Big Tex Vs The #4

1stCoC

Had Tex even touched a no.4 before going for the cert i wonder?

Sorin said that a lifter/strongman that trains at his gym said "oh yeah I gave him a #4 to train with a while ago." Which is why im supprised he had no technique at all. I found out pretty quickly where the gripper needed to be in my hand to get it where im comfortable.

Anyways best of luck to "Tex". If this is something he wants I hope he trains hard for it and gets it next time.

Edited by PowerHouse

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cannon

• lifesnotfair

• pdfk20

• MalachiMcMullen

What an anti-climax. 3/4'' from closing a #4 is not even close.

Yep. Even the 'massive' forearm on someone weighing over 400lbs was a let down. Mine are 16 at a lot less bodyweight (275). I'm guessing from what was said that he didn't actually do any proper training for it at all. That said Tex himself seems to have made no claims directly.

3/4" is damnned impressive! Just because everyone had psyched themselves up for the first out-of-the-package, cc set #4 close, doesn't detract from the fact that this was an awesome feat of grip strength. If it is so mundane, why aren't there dozens of videos of people doing it on youtube?

Because not everyone is obsessed with being on youtube or videoing everyone of their workouts. We can watch guys moving weights 3-inches and calling it a squat though - all day long. I don't weigh 400+ and I can do a lot better than this. Send him to me and I'll train him up. :shifty

tbh i was a little bit dissapointed as well, there was a lot of hype about this and rightfully so, the first guy to do a #4 CCS will be huge, and to hear he only got to 3/4" is a shame.I know it will only be a matter of time before someone does do it though - there are a quite a few guys currently around the no.4 level - Sam, Kevin, Chad, Steve, Wes.

Wes is my pick to do it. He just turned 18, he has CCS'ed a #3.5, CCS certed on both hands, and one has to assume he hasn't reached his peak yet. I only fear he loses motivation.

And btw, stop bashing this Tex guy, if he ever becomes a member, he WILL be kinda upset at people... I mean, first his huge miss was a "let down", but now you have people saying even his forearm size is a disapointment as well?

Come on, at least what he did with the #3 was mighty impressive, maybe he thought he could do it with a #4 with a big effort, not knowing there is a world of difference. I say give him a few months, maybe now he'll start training for it?

Edited by lifesnotfair

Perhaps I should critique those who made Tex out to be something special when, as I said, he himself has done no such thing. Tex hasn't made no claims about his forearm and I said as much before nor, from what I have seen, did he make a deal on the 4. GB members did.

But it was those same GB members getting all excited over what has become a none event. Kaz had an 18 forearm at 320 as opposed to a 17 inch forearm at 400+

3/4" is damnned impressive! Just because everyone had psyched themselves up for the first out-of-the-package, cc set #4 close, doesn't detract from the fact that this was an awesome feat of grip strength. If it is so mundane, why aren't there dozens of videos of people doing it on youtube?

Because not everyone is obsessed with being on youtube or videoing everyone of their workouts. We can watch guys moving weights 3-inches and calling it a squat though - all day long. I don't weigh 400+ and I can do a lot better than this. Send him to me and I'll train him up. :shifty

I hate to break this to you, Steve, but you can do it because your grip strength is damned impressive! You're just a shy, retiring violet that hides his light under a bushel.

One guy's forearm that really impresses me (among strong people, not budybuilders or anything) is that of an armwrestler called Guy Lasorsa. He won one or two world championships back in 86 or so, he must be 50 nowdays.. recently he's been heavier (like 230lbs or whatever?) and his forearm is 16-1/4, but he said it used to be 16-3/4" (I can believe it, only half an inch more than nowdays at 50 years old), and he was barely over 200lbs at that point of his career I think. Sorry if this is off topic, but so is Kaz's and Steve's forearms :tongue , so I thought I'd mention it.

I hope you realize that is with a snug tape and forearm held straight not bent into a crook. Chad Woodall with his tremendous grip power had a straight measure of 14" that same day weighing 275 so, 17 1/8" is really, really big. Tex is a huge man but, from my view measuring his forearm it was solid as a rock. FYI his bicep "flexed" was 22 2/4".RS

Correction ..that Tex bicep measure is 22 3/4"RS

Guest Bonzi
I hope you realize that is with a snug tape and forearm held straight not bent into a crook. Chad Woodall with his tremendous grip power had a straight measure of 14" that same day weighing 275 so, 17 1/8" is really, really big. Tex is a huge man but, from my view measuring his forearm it was solid as a rock. FYI his bicep "flexed" was 22 2/4".RS

Don't mean to be a burr in the sadle, but what is his BMI?

Don't mean to be a burr in the sadle, but what is his BMI?

BMI means nothing. Height vs. Weight doesn't take bone structure or muscle mass into account. :online

BMI doesn't mean a lot to those who lift regularly. It is desgined for sedentary individuals.

One guy's forearm that really impresses me (among strong people, not budybuilders or anything) is that of an armwrestler called Guy Lasorsa. He won one or two world championships back in 86 or so, he must be 50 nowdays.. recently he's been heavier (like 230lbs or whatever?) and his forearm is 16-1/4, but he said it used to be 16-3/4" (I can believe it, only half an inch more than nowdays at 50 years old), and he was barely over 200lbs at that point of his career I think. Sorry if this is off topic, but so is Kaz's and Steve's forearms :tongue , so I thought I'd mention it.

Mines like 16 1/2".......Is that arm straight out or what?

Sorry off topic again.......

I would like to see a pic of big Tex I don't even know who he is or what he looks like.

Big Tex #3 Cert Edited by GetAGrip87

Big Tex #3 Cert

Thanks for the pic...... :mosher

http://74.205.126.46/ironcms/newsarchive.p...ubmit=More+News

just reading a bit about Tex on the ironmind site, and then came across this quote,

"Let’s be frank here: Just as not everyone can run the 100 in under 10 seconds or deadlift 800 pounds, not everyone - no matter how hard or smart they train - has the gifts required to close a No. 3 Captains of Crush Gripper and this is even more true of the No. 4 Captains of Crush Gripper."

shall i give up all hope on that number 3? :unsure

Never!

Thanks!

It's ashame really that a company like IM who are always pushing limits etc etc with their equipment and attitude towards strength training, would say something like this :(

Keep on pushing Dimmers. But I totally agree with the quote that not everyone has what it takes to CCS close the #3. That is just a fact that a lot of guys will find to be true along the way. That doesn't mean they should quit training. It just raises the bar.

Keep on pushing Dimmers. But I totally agree with the quote that not everyone has what it takes to CCS close the #3. That is just a fact that a lot of guys will find to be true along the way. That doesn't mean they should quit training. It just raises the bar.

Totally agree.

just reading a bit about Tex on the ironmind site, and then came across this quote,

"Let’s be frank here: Just as not everyone can run the 100 in under 10 seconds or deadlift 800 pounds, not everyone - no matter how hard or smart they train - has the gifts required to close a No. 3 Captains of Crush Gripper and this is even more true of the No. 4 Captains of Crush Gripper."

Especially since he changed the rules :whistel

Especially since he changed the rules :whistel

Indeed.

I think the limiting factor is always mental never physical if you are healthy......

shall i give up all hope on that number 3? :unsure

No. You are a CERTIFIED BASTARD, damnit, and you do have the talent to close a Number 3. Not everyone does, but YOU DO.

If a guy like me can do it, certainly a CERTIFIED BASTARD can. Keep plugging!