Toproll Doesnt Work Against A Hook...

hiii98

I've been training for months with the top roll and though i was getting pretty good at it. I just went 2 days ago to my first midwest championship tournament. Well i found out i was one of the few if any people who were trying for a toproll, EVERYONE was going for the hook. What i found next to impossible was to transition from my initial backpressure pull and to free my hand so i could employe a toproll. Then would get caught into a hook while still trying to do a toproll and i think it left me at a disadvantage that i wasnt prepared for. Any advice? Should i just practice the hook from now on and forget about using the toproll against "real" compeditors? (it works great against amatures)

First of all, you should be practicing both. Toproll vs Hook will still come down to HAND control. If your hand is stronger, then you can put the match were you want it. So whether you want to Top Roll or Hook, you need to develop you hand. Generally speaking a Top Roller will beat a Hooker. So don't give up on your Top Roll. BUT again......Train BOTH.

cool thanks for the link. I will add that to my training.

I guess my questions is the matches immediatly all went from a neutral position into a hook, once in the hook i found it next to impossible to perform a toproll or to get my fingers to escape. I've tested this with other friends recently. Is the trick to force his had back out of a hook into a neutral position?

it is good exercise http://armpower.net/images/trening_upload/...05181040005.jpg

but I recommended once in a while to alter position of belt

from this http://www.armsport.spb.ru/photo/m20.jpg on this http://www.armsport.spb.ru/photo/m23.jpg

Edited by pawel r

so if i understand you correct are you saying that wrist strength is key and to AVOID the hook initially? or to break out of it and force the wrist to a neutral position? Thank you for the exercises but i'm mostly interested in what technique to employ as i'm mostly experienced with amatures that dont employ a initial hard hook.

so if i understand you correct are you saying that wrist strength is key and to AVOID the hook initially? or to break out of it and force the wrist to a neutral position? Thank you for the exercises but i'm mostly interested in what technique to employ as i'm mostly experienced with amatures that dont employ a initial hard hook.

The real key is to be strong enough to make your opponents hand and arm do what ever you want it to.

But yeah if your gonna be a top roller it would be best to avoid the hook initially. Although it is a lot more impressive looking to pop someones wrist open after they have set there hook in. But thats uses some different muscles, which would have to be trained along with your top roll training.

• 4 months later...

To avoid a HOOK make exercises for your Wrist ! A Strong Wrist can't be Hooked...

At starting position lock your fingers at high as possible and give pressure with them on your opponents hand. ANd BE QUICK !

But if he already has you into hook position keep on hooking like Mr. Brown said.