DB Press

DB Bench

DB Row

DB Tri Ext

Lat Pull

Cable cross over

Foam Roller

Stretch

Kept everything at medium weight. Shoulder feels good, not 100% but good enough. Rest up and get ready for Saturday!!

when are you gonna start resting up for ISM?

Today and tomorrow.

I don't like taking a lot of time off. If I haven't felt some recent weight come contest time everything feels heavier than it should. I don't want my body to feel shocked by any of the weight. Of course the trick is to do something that won't wear you out but prepare you for handling the weight. This week I laided off a little more than usual b/c of some minor nagging injuries.

I will see you tomorrow or Sat. morning. Good luck!!

Thanks for the axle props guido. I like your rest theory. Good luck this weekend.

Breaking news. Our very own Guidio took second in the biggest Am. Strongman show of the year(next to nationals). Second only to a giant freak of a man! I heard it was a great show Mike.

Mike was crazy. Came out firing on all cylinders. Fastest time on the press medley and one of only a few to finish! Amazing performance.

Breaking news. Our very own Guidio took second in the biggest Am. Strongman show of the year(next to nationals). Second only to a giant freak of a man! I heard it was a great show Mike.

5th place actually. 2nd till the stones. Nothing taken away from his effort and performance. Told tell him I told you but I'm damn proud of him.

5th place actually. 2nd till the stones. Nothing taken away from his effort and performance. Told tell him I told you but I'm damn proud of him.

I got wrong info. Sorry bout that. When you consider the competition thats a great placing.

thanks for all the comments gentlemen!! I really appreciate it!!!

Press:

105 KB, 260 8" Log, 290 Axle, 330 12" Log

finished in 26-27sec. This was good enough to finish 1st. I didn't have an exact goal in mind for time but just to win the event. I was a little worried about the shoulder but didn't get hurt so that was great.

18" Deadlift:

700,800,900, 950x0

We knew the set-up would be unique but was pretty surprised to see how much whip the bar had. I hit a near 100lb PR along with everyone else. The weight didn't hit until a few inches into the pull. Could have trained a little differently on this if we know more about the set-up but everyone was in that position. Tied third in this and couldn't be too upset with that.

Farmers:

325x80ft

Made it 60ft, drop, rest a few seconds, then finished. I don't know what my time was but I think I finished somewhere in the middle of the pack. My goal here was just not to drop the farmers. They felt light off the pick and had nice handles but my left hand gave out as usual before I could finish. The humidity played a big factor in this contest. I couldn't get my hands dry to save my life. I had good chalk but I could tell my hands weren't nearly as dry as they had been training here in Fargo during the winter. Goal for the future is to keep improving my grip and speed on this event. Going into the contest I knew this would be my worst event but still needed to do well if I was going to have a shot at winning.

Yoke:

850x60ft

My goal for this was to finish around 12 secs. I think I finished around 15 secs and was disappointed. I dropped the yoke twice which really surprised me because it really didn't feel that heavy. Something was out of balance and I am going to have to go back and look at the film to see what was going on. One thing I knew I wasn't going to like that I had seen the night before at the weigh in was that the cross bar was positioned down onto the side posts. This made so you couldn't grab the side posts without sliding your hands way down, which was a position I have never practiced before. I knew this was going to cause instability without keeping the posts in a tight position. In the end it doesn't really matter, everyone had the same set-up, so all is fair. I will have to concentrate on some yoke technique in the near future.

Stones:

275,300,330,360 @ 48" 405x0

My run sucked and this was the low point of the day. I don't know what the hell is going on with stones in contests. In training, it seems like I destroy the stones and consider it a strength of mine. I have never had a good stone run in a contest. I don't know what my time was but it wasn't good at all. I really thought I could throw all of the stones up there in around 20 secs; I wasn't even close. Once again, the humidity really seemed to change the way the tacky was applied and how it felt on the stones. I just couldn't get it to stick to my arms for anything, every stone felt slippery. I'm going to have to think about this and figure out what is going on. I wasn't tired or depleted of any strength so this made it very frustrating not to perform well when I felt so good going into the event. In the end there are no excuses because everyone at the contest lifts under the same exact conditions so no matter what, the strongest guy is going to win!

Going into the contest I knew there would be no room for error or finishing outside of 5th on any of the events in order to have a shot at winning. That’s exactly what the winner did ( I don’t think he won any of the events but never finished outside the top 4). The day had its ups and downs but I feel like it was a good experience and will only better me in the future of my strongman career. It was a pleasure to compete with and against my training partners and friends. I was proud of Matt and John seeing how the performed throughout the competition, knowing all the hard work they had put in the last four months for this contest!

Time to re-evaluate some goals and get ready for the next competition. My body feels pretty good today and I think that is a direct result of the training that we had put for this contest.

Are you sure about the weights of the stones your training with? Just a thought.

Are you sure about the weights of the stones your training with? Just a thought.

With nearly absolute confidence.

A lot of things are just different come contest day and the best you can do is hope to be better prepared on the next go round. How often do you do a PR series after 4 other circa PR events in new weather conditions. This adaptation is what seperate the higher ranks in this sport from the lower ranks. Developing your physical calaber to be able to perform outside or beyond what is considered reasonable parameters by most.

Tomorrow is as good an opportunity as any.

Did you weigh them or are you using the formula? Chris pours different stones from the same mold with different weights. Gillingham weighs his stones every few months because they lose weight as they cure over time(up to a point of course). Only reason I brought it up is Mike said he consistently has poor stone runs in contest compared to training. Obviously being a contest and the last event is different than training. That goes without saying. Even if you say it in italics

Edited by Chris Mathison

Did you weigh them or are you using the formula? Chris pours different stones from the same mold with different weights. Gillingham weighs his stones every few months because they lose weight as they cure over time(up to a point of course). Only reason I brought it up is Mike said he consistently has poor stone runs in contest compared to training. Obviously being a contest and the last event is different than training. That goes without saying. Even if you say it in italics

I will destroy you! Sass? Pop your head like a pimple. :angry:

We weigh them.

We weigh them.

Try it big boy. Maybe the italic thing was a little impudent. You know I wasnt serious.

Edited by Chris Mathison

We weigh them.

Try it big boy. Maybe the italic thing was a little impudent but dont be so sensitive. You know I wasnt serious.

I you know I wasn't. Silly.

Oh yeah, and YAY FOR MIKE CARUSO!

I don't think this has to do with the weight of the stones. We have enough heavy stones to train with for this not to be an issue. Matt is absolutely right, you have to prepare for all possible conditions. It will just take some time and training to figure it out. You can learn more from a contest than you ever will in training because that is when it counts. I will do my best to prepare so something like that doesn't happen again but if it does, I will learn from it and continue training till I do get it.

btw, I don't think Shuna has posted yet but he took 2nd place in the light weights (not to start controversy but he kinda got screwed on the press medley and should of had 1st place). This was John's first contest and he won 3 out of the 5 events!! Congrats to John!!!

Kept everything light and 10-12 reps/3-4 sets. Trying to rebuild some work capacity. Was planning on doing log cleans but the back was more sore than I had thought and was not allowed. More of a recovery workout.

Snatchs

Seated Calf Raise

Leg Curls

Single Leg Press

Shoulder Rehab

Shoulder Series

Internal Rotation

Exeternal Rotation

Flyes

Treadmill

15 min. of walk/jog

Foam Roller

Stretch

Plan will now be to prepare for nationals in September. I still have to qualify so I will make a stop at a contest to do so. I am excited about nationals; it is going to take some careful planning and hard work to get ready but that will be the fun part!

Front Squat:

4x5x315

Sup. Pull Down

Rev Tri Ext

DB Shrugs

Cable Rows

Russian Twist

Tri Press down

Bunch of Hip work (e.g. Abduction, Adduction)

Foam Roller

Stretch

Back is still sore. Felt good to do some different lifts. Will hit it harder this weekend.

Building up some work capacity for nationals. 3 of the 8 events are for reps. Haven't trained high reps in a few months and it is going to take some time to bring back some endurance. The weights aren't heavy but this was pretty tough b/c all the reps!

Snatch:

115x3, 165x3, 4x1x205

Just wanted to see how it would feel to do these.

4x12x170,220,220,170

Pull Down (neutral grip):

4x12x205,220,235,190

Tate Press:

2x12x55

T-bar Row (wide):

2x12x135

Log Cleans:

3x230x6,7,8

DB Ext Rot

3x12x25,35,30

Foam Roller

Stretch

Just finished watching clockwork orange because of your avatar. Watched it at work with netflix instant view(what else am I gonna do at work?) odd odd movie. Anyways, sounds like your focused on Nats. Does that mean no Waseca?

Clockwork orange is a great great movie. If you dug that movie watch the newer movie funny games. Seems influenced by the book but not as Kubrickish as Clockwork Orange.

Mike, I think you are going to great at nationals. But with such a large field you never know what could happen. When are you gonna take a shot at another Platinum plus. You put on a real clinic at Iowa.

Matt- the shoulder is doing pretty good. I'm still a little hesitant to put it behind my head and go full bore, maybe in a few weeks it will be 100%..?

Chris- thank you! I didn't perform my best at Iowa but was still pleased with some of the events. My plan right now is to compete at Minn State to qualify for nationals. I will go to nationals and that will probably be it for the year. There is a platnium plus in NC two weeks before nats but that is getting a little pricey and may take some energy away from nats. Are you competing at Minn State next weekend?

I will do my best and hope to preform well in the future. Thanks for the encouragment, hope to see you next weekend!