Crushing A Walnut

menace3000

I think the legendary feat with a walnut is crushing it between the thumb and index finger (Brookfield talked about it in his book) and George Washington was rumored able to do it. It's basically just pinching it as I said and being stong enough for it to break but it's INSANELY hard from what I hear so I'm guessing it takes some amazing pinch strength.

It's not too tough. I usually do it when eating walnuts.

I must admit that I'm not able to crush every walnut with one hand, but about 50% of the time the walnuts will break ;)

Holding 2 walnuts in one hand and then crush one of them using the other (with that one hand only) is much easier though, but pinch crushing it isn't too hard either.

Edited by White Scorpion

Yes, just like what Mark said. It isn't that hard. Some are very hard and some are normal. 50% of the time it will break while pinching it.

I think the legendary feat with a walnut is crushing it between the thumb and index finger (Brookfield talked about it in his book) and George Washington was rumored able to do it. It's basically just pinching it as I said and being stong enough for it to break but it's INSANELY hard from what I hear so I'm guessing it takes some amazing pinch strength.

I heard about Alan Karaev to be able to do this.

I had such walnut in orchard that only it let with hammer it to break

I was mostly talking about being able to snap/crush a single walnut in one's hand....

thanks for all the responses. to those who think it's fairly easy ...would you mind posting a vid demonstrating the technique...? I remember a dad of my friends was somehow able to do this feat years back ...it was very impressive but i dont remember how he did it...

Edited by menace3000

I was mostly talking about being able to snap/crush a single walnut in one's hand....

thanks for all the responses. to those who think it's fairly easy ...would you mind posting a vid demonstrating the technique...? I remember a dad of my friends was somehow able to do this feat years back ...it was very impressive but i dont remember how he did it...

I'm pretty sure if you're talking about pinching a walnut until it cracks you just put it between your index and thumb and pinch.

Was just curious how this feat is done. I have heard of some people being able to do it with 1 hand.

If you did a search on this forum, I talked about this subject a long time ago. It's tough but not impossible.

I heard about Alan Karaev to be able to do this.

Hey Florian, I read about this too, Karaev was cracking walnuts between his index and thumb fingers before one of his MMA fights. He should've stuck to armwrestling though :D

• 2 years later...

Would'nt it be awesome if someone put this feat on youtube? :)

Seriously, what does it take in thumb/index finger strenght to pull this off?

Crack it between your index and thumb..

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun

Would'nt it be awesome if someone put this feat on youtube? :)

Seriously, what does it take in thumb/index finger strenght to pull this off?

Crack it between your index and thumb..

http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelkrahling#p/f/3/uwbTveY8GpI

It takes a while to get to it, but it is pretty well explained when when he does get to it.

Edited by Mike K

I've had the same experience as a couple of the other guys here. I'm able to get about 50% of them.

For reference, I've pinched both a Blob50 and 2x45s.

Next time I'm at the grocery store, if I remember, I'll pick some up and get a video.

Edited by MatterOverMind

Mike K:

Thanks for the video! He crushes one with the technique I was after, about 3:25 in the clip. I consider it my biggest goal ahead, to do the same. :tongue

MatterOverMind:

I would be super grateful if you put up a walnut crack video! :bow

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread.

I have not started to specificaly train for this yet, other things came up before..

But I was thinking about one thing:

The first step to crack them with one hand would obviously be to crack them with both thumbs pressing.

I was thinking about the correlation with TTK. So my question is for you who can crack walnut with your thumb/s :

How much could you crush in weight in TTK, when you could crack walnut with your thumbs? How much crush weight, when you could crack with one thumb?

If you don't remember and can crush walnut with your thumb/s. How much can you crush in TTK (1 thumb and/or 2 thumbs) ?

--

I think this is a cool grip feat! :mosher

Was just curious how this feat is done. I have heard of some people being able to do it with 1 hand.

I did that as a kid using the thumb and rest of fingers supporting the fore finger(as in video) that's easy. Try thumb and first finger only..now that's something!

I have seen many bend beer caps while using all fingers too...not much of a feat... but, take a cap on finger tip of thumb and first finger while held separated from other fingers (yes it takes a little practice)and with fingers held and kept straight as possible. Do that and you are a dangerous man in a bar room bet.Be careful with both stunts!RS

That is my long term goal to be able to do that

:upsidedwn