• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• David Horne

• The Mac

• PERTHPOWER

Good work David. I wonder if for Junior and Master's records it would be possible to put in the Birthdate of each record holder?

As for getting Grip on Eurosport, it is a possibility, but do you have any idea how many sports are trying to get onto that Network? Even the very small sports you see are much bigger sports than Grip at the moment. We will get Grip on the TV when we get some sponsors - the difficulty of this of course is that sponsors want TV and press coverage, vicious circle really.

I approached a very large company to sponsor my Swindon Grip Comps - everyone was really supportive and interested, the amount I was asking for was absolute peanuts in terms of their advertising budget, but in the end I was told to come back next year because they just couldn't justify the expense in terms of their overall business strategy - ie. the people who would be interested in the comp would not go out and by more of the sponsoring companies products, despite the fact that potentially thousands of people would have been exposed to the event and the company would have been linked to a positive event. In a sense it was my error, a poor choice of company to go to if you like, but in today's financial climate companies are less likely to go out on a limb.

As has been mentioned, perhaps the best way to grow grip at the moment is to get grip events included alongside Strongman, powerlifting and weightlifting contests, broadening the base of competitors and just getting the message of the sport out there.

Ah, it's just me being picky, it just what I am used to looking at Athletic's records.

You've done the hard work now, in comparison to trawling through the results to set it up keeping it updated is child's play as I am sure you know!!

David Horne

Now it's up to everyone to have a crack at the records. We should have our first record event, mixed in with a Challenge match soon. As soon as I have the final date sorted, this will be up.

David

Good work David. I wonder if for Junior and Master's records it would be possible to put in the Birthdate of each record holder?

As for getting Grip on Eurosport, it is a possibility, but do you have any idea how many sports are trying to get onto that Network? Even the very small sports you see are much bigger sports than Grip at the moment. We will get Grip on the TV when we get some sponsors - the difficulty of this of course is that sponsors want TV and press coverage, vicious circle really.

I approached a very large company to sponsor my Swindon Grip Comps - everyone was really supportive and interested, the amount I was asking for was absolute peanuts in terms of their advertising budget, but in the end I was told to come back next year because they just couldn't justify the expense in terms of their overall business strategy - ie. the people who would be interested in the comp would not go out and by more of the sponsoring companies products, despite the fact that potentially thousands of people would have been exposed to the event and the company would have been linked to a positive event. In a sense it was my error, a poor choice of company to go to if you like, but in today's financial climate companies are less likely to go out on a limb.

As has been mentioned, perhaps the best way to grow grip at the moment is to get grip events included alongside Strongman, powerlifting and weightlifting contests, broadening the base of competitors and just getting the message of the sport out there.

yeh, i dont think approaching sports channels would work as it stands, because like you're saying, its not really out there, basically everybody but a very select few dont even know its actually a sport, even people who train there grip for other sports dont know its a sport in itself, not from people ive talked to about it anyway - i think it is possible to get on eurosport uk somewhen down the line, maybe we would have to have some more entertaining events added an get lucky with sponsorship, but i can see it happening. Maybe there is loads of sports trying to get on the network, but ive seen loads of different sports on there, some that i didnt know existed, so it seems they are not just wanting to be on >the reason why i think its something to look in to.

just checked the record lists - on the sponsorship part it says exibition, does that mean exibition lifts? as in if i went to whey consortium an steves there i could have official exibition lifts to go after a record?

mobsterone
just checked the record lists - on the sponsorship part it says exibition, does that mean exibition lifts? as in if i went to whey consortium an steves there i could have official exibition lifts to go after a record?

Link please - I have no idea what you mean.

David Horne

Paul,

There will be record events each month at the Whey gym and here in Stafford. So plenty of chances to go for a record soon.

David

mobsterone

Between our gym, David's and any other wishing to be involved we wanna hold monthly events. Check the calender on our forum for 2007 and 2008.

Link please - I have no idea what you mean.

talking of these records david posted - http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/britishrecords.html

in the sponsorship part from the 1st post, #4 said exibition lifts, which im guessing means feats of strength for a crowd or sponsorship to do a feat, but since there is organised exibition feats/lifts, i was wondering if that meant you could attempt a record outside of competition, with it being classed as an exibition lift? for example the one hand deadlift with 2" bar, unless my memory is playing up i think i remember doing the exact same weight of 92kg a while back with each hand, because my standard bar with the 2" over is 12kg an i think i did 2 20's each side >if i wanted to attempt this record could i come down to whey an attempt it? (i dont know if you have a 2" bar, this is just an example)

thinking about this, you could probably beat anything i could do..meh

David Horne

Paul,

I have 2" bar that you can have a go at, and also if yours is 2", and a barbell that freely revolves and is not bent then that could be used at a record event at Steve's, upon him giving it the ok. But he may even have a 2" bar himself.

The Single Event records are the records that can be done out of competition.

David

mobsterone
Paul,

I have 2" bar that you can have a go at, and also if yours is 2", and a barbell that freely revolves and is not bent then that could be used at a record event at Steve's, upon him giving it the ok. But he may even have a 2" bar himself.

The Single Event records are the records that can be done out of competition.

David

Yes but 1) you'd need to announce it ahead of time 2) it needs to be done under BHSA rules 3) an exhibition lift isn't done in the

gym while training.

So, as I am a level 1 ref under BHSA rules Paul could come here or to you and do the lift but not as his regular gym with a mate as a witness.

Is the one hand deadlift done with the bar at the front or side of your body or in between your legs like the one hand lift.?

I am sure it's all of the above but recommend between your legs / straddling

David Horne

Paul,

As Steve says this attempt at a record needs to be planned ahead, and since there will be plenty of record days - I suggest one of those. Unless Steve wants to do something else.

Male or Female Single event record

A British Record in this section is achieved -

If you have beaten the previous record in a BHSA sanctioned Grip contest, record event, or exhibition.

The record event or exhibition has to have been organised and presented to the BHSA as an event at least 14 days prior to the date.

Stew,

Here's the rules. All rules are on my site

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/bhsarules.html

One Hand Deadlift using an Olympic Bar (with a hook grip).

The bar may either be raised in front of the lifter, or the lifter may straddle the bar. Hook gripping is permitted. The free hand may be used to brace against the opposing leg. Foot spacing is optional, but may not change once the lift begins. Heels and toes may rise. The bar must be raised to a point where both ends of the bar are pulled to a height of mid knees or above and the legs must be straightened. The shoulders do not have to be pulled erect, nor the body straight as long as the legs are straight and the bar motionless with both ends above the knee joint. The lift ends with the referee's signal, and then you must lower the weight under control.

Hope this helps,

David

thanks guys

ill come down later on in the year an have a pop at a record or two then, i want to have another go at the inch an that at whey anyway, so since steves obviously already gonna be there, may as well have a bash - will organise with you ahead of time

David Horne

FORTHCOMING GRIP CONTESTS 2007

There Can Be Only One!

Long Bar Bending Challenge - Stewart Killick (Yateley) v David Horne (Stafford)

& Record Day. (Under aegis of BHSA)

Saturday 13 October, 2007

Venue: David Horne's Gym, Stafford

Start: 11 am

Entrance fee: £2.50

The two athletes will be bending 3/4" hrs round bars. The bars will be 44", 42", 40", 38" & 36". Stewart Killick is the current British Record holder in this event.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perth Grip Strength Challenge (Under aegis of BHSA)

Sunday 9 December, 2007

Venue: Unit 10, Lower Friarton, Friarton Rd, Perth, PH2 8DL

Start: 12 noon

Doors open: 10.30 am

Competition briefing: 11 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whey Consortium Power Challenge

Saturday Dec 22nd, 2007.

Venue; Whey Gym, Gloucester

As part an informal but pre-planned power and strength competition that those training at the Whey Consortium training camp here in Gloucester are holding I'm also offering a two handed pinch competition.

The power and strength section may include Terry Hollands (subject to his diary staying as is) doing a 400-kilo deadlift. Myself and Nick McKinless are hoping to bench 180-kilos, Laurence Shahlaei wants a 350-kilo deadlift and there are several other informal targets being set. So far we have 16 names down. Although not subject to any IPF etc refereeing the passing of said lifts will be strictly applied.

There is no entry fee and so no prizes but you MUST be a BHSA member to get any lift accepted for listing on the records. Non BHSA members can take part but they will not have their lifts recognized by or placed on the BHSA listings.

Usual two hand pinch rules apply and we will be using the approved Euro pinch and calibrated plates.

All lifters and attendees will be asked to place the usual £2.00 training fee in our jar - money raised thus is used to buy chalk and equipment etc for the not-for-profit gym part of the business.

David Horne

FORTHCOMING GRIP CONTESTS 2007

Swindon Grip Championships (Under aegis of BHSA)

Saturday 8 December, 2007

Venue:

Start:

1) Grippers - straphold for time

2) Pinch - selected weight for max reps in 75 secs

3) V-Bar - Last Man Standing, rising bar each round until only one competitor is left, either hand can be used.

4) One-Hand Lift - Max Weight, 3-4 attempts

5) Bending/Medley or whatever

All events would run to BHSA rules, except they would be for reps or time etc. More info to follow.

David Horne

Foreign Members

Our foreign members of the BHSA who were not born in the UK, and/or do not hold a British Passport, will still be able to compete in BHSA competitions (as most are 'Open' contests similar to tennis/golf anyway), and also break any All-Comers records if they do. But they cannot break any actual British Records as they are not British. This is the same as UK athletics.

A UK All-Comers record, is a record set at any BHSA event anywhere within Great Britain and Northern Ireland by athletes of any Nationality.

mobsterone

001 David Horne

002 Steve Gardener

003 Graeme Cunningham

004 Stewart Killick

005 Neil Belcher

006 Jose Jara

(Spain / International member)

007 Andy Christie

008 Michael Mackenzie

009 Nick Barcia

(USA / International member)

010 Paul Wood

011 Elizabeth Horne

012 Alex Horne

013 Alastair Christie

014 Alan Wyne

015 Mark Robinson

016 Peter Kerr

017 Mike Hadland

018 Brendan Dwyer

019 Mike Daly

020 Dave Johnson

021 Richard Scott

022 Graham Rowberry

023 Laine Snook

024 Paul Savage

025 Maxwell Thompson

Updated with a new member - Maximus (get in touch with your email and I'll send you the ebook). I've been that busy that it's taken me three days to update this. Spent close to 6 hours spotting and loading at a powerlifting competition today - me v hungry by the end.

Edited by mobsterone
Hubgeezer
007 Andy Christie

Double O Seven, Andy Christie, License to Kill. Shaken, not stirred. :cool

What a cool number to have within the organization...