Destination:certification

Hubgeezer

September 22. 7 reps hard grippers.

September 23. Nothing.

September 24. 17 reps hard grippers. Nothing great to report.

September 25. Lifted weights and did grip work. No Rolling Thunder PRs today, except I did 15 reps with 182 lbs, which I was happy with. Got a Trap Bar Single Rep PR of 386 today, an 8 pound improvement.

Well, the grip contest I was whispering about in here for a few months is now known throughout "the grip world". Not quite what I hoped it would be from "my perspective", but I think it is a little more "grip oriented" than Might Mitts was, as it is not 100% thickbar. I will probably go. I may enter just for Day 1, if they will allow that. I can't do any of the Day 2 events! Pay $100 to kick the crap kicked out of me. Sounds fun!

Great Pr, as long as your getting stronger in some type of way...your doing just fine :mosher

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck if you decide to go for the cert! Just stay positive and refuse to allow any negative thoughts in your head. Nothing but full closes allowed in your mind. If the wife asks you to open a jar of pickles twist until the lid breaks off and hand it back and say "here honey, fully closed." Make someone else open doors for you so all you do is close them. Nothing but closes in your future ;)

September 26. Nothing.

September 27. 3 hard gripper reps. Yep, 3. Not sure I even mentioned was participating in a contest in San Bernardino.

September 28-29-30, October 1. Nothing. Resting for Contest.

October 2. Southern California Meltdown grip contest at Robert Alva's home. Reported and written up by me in detail on the "contests" section. I have been training for strength/personal satisfaction, for Certification, for this contest, and things beyond that. Too many different goals. I had wanted to PR in the Hub, Axle, and Vertical Bar. I had written off Two Hand Pinch months ago for this contest. Then I lowered my expectations to a PR in the Axle, and figured it would take a contest to do it at this point. I didn't get it. The other things, okay. But had a great time, fantastic time, and the Odd Haugen attempt at a World Record 48 hours (or less) after a medical procedure at Age 60 was quite something to behold. He almost pulled it off, too!

BUT, I PR'D ON GRIPPERS IN THE CONTEST! :mosher Yes! :rock

RR=Redneck Rated

My set is 1 5/8ths of an inch, not exactly "real deep". The 147, an IronMind Number 3, was my first attempt. It felt like a No. 2! Then I failed at a PDA 546 RR155.3, and barely missed. So, I pulled out my 2009 "Certification Gripper" (snicker snicker) RR154.24 and barely closed it for my 3rd attempt. For my 4th attempt, I could not decide between a RB300N RR160 or an IM Number 3 RR158. I was leaning towards the RB300N, because it was so narrow. Kevin Bussi said I could do whatever I wanted, but he thought the very end of it was real tough. I took his word for it, and tried the IM 158.24. Got it, barely. :rock

Although there were days in late 2008, where I think I could have closed 160, 163, etc using the Hubgeezer Set, the fact is, I never did. So, my 158 close is a PR. But the way the 147 went down was just amazing to me, which is what gave me the confidence on the others. The rest is what did it.

Which brings me to October 23, 2010. I will be at the AOBS again, and the world's largest supply of IronMind Certification Witnesses will be on hand, as well as R Strossen. Dr. Randall has been telling me to go for it, thinks that my distance away is mental, a mental block, etc. Normally, he is a guy who prefers to only dink around with a Certification if someone is 110% ready. I was ready in 2008, was not in 2009. Based on closing grippers, with two weeks out, I am closer than either one of those times. I decided to do no other grip work before AOBS and just concentrate on grippers for two weeks. Did grippers on October 4, 6, and 8. No great shakes, but not exactly rested up to really know where I am. Perhaps 4 more gripper workouts in the next 7 or 8 days, and then complete rest after that would be enough to pull it off. I don't know if there is a record for "misses", and am not too crazy about setting it with 3. I would prefer to be in a situation where I can guarantee a victory, but that is tough to do. What I know about myself is that I am fully capable of squeezing 155 Credit Card Set two weeks from today. I would prefer to be doing 160 right now, but it's not there. If I had to guess what my CCS closing strength was in July 2008 on Certification Day, it was 155. If I had to guess what the RR was on the Number 3, it was 156. I know I am stronger than I was two weeks out before C-Day in 2008.

A conversation with myself there...

Broke my code (concentrate on grippers for two weeks) and did Deadlifts today, because I finally got an Olympic Bar, a used one, gift from my son a week ago. My old one fell apart in 2009. Tried a PR of 370, didn't have the guts to take it past those first 3 inches, the legs felt too close to exploding. My PR remains at 366.

Just for the heck of it, tried 210 on Rolling Thunder III today. Got it about 2 inches up. Dropped it down to 202 just to see if it was a fluke a while back. JUST DESTROYED IT! Up 110%, long hold, you would think I could have done 215. I guess my goal is to weigh 199 and pull 220 on the III version. If I get to that point, that would be great if I could do something with the Inch, which I have but can't do anything except pull the bell closest to the body about 4 inches up, or get 1/2 inch air on both sides. 200 lbs RT = Zero Inch if the variable is Hubgeezer...

Great great write up here. All those gripper Pr's, man you were on Hub :rock Glad your still doing the Rolling Thunder, hope to see you pick the Inch up in time too ;) Have the faith in that cert. Sounds like you've been at it for years and when it's game time, no fear on that cert :cool Your looking stronger each time I read this and you can only get better. stay strong :cool

Best of luck to you on Oct.23 hub.I know you can get it and you know you can get it. I'm rooting for ya ;)

Great to hear that you're going to give the #3 cert another shot Mike! I hope to see you smash the handles shut and do a shirtless victory lap around the venue when you nail it shut!:yikes Really, really rooting for you in other words - just in case that wasn't clear.

I was in a car wreck (not my fault) a few months after my first #3 close and hurt my right hand. The money hand. Bent the steering wheel all the way to the dash and then had to pry my hand out from underneath it. I remember thinking (after I knew my wife and I were okay and the other lady was okay) right there on the highway - "Dang it! I won't be able to close my #3 now!" Well, my hand healed and the rest was history. I guess my point is to keep that goal solid in your mind and you'll destroy it when the time is right.

Also huge congrats on the big RT pulls! I actually wish I had one again because it's so "comfortable" to train it.

• 2 weeks later...

September 26. Nothing.

September 27. 3 hard gripper reps. Yep, 3. Not sure I even mentioned was participating in a contest in San Bernardino.

September 28-29-30, October 1. Nothing. Resting for Contest.

October 2. Southern California Meltdown grip contest at Robert Alva's home. Reported and written up by me in detail on the "contests" section. I have been training for strength/personal satisfaction, for Certification, for this contest, and things beyond that. Too many different goals. I had wanted to PR in the Hub, Axle, and Vertical Bar. I had written off Two Hand Pinch months ago for this contest. Then I lowered my expectations to a PR in the Axle, and figured it would take a contest to do it at this point. I didn't get it. The other things, okay. But had a great time, fantastic time, and the Odd Haugen attempt at a World Record 48 hours (or less) after a medical procedure at Age 60 was quite something to behold. He almost pulled it off, too!

BUT, I PR'D ON GRIPPERS IN THE CONTEST! :mosher Yes! :rock

RR=Redneck Rated

My set is 1 5/8ths of an inch, not exactly "real deep". The 147, an IronMind Number 3, was my first attempt. It felt like a No. 2! Then I failed at a PDA 546 RR155.3, and barely missed. So, I pulled out my 2009 "Certification Gripper" (snicker snicker) RR154.24 and barely closed it for my 3rd attempt. For my 4th attempt, I could not decide between a RB300N RR160 or an IM Number 3 RR158. I was leaning towards the RB300N, because it was so narrow. Kevin Bussi said I could do whatever I wanted, but he thought the very end of it was real tough. I took his word for it, and tried the IM 158.24. Got it, barely. :rock

Although there were days in late 2008, where I think I could have closed 160, 163, etc using the Hubgeezer Set, the fact is, I never did. So, my 158 close is a PR. But the way the 147 went down was just amazing to me, which is what gave me the confidence on the others. The rest is what did it.

Which brings me to October 23, 2010. I will be at the AOBS again, and the world's largest supply of IronMind Certification Witnesses will be on hand, as well as R Strossen. Dr. Randall has been telling me to go for it, thinks that my distance away is mental, a mental block, etc. Normally, he is a guy who prefers to only dink around with a Certification if someone is 110% ready. I was ready in 2008, was not in 2009. Based on closing grippers, with two weeks out, I am closer than either one of those times. I decided to do no other grip work before AOBS and just concentrate on grippers for two weeks. Did grippers on October 4, 6, and 8. No great shakes, but not exactly rested up to really know where I am. Perhaps 4 more gripper workouts in the next 7 or 8 days, and then complete rest after that would be enough to pull it off. I don't know if there is a record for "misses", and am not too crazy about setting it with 3. I would prefer to be in a situation where I can guarantee a victory, but that is tough to do. What I know about myself is that I am fully capable of squeezing 155 Credit Card Set two weeks from today. I would prefer to be doing 160 right now, but it's not there. If I had to guess what my CCS closing strength was in July 2008 on Certification Day, it was 155. If I had to guess what the RR was on the Number 3, it was 156. I know I am stronger than I was two weeks out before C-Day in 2008.

A conversation with myself there...

Broke my code (concentrate on grippers for two weeks) and did Deadlifts today, because I finally got an Olympic Bar, a used one, gift from my son a week ago. My old one fell apart in 2009. Tried a PR of 370, didn't have the guts to take it past those first 3 inches, the legs felt too close to exploding. My PR remains at 366.

Just for the heck of it, tried 210 on Rolling Thunder III today. Got it about 2 inches up. Dropped it down to 202 just to see if it was a fluke a while back. JUST DESTROYED IT! Up 110%, long hold, you would think I could have done 215. I guess my goal is to weigh 199 and pull 220 on the III version. If I get to that point, that would be great if I could do something with the Inch, which I have but can't do anything except pull the bell closest to the body about 4 inches up, or get 1/2 inch air on both sides. 200 lbs RT = Zero Inch if the variable is Hubgeezer...

Well Mike,fill us in. How did things go at the AOBS dinner? Robert, Kevin, and I were keeping our fingers crossed for you while working out at Robert's. Hoping you killed that sucker.

Next time, assuming there is a next time, I have to be closing my 158 CCS at home before I go for it.

Excellent write up. As I told Mike, I rated the gripper twice using completely different combinations of plates and hoping to average the minor variances in strap placement, etc. It was 159 both times. Probably 3" spread. Totally unforgiving sweep on a gripper that wide, which most of the new #3s are that wide. Remember that sweep strength is not reflected in the Gripper Ratings, but is immediately evident in the hand. This was a tough gripper.

Your comment above is exactly right, and a good goal I think.

Mike I think your absence of ego, and presence of heart, determination, and humility will see you through. And you have a plan to boot. I hope you go for it again and I believe you will give it a fight.

Great writeup Mike. The thing I love is the total absence of "quit" anywhere in you. Below is a saying I have found that often helps me - maybe it can help you as well.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

- MARY ANNE RADMACHER

It's been 3 weeks since I posted. One week ago today I went for Certification, and did not get it. Here is my story.

I backed off from doing "overload" work two weeks and a day before my attempt. I have a history of doing a heavy overload workout 7-9 days before a contest. Randy Strossen urged me to listen to him and do short intense gripper workouts for the last two weeks with primarily a 2.5 CCS. Seeing as I failed two previous times, my last contest had my best gripper day ever with 8 days of no overload, and he was giving me a break by trying a Certification without my "truly" being ready, I followed his advice. It was interesting, because for the next 10 days, with no monster workouts, I really was stronger every time I touched the grippers. A credit card set on the Number 2.5 felt like an easy 2 with a deeper set. He also had some preparation advice regarding visualization and rest. He was very encouraging, very positive.

I was not talking much about it. At AOBS there were a few who knew. Dennis Rogers came up to me (Dennis Rogers :whacked ) and told me I should just be thinking of it as a 2. I am going to close a 2, and I would do it. Now, as simplistic and as silly as that may sound, when you consider the things Dennis has done at his size, as well as his age, obviously he has something going on that most of us do not.

I knew what time I wanted to do it, and selected a place that was open and isolated, part of a back entry way to the hotel (Marriott at Newark Airport). There was a door nearby I could walk outside, jump around, pace around by myself, and there was a little hotel table where I could put down my warmup grippers and chalk. So, everything was laid out to my liking in a big way. Five mintues before the agreed upon time, I was pretty much warmed up with my son (age 29, been my biggest supporter since he was 17, and today, one strong and physically menancing young man, great guy) when the others showed up. There was Randy Strossen, Pat Pouvaulitis as judge, and Odd Haugen as a spectator. Haugen was in a contest 3 weeks earlier and saw me close 3 different 3s, so he was good positive energy.

I warmed up both hands. For the heck of it, I was pushing my left hand to see how it was. It was a good day. I have a very wide 1999 2 that is about a 2.5, and I was grinding it with my left hand like I had never done before. It was going to be a good day.

I made one major mistake, which I have not shared with anyone, including Dennis Rogers, Randy Strossen, and my son. I made the mistake of squeezing the Certification Gripper with my left hand. It went down to about half an inch, and stopped. My "good day", my preparation, my confidence, everything, was destroyed at that moment. Why? Because I am so wired into the difficulty of grippers by "feel", I knew this was a stronger than average Number 3. Although I didn't show it to anyone, I knew I wasn't going to do it. I was licked before I started.

I made 3 tries, and they were all about one eighth of an inch off - - a mile by Certification purposes. The first attempt was really screwy because when I started squeezing I had not moved the card all the way from the handles so the card was stuck in the grippers and I had to yank it out. I was so far off, I stopped at 3 attempts. Then something else happened. Randy opened another one for me! It was slightly easier, and I didn't go much past the other. Pat P later admitted that he agreed with me that the second one was just the slightest bit easier. If I had to guess the "RR" difference (Redneck Rating), I would say it was about 2 pounds.

I am sorry to say that I was not really a gracious loser. Two years ago, I was not really ready, but took a very solid harder than average 3 down to a hair multiple times, maybe even to closing, and was fine with it. Last year, I had no business trying for Certification, and took it to 1/8th of an inch. I have that gripper and it is 154 Redneck Rated. This year, I knew I was much stronger than last year, and possibly as ready as I was in 2008, but was not sure. No, I was not ready.

The gripper has been measured by Cannon. It came in at 159, just under 160. The spread was a little wider than average, so that could be why it appeared to me to be over 160.

Okay, all of that being said, so what? The reality is, for guys like me (let's face it, at the low end of the strength chain for Captains of Crush), we can't be setting our sights on doing "just enough" to certify. Because, how much is "just enough"? What about how you felt that day, some fluky thing with how the credit card came out, the weather (don't laugh, heat and metal...) etc etc? And besides, just because they have averaged 152-154, who is to say that a 3 is not supposed to be 160? Using my basic formula (a very personal estimating methodology) for measuring my own strength based on how far away I am from closing something, in retrospect, I was at best in shape for a credit card set of say, 152, maybe as low as 148. That ain't good enough folks. What, I am supposed to hope for a sub-150 gripper? Just because someone else got it that way is besides the point. Besides, many of these recent Captains of Crush are not on the Gripboard, and based on the writeups I read, are destroying the gripper, so they have a lot more in the tank. Heck, my closes at contests of "over 150s" are just barely closes. "You had it for a fraction of a second, and then it backed off, so I gave it to you".

Next time, assuming there is a next time, I have to be closing my 158 CCS at home before I go for it.

My experience probably has an impact on future Certifications. I think IronMind will want assurances that you are in fact closing your 3 CCS consistently before you are going to get a shot at it. And, after my experience, that is a reasonable policy.

Not exactly sure what path I am going to take, but I am thinking: lots of gripper work, overall weight training, my Rolling Thunder work, but no pinch, Vbar, hub, or blob work. I had thought about competing in Day One of the Fit Expo Grip Contest for entertainment purposes, but now I think I would rather attend and go for Certification down there instead. It is almost 3 months to the day. Kevin Bussi wants to go for the 3.5 there, and Gripzilla wants to shoot for the 3 there as well, so it would be fun to have a California Certification Celebration. And, seeing as Gripzilla is now over 50, that would be amazing to have two guys 50 or more certifying on the same day!

Having Pat P as a judge was a good choice. I am thinking that in Los Angeles, assuming it will be Wade Gillingham, that he too would be an excellent judge. Heck, he may have witnessed more than anyone else! Everything in Newark was perfect. Everything except my execution. By the way, the rest of trip, the time, everything else, was fantastic. Slim Farman was amazing. I think I have some things to learn from him.

Great write up there, and a inspiration for those going for this COC cert :rock I like your game plan of grippers and lots of it and RT work :cool Looks like just a off day. Sometimes like you, I go into difficulty of grippers by feel and really should be shutting...you aren't the only one :happy Hope you and Kevin and everybody have that California Certification , you guys can do it ;) Stay strong

:mosher

good wright up Hubgeezer you keep at it your gonna get it soon. and if your training grippers with handgripperman he can help you alot i never was into grippers but you can close it for the both of us :mosher good luck i did get close closing it but quit i trained mostly by doing rack holds until my hand opened up over and over again

Awesome write up Mike! Keep working at it and you'll get it. Maybe make your goal a BBE instead of a 3 so you can get past the mental barrier of closing the 3. Whatever you do, the time you've given yourself for the next attempt is plenty of time to gain the little extra strength you need to get it brother!

You know how I feel about it since we've talked about this specific attempt already. But I'll say it again so you can hear it again. Don't quit! Don't give up on this goal because you're very, very close. You're being hard on yourself thinking that you should essentially be able to CCS pretty much any #3 out there to claim the COC title. A 159lb #3 is very solid - as you know. I know you would've been reluctant to consider yourself a COC if you had opened up the package and (not by any fault of yours) you somehow had a 140lb #3 instead of the usual mid-150lb #3 average. That I can understand. But I really hope you keep hammering away at it. The thrll of certifying is really special. It will be even more so for you since you've worked so long for it.

I'am really sorry about this.

If one day or another I'am prepared for the #3 cert., I will read this post again because it's very well written. Your courage and determination is very inspiring.

I'am convinced that there's no reason why you shouldn't do it in a near future. You have the guts to do it, believe me !

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. Stay on it! You're so close now! You just have to get that final push.

BTW Cool if you can train together with your son! That would be something cool

to train grip with my father haha! All the best, with your determination cert.

WILL happen.

• 1 month later...

I am just "bumping" this, so I don't have to go fishing for it again.

Been lifting weights and doing grippers. No pinch, no vbar, no blobs, no hub. Strength going up, grippers, slipping a bit.

The INTENSITY is not there. I don't know if I mentioned that Randy Strossen was suggesting dropping grippers for 6 weeks and going with a grip machine. I have an old "hardy handshake", which is not made any more, and a Go-Ready, or Go-Rilla, or whatever the product is called is just too much money. I have one of the original Secret Weapons made by Joe Kinney, purchased it around 8 years ago. It wouldn't surprise me if it was the last one he personally made and sold, as I got it from the back of a piece of paper that he was using for writing notes. My daughter sent away for it, and he sent it, without any correspondence. Found out she shorted him $10, and I sent that to him, didn't hear from him then either.

His DVD with John Wood got me interested in it again. I think I only used it for a few weeks, then dropped it.

I used it last night for the first time since July, and think I will use it once per week in place of grippers. After reading about that Russian arm wrestler focusing on the last bit, I think it is time to try the Secret Weapon again for the last bit, as I have never given it a fair chance. Never given Strap Holds a fair chance either. Negatives, choker work, yes. It's that last bit.

It is starting to look unlikely for the Fit Expo meet for Certification. In 5 weeks, I am not going to go from 1/8th inch to dominating it CCS style. Still not giving up though. I have to tell you, I have one ulterior motive. At some point during 2011, I will have passed the mark that Richard Sorin "recertified" for age when he did so during 2007. I am already older than the oldest first time COC, G Gillingham. It would be cool to set a record that will never be broken, and I don't believe that it would be. No one is as stubborn as me. Talking to Slim the Hammer Man as part of research for a piece I am doing on him, and he talked about a serious injury he had to his hand at my exact age, and that was when he gave up on breaking his most revered record. My point? No one in the world has more drive than Slim the Hammer Man, so if he gave it up at 56...

My apologies to Chris Rice, who has exceeded his limits on a regular basis. But I am talking GRIPPERS here! And this means Chris has 6 years more tenacity than Slim the Hammer Man.

Hbgzr

I am just "bumping" this, so I don't have to go fishing for it again.

Been lifting weights and doing grippers. No pinch, no vbar, no blobs, no hub. Strength going up, grippers, slipping a bit.

The INTENSITY is not there. I don't know if I mentioned that Randy Strossen was suggesting dropping grippers for 6 weeks and going with a grip machine. I have an old "hardy handshake", which is not made any more, and a Go-Ready, or Go-Rilla, or whatever the product is called is just too much money. I have one of the original Secret Weapons made by Joe Kinney, purchased it around 8 years ago. It wouldn't surprise me if it was the last one he personally made and sold, as I got it from the back of a piece of paper that he was using for writing notes. My daughter sent away for it, and he sent it, without any correspondence. Found out she shorted him $10, and I sent that to him, didn't hear from him then either.

His DVD with John Wood got me interested in it again. I think I only used it for a few weeks, then dropped it.

I used it last night for the first time since July, and think I will use it once per week in place of grippers. After reading about that Russian arm wrestler focusing on the last bit, I think it is time to try the Secret Weapon again for the last bit, as I have never given it a fair chance. Never given Strap Holds a fair chance either. Negatives, choker work, yes. It's that last bit.

It is starting to look unlikely for the Fit Expo meet for Certification. In 5 weeks, I am not going to go from 1/8th inch to dominating it CCS style. Still not giving up though. I have to tell you, I have one ulterior motive. At some point during 2011, I will have passed the mark that Richard Sorin "recertified" for age when he did so during 2007. I am already older than the oldest first time COC, G Gillingham. It would be cool to set a record that will never be broken, and I don't believe that it would be. No one is as stubborn as me. Talking to Slim the Hammer Man as part of research for a piece I am doing on him, and he talked about a serious injury he had to his hand at my exact age, and that was when he gave up on breaking his most revered record. My point? No one in the world has more drive than Slim the Hammer Man, so if he gave it up at 56...

My apologies to Chris Rice, who has exceeded his limits on a regular basis. But I am talking GRIPPERS here! And this means Chris has 6 years more tenacity than Slim the Hammer Man.

Hbgzr

Great to hear your still training and coming up with a new plan I bet is just what you need. Negs, chokers and hardy handshake should be a great shock. Looking forward to seeing the oldest :blush COC crowned ever :bow

I KNOW YOU'LL ACHIEVE THE COC CERT MIKE! Why all caps? Because I'm only too glad to hammer it into your head.:mosher Your mind is in the right spot though and I love the determination to keep banging away.

Mike you are a true inspiration to grip guys everywhere and guys like you and Chris are an especially huge motivation for me because I hope that I have 1/10th the drive and motivation to succeed that you guys do when I'm your age. Keep up the hard work and you will do it, period.

Big T, Ben, VikingsRule...thanks very much. Sometimes "the attaboys" I read on this forum are empty cheerleading. Not so for me for this. I really appreciate it!

Mike

Mike, as already said, I really like your attitude ! Your motivation is a real example to follow, at any age !

I hope that your new plans will get you to the cert!

Train hard !