Top 50 Two Hands Pinch Lifters

EricMilfeld

• 1 month later...

Back to the No 5 spot baby! 109.1-kilos at the Peter Horne and was 2" short of locking out 117... oh yes... 117. No 1 spot... come to papa. :D

The list is updated with the results of the fourth annual Show of Hands Grip Cup. I improved with a pull of 224.4, Ryan Johnson improved with a 190.5, and Matt Chips is now on the list with a nice 193.9.

Back to the No 5 spot baby! 109.1-kilos at the Peter Horne and was 2" short of locking out 117... oh yes... 117. No 1 spot... come to papa. :D

Steve, awesome pinch! Are the results posted somewhere, so I can update the list with any and all lifts performed at the contest?

Poor Rex and Aaron... mere hours before they will get moved down a spot he he ;)

You've captured the fifth spot, Steve! Let the gloating begin, errr, continue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Eric,

A suggestion would be to indicate which lifts were done with a Euro set up and which lifts were done with other similar set ups. I am still not convinced the 'Americanized' version is fully comparable to the Euro set up. One could argue that once they are seasoned they should be equal and this assumption could also be extended to the two 1'' vbars used for competition, the LGC and the FBBC. Problem is I did test the two vbar brands back to back and even seasoned they were significantly different. There is no doubt that differences between two vbars of the same brand kept at different humidity and temperature will exceed the difference between two vbars of different brands kept in the same environment. However, my point is that all things being equal (i.e., same environment) the two vbar brands perform differently. One is easier than the other. I strongly suspect that this would also be the case in a controlled back to back comparison of the two pinch set ups (which I dare say no one has done other than expressing an opinion based on their experience with the two brands on different occasions in different environments) currently recognized by most for world records. For the same reason I would not use any other brands than FBBC for the 2'' vbar when it comes to recognition of world records. We should be consistent I think and not open up cans of worms.

Mikael - even euro pinches vary amongst themselves. And that is once they are seasoned. In May last year, on David's euro pinch kit i failed 80kg while i was hitting a regular 90kg on my own euro before hand. All the other factors, width used etc.. were the same. Humidity, temperature and so on may account for a small difference but NOT 10kg. I suspect David's was even more seasoned than mine as i had only used it 10 or so times. A few months later, without doing a lot of direct pinch training i did 91.7kg on Burkhard's pinch at the euros in Germany. The Finnish guys indeed use a different setup (Finnish version - look at the spacers they are different in the vids) and sometimes hit more on an 'official' euro pinch than they do in training. I think a lift with calibrated plates on any metal adjustable pinch device with spacers, regardless of level of seasoning or where it is made or who makes it should be allowed to account for a record on this list.

Ok. Sam's wrong on a couple of points and Mikeals not aware of a comparison which has taken place.

At last year's British we had our Euro set to warm up on and then David's to pull on. In ALL of the pinch events held in the South we've only used David's to pull on which levels that playing field. As someone who's pulled on both I've pulled more on David's which is, in fact, less seasoned than ours (less chalk for sure). So that's on a like for like basis at least. With that in mind there will be variation within the self same brand, as it were, never mind steels and so on.

Sam also made, by his own admission, some cock-ups at last years British. He opened too heavy, as much from choice as not knowing the equipment, then had to stay at that weight and missed all his attempts. He DOES have a Euro, as do I and has also pulled on David's. We should also allow for that, at least in my case thus far, I nearly always pull more on the platform with the Euros being the one and only time I never (and that set up was not as seasoned).

Add in the humidity and so on and variations are massive. David pulled 115-kilos in what was for me a moist cellar and I've pulled 105kilos to David's 109-kilo (2007 Brits) in my moist on that day gym.

The flip side of that is that any lifter attending an event were 2HP is being contested has the same issues regardless of 'brand'. At best we might argue that the owner of a particular set up being used has a small advantage and yet that doesn't always make them the best on the day.

I have the Euro 2hp...I purchased it from David Horne about 4 years ago. We are good to go at my contest :rock :rock :rock I look for the 2hp WR to fall from one of us :rock

• 2 weeks later...

Eric can you update my lift to 110.20 and add Sam Solomi to the list with a 93.07kg effort - both at the British on May 23rd.

Eric can you update my lift to 110.20 and add Sam Solomi to the list with a 93.07kg effort - both at the British on May 23rd.

I've been waiting for my other computer to become available, but my kids are computer junkies. I should be able to sneak on it tomorrow.

The list is updated with Steve Gardener's and Sam Solomi's improvements at the BHSA Grip Championships. And Gabriel Sum climbed up a bit while Martin Kotte put his name on the list at the Hahnenbacher Grip Challenge 5.

Well done, gripsters!

If weightlifting, powerlifting, etc. can have set bars within predetermined specs and by approved manufacturers, then I think we should. Realistically, local factors can have a big enough difference to render an equipment difference meaningless.

Records, even important ones, are a side show to who wins anyways.

• 3 months later...

Both John Eaton and Brent Barbe improved their standings on the list with some fine pinching at "Lift at Jedd's". Well done, guys! Although that nipping at my heels is a bit too close for comfort, John! :D

Thanks Eric! I think we should both work to get in the top ten on this list :D

Thanks Eric! I think we should both work to get in the top ten on this list :D

That actually is my goal! But I haven't been pinching lately, as my focus has been on utterly destroying everything steel I can get my hands on! :yikes But here shortly, watch out! I'm goin' on an all-out pinching binge. Let's do it, John!!! All we have to do is match our training lifts. ;)