Always the dead or uncles!

ruffhans

No your dad couldn't even get close...I hope u were kidding when u said it.....I would doubt if he even could get #2.....possibly #1.....most people who do manual work are at about #1

It's a big misconception...even people who have strong supporting grip....cant do much on the grippers because it's the last part where crush really comes into play that really matters...and no one really works that in their jobs/sports....

Also no....on average people are much stronger now than they were 30 years ago.....Just take most popular lifts and compare numbers...also nutrition, lifting , supplementation have all advanced quite a bit and are in large part responsible for the gains...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roark

• mcham

• menace3000

• Sybersnott

Entertaining thread. I don't know if this is true or not but my uncle told me a story about a guy he used to work with on the farm who was mentally handicapped. He told me that he was a really great guy and one of the hardest workers he has ever worked with. He told me that this guy was incredibly strong and he saw him pick up a bale of hay in each hand and hold them out to this side at arms length and step over a fence. Pretty impressive. Also, on the gripper note, that is why I like my friends to try my block wieghts. I am not that good on them, but the thought of someone picking up my 45# hex boggles their minds.....

Lol love this thread.. I have a few cousins that there parents brag so much about how much they could of lifted if they really tried, and since one of them was 230lbs she was saying he could of done a ton (also he did no weight he was in the band) And because he was so much bigger everyone was in shock when they found out my brother and I were alot stronger then him and could man handle him (have pictures if you'd like to see)

Also brought my grippers to church and alot of older adults swear up and down they and there fathers could close the #2 and #3.

Hell I'll even admit my dad couldn't close the #1, very close but he couldn't..

It's either the grippers are gay and why do you have them/need them for, they could of out done you on the #3 anyday

No your dad couldn't even get close...I hope u were kidding when u said it.....I would doubt if he even could get #2.....possibly #1.....most people who do manual work are at about #1

It's a big misconception...even people who have strong supporting grip....cant do much on the grippers because it's the last part where crush really comes into play that really matters...and no one really works that in their jobs/sports....

Also no....on average people are much stronger now than they were 30 years ago.....Just take most popular lifts and compare numbers...also nutrition, lifting , supplementation have all advanced quite a bit and are in large part responsible for the gains...

I was talking about the hand and finger strength and i think through manual work you get a lot of strength...

About my dad-well he was stronger when me but closing a gripper is something different,you are right!

Alexander dont get me wrong one can get VERY strong through manual labor...however closing grippers and doing specific manual labor are very different.....I would think manual labor would ahve more of an impact on things like levering....since it strengthens wrists so much....However grippers are a totally different animal altogether....they look so small and unintimidating...that you look at some guy who may be 6'6 and 350 and think 'hey that guy will destroy that gripper' but in reality a decent sized gripper #2+ will be overpowering....there are guys with truly huge deadlift numbers 700-800....who would struggle to close #2 and they are beasts size wise.....most people u see on the street or know pale in comparison...

You're right about most of that but the last part I think isn't true. Because while records of lifts and such have went up, the average guy today is probably a little weaker because of the less amount of manual labor done when they were younger. Now I'm not trying to say that back then everyone had super strength, just that the regular joe was probably a little stronger.

not sure about stronger but probably in better overall physical shape...as 1/3 of americans are obese and 2/3 are overweight....so that could be true...

however the extent could be debated endlessly....every1 always says 20 years ago I could do this or that...or before X injury I could fly through the air....or in the good old days X years ago people were strongmen...it's mostly just talk...I know some big people who do construction and are overweight and weak....and they do manual labor for a living...i agree there's correlation but no causality....

I think that the stories about some big men with really strong hands can be true but i think that 99 percent of those men cant close gripper nº3.

The same way Cleve Dean has freaky hand strength and he couldnt close nº3 first time he tried.

Closing a gripper is for me an ability and a handshake is the real deal in crushing STRENGTH.

not sure about stronger but probably in better overall physical shape...as 1/3 of americans are obese and 2/3 are overweight....so that could be true...

however the extent could be debated endlessly....every1 always says 20 years ago I could do this or that...or before X injury I could fly through the air....or in the good old days X years ago people were strongmen...it's mostly just talk...I know some big people who do construction and are overweight and weak....and they do manual labor for a living...i agree there's correlation but no causality....

I don't believe dumb things like there was a time that people were twice as strong as they are now. But it is true that 30 years ago people did more manual labor when they were kids, and the farther back you go the more heavy manual labor people in generally did. So I am sure people on average were at least tiny bit stronger.

Don't have any "uncle" stories related to grip as I only hear stories about fast cars since I've street raced for over 20 years. But back to grip.

I keep my grippers at work and will always let anyone try them. I'm very humble about them and watch the person try to close the T or #1. If he's got the "this is easy" attitude I tell him to close the last 1" so the handles touch. If they're humble I tell them good job. But it's funny how 99% of the people think that closing it until you can't move it anymore means it's closed.

Maybe it's working in corporate life, but for the most part people are cool about them, no bragging about strong friends who could close them, etc... I've had 1 guy get VERY close on the #1, surprised me. A few have repped the T and get all cocky, so I toss them the #1 and the look on their face is priceless :ohmy

Thought i'd add my experience, I showed my dad my grippers one evening, he had a go and couldn't close the #1, i also showed him the #2, although he wasn't exactly impressed that i could close it, but said that I should show them to this guy Stanfield from work, 'cos he has a serious grip.'

This stanfield man is a bully, he was my boss for a while and he's not a nice piece of work, so I see stanfield at work and say, hey, dad said you have a strong grip?

he smiled and said yeah.

I just wondered if you could close this?, and showed him the #2, he had a look, tried and didn't get parralel, then said " no, I can't do that don't know anyone that could "

haha!, I immediately had to demonstrate me closing the #2, needless to say his face was a picture and he looks at me with a bit more respect now!

I also find it funny when people say, "what's that then? you building up your wrists?"

Great thread.

I met a farmer once whos hands were thicker than steel. He was a brute to look at too, his whole body just smacked "thick". He had never seen a #3 before. I handed mine to him, and ... he closed it.

It was Josh Bigger, at the 2004 Snowman. There are exceptions to the rule.

My bad, it was Jan 4, 2003. I also wrote that Josh "had never seen an Ironmind gripper before". He did have some experience with the Rolling Thunder, and was talked about on the Gripboard, so he wasn't a complete unknown quantity.