European Grip Championships

burkhardmacht

Just a thought to ask early to avoid problems in 2008!

Martin and Arne? David and Steve? Or David/Theo? Hermann Korte told me that he could do it again if no one else is interested.

Edited by Burkhard Macht

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• burkhardmacht

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• kilkkinen

David and I have discussed it. Not sure where we are with the idea. As in I have the venue but would love for someone else to get it all together (less stress for me ha ha).

Ok. Just had a quick MSN with David. 2008 is out for the both of us, 2009 is the next Champion of Champions competition and so we're keen on 2010 if no one else wants it.

OK, now it's Martins and Arnes turn to say if they are interested!

It's too early for me to tell. I'm still studying, and when I'm done with that I don't really know how rest of '08 looks for me.

If Hermann Korte would want to have euros next year, it's fine with me. We had a real nice weekend there last time!

I would have run it next year but I will hopefully be moving house, and have no idea when so I would be unable to plan it.

David

OK, then I'll inform Hermann Korte and let You know his final decision!

I would really like to see a BIG euro grip comp again, like in 2004, in the "good old days". I hope the best will show up again, not hiding behind the fame from the past... I also would like to see new countries participating in this comp, f. e. Finland with the strong Teemu boys!

Flo,

I enjoyed the Swedish experience that year - thanks Arne!

Hope the 'hiding' dig isn't aimed at me - never done any hiding from anything in my life!

Re. Next year;

1. I will hopefully be moving house, but since I haven't even found a new house I like, this will still take some time.

2. Coaching Elizabeth to win Britain's Strongest Woman is top of the competing list.

3. Making the BHSA a success in this country.

Really I have no idea if and when I will compete, as my finger is still not perfect (hurts on grippers and pinch), shoulder is still not right (although some deep massages and the tens machine are making it feel the best for a while). So I may just get on with what I fancy. There are plenty of guys coming through the ranks in Britain and this is the way it should be.

David

Hope the 'hiding' dig isn't aimed at me - never done any hiding from anything in my life!

No offense was meant here, esp. not against you, David. I know you are still competing (last hard battle against Steve at the Brits this year) and just have bad luck this year with you injury (GGC).

It would be a very special competition, if you would compete in it, but I know it's hard to say now for you, since your injury is not healed up yet; but it's still a long time to go to next summer, time to heal up.

IMO the best what you could do for the grip sport is to say "I'm a warrior! I'm in! I will compete in the Euros!".

I would be glad, if you and the BHSA, will send a strong british team to the next euros. Unfortunately, the interest of the brits in competing in the euros was low in 2006 and 2007 and I don't know why. The are so many very strong grip competitors in GB, like you, Mobster, Nick, Lane, Liz, Chris James, Dean Bolt and many more, you could form a world class team!

Hermann Korte will organize the Euros 2008. The competition will take place in August. The events are still not fixed. For questions or ideas concerning the competition/events/hotel rooms email to: hc.korte@arcor.de !

No offense was meant here, esp. not against you, David. I know you are still competing (last hard battle against Steve at the Brits this year) and just have bad luck this year with you injury (GGC).

It would be a very special competition, if you would compete in it, but I know it's hard to say now for you, since your injury is not healed up yet; but it's still a long time to go to next summer, time to heal up.

IMO the best what you could do for the grip sport is to say "I'm a warrior! I'm in! I will compete in the Euros!".

I would be glad, if you and the BHSA, will send a strong british team to the next euros. Unfortunately, the interest of the brits in competing in the euros was low in 2006 and 2007 and I don't know why. The are so many very strong grip competitors in GB, like you, Mobster, Nick, Lane, Liz, Chris James, Dean Bolt and many more, you could form a world class team!

Mines easy - could not afford to travel. Not enough money.

Flo,

Hopefully there will be a british team, and I'm pretty sure that whoever goes will be ready. I'm not sure who would come from those names you mention, as Nick, Dean and Elizabeth are doing strongman/woman comps. Laine has never competed in an all-round comp, and I'm pretty sure he'd be doing his Highland Games comps in Scotland. Chris James tore his bicep at the Brits and had surgery. As I said I'm not sure what I'm doing and I don't know about Steve.

But I thought you had to qualify for the Euros anyway?

As for being a Warrior, yes old Warrior! I will be 46 next year, and with over 20 years of contest battle scars to contend with. As it showed this year I poured all that training in to have it dashed away at the end with injury - maybe that was my last big go!

I'm enjoying the climbing right now, and apart from a winter break hope to be doing this every 6 weeks, or weekly if I live there.

We shall see. Maybe something will excite me grip wise.

David

Hopefully there will be a british team, and I'm pretty sure that whoever goes will be ready.

Would be great! :rock

• 1 month later...
Any info about date and events?

thank you

Not yet, Jose! The events will be fixed in January for sure! :rock

• 1 month later...

The events of the Euros 2008:

1. Gripper (Euro-grippers if David Horne and Martin Arildsson will send them - if not credit card)

2. 2hand pinch (euro setup)

3. Axle DL

4. Onehand DL

5. RT (thumbless)

For further questions email Hermann Korte (scroll up for his address)

Edited by Burkhard Macht

Do you have to qualify for this contest? Assuming i can get enough time off work to travel, compete, come back etc... (this would have to booked a long time in advance as it's hard to get weekends off) i would be very interested.

Wouldn't it be better if Axle DL and OHDL switched positions?

To be honest I think "no" - because two fatbar events in a row would be very hard to do. Believe me - it's good as it is! :rock

@ all: no qualification needed - as long as not too many competitors of one country will compete.

Post if You are definately interested to compete!

The date of the comp will be posted as soon as possible!

Train hard! :rock

• 2 weeks later...

The date of the Euros 2008 will be the 16th of August and it will take place in Hermann Kortes Gym in "Haltern am See"! :rock

If You need a room/hotel please contact Hermann Korte early enough via email (hc.korte@arcor.de)!

Train hard! :rock

Edited by Burkhard Macht

I'm in :rock

Definitely interested, just not sure if I can make it yet.

Hopefully Ill be able to give a definite answer soon, once things calm down at work ;)