowds).

I was about 1/12th of an inch away on my 154, and 1/8th of an inch off on my 159 Number 3s, CCS. So I can't say I was ready.

After the contest, and after the tendons heal, I am going to pursue the "Secret Weapon" using the book written by Kinney and John Wood. I have read it, but have not used it. John pretty meticulously goes through exactly how to go through it using specific applications of Joe's training methods. Most importantly, a real focus on small incremental gains. If, after all these years of banging away at my "advanced age", I get a "breakthrough" using that book on that gadget, seems like I should be a Poster Child for a Fanatical Testimonial! :) But, before then, I hope to have a good time at the Fit Expo. :mosher

Boy, what a glum post.

Fit Expo is in 4 days. No Certification attempt for me. Injured some tendons on my dominant hand two weeks ago. How? A guy at work has a 2.5, and I just grabbed it one day and squeezed, no warmup. Hurt myself. I am still going in the contest, and will do the "Silver Bullet", as well as the other two thick bar events. It is only 3 events this year, with my beloved Hub out of it, probably permanently (Haugen thinks it is a loser with the crowds).

I was about 1/12th of an inch away on my 154, and 1/8th of an inch off on my 159 Number 3s, CCS. So I can't say I was ready.

After the contest, and after the tendons heal, I am going to pursue the "Secret Weapon" using the book written by Kinney and John Wood. I have read it, but have not used it. John pretty meticulously goes through exactly how to go through it using specific applications of Joe's training methods. Most importantly, a real focus on small incremental gains. If, after all these years of banging away at my "advanced age", I get a "breakthrough" using that book on that gadget, seems like I should be a Poster Child for a Fanatical Testimonial! :) But, before then, I hope to have a good time at the Fit Expo. :mosher

Let's go man!

I look forward to hearing your Fit Expo write-up, Mike! Hope you competed even though the Hub wasn't in the lineup this time.

I look forward to hearing your Fit Expo write-up, Mike! Hope you competed even though the Hub wasn't in the lineup this time.

It was only 3 events, and I entered all 3.

First was Rolling Thunder, opening weight was 78 kg. (171 lb.). Got it easy Left Hand. Up 5 kg. to 182 lb. Got it Left Hand. Next was another 5 kg to 193. Left couple inches up, then solid good Right Hand. At that point some ordinary-looking (nonathletic) lady & her husband, 50ish, came up to me and asked me "Sir, HOW OLD ARE YOU?" :) I missed 204, got enough air most thought I would get it. I have done 222 in the garage, and have done more than 200 over 100 times. Except for an LA contest in 2006, have not exceeded 200 in a contest. At least I got the 193 that I failed on in 2012 and 2013, so I was okay w/ it.

Next was Apollon's Axle. Weights were 140 kg, 160 kg, 170 kg, 185 kg, and up and up and up. Typical Haugen setup, no light weights or baby steps up. The opening weight of 308 lb/140 kg was a feather. Next stop was 160 kg/352 lb. A PR attempt that I had planned for over 6 months. The same weight that I got 4 inches off the floor a year ago, where I more or less tore my retina, took time off for a while blah, blah, blah...I didn't get it. Got it to lower part of knees. I think I had 345 in me that day, but not 352 lb. Will eventually get it. If they have it again next year, I will.

Silver Bullet. I have not trained grippers in two weeks. It hurts when I close the Sport, have a couple of sore tendons in my ring and middle fingers. So warming up, I closed nothing harder than a 1.5 Gripper. I had taken 8 Ibuprofen over the previous 24 hours. So, 22 seconds on the Silver Bullet with a Number 3, well I can't complain.1st was Jon Eckland w/ 44 plus, and 2nd was Clay Edgin w/ 33 plus.

Going to give some rest to the fingers, then see how Round 3 on the Secret Weapon goes. And, I had an IM gift card from my birthday, so yesterday I ordered the Silver Bullet.

Certification...it's still the Goal!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Not much to do with training, and I am not a fan of Powerlifting, but...

Am going to get on a plane, fly to Las Vegas, watch my kid in a Powerlifting contest, fly back and get to bed by 10 pm tonight. Since I started this thread, my son has gone from a garage lifter, to an aspiring BJJ combatant, to an aspiring Olympic-style weightlifter, to an Elite Powerlifter. He finally found something he is real good at! He is shooting for 1625 to total to qualify for RUM. I think he will PR (high 1500s, not sure he will pull off the 1625), competing in the 220 class, having moved up from 198.

Most of us on these forums are all about our own performances, it is going to be nice to be a "fan" for a change. He was not too into sports after junior high, so I guess I am making up for lost time (he is 33 years old), as he never played high school football, basketball, etc. Going to be fun!

Oh yeah, I think the Secret Weapon is forming a "base" of crushing strength of sorts for me. Hard to explain, but it is as if I am recovering faster from gripper workouts now. Using the principles laid out in the Wood/Kinney book. I am so sensitive to injury, it is almost ridiculous how cautious I am.

No question, "age" is becoming a factor. But I am the best on crush that I have been in a couple of years. Hope to be there in a few months. I think the book and the use of it was a good move...

Edited by Hubgeezer