Plate Curl/Rolling Thunder/Gripper Update

Guest Rog

Have been doing plate holds 2x/week for 3 sets using the Oly plates. Up to sets with 47lbs (35+10+2 1/2).  Just missed the 20kg plate curl 2 weeks ago, although did get it to parallel with floor.

A week ago I tried my RT for the first time in several months. I think the plate curls have helped quite a bit on this. I went up 10 lbs on this lift and got 244lb. I have to try this some more !  By the way, my RT handle doesn't revolve very smoothly, for the other folks who have this, is your handle similar ?

Little gripper work, using Atlas instead. Haven't even tried the Elite for a month. Can close 72lb on the Atlas after positioning handle comfortably in hand.

Finally able to post from work again although I am now "dual" registered.

Roger Steffens

(Edited by Rog at 3:02 pm on May 30, 2001)

Incredible work on the RT Roger!!!

It's funny- I saw "Rog", total posts: 1, and an RT lift of 244 lbs!! and talk about the Elite and 72 lb. Atlas life.  I thought, yeah right.  Then I saw the full name at the bottom.  Doh!!

Great work.  The RT I use seems to "roll" fine- I don't notice a sticking.  You'd better attend the RT Championship next year :)

BC.

Thanks.  I was just thinking that maybe mine might be easier due to increased friction, less tendency to revolve. It doesn't bind up but it's not like it's on bearings either.  As you know, a greasy handle is tough to pull on so I think the guys at the championship have a harder task with all the sweaty palms.

Then again, you've got 100 lbs. on me, Roger.  I'd guess that maybe the increased pressure from that additional weight on the inside of the sleeve against the outside of the handle may create a bit more friction than someone using far less weight.  If true, of course, there's nothing that can be done about that.  But I'm no physics expert.  Solan?  How's my intuitive math?

I don't get a great spin though.  It's not like spinning the sleeve of a barbell, that's for sure.  The material used may be too pourous to get that bearing feeling.

BC.

If you have a "sticky" RT..... I would suggest a little dab of graphite.  Just squirt it in, and roll it a bit.  The stickness is gone!

I'd guess that maybe the increased pressure from that additional weight on the inside of the sleeve against the outside of the handle may create a bit more friction than someone using far less weight.  If true, of course, there's nothing that can be done about that.  But I'm no physics expert.  Solan?  How's my intuitive math?

Your math (or physics in this case) is fine. On a plain surface, friction is proportional to pressure.