Always the dead or uncles!

ruffhans

it always seems that when im letting other foloks try my CoCs, the always say something like this. " well, i got an uncle who could close that #3 about 50 times i bet" or " my grandpa, if he was alive, could close the #4 for sure, he had one hek of a hand shake".  well i find this alot with people. just about all of the time they have no idea about hand strength. in mot saying that there hard working uncle, dont have a good grip, but when i say that there is about 70 guys closed the #3 and only one to close the#4, they dont get it. last week after busting a gut on my#1, this guy said to me, well, if my dad was alive i KNOW he could close that there #3 and #4 together!          does anyone else ever meet people like this? ???

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roark

• mcham

• menace3000

• Sybersnott

My grandpa swears his dad could close the #4. I just don't get it. It's like these people are remembering child hood memories. They remember their older male role models as having superhuman strength. What they don't remember is that they were four when they lost to their dads even when using "both hands" when armwrestling.

Guest Uberman

I meet these people all the time. One place I worked this old man told his Karate buddy about the grippers then came back and asked if I would order the #4 for his buddy. I told him, again, all about the gippers and how hard they were and that only one person had ever closed the #4. He said "You don't understand, my buddy is a karate man and does lots of finger tip pushups." I tried to talk him into getting the #1 or 2 for his buddy. He finally got the #3. After getting it he said he gave it to his buddy and didn't see him but buddy said he was working out with the #3 and of course fully closing it. I was working construction, making asphalt I was in the hot plant with this guy who was positive different people on his crew could easily close the #3. At the end of the shift he had about 10 guys there all tried all failed. He got this loader op over, he was positive this guy would close the #3. The whole crew could not believe that the loader guy couldn't even close the #1.

As far as the 1000 lbs DL. I work in a psych ward, so I guess this guy has an excuss, he used to workout and used to bench press 1200lbs. Mike

No joke: I knew a man who was a plumber who

claimed he could judo chop a 24" pipe wrench and

break it into two pieces. When he was younger, of

course, not when he was telling me about it.

This is common because the COCs are so "underground" to most people.  I have had many friends that thought they had super grips tell me, "just bring the #3" when I go to visit them.  Of course, I take all of them, and then laugh when they can't touch the handles on the #1.

What I also find is when someone squeezes a gripper and is about an inch from closing it, they always say, "I am close!"  They don't seem to realize another 100+ inch pounds of pressure could be needed to get that last inch!  My PDA-387 is only 311 inch pounds when the handles are parallel.  That's a whopping 76-inch pound difference from parallel to closed!

I then tell them to close it on their leg, and they fail.  This usually wakes them up to the true power of the grippers.

Finally, I have a good friend that was a wrestler in college.  He gabbed my #3 once and squeezed it.  he moved it maybe a half inch.  He then said, "It would take awhile for me to get back the strength to close this".  Meaning he could close it in his prime!  Funny stuff.

Bottom line: you gotta train em' to close em'

Rick Walker :hehe

It is a compulsion for some loathsome people to know someone real or imagined who is superior to whomever stands before them. In this twisted way of thinking, the idolator of this real or imagined superman is superior to you simply because he knows this superman and you do not. Those who are intoxicated or otherwise mentally impaired have the most amusing stories. One weirdo told me that when he was eighteen that he was about as big as me but cut, and was in the Olympics. He won gold medals for bench press and arm curl. He took silver in the power clean because the winner cheated by squatting too deep.

A couple of years ago, I would take my #2 gripper around with me wherever I went, and I'd ask certain guys who LOOKED strong to try to see if they could close it.  No one ever could.  They got close a few times.... but NO closing the gripper!

I would BET a million dollars that the #4 I have they could NOT close it!!  I can barely budge it myself.

Stories, tall tales and legends... HAH!!   :hehe  :0  :hehe

I once had an older, overweight WOMAN tell me that she could close the #2 if she tried it a couple of years ago when her grip was "strong".  Some people are unbelievable!

People really don't understand dead weight.  Years ago, a fellow wandered into our gym and said, his son had told him that he had squatted 300 lbs and he wanted to try it.  We loaded it up for him and spotted real close, and of course, it buried him.  The only squat part was the going down.  In retrospect, we should have just run from the guy because of the danger involved.  Don't expect a layman to understand any feat of strength that doesn't involve everyday objects.

As for coming close on the grippers, well that's getting into physics and try getting someone to understand that.

When I let people try the grippers, it always amazes me.  Without fail, when someone can't close the #1, they immediately ask to see the #2, saying they might be able to close it instead.  Even after telling them that it's significantly harder, they insist.  But they were "close" (1" from closing) on that try.  Then I'm told "with a week's training, I'd close the #2."  I tell them they have to close the #1 first, to even contemplate the #2.  Most people can't even fathom the amount of pressure it takes to close the #3, much less the #2, or even the #1 (still pretty hard).  I've seen construction workers fail on the #1, and 140 pound crackheads (2) close the #1 on the first try.  Funny stuff. :D

Guest JoeQ1966

this is so common,,I have been hearing this for as long as I can remember..Everyone was so much stronger 10 years ago.I took my grippers to work and let everyone who wanted to try them give them a try.No one was within 1/2 to 3/4 or a inch on my 2 but they all thought they knew someone who could do it..They just dont have any idea how much it takes to get that last little bit.I would let some of the women try the grippers and they would get it almost to the 3/4 inch mark and I would just tell the guys that its the last 1/2 or so that is the monster.everyone gets it parallel.

same for me...

when I give the grippers to people to try, they are always a little sceptical of the difficulty, specially as I am of rather small build (73kg, 1.8m), and have small wrists...

Also I nearly always give them to try to big guys who work with their hands. And I get the "I could probably close when I was young" look in their eyes.

This is why having this board to appreciate one's efforts and feats is really motivating.

train hard

david

i guess that only we know the real deal. agian last night i took my grippers to my grandmothers b-day part. i showed them to my uncles,...well, guess what?, one of my uncles said he knew a guy that could without a problem, close the #4. i didnt bother to say anything. i just enjoyed the hidden knowledge that only us grip folks know. with a smile on my face, i said well, if this guy you know caould realy close it, i know a gripwebsite with a whole lota folks that would like to meet him! :p  my uncle said, well, he could atleast close the #3 anyway!

Regarding folks "knowing someone who could probably close a certain gripper", I think a big misconception on a lot of these people's part is how someone else's handshake "feels".

Example: I know two guys who landscape for a living. Both are good sized guys with strong hands. They don't do "formal" grip work (whereas I do). I can close the No. 2 with eitehr hand and can get the No. 3 to 1/4" (and I've been there for a L-O-N-G time and I haven't been getting any closer).

Anyway, my point is, when I shake hands with either of these guys (and not trying to be childish and maul each others palms), both of their hands seem so over powering to me. I have had both of them try my grippers and both could do the No. 1, but it wasn't done easily. NEITHER could do the No.2 and both couldn't believe what the No. 3 and No. 4 let alone the WorldClass felt like. So, for reasons unknown to me, the way a persons handshake feels (as overpowering as it might be) isn't necessarily directly related to their crushing ability, particulary with the grippers.

Before I let anyone try my grippers, I explain that

moving the handles toward each other is good, and

the closer together the better, BUT that is not the

goal- the goal is to touch the handles together.

In other words, I remove their feeling of accomplishment

before they ever grasp the gripper.

Explain that in the bench press, getting the bar off your chest

three inches, is A LONG WAY from finishing the bench press.

If someone does this partial bench press with, say, 200 lbs,

they NEVER ask for 300 lbs because 'they were real close'

with the 200 :D

But somehow since no 'weight' is involved with the grippers,

folks have a difficult time understanding that there is still

plenty of resistance.

Guest todd_xxxx

There is a guy that works at a pool hall I go to.  I told him about a guy at my gym that did a 715 squat, he said "yeah, that's what I could do in high school."  This guy is at least 300 lbs and doesn't look like he's ever touched a weight.  He's also only about 25.  A week or so later he asks "How much do you weigh?".  When I tell him, he tells me about his brother that is 240 and ZERO percent bodyfat.  I just laughed.  So the next day I'm in there with a friend from the gym that weighs 250-254 on any given day.  Now the guy says "My brother is 265 and zero percent bodyfat".  Guess he gained 25 lbs in one day.  All muscle of course.  He could also bench 415 in high school.

One delusional weirdo told me in all seriousness that he could squat clean 800 pounds and was the world arm wrestling champion while in high school. He humbly stated that his bench press was merely 500 pounds.

• 1 year later...

yeah well, when i went to manhattan for a week, i met a lady in grand central terminal who claimed to have done ALL the animation for ALL the disney movies including snow white. She also created the zodiac signs and constellations...(that's when i stepped away...and laughed my head off outside). She also said that she was the one being who was made by "the spirit" and not born from a woman. :erm

um... :unsure

um... :erm

Right. :shifty

MEAT

:mosher

i have a friend at work that bet me some dude who works there can close any of my grippers. i bet him that he'd not be able to close the #1. naturally, of course, i won.

though this confuses me, as this guy was extremely flexible and into karate.... said i fail to see any relation with, whatsoever, for his flexibilty, karate and closing a gripper. he couldn't even get it to parallel.

hat's off to the guy that tried though, he wasn't boastful before he attempted. he was always very humble about it.

stay strong!! :rock

I've never heard of people thinking they can close a higher gripper than one they can't close, that's pretty weird. And the testimonials given to barbender are the most rediculous lies I've heard regaurding lifting. Roark has the right idea, lay out the spects before you give it to them, don't let them imagine anything. People should be asked how a man developed such a strong grip without training with the grippers. This would ivolve something like 700 pound double overhand deadlifts or something.

I can't imagine how much smoke all your red nail benders get about grandpas.