One-hand Deadlift - What Has Been Done?

lifesnotfair

Hello folks. Sorry for starting two different threads in such a short period of time, hope it doesn't make me look very troll-ish.

Recently I found an old thread about one handed deadlifts, from around 2004. In it, people were asking what a good lift was (I think it was started by CoC Matt Van Weely). While some fella were talking about lifting 200-some pounds, Chris James jumped in the conversaion and said he had doine 540lbs, and he had one hand cleaned something like 275lbs. (This is from memory, I could be wrong, but if I am, it's not by much). I then immediately remembered in Mr. James's log a few months ago, he reported having done 270kg on a PARTIAL deadlift, but on a barbell again.

I google'd this up and found that a guy called Frank Ciavattone Jr. did 562, but then stated had a very sore thumb, which indicates he used a hook grip. This was posted in another forum, where some gripboard members also replied (like mobster and terminator). Terminator said he had seen someone do around 500lbs, but on a Farmer's implement, which makes the ROM shorter. While discussing this with some fellas, it was explained to me that a Farmer's Walk impletement makes not only the ROM shorter, but the lift WAY easier, since that apparatus wont rotate, while a regular barbell will try to roll out of your hand. Makes a lot of sense now that I think of it.

Now, talking about the present day: just last month there was a contest, a grip contest, with some very strong fellas in it. Acorn, Jad, Jedd, RKlein (sp?), etc... and the winning lift was like 300lbs? ... I am not who has earned the right to doubt others and demand proof, as I'm as strong as some 8-year olds. But I have to say that Chris James doing close to 600lb on a barbell without a hook, is kinda out of this world. More so, even Ciavattone's 562 with a hook was impressive enough to be mentioned in here: http://home.comcast.net/~daleharder/page2.html (notice a few gripboard members mentioned in here!! Nice article). I tend to be pretty positive about this issues and believe people, so I obviously believe Chris James has done this, and I can only say that his supporting grip is just astonishing. I mean, try to compare the best gripper closer to the rest... the rest is not far behind. Maybe a #4 closer is the best, but there are guys closing BBSE, #3.5, etc.... But a guy doing that type of one-hand deadlifts, and the rest of the grip guys doing barely HALF the weight? I'm sorry, but it would almost seem to me that it's more impressive than a BBPro close. So, Chris James is THE MAN!! :rock :rock

So, what can you do? I kinda like this lift and will give it a try as soon as my barbell and plates arrive (ordered them recently). I'm only hoping for 135 to begin with. :cool

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• mobsterone

• lifesnotfair

• CoC#3

With a hook I've done 189-kilos / 416lbs at the 2006 British. I did 130?? thumbless and did 3 x 1 with 160-kilos (it was a mis-load) thumb over before the challenge match where I did 150-kilos / 330lbs.

Guest Bonzi
Hello folks. Sorry for starting two different threads in such a short period of time, hope it doesn't make me look very troll-ish.

Recently I found an old thread about one handed deadlifts, from around 2004. In it, people were asking what a good lift was (I think it was started by CoC Matt Van Weely). While some fella were talking about lifting 200-some pounds, Chris James jumped in the conversaion and said he had doine 540lbs, and he had one hand cleaned something like 275lbs. (This is from memory, I could be wrong, but if I am, it's not by much). I then immediately remembered in Mr. James's log a few months ago, he reported having done 270kg on a PARTIAL deadlift, but on a barbell again.

I google'd this up and found that a guy called Frank Ciavattone Jr. did 562, but then stated had a very sore thumb, which indicates he used a hook grip. This was posted in another forum, where some gripboard members also replied (like mobster and terminator). Terminator said he had seen someone do around 500lbs, but on a Farmer's implement, which makes the ROM shorter. While discussing this with some fellas, it was explained to me that a Farmer's Walk impletement makes not only the ROM shorter, but the lift WAY easier, since that apparatus wont rotate, while a regular barbell will try to roll out of your hand. Makes a lot of sense now that I think of it.

Now, talking about the present day: just last month there was a contest, a grip contest, with some very strong fellas in it. Acorn, Jad, Jedd, RKlein (sp?), etc... and the winning lift was like 300lbs? ... I am not who has earned the right to doubt others and demand proof, as I'm as strong as some 8-year olds. But I have to say that Chris James doing close to 600lb on a barbell without a hook, is kinda out of this world. More so, even Ciavattone's 562 with a hook was impressive enough to be mentioned in here: http://home.comcast.net/~daleharder/page2.html (notice a few gripboard members mentioned in here!! Nice article). I tend to be pretty positive about this issues and believe people, so I obviously believe Chris James has done this, and I can only say that his supporting grip is just astonishing. I mean, try to compare the best gripper closer to the rest... the rest is not far behind. Maybe a #4 closer is the best, but there are guys closing BBSE, #3.5, etc.... But a guy doing that type of one-hand deadlifts, and the rest of the grip guys doing barely HALF the weight? I'm sorry, but it would almost seem to me that it's more impressive than a BBPro close. So, Chris James is THE MAN!! :rock :rock

So, what can you do? I kinda like this lift and will give it a try as soon as my barbell and plates arrive (ordered them recently). I'm only hoping for 135 to begin with. :cool

Nice thought, but the issue of dumbbell width will come up, but it is a good starting point.

This feat depends on the barbell used. A brand new freely spinning barbell will be harder than an old barbell bent from years of use. On a new barbell which rotates freely, 220+ is impressive.

To compare one hand lifts, you must know "exactly" how the lift was done and the equipment used. There is sometimes confusion between a one hand dead lift on a barbell and on a handle (a one hand lift), hook or no hook, full lift or partial ROM - questions on how free spinning the bar was, was it a bent or cambered bar - etc etc etc. Suitcase style, between the legs, in front of legs and on and on. All this stuff can make a huge difference in the numbers - just be sure you are comparing apples to apples is all.

Bonzi and climber511: the issue of thickness wont come up, because I'm talking a regular BARBELL DEADLIFT. No dumbells, no handles for the one-hand-lift, just what most people seem to know as an "oly bar". And yes, we must specify if it was a "lockout" or a complete deadlift. Like I said, Chris James said in a 2004 post he has deadlifted 540lbs, and in his log, a few months ago, he said he did 270kg (594lb) but lifted from knee height (NOT full ROM). I think those lifts are no hook?? Correct me if I'm wrong.

If mobster's 150kg in the Supermatch vs. Theo was done without a hook, that's a mighty impressive lift! .. but again, I find myself calling that mighty impressive when another GB member is nearly doubling that? :whacked

Are you sure Chris James' numbers were on a barbell and not a one hand DL handle? I know Chris is amazing but it seems weird that he can double the other elite people in this lift.

I'm gonna have to find the quote for you:

Monday April 16th 2007

Bench press 2" bar .... 60k x 8, 100k x 8 , 140k x 8, 180k x 8 x 2 sets.First time in about 2 years that i've benched and my chest is sore already !!!

Close grip bench 2" bar ... Thumbs touching .. 140k x 8 x 3 sets

Clean and press d/bells .. 100's x 10 x 3 sets , 120's x 10 x 2 sets

One hand deadlift olympic bar just below knee height... 200k x 3 , 240k, 260k , 270k, 270k , 270k.

The guy sounds beastly, that bench comment actually had me laughing, jeez... first bench in 2 years, 180kgx8 ... some people struggle all their lives to make a single with that weight, and don't accomplish it. I wont quote it, but later in that log of his he posts a DO, NO HOOK, 2 hand deadlift FROM KNEES, on an oly bar, (to get all facts straight), of 400kg.

David Horne owns the title of the best one hand lift @335kg or 737 pounds. Best one hand deadlift with a barbell has most likely been done by Chris James or an old timer like Goerner. I would imagine Chris to be capable of lifting 400+ pounds at least in this lift?

Edited by Wes

Im suprised Clay Edgin hasent been mentioned? Personally I belive hes either right up in the top 5 for sure, if not the best in support grip strength IMO. I know hes posted some videos that were either 500+ or 600+ on the OHL, plus I saw a vid of him taking 420lb farmers for 50 feet. Yikes!

Wes and Kurt Lane:

Guys, you're both mentioning different lifts. Like I said, I didn't know this at first, but it was brought to my attention through private conversations, that the "ONE HAND LIFT", is not the same as the "ONE HAND DEADLIFT ON A BARBELL", which is also not the same as the "ONE HAND DEADLIFT ON A FARMER'S WALK IMPLEMENT". I know there are some guys lifting huge weights on the FW implements and actually walking with them!!! Huge weights too!! And Horne's lift was probably using that handle used for the one hand lift, which also will NOT try to roll out of the hand. I intended to discuss only the barbell version, which is harder than a handle or a FW apparatus. :) :)

I have done 255lbs from the floor to full lockout with the barbell in front of me with my right hand, no hook. Never got to 275lbs =/

IMO 400-500lb one hand barbell deadlift with no hook grip is really out of this world and almost impossible/improbable. That would mean his Double overhand with two hands would be at least 750-900lbs which is ridiculous.

Are you sure Chris James' numbers were on a barbell and not a one hand DL handle? I know Chris is amazing but it seems weird that he can double the other elite people in this lift.

Chris is definately a strength freak, but I'd tend to agree here. Maybe Chris can set us straight.

David Horne owns the title of the best one hand lift @335kg or 737 pounds. Best one hand deadlift with a barbell has most likely been done by Chris James or an old timer like Goerner. I would imagine Chris to be capable of lifting 400+ pounds at least in this lift?

Err to the best of my knowledge I do - not David. I did 330-kilos right handed (that's 727lbs) and 300-kilos left handed (660lbs) in the one hand lift for a new unofficial wold record and world record total - video of 330kilos here:

But it isn't a one hand deadlift. And as per my post above I did 189-kilos or well over 400 using a hooked grip on a barbell and from the floor. There is a video of my 150-kilo thumb over competition lift included here:

Both David and or Chris's lifts are/were gym lifts as was my 3 x 1 with 160-kilo thumb over.

Chris is definately a strength freak, but I'd tend to agree here. Maybe Chris can set us straight.

He does state 'from below knee height' people.

Just my comment: I can do 100 kg on a weightlifting bar with a regular grip on a good day. Then, with a hook grip I've done 160 kg, and that was only limited by not being able to straighten my torso with that much weight in one hand, not by my grip failing (I wanted a "full deadlift", not just the weight off the floor). The help one gets from hooking is beyond ridiculous.

Err to the best of my knowledge I do - not David. I did 330-kilos right handed (that's 727lbs) and 300-kilos left handed (660lbs) in the one hand lift for a new unofficial wold record and world record total - video of 330kilos here:

But it isn't a one hand deadlift. And as per my post above I did 189-kilos or well over 400 using a hooked grip on a barbell and from the floor. There is a video of my 150-kilo thumb over competition lift included here:

Both David and or Chris's lifts are/were gym lifts as was my 3 x 1 with 160-kilo thumb over.

He does state 'from below knee height' people.

Steve,

I believe David still holds the absolute record with 335kg - your great lifts (330 + 300) were records one hand/two hand done in a two-handed comp I believe

There is a video of my 150-kilo thumb over competition lift included here:

I just saw your left handed lift in the video, which isn't a 150kg lift, I think.

Everything over 130kg with a free rotating bar is definately a good lift, IMO. In the euros 2006 we use a Ivanko OBX20 PL bar with IPF license; 130kg were the best lifts there.

Steve's 150kg in comp and 160kg in gym are definately world class lifts, IMO. Chris numbers are out of this world and hard to believe. Good thread though...

Ahh that's correct. The left handed was less it was the right which was 150-kilos.

Wes and Kurt Lane:

Guys, you're both mentioning different lifts. Like I said, I didn't know this at first, but it was brought to my attention through private conversations, that the "ONE HAND LIFT", is not the same as the "ONE HAND DEADLIFT ON A BARBELL", which is also not the same as the "ONE HAND DEADLIFT ON A FARMER'S WALK IMPLEMENT". I know there are some guys lifting huge weights on the FW implements and actually walking with them!!! Huge weights too!! And Horne's lift was probably using that handle used for the one hand lift, which also will NOT try to roll out of the hand. I intended to discuss only the barbell version, which is harder than a handle or a FW apparatus. :) :)

Hence I made the distinction by mentioning the one hand lift and one hand barbell deadlift seperately.. I just threw David's amazing lift in there for those that might be interested in a similar lift

Here's a picture of the 335kg lift. To anyone who might know, was this one of the old Iron Grip contests?

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album01/aaq

Edited by Wes

I have done 255lbs from the floor to full lockout with the barbell in front of me with my right hand, no hook. Never got to 275lbs =/

IMO 400-500lb one hand barbell deadlift with no hook grip is really out of this world and almost impossible/improbable. That would mean his Double overhand with two hands would be at least 750-900lbs which is ridiculous.

Chrisx9118: in regards to what I've highlighted in bold in your post: I mentioned that in his log (and you can find this), a few months back, he mentiones a 400kg (880lbs) DO, no hook, on a barbell, two-hands pull from the knees. Yes, it sounds ridiculous, that's why I'm starting to think he's got the strongest grip ever... noone is so far above others in crush or pinch, but in supporting grip Chris seems to be in a whole different league, that's why I started this thread.

Wes: thanks for the pic, but that's why so many people get things mixed up, look at how the text under the pictures says "David Horne one-hand deadlifting 335kg" .. heh, he's not doing that. :tongue

Edited by lifesnotfair

That 335k lift by David Horne is fantastic the pressure on the back must be immense.Im shooting for a 228k lift no hook using a farmers bar im upto 215k at the moment and my back is sore for days after

Mark