2008 Ggc

bencrush

I know it's early to ask. But the earlier the better if people want to start training to hit the best numbers on contest day. Are the events going to be the same as this year? I think that 2HP, grippers, and reverse bending will be in the contest. RT?

I've got 3 strong guys that have already said they'd drive out to PA with me to the contest. I don't have a ton of time to train these days, otherwise I'd just do a little of everything, like I used to. But I've got to focus my efforts on whatever the events will be.

I'd like to see the 2008 GGC be the US Grip Championship. That means a lot more of us are going to have to step up and sign up and compete.

Thanks to the whole Diesel Crew.

Smitty and I haven't even talked about this yet, but you can bet that if we do bending it will be reverse, so that it will test wrist posturing. You won't see anything with a crush down.

Grippers will be in it.

Two hand adjustable pinch

I like rolling thunder for reps.

No max weight stuff like axle deadlift or anything because it takes too long.

I like medleys. The blob medley in 2006 was awesome, as was the video of the German medley this year. John B's sounds like it is going to be great.

Again, a 2008 GGC is not funded or planned yet, but I like running the contest. It is an extraordinary commitment of time and money, and we basically get nothing else done for the three months leading up to it, but my heart is in it anyway.

Ben and I have had some chats via PM in the last couple of weeks, but I have only seen Smitty one time in that period and we were too busy training with local high schoolers and Damien from the Gripboard to discuss anything about GGC.

I believe that we should put together and organizing body, set up a tournament of some sort, maybe some qualifyers, and do this thing right in 2008.

Smitty and I haven't even talked about this yet, but you can bet that if we do bending it will be reverse, so that it will test wrist posturing. You won't see anything with a crush down.

Grippers will be in it.

Two hand adjustable pinch

I like rolling thunder for reps.

No max weight stuff like axle deadlift or anything because it takes too long.

I like medleys. The blob medley in 2006 was awesome, as was the video of the German medley this year. John B's sounds like it is going to be great.

Again, a 2008 GGC is not funded or planned yet, but I like running the contest. It is an extraordinary commitment of time and money, and we basically get nothing else done for the three months leading up to it, but my heart is in it anyway.

Ben and I have had some chats via PM in the last couple of weeks, but I have only seen Smitty one time in that period and we were too busy training with local high schoolers and Damien from the Gripboard to discuss anything about GGC.

I believe that we should put together and organizing body, set up a tournament of some sort, maybe some qualifyers, and do this thing right in 2008.

I would rethink about the thickbar discipline. The Axle is a very classic grip discipline and should be tested more frequently (maximum weight). I really don't see the time problem here (raising bar).

Take a look at this year's GGC RT results. What did they tell us? Just that: Chad is stronger than Jedd on the RT, because he can do more reps with 80kg. But if you test the maximum strength, then you know how big the strength difference really is. Much more interesting in my opinion. With reps you will test Chad's endurance and other people max effort, two different things.

Edited by Florian Kellersmann

"I believe that we should put together and organizing body, set up a tournament of some sort, maybe some qualifyers, and do this thing right in 2008."

I agree!

"But if you test the maximum strength, then you know how big the strength difference really is. Much more interesting in my opinion. With reps you will test Chad's endurance and other people max effort, two different things."

also agree

I appreciate everyone's inputs.

If we can set it up that there are qualifying contests into GGC2008, I think that would work well.

Possibly the top 5 qualifiers get a ticket to GGC in any of the other comps; i.e. BBB, Michigan, NC, and so on...

With the current record keeping, it shouldn't be hard to identify the qualifying athletes.

We would definitely have Vbar and 2HP as they provide the athlete's with the opportunity to get on the records lists and these events are globally standardized.

As for:

Crush

Wrist

Support

we have the opportunity to get creative.

If there's ANYTHING I can do to help...let me know. Seriously.

Goody

It's cool to see this much interest in the GGC a full year out! I think Flo bring up good points, it would be fun to have the axle lift.

Jedd and Smitty-

Any organizational help or backing you need I will do my best. I would like to see the GGC as a definitive national championship also.

Along with Jedd, I like endurance events. They are fun.

Jedd, any chance of having DU instead of reverse? LOL. Doubt it but I'd have a better chance against the monsters that way. That bend I told you about getting kinked is now complete on video. Shortest of its kind I believe.

1. It is a little early to be putting pressure on The Boys.

2. Do what you want in events after you continue to observe what you like and don't like about your past contests and others you participate in.

3. My elbows hurt from doing bar dips a month ago. I will never enter a contest with bending in it. My elbows can't take much. By the same token, I bet there are guys who will never enter a contest that has fairly heavy lifts resembling a dead lift, as lots of guys have injured backs. You will never make everyone happy with the events.

4. The Sport is evolving. I have not seen it yet, but the latest MILO has an article on the British Grip Championships written by me. In it, I give a basic "Grip Contests 101" description. I say in it that there are more or less 3 standard events: Grippers, Two-Hand Pinch, and Vertical Bar. I wrote that in May. I swear in the last 30 days, there has been a movement to kill the Vertical Bar in contests. To say the Sport is "evolving" may be an understatement.

5. Pick a date first, and as for the events...6 months is probably plenty of notice. Three months is absolutley not enough.

Mike,

That was one of the best articles I ever read in MILO. I commend you for it, my friend. Excellent writing there.

Hub, have you tried reverse bending? I also have elbow problems, but I can go all out on reverse with no pain whatsoever. Also the crushdown makes my elbows feel like they're going to pop, it's nice that this is not an issue bending reverse to 40 degrees, which is the toughest part of the bend.

Possibly the top 5 qualifiers get a ticket to GGC in any of the other comps; i.e. BBB, Michigan, NC, and so on...

With the current record keeping, it shouldn't be hard to identify the qualifying athletes.

Granted I have not ever competed (that serious humbling will come though, I have some goals to reach first... like eradicate injuries) but I still wonder:

Would that be the top 5 for both the large hand and small hand? Not that I would give ANY competition to all you strong dudes, but I know that this would at least level the playing field for "we little folk". Just wondering... ~J

P.S. I really enjoyed all the great coverage from the GGC, it's exciting to see at the stats and stuff as I really follow this as "my sport" as some follow hockey games etc.

Jedd, just curious if you plan to use the C.C.S. for the grippers for all of your contest. i personally would love to see it go. also do you have to use all ironmind grippers? i would perfer the axle to the rolling thunder.

Jedd, just curious if you plan to use the C.C.S. for the grippers for all of your contest. i personally would love to see it go. also do you have to use all ironmind grippers? i would perfer the axle to the rolling thunder.

Feedback noted.

I agree with Hubgeezer - the date needs to come first. With the small number of contests offered nationwide so far - it might be nice if the promoters could establish dates in cooperation with each other now that people seem willing to travel to meets - especially at a regional level. A semi consistent spacing of contests throughout the year would be ideal of course. Scheduling time off often needs to be done far in advance, I certainly have events that I like better than others but if you have it I will come - no matter the events.

We'll get the spacing worked out better. I am flexible with my contest to between June and August (to fit Ryan's schedule). I just want to set a date for by by Jan/early Feb because that is when I get the vacation calender at work.