One-hand Deadlift - What Has Been Done?

lifesnotfair

Mark,

Yes it is a lot of pressure everywhere.

Here's the rules for a One Hand Deadlift, and a One Hand Lift. Obviously a One Hand Deadlift with a hook grip is exactly that.

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/bhsarules.html

There are 3 things that make lifting something with one hand harder.

1. Thickness of handle

2. Speed the bar rotates.

3. How near to the floor the handle/bar is.

So there you have it.

One Hand Lift (short range lift with a handle)

335k David Horne 28 July 2001 at British Champs. Stafford, England. (1" lift)

333k Herman Goerner 20 July 1920 Dresden, Germany (Block of sandsone with handle attached)

330k Steve Gardener 19 May 2007 at British Champs. Gloucester, England (2" lift)

320k Benny Wennberg 14 Aug 2004 at European Champs. Loddekopinge, Sweden (2" lift)

304.3k Willie Whoriskey 26 November 1983 Bloxwich, England (Celcon Solar Building Blocks with a handle)

303.5k Clive Lloyd 12 August 1983 London, England (Celcon Solar Building Blocks with a handle)

I'll do the other types of dealifts after dinner.

David

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• mobsterone

• lifesnotfair

• CoC#3

That 335k lift by David Horne is fantastic the pressure on the back must be immense.Im shooting for a 228k lift no hook using a farmers bar im upto 215k at the moment and my back is sore for days after

Mark

No one hook lifts a one hand lift - it'd take whatever skin you have right off.

Mark,

Yes it is a lot of pressure everywhere.

Here's the rules for a One Hand Deadlift, and a One Hand Lift. Obviously a One Hand Deadlift with a hook grip is exactly that.

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/bhsarules.html

There are 3 things that make lifting something with one hand harder.

1. Thickness of handle

2. Speed the bar rotates.

3. How near to the floor the handle/bar is.

So there you have it.

One Hand Lift (short range lift with a handle)

335k David Horne 28 July 2001 at British Champs. Stafford, England. (1" lift)

333k Herman Goerner 20 July 1920 Dresden, Germany (Block of sandsone with handle attached)

330k Steve Gardener 19 May 2007 at British Champs. Gloucester, England (2" lift)

320k Benny Wennberg 14 Aug 2004 at European Champs. Loddekopinge, Sweden (2" lift)

304.3k Willie Whoriskey 26 November 1983 Bloxwich, England (Celcon Solar Building Blocks with a handle)

303.5k Clive Lloyd 12 August 1983 London, England (Celcon Solar Building Blocks with a handle)

I'll do the other types of dealifts after dinner.

David

Cheers Dave. I think the photo of the 335 is one of mine but didn't recall the weight.

One Hand Deadlift using an Olympic bar (with a hook grip)

330k? Herman Goerner 8 October 1920 Leipzig, Germany. Unofficial lift. (used a Berg revolving bar) *

276.6k Steve Ekdal c.1970 New Jersey, USA. (did his deadlifts with the bar at the front of his body)

255.1k Frank Ciavattone 10 September 2005 USA. IAWA Rec

221k Nick McKinless 15 November 1997 IAWA One Hand Deadlift Challenge, Burton, England. IAWA Rec

221k Steve Angell 15 November 1997 IAWA One Hand Deadlift Challenge, Burton, England.

220k David Horne 31 December 1995 Stafford, England. IAWA Rec

205k Andy Tomlin 14 June 1997 at IAWA British Champs, Glasgow, Scotland.

204.1k Walt Cuzzimano 1950s at John Terlazzo Show, USA.

200k Bob Hirsh 15 October 1995 Ambridge, USA.

200k Steve Sherwood 18 August 1991. England. IAWA Rec.

One Hand Deadlift using an Olympic bar (with no hook grip)

151.3k Frank Ciavattone 1 October 2006 USA. IAWA Rec

150k Steve Gardener 24 February 2007 Supermatch. Gloucester, England.

135k David Horne 1 August 1997 Stafford, England.

125k Clive Nevis 31 October 2002 England. IAWA Rec

125k M Booth 31 October 2002 England. IAWA Rec

120k Steve Angell 6 October 2001 England. IAWA Rec

120k Jon Gardener 31 October 2001 England. IAWA Rec

120k Theo Burggraaff (Holl) 24 February 2007 Supermatch. Gloucester, England.

One Hand Deadlift (with a cambered bar)

226.7K Dan Bunnell 1996 USA. (used a Buffalo bar)

204.7k Frank Allen 1984 US v GB International England.

One Hand Deadlift - Don't know what kind of bar used

250.3k Arthur Dandurand Born 1889. French/Canadian.

249.4k Malcolm Brenner October 1947 USA.

226.7k Richard Sorin USA.

215.4k August W. Johnson Sweden.

* This lift was an unofficial lift. His best official lift was performed in England with Paul Getty and W.A. Pullum as witnesses to this world record attempt. In a very interesting article in the Health & Strength mag of Dec 5, 1957 Pullum tells the readers the story. On this occasion Goerner lifted 602 1/4lb (273.1k) and held it for several seconds for the famous weightlifting referee W.J. Lowry. Getty, the famous millionaire was so impressed with this feat he gave Goerner £25 in cash. Goerner was so struck by this gesture, he asked for another 50lb to be placed on the bar, so that Getty got value for his money. Goerner lifted this 652 1/4lb (295.8k) succesfully but as the referee was about to count the hold, the bar rolled out of his hand and took a large flap of skin with it. My opinion on Goerner's 330k is that he may have got it, or could have at least been close, as it needs a good grip, very strong back, and a good hook grip, in which Goerner had most of these. Regarding his 251.5k that he was meant to have done without a hook grip, well all I can say on the subject is that if he couldn't hold onto 295.8k with a hook grip, then no way is he lifting 251.5k without. Obviously the bar on the 251.5k lift did not revolve, or is a slightly cambered in which you wouldn't really need a hook grip. For this reason I don't include it in the list.

Hope you enjoy this,

David

Mr. Horne: you just made me feel very happy for starting this thread, thank you very much for that information.

It would seem that the "World Record" without a hook grip is going to be broken very soon, if this lift is included in more contests... I mean, mobster is 1.3 kilos away from it? (in competition, I know he has gym-lifted 160 as he said).

I still think that if Chris James does no-hook rack-pulls DO with 880lbs, he can absolutely DESTROY that current no-hook record of 151.3kg (333 lbs) using one hand, wouldn't you guys think so?

A rack pull can be a totally different animal. Firstly the bar can/is wedged against the thighs on many lifts. It's a lot better seeing a double overhand rack pull done with the weight bahind the back. Less likelyhood of any supporting from the thighs.

David

Mr. Horne: you just made me feel very happy for starting this thread, thank you very much for that information.

It would seem that the "World Record" without a hook grip is going to be broken very soon, if this lift is included in more contests... I mean, mobster is 1.3 kilos away from it? (in competition, I know he has gym-lifted 160 as he said).

I still think that if Chris James does no-hook rack-pulls DO with 880lbs, he can absolutely DESTROY that current no-hook record of 151.3kg (333 lbs) using one hand, wouldn't you guys think so?

We had not calibrated our plates at the time I did the 150-kilo in competition and since then we have. The same 20-kilo metal discs are all, bar one, over weight by an average of close 1-kilo. On that basis I'd guess that with a little training I could break it quite easily. David will also have some numbers on a thumbless grip one hand deadlift.

David, i have done a one hand deadlift of 180kilos in the gym with an old barbell, with no hook grip. Old barbell is important because it was bent and didn't roll like a new one would.

Edited by CoC#3

Not that I doubt you, but I'd like to see you do that. It's about time the UK Youngblood showed up, and I think you, and Pete, are it.

Not that I doubt you, but I'd like to see you do that. It's about time the UK Youngblood showed up, and I think you, and Pete, are it.

We have a bent / cambered bar in our yard.

Havent followed this completly, but I want to thank David for the effort he put into his posts.

On that note, the thing that impresses me the most is Goerner.... Absolutly amazing the lifts he managed during the time he was alive. Its not a definite, but I think if he was developing during these times and saw all the new ideas, methods and emphasis put on this kind of stuff he would be pulling even bigger numbers!

We have a bent / cambered bar in our yard.

I'll have a pull on Friday - hopefully viper can make it to ther whey aswell if not it'll be just me.

Haha.

Then you'll have to do. :tongue

Remember both ends of the bar above his knees, with his legs locked, and in control for the down signal.

Good lad.

David

Flo,

Thanks for this info from the euros - I will put this on my site.

I saw your post about the one hand deadlift with Oly bar (no hook grip).

I just want to give you some more data:

Martin Arildson 130k (euro 2006)

Florian Kellersmann 130k (euro 2006)

Martin Ressel 125k (euro 2006)

An Ivanko OBX20 PL bar was used.

Looking forward to giving this a go.

Is there anything else anyone would like to see me attempt/do on Friday when i will have access to credible witnesses and video?

What about Jon Pall Sigmarsson's one handed 551? I remeber seeing a pic of it in the old Strength Athlete magazine some time back. Was that a credible lift? Amazing if it was.

Edited by thearm95

Jon Pall was certainly capable of it. I have all the Strength Athlete mags but don't remember this picture. Can you remember the copy?

David

YouTube has (or had) footage of Sigmarrson doing a monster one-hand deadlift - if memory serves it is a proper one hand deadlift on an oly bar, bar in front of body, do not remember if the face value of the plates represented the claimed weight..

Edited by The Mac

Jon Pall was certainly capable of it. I have all the Strength Athlete mags but don't remember this picture. Can you remember the copy?

David

David, I thought it was Strength Athlete but I may be mistaken, it was a long time ago, (early 90s). If it wasn't Strength Athlete it was most likely PL USA, as they were the two mags I used to collect at the time when there was one shop down here that sold them.

(seen the youtube vid too, hard to tell what the plates are, but yeah, I'd believe it)

btw Strength Athlete was a great mag, unfortunately I've lost my collection in so many moves.