Who Will Be The First To Ccs A #4?

pdfk20

CCS the no.4  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the first person to CCS a #4?

• Tex Henderson
    • Wes Peart
    • Chad Woodall
    • Kevin Bussi
    • Sam Solomi
    • Steve Gardener
    • Martin Arildsson
    • Other - please state

It doesn't have to - we are talking about the CCS and, as the point has been made, I don't think I've ever seen a #3 or higher repped from that postion.

SUch vids may be out there, I admit I don't spend all of my time watching gripper vids mainly because the quality of them is soften very poor.

Edited by The Mac

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• The Mac

• Wes

• pdfk20

You did notice my reply was in response to a ''I wonder if Oldguy considers these reps as "valid", since he obviously doesn't think parallel reps are reps at all'' and that the topic title does include CCS in it??

Although we can all go off topic from time to time we have seen various posts include a phrase something like 'I have a video of my closing a 3 for reps' or similar but those that have looked say such videos show the grippers not being opened that far or even close to it.

You know where I am at when it comes to grippers and I do not set a gripper to parallel then shut it and allow it to open to parallel and repeat for reps and claim that I can rep a CCS 3 or 4. If it is that close it takes me more effort to set it up than it does to close it from there. Esp a 3.

So if the topic title includes CCS then parallel closes will not be seen as valid.

I definitely understand your view on reps but I don't understand your where you get that last sentence. The people who were talking about the parallel 3 repping were using it as a reference of strength, if you don't consider parallel reps as reps that's fine, but it doesn't mean they are to not be seen as valid reps at all because there are no set of rules stating that.

Again not in a topic with CCS in its title, obviously not by Oldguy (cos he says as much), not by IM (cos of their rules). I'm pretty clear in another thread as to why (it wont work certain areas of strength that people picked up grippers for in the first place) and yes there ARE rules re setting of grippers.

CCS and MMS are are accepted short hand for how grippers might be set and closed. Everyone understands where they came from and the rules therein. Parallel and 20mm setting are established settings for competition. On that basis alone we can see that there is rules for how a gripper might be shut. I referred to the title as the reference to stick with in this topic.

Finally when a topic title refers to how a gripper might be close using a CCS - credit card set - and posts refer to videos of grippers being closed and it is pointed out that the majority show anything but a CCS then we can see clearly that they will not be counted in a topic on CCS of a CoC 4 and even, as discussed, a CoC 3. If it was a reps with a 3 topic and setting had not been discussed then perhaps you would have some validity to your view. That's without anyone disagreeing that say Tommy doing 15 reps with a wide or close to CCS setting is not as good as someone doing 15 reps with a parallel set. He's obviously better by some margin - all things being equal and Tommy is a small handed lightweight guy so by a huge margin.

The emphasis MUST be on CCS for discussion and comparison to be valid. If I post (as others have done) that 'I can do 15 reps and here's the video) and when you check they aren't CCS then where is the means to measure them against a similar statement by someone else 'I have a video of my doing 10 reps' and when viewed it shows that they are all CCS style? I think no one agrees that MMS or closer are equally comparable to the same number when done in CCS style.

Come the time when anyone listed or not decides to try out for a CCS on a 4 with Randall or his selected and trusted witness arguing semantics over 'I thought I'd be ok with loads of parallel reps in training yet I failed today' will get you no where fast. Most agree that there might be some use for close sets are part of their training (working the close for example) but that at least a few repped attempts every so often would need to be CCS style. So you and I can do a million parallel set reps from now until doomsday but come the time to put up and we'll be screwed.

You did notice my reply was in response to a ''I wonder if Oldguy considers these reps as "valid", since he obviously doesn't think parallel reps are reps at all'' and that the topic title does include CCS in it??

Although we can all go off topic from time to time we have seen various posts include a phrase something like 'I have a video of my closing a 3 for reps' or similar but those that have looked say such videos show the grippers not being opened that far or even close to it.

You know where I am at when it comes to grippers and I do not set a gripper to parallel then shut it and allow it to open to parallel and repeat for reps and claim that I can rep a CCS 3 or 4. If it is that close it takes me more effort to set it up than it does to close it from there. Esp a 3.

So if the topic title includes CCS then parallel closes will not be seen as valid.

I definitely understand your view on reps but I don't understand your where you get that last sentence. The people who were talking about the parallel 3 repping were using it as a reference of strength, if you don't consider parallel reps as reps that's fine, but it doesn't mean they are to not be seen as valid reps at all because there are no set of rules stating that.

Again not in a topic with CCS in its title, obviously not by Oldguy (cos he says as much), not by IM (cos of their rules). I'm pretty clear in another thread as to why (it wont work certain areas of strength that people picked up grippers for in the first place) and yes there ARE rules re setting of grippers.

CCS and MMS are are accepted short hand for how grippers might be set and closed. Everyone understands where they came from and the rules therein. Parallel and 20mm setting are established settings for competition. On that basis alone we can see that there is rules for how a gripper might be shut. I referred to the title as the reference to stick with in this topic.

Finally when a topic title refers to how a gripper might be close using a CCS - credit card set - and posts refer to videos of grippers being closed and it is pointed out that the majority show anything but a CCS then we can see clearly that they will not be counted in a topic on CCS of a CoC 4 and even, as discussed, a CoC 3. If it was a reps with a 3 topic and setting had not been discussed then perhaps you would have some validity to your view. That's without anyone disagreeing that say Tommy doing 15 reps with a wide or close to CCS setting is not as good as someone doing 15 reps with a parallel set. He's obviously better by some margin - all things being equal and Tommy is a small handed lightweight guy so by a huge margin.

The emphasis MUST be on CCS for discussion and comparison to be valid. If I post (as others have done) that 'I can do 15 reps and here's the video) and when you check they aren't CCS then where is the means to measure them against a similar statement by someone else 'I have a video of my doing 10 reps' and when viewed it shows that they are all CCS style? I think no one agrees that MMS or closer are equally comparable to the same number when done in CCS style.

Come the time when anyone listed or not decides to try out for a CCS on a 4 with Randall or his selected and trusted witness arguing semantics over 'I thought I'd be ok with loads of parallel reps in training yet I failed today' will get you no where fast. Most agree that there might be some use for close sets are part of their training (working the close for example) but that at least a few repped attempts every so often would need to be CCS style. So you and I can do a million parallel set reps from now until doomsday but come the time to put up and we'll be screwed.

This is why I mentioned that they were just using it as a reference of strength, and there are no rules that state one must have performed a certain type of rep for them to be considered “valid” when all you are doing is showing how strong you are. A “rep” on CoC does not have a universal meaning anyway. I would agree that in some places a certain rep might not be considered "valid", but certainly not in the context used in this topic.

Of course they MMS or closer reps are not equally comparable to the same number when done in CCS style. But many have said that MMS training has increased their CCS and No set strengths, so I would say we have at least a small idea of how to compare them.

While I 100% disagree with the first paragraph by what percentage are they comparable in the second? In other words if one does 10 MMS or closer how many CCS reps does that equal? Do not forget that for some it will equal not even one.

While I 100% disagree with the first paragraph by what percentage are they comparable in the second? In other words if one does 10 MMS or closer how many CCS reps does that equal? Do not forget that for some it will equal not even one.

I no that was a rhetorical question but it took me doing 18 MMS closes on my #2 before I could CCS or NS it. CCS and NS is basically the same for me. But to be fair I never trained anything but MMS so it took me a bit of getting used to the wider stuff. I cant rep my #2 when doing CCS(Because gripper slips...) but I can do 6-8 CCS singles in a row but am now unable to do 18 MMS closes on my #2.

Bottom line is train every different type of set and you will be good to go.

I no that was a rhetorical question but it took me doing 18 MMS closes on my #2 before I could CCS or NS it. CCS and NS is basically the same for me. But to be fair I never trained anything but MMS so it took me a bit of getting used to the wider stuff. I cant rep my #2 when doing CCS(Because gripper slips...) but I can do 6-8 CCS singles in a row but am now unable to do 18 MMS closes on my #2.

Bottom line is train every different type of set and you will be good to go.

I ran across an old post of mine a while back. At that time I could do 2 paralell reps on a #3 and I could CCS it. Just goes to show how everyone is different

I never said they were comparable by a specific percentage, I just meant that they were comparable at least somewhat which is equal to a degree that's relevant enough. Muscular endurance is different for everyone, yet you are not saying it's invalid for using it to show how they might be the first to CCS a #4. If one does 20 CCS reps on the #3 does that equal 1 CCS rep of the #4?

I never said they were comparable by a specific percentage, I just meant that they were comparable at least somewhat which is equal to a degree that's relevant enough. Muscular endurance is different for everyone, yet you are not saying it's invalid for using it to show how they might be the first to CCS a #4. If one does 20 CCS reps on the #3 does that equal 1 CCS rep of the #4?

I think the point is that it seems a trifle pre-emptive to talk about CCS closes of the #4 wwhen there are so few CCS closes of the #3...

I think the point is that it seems a trifle pre-emptive to talk about CCS closes of the #4 wwhen there are so few CCS closes of the #3...

Agree - and, if there is somebody closing in, he better get his butt to a major competition to do it (I would). Heck, I'm close enought to IM that I'd make arrangements to have Randy Strossen witness it himself.

If one does 20 CCS reps on the #3 does that equal 1 CCS rep of the #4?

If one does 20 reps of 225 on the bench, does that equal 1 rep of 293? Maybe? :online

Well, all I was debating with was where he said “Not in a topic with CCS in the title they aren’t”, and the further points he responded to me with.

If one does 20 CCS reps on the #3 does that equal 1 CCS rep of the #4?

If one does 20 reps of 225 on the bench, does that equal 1 rep of 293? Maybe? :online

It depends on how you train/your genetics/etc., but regardless you can make SOME kind of estimate, maybe not a perfect one but if you know enough about the factors you can make a decent one.

first is because i want to use them, im not looking to train my grip when im deadlifting, im training my deadlift,

If your grip was already trained tyo a high standard lifting 180-kilos would not be considered 'training your grip'.

i want to train my grip when i train my grip, second is because i cant hold on to my top weights on rack pulls double overhand (especially without chalk)

Then it's not as good as the lifts you've claimed would have you think it is. Include such pulls in your seperate grip training.

an i dont like using hook grip as i feel it puts too much stress on my thumbs

Most people don't hook grip deadlifts and it is painful.

i dont like doing mixed grip as its easy to tear a bicep

No it's not. Tell me, of the thousands of people who deadlift that have torn a bicep. It'll be less than 1% and so 'not easy'.

, an third reason is because i simply cant recover from it all >i use my grip all the time, in my training, my job, and my daily life - all the contrast baths in the world make no difference without rest, anthe skin on my hand does not recover either, it ends up cutting easily an bruising up pretty bad.

Check my log for my patented 'how to space out the training over more than a week' system.

i never said anything about not being able to hold onto 180kg.

No one has said you can't. But straps??

My phone that i take vids with has been playing up for a while now, ill have it replaced somewhen an get some new vids up.

There (and this doesn't just apply to you) is always an excuse.

180kg x 8 DO without chalk would definately train my grip, so ok, my grips not of a high standard then, ill make sure it is in the future. I have read through your entire log an have learnt from it, but the way i currently train is the way i plan on keeping it, its gave me the best results, an results are what matter. Thanks for you're post.