Steel Bending Standards

timiacobucci

As AP says it is expensive i did once bend a 10mms piece for the blokes were i get my stock from for a bet as i had just bent a Piece of Dunksters 10mms stainless and the blokes were asking me what i had been upto anyway long story short i was put on the spot by a few none believers so out came the wraps the steel was cut and gazza got down to business :D ended up with a metre length of 12.7mms stainless for my troubles and have played around with this abit before my injury.

I think Rebar would be ideal for training with to get the big stailness as its quite cheap just have to watch the rebound as its quite springy atleast the stuff i bent is.

Tim great info in your posts as usual much appreciated.

Gazza,

I have some #4 rebar and like you say it is way springy. Definately has it's own feel. I almost forgot that I had it; maybe I should cut some shorter pieces of that and try it.

All in all though I still think you have to be very careful with the springy stuff in the longer lengths. I believe for 99% of the long bar bending, HRS is the way to go.

Later,

Tim

Mats,

Thanks. Question, the "3/4" bends you are doing; are they actually 3/4 inch or are you actually bending 20mm? Either is an awesome bend, far better than my long bar PR but if it's 20mm then that's even crazier.

Crazy bend buddy! You must have a very good deadlift.

Tim

Tim

Thanks! It measured at 19.4 mm using a digital caliper.

My deadlift? Haven't got enough weights for that. I only got 335 lbs

Mats

Mats,

Thanks for the reply. My legs are my weakest area right now. If I had any chance of catching you I'd have to devote alot of time to deadlifts, leg presses and such. My legs give up on let's say the 40" by 3/4 inch bar long before my grip and arms quit. I got about a 30 to 40 degree bend in it and it's in my collection since getting a bar of that magnitude moving at all is pretty tough.

You've got the shortest piece of 3/4 inch fully bent into a "U" that I know of. You really should try the square too. You might be able to get it and like was said, maybe grinding down the corners might help.

Later buddy!

Tim

• 10 years later...

I know this is an old thread and following the original post, I would like to do without the drama. What does everyone consider to be the best bend to date in each of these categories (video proof please). If I am missing a category please add them.

Double Overhand (whatever length)

Double Underhand (whatever length)

Reverse (whatever length)

Braced > 24"

Braced < 24"

Cool idea!  This is by no means meant to be definitive, mainly just some of my favorites: 

DO - Juha's gold and (a close second) the IG250kg by Alexander Klimovich

DU - Mike Hadland's Insane Shiny and Vitalk Sveko 9mm x 4.5" brass hex and Dave Ostlund red nail (no video I could find)

Reverse - Stephen Ruby's red in one IMP and barehand G5

Long Braced - MANTHOS 31" x 20mm

Short Braced - David Wigren 8.75" x 12.3mm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do not know what it would be, but don’t forget about Horseshoes

• Like 1

I mean juha just bent the gold in imps..literally no one has done that. Right?

pretty sure he could crush most shit. 

• Like 3

On 6/6/2007 at 12:45 PM, Alawadhi said:

Gazza best bend is 3/8 stainless hex*7" and 3/8 G5*7". He says they are about the same to bend.

I like to add that I read somewhere on the forums (don't know where) that Pat bent the #8 horse shoe. So the best horse shoe bender is Pat.

Jason Bergmann has bent horshoes that Pat and everyone else dream of kinking.  No offense to Pat or anyone else.  Jason is a monster and 2 time WSM finalist.

Edited by Mike Rinderle

On 1/20/2018 at 11:56 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

Jason Bergmann has bent horshoes that Pat and everyone else dream of kinking.  No offense to Pat or anyone else.  Jason is a monster and 2 time WSM finalist.

What shoes exactly?

19 minutes ago, KapMan said:

What shoes exactly?

Check out the top 20 list.

On 20.1.2018 at 8:09 PM, KapMan said:

I mean juha just bent the gold in imps..literally no one has done that. Right?

pretty sure he could crush most shit. 

Lately I've been lazy to film my bends, expect my Gold Nails. I know people are pretty interesting to see my progress to cert the Gold. But after that I'll start to film. Here is couple of my hardest bend lately, close to 5 min time limit or under:

7" Gold Nail under 3 minutes,

IG 235kg 2 min and 245kg 4 minutes,

FBBC CRS SQ 5/16x6" and

Class 10.9 5/16x6.5" black bolt

Zsolt just send me couple of hardest FBBC's bars and I can't wait to attempt those! 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2018 at 8:56 AM, Mike Rinderle said:

Mike, you may or may not realize (or anyone else in that matter) but you quoted me something I said over ten years ago. Things change. My opinion on Gazza changed from best bends to fraud. this is as you can see from my forum interactions from years ago till a month back. Me and Wigren had the balls to say it that Gazza is a fruad and the bends he used to warm up which even World Strongest Man Brian Shaw dreams to kink like Mag KOASB (the old stock where the shinies were extremely strong). Horseshoes I am not sure but Pat WAS the best at his time.

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Mike, you may or may not realize (or anyone else in that matter) but you quoted me something I said over ten years ago. Things change. My opinion on Gazza changed from best bends to fraud. this is as you can see from my forum interactions from years ago till a month back. Me and Wigren had the balls to say it that Gazza is a fruad and the bends he used to warm up which even World Strongest Man Brian Shaw dreams to kink like Mag KOASB (the old stock where the shinies were extremely strong). Horseshoes I am not sure but Pat WAS the best at his time.

Yea, realized after I posted it. Sorry about that.  Pat was the man for years on shoes.  One of the all time greats.  No comment on Gaza.  He and I have had a mutually assured destruction, no aggression treaty in place from a few years ago when everything went down.  I don't talk about Gary and he doesn't talk about me.  ;)