Destination:certification

Hubgeezer

I have had the worst injury of my "grip career" (details in Goerner's), and it has been 5 weeks since I touched a barbell. I have no idea when I will be able to work out again.

A few weeks ago, I got the December Milo and read Ben Edwards' article, Destination:Certification.

Since all of my work during July-November for a contest flew out the window, I needed a new goal:certification. In May, after EIGHT YEARS, I closed my #3 for the first time, and on May 19, closed an easy 3 in the British Grips. Since then, I only closed my 3 a few times. I figured with my relatively wide set (1 3/4 inches), Credit Card Setting would be "no big deal". I tihink a credit card is 2 1/8 inches wide.

BIG DIFFERENCE

After two weeks of doing nothing, and I mean nothing, I read the Edwards' article. After reading it, on my back in bed, every other day, I worked the ring and pinky fingers with the IM Tugs (1,2, & 3). Two weeks of that.

For one week, on my back, with no chalk, I was doing Credit Card Set only reps with the Trainer, #1, RB180, and my beloved Super 2, a 1999 super wide IM #2 that I rate at 2.5, 2.6. Sometimes I could credit card set the Super 2, sometimes not.

Credit Card Sets are very awkward. Personally, a Self-Administered-Credit-Card-Shove-Between-The-Handles is, I believe a dumb idea. I could see if an independent person were to do it, but yourself? To me, it is like drilling your own teeth. However, I accept the challenge. I don't like the Tax Laws, and I follow all of them, so this is no different.

For the last week, I started my journal up again. On December 14, I stood up, but did not use chalk. Credit Card Set attempt on my #3: 1/4 inch off. My work is cut out for me.

December 18: used chalk: 3/16ths inch off, then 1/8th inch off.

December 20: 4 singles of 1/8th inch away. Strict Credit Card Set.

So, that last 1/8th of an inch, on an average 2004 #3 Gripper, what/how long will it be before Certification? No Idea At All. At the earliest, two months. At the latest, forever. My Goal is to do it at The Fit Expo in L.A. in February. Right now, I can't do anything besides grippers, so what the hell, give it a shot...

Thanks a lot Hub! It's very flattering to see someone using the program here on the GB. I tested it out already on a few novices, there just wasn't any call for describing their results although they were all positive. If you have any questions about the program let me know. PM or e-mail. I'd love to help push you along the final bit to certify. It's an awesome feeling.

Ben I read your article also and found it infomative.I would love to cert the number 3.I did BBB III with no training and finished 12th.I was hoping for a top 10 but what can you expect with no training.I have been out about a year with 2 bulging disks.I triied everything known to man to fix the problem with no result.With just plain rest for a few months the pain has become almost nonexistant.I am back in the gym again now for a month and am hungry again.My big push is for this years masters world championships highland games in july.I turned 50 this year and will be the kid again in my age divsion.So I am working hard in the gym and hope to start throwing again soon.That is my main goal right now but I have the grip bug again too.I am about a 1/4 of an inch from closing my #3 with no training.I would rate my #3 a medium 3.I have tried a hard 3 and easy 3 at BBB and would say mine falls somewhere in between.My biggest problem is the finish.I can't get that last 1/16 of an inch on an easy 3 or that last 1/4 or less on my medium 3 or a hard 3.Any suggestions other then to train on a regular basis?I am not a repper like you.I seem to be a low rep person.I don't know that I could close a #1 for 10 reps but I am reasonably close to closing a #3 for 1.

Did around 10 singles last night, including 4 reps with my #3. The second one was 1/12th of an inch, then they fell off to 1/8th of an inch.

The comfort with using a CCS width is not as awkward as it was just a week ago.

Did 15 Singles last night (24th) ranging from my Super 2 to my Super 3 (a 2006 #3 tougher than my Elite, MM2, RB300N, around a 3.25 or 3.3), all CCS.

First time I ever tried to CCS my Super 3 in the 15 months I have had it. Got it to 1/8 of an inch CCS.

My best on my 2004 #3 was about 1/10th of an inch. Was not happy with that, but real happy with the squeeze on my Super 3.

Well done mike CCSing or getting close to.. a #3 let a alone a hard #3 is no easy feat, i've been working on it for ages.

• 2 weeks later...

December 26. 6 CCS reps/attempts. 4 Super 3 in Choker attempts. My final close is an issue, so I am adding some Choker work.

December 29. 8 CCS, 2 Chokers w/ Super 3. 1/8th inch off on 3 of the "regular" #3 reps.

December 31. No Choker work. 16 reps, many with my Super 2.

January 2. 15 reps total, 3 of which were the Super 3 in the Choker.

January 4, tonight. 15 reps total. Did 3 reps with my regular 2004 #3:

a. The first rep was 1/12th away.

b. The second rep was 1/16th of an inch from closing.

c. The third rep was around 1/18th of an inch from closing. That is Credit Card Set, self-administered, with a pause before beginning. :cool

Mike you'll get it I have no doubt - time is on your side! More importantly - I hope you get that darn leg better and can get back into some movement work to keep your overall health doing well. Keep moving all you can even if it's just a wiggle - and good luck!

January 6. Did 19 singles, no choker work. The 16 reps were all CCS, spread among my Super 2, 2004 #3, my 2006 Super 3, an IM 2.5, RB160, RB210, and RB260N.

The highlight was taking the 3.5 to 3/8s of an inch with a Credit Card Set. The #3 CCS attempts were nothing to get excited about this time.

Did some block weights lifting, which was the first time I had done anything other than grippers in 7 weeks.

January 8. Did 20 singles, including 3 reps with choker. Grippers for the 17 CCS attempts were Super 2, 2004 #3, 2006 Super 3, IM 3.5, RB240N, RB260N, and Beef Builder SuperMaster.

Did not do great on the #3 (a little under an eight of an inch), but, after 15 heavy CCS attempts of various grippers, could Credit Card Set and Close the RB240N, SuperMaster, and the RB260N. I put them at 2.6, 2.65, and 2.7. My IM 2.5, is, I believe 2.75 plus. Would love for someone to calibrate it. I don't think I have Credit Card Set it in the 3 weeks I have been doing this. The IM's are MUCH tougher to CCS than the RB Narrows, as there is very little tension in the gripper at Credit Card width of a RB Narrow compared to IronMind. I think the next measurement of success for me should be CCS and Closing my IM 2.5, as it is a tough guy, probably tougher than some Easy 3's.

So, I think I can safely say I can Credit Card Set a 2.7 level gripper, maybe 2.8. It needs to get to what I consider 3.1 before I am ready for Certification.

January 10. 16 reps, no choker, all CCS attempts. Got the 2004 #3 to 1/16th inch, my 2006 Super 3 to 1/8th inch.

January 12. 22 reps, no choker, all CCS. Got the 2004 #3 to about 1/20th of an inch. Got the Super 3 to 1/8th inch. Got the IM 3.5 to 3/8th of an inch. Was probably a close on the IM 2.5, which is definitely 2.75 plus in difficulty. 20th rep was a RB260N, it was way less than a millimeter to close.

I am going to take a few days off, and see what happens when I resume.

January 13. Nothing.

January 14. Nothing.

January 15. Did mostly singles on the Super 2 with my hands under the table at a seminar.

January 16. Nothing.

January 17. 15 Credit Card Set attempts on various grippers, no choker work. Unremarkable workout.

January 18. Nothing.

January 19. 17 total reps, 14 CCS attempts, 3 Super 3 singles from a choker.Highlights of the workout: Mashed the IM 2.5 that I rate 2.75. Also, was around 1/24th away from a CCS attempt on my Grand Master, which I rate 2.9.

I am now a 2.8 level Credit Card Set closer. :cool Now, on to hammer my 2.9! :mosher

Nice workouts. I recently started doing CCS closes with my grippers and noticed how much more difficult it is. I'm able to TNS my #2, but have difficulty performing CCS reps on it.

great log about the COC No. 3 hopefully I can get there soon as well

• 2 weeks later...

January 20. Nothing

January 21. 19 reps/attempts of 2.5 level or more. On a MM2 Replica, did within 3/16ths of an inch. Everything CCS.

January 22. No grippers.

January 23. 20 reps total, strong close on the IM 2.5, which is a 2.75 in difficulty.

January 24. No grippers.

January 25. 13 reps total, almost closed the GrandMaster CCS.

January 26. Some hex work.

January 27. 17 reps total, 5 reps in a choker, 2 of which were IM 3.5

January 28. Nothing.

January 29. 19 reps, 2 reps in a choker (Super 3).

Janurary 30. Nothing.

January 31. Total reps, 22, 2 of which were Super 3 in a choker. Got the HG300 pretty easily in CCS. Damn close on two different attempts with the Grandmaster.

I rate my Credit Card Set at 2.85 right now. I hope to be at 2.9 within a week.

Setting the gripper in a Credit Card no longer mentally upsets me and feels awkward. I still don't like it, but it does not annoy me any more.

How would you rate your HG300? Mine felt very similar to a double stamped #3 that I tried.

I consider it a 2.8. It is tougher than any Super Master I have touched, as well as my RB260N. It is definitely easier than my Grand Master, which I rate at 2.9. My understanding is that HG300's can range from 2.4 to 3 plus.

Easily closing the HG300 CCS and just missing the Grd Mstr is how I came to rate my current level at 2.85.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots has happened since my last post in here.

Today I am declaring my leg healed. There is no longer a difference in calf size between good leg and bad leg.

I was sicker than a dog for several days.

I was on such a roll with grippers I honestly thought that today I would be certifying on the #3 in Los Angeles. I felt so good I even emailed Strossen to discuss it. Then I got sick. No Los Angeles trip with son. Behind on work, still weak and recovering.

But my leg is fine!

Okay, to the point:

February 1. Nothing.

February 2. 16 Heavy reps.

February 3. Walked 3/4 of a mile.

February 4. Nuthin.

February 5. Written up someplace else. Did a little gripper gauntlet at a church "talent show". CCS closed #3 when I got home. In all, did 17 heavy gripper reps.

February 6. Walked 1.1 miles.

February 7. 18 heavy reps total. Never deep setted my Grand Master as well as it was hammered close via CCS this night. I think that was the best gripper close of my life. Hammering a 2.9 strict credit card close.

Did some very light trap bar deadlifts. My first in 3 months. Knees felt weird weak painful.

February 8. Feeling so cocky I email Strossen. Tell him I am going to the Fit Expo on February 17, and since my improvements are going through the roof, what does he think about...I tell him about my injury, reading Ben Edwards article in MILO while in bed, starting slowly, now it is moving, really moving, blah blah blah. Randy probably prefers I wait until I am mashing any 3 I want before arranging certification, but he trusts me that if I say I am ready, I will be ready. I tell him I will know February 11 if I will be ready or not. Little do I know I have already been infected by that stupid virus that is floating around 44 of 50 states in the country and will be praying be able to close my hands in a few days, heh heh heh...

February 9. 16 heavy reps CCS, some more light trap bar work. Since I am thinking about giving the GNC Grip Gaunlet a try, I pick up the ol Rolling Thunder for the first time in 3 months. Do 131 both hands. No problem. Do 166 both hands. No problem. 186, left up 2 inches, right, very easy. I didn't lose that much without working out?

February 10. Walk 1.2 miles

February 11. Sick. No more LA trip. No more certification in the near future.

February 12. Think I am better, go to work. Big mistake. Come home early.

February 13. REAL sick.

February 14. Sick.

February 15. I am going to live.

Febrary 16. 17 heavy gripper reps. Could not put Grand Master away CCS, but was 1/24th of an inch off of doing it. Not too bad considering I had lost 8 pounds from not eating anything during the previous 5 days. My throat was so sore I couldn't swallow water.

Back to it again. Certification will be mine. Oh yes, she will be mine.

Fantastic report man! Great to hear about the GM CCS close! Those are always stout. You've made some excellent progress. Looking forward to hearing about you smashing the #3 in your cert! By the way, thanks for the props on the MILO article.

• 2 months later...
February 5. Written up someplace else. Did a little gripper gauntlet at a church "talent show". CCS closed #3 when I got home. In all, did 17 heavy gripper reps.

February 6. Walked 1.1 miles.

February 7. 18 heavy reps total. Never deep setted my Grand Master as well as it was hammered close via CCS this night. I think that was the best gripper close of my life. Hammering a 2.9 strict credit card close.

Did some very light trap bar deadlifts. My first in 3 months. Knees felt weird weak painful.

February 9. 16 heavy reps CCS, some more light trap bar work. Since I am thinking about giving the GNC Grip Gaunlet a try, I pick up the ol Rolling Thunder for the first time in 3 months. Do 131 both hands. No problem. Do 166 both hands. No problem. 186, left up 2 inches, right, very easy. I didn't lose that much without working out?

February 10. Walk 1.2 miles

February 11. Sick. No more LA trip. No more certification in the near future.

Febrary 16. 17 heavy gripper reps. Could not put Grand Master away CCS, but was 1/24th of an inch off of doing it. Not too bad considering I had lost 8 pounds from not eating anything during the previous 5 days. My throat was so sore I couldn't swallow water.

Back to it again. Certification will be mine. Oh yes, she will be mine.

Been busier than hell the last two months. Been lifting some, Trap Bar for 20 reps has gone from 115 pounds (Feb 7 above) to 240 pounds, with no pain. Been walking the dog, but I may never jog again in my life. The knees just cannot take it.

I found that pinch, vertical bar, etc etc seems to take away from my grippers. So, after two months, I am still at around 2.8 on Credit Card Set close. Now that I know I will not be entering any grip contests in May or June (no Brits (was thinking about it until 2 weeks ago) and no apparent California contests in the near future), I have a new goal and a new path to it:

1. Certification on the Number 3 at the 25th AOBS Reunion on June 7.

2. Only a few barbell exercises, Block work, and grippers.

That is 6 weeks away. I will know in 3 weeks if I have a chance at it. If, in 3 weeks, I have not improved, I will probably stop posting on this thread, as I will have answered my original Certification question: Never Ending Story being the answer.

I really don't care much about Certification, honest. However, to get certified at the particular venue I have in mind, for my son, is probably the equivalent of seeing your kid graduate college: pride that lasts forever. We get along fine, but I want to have fun showing him what is possible when you put your mind to something, and to do something that he understands and respects, well, that is just too cool to pass up.

Hubgeezer Mike

You have had some nasty setbacks, and I find it inspirational reading your log. With your smart training and your obvious strength I think you have a very good chance of getting certified in July. Good luck and keep posting.