Steel Bending Standards

timiacobucci

I’m not trying to start any conflicts just trying to see what the standards are for steel bending currently. I personally believe the only relevant records are pr’s but it is still cool to know where the outer limits of strength are at now.

As far as I can find these are the current records for the 3 main sizes of steel bending.

Short unbraced

Gary Hunt 3/8” x 6” stainless

Mid size spike

Tim Tolbert 1/2” x 10” hrs

Long bar

Steve Mcgranahan 3/4” x 4 ft square hrs

I don’t mean to offend anyone about the “current” part of this either. I don’t doubt some of the old time strongmen were freaks of nature but it is sort of irrelevant at this point to dispute or debate their achievements in this context. Lets just deal with the here and now and the guys that are still alive and bending.

The short bending seems to be way more popular and debated but what of the other 2?

I mean in the post made by Tim T Check Out My New Pr Bend he doesn’t even allude to the fact that this might be a record but as far as I know it certainly could be?

I also do not mean to start another vague who is the best, who is the strongest thread here, I am simply wondering what the best record bend is for these 3 specific areas to the best of everyone’s knowledge.

Gazza is the recognized strongest bender in the 7" and under unbraced bending.

I consider TimT the best right now on the braced bending with the spikes.

Don't know enough about the longer stuff to comment.

At the forthcoming UK Champion of Steel on 8 September, 2007

We feature a few events.

On these trials, with my knowledge I'd guess.

Unbraced Events

Double Overhand bending in 5 mins

Gazza

Reverse bending in 30 secs

Michael Hadland

Double Underhand bending in 30 secs

Michael Hadland

Unbraced snapping of Challenge Bar/Nail in 10 mins

Maybe Dave Johnson

Braced Events

Long bar bending (48-24 inches) - braced

Steve McGranahan or Mats Erik

Long bar bending (23-8 inches) - braced

Tim T with that 10" x 1/2" bar

Coiling or scrolling a bar

John Brookfield?

Looks like I will have to change horseshoes, and probably will have

Braced snap.

Steve McGranahan

Hope this helps

David

I did a 3/4" x 37.5" long bar. Not sure how many feet 37.5" is. :unsure

I agree with Ben on Gaz and Tim

Mats

Gazza best bend is 3/8 stainless hex*7" and 3/8 G5*7". He says they are about the same to bend.

I like to add that I read somewhere on the forums (don't know where) that Pat bent the #8 horse shoe. So the best horse shoe bender is Pat.

Edited by Alawadhi

I like to add that I read somewhere on the forums (don't know where) that Pat bent the #8 horse shoe. So the best horse shoe bender is Pat.

Definately

I have 4 of the exact same shoes he bent, and they seem harder than any nail/bolt to bend. They're just unreal

Mats

Gazza best bend is 3/8 stainless hex*7" and 3/8 G5*7". He says they are about the same to bend.

Pat is definately untouched in Horseshoes and will be for along while.

I see Tim T,Chris and Mats one day being up there also on the bigger horeshoes as well as destroying braced bending Standards.

Those are not my best bends the 3/8"Hex was over a few weeks of continues hits when i felt strong i got a 3pennies kink in it 1st then it whent to 5pennies then over 2 days i took it to past 90degrees then i finished it in another day of continued attacks on it.

the 3/8" g5 was again miles past the 5mins time limit so i personally dont class that as a decent bend it was done in 1 session but far to long.

My best bend for thickness and for being within the 5mins time limit is probably a 7inch piece of Dunksters 10mms stainless altho i have kinked stuff harder than this or should i say thicker as harder relevant to what :D

We feature a few events.

Unbraced Events

Gazza

Michael Hadland

Michael Hadland

Maybe Dave Johnson

Braced Events

John Brookfield?

Braced snap.

Steve McGranahan

Hope this helps

David

I agree with David except where my name shows up. I would put my money on Gazza in the Reverse and Double Underhand Bending. Gazza is, IMO, a humble man regarding his accomplishments and has placed his self lower on these lists than his Massive Bends with the Shiny Bastards truely deserve. He placed himself at where he thought he should be. His Bending in these styles are a lifetime ahead of mine. In My Honest Opinion, Gazza is the True Unbraced Bending Record Holder In Every Way . Hope Your wrist heals properly so you can come back and kick some more ARSE!!! :D:)

Wow! I'm I ever flattered, humbled and whatever to be even mentioned with some of these people. One of these days my vids will see the light of day whenever Walter gets things in order. He has them he just has alot going on right now down in Florida. By the way my name is Tim Tolbert.

Long bar - Steve Mcgranahan is the only person I know who's done 3/4 inch square at 4 foot. By the way Mats your 37.5 inch bar would be 3 feet and 1.5 inches. I've done 44 inches a while back and I can tell you it's rough so I take my hat off to Mats for that bend. I thought you had done 35 inches before but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you should try the 3/4 square Mats and tell us how it goes. I've tried it and all I've gotten was a slight kink. Very painful to grab ahold of too. I remeber an old post where somebody mentioned bending a 3/4 by 3 foot bar because I remember it blew me away. I think they said it was done at a Christmas party for family so if anybody remembers this? But for the sheer exclusivity of the 3/4 inch square then Steve's the man and the only I know.

Unbraced short - Like has been said, Gazza is far and away in the lead on this one. And I think Pat is far and away second place. Pat shows on his website a 6 and 3/8 inch long 3/8 inch CRS bar bent. Mike Hadland with these bends in all 3 styles is really screaming up there too. However I don't think style is what you're talking about rather the bigest piece of steel.

Midsized spikes - Well I really don't like commenting on myself and I don't like stating claims for myself that may not be right. If I was a boxer I wouldn't be the one who dances in showing off, I'd be the one shaking hands with the audience on the way. Less painful when you get beat. Anyway, I've really researched (which wasn't easy) because if I have a record or have done something nobody else has done then I'd like to know it, but then again if I don't then I'd like to know what the record is so I can shoot harder for it. As for my bends, the 1/2 inch by 10 inch was probably the most monumentally difficult bend I've ever done and that was a good night. The 3/4 inch Craftsman I've searched and everybody always seemed to feel like the 11/16 was the big one. Not saying that the 3/4 has never been bent, I just can't find it. FBBC spike same way although I suspect a couple others may cert on it soon. Mike Hadland, Chris Rider and a couple others I feel will get it if they work at it.

Excellent post. I searched and searched for info like this when I was new and it's hard to find. Like you say the unbraced is easy to find but the long bar especially is a tough one.

Again, I consider it a huge honor to be mentioned with some of these guys.

Tim

I thought you had done 35 inches before but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you should try the 3/4 square Mats and tell us how it goes.

Tim

Yeah, but I didn't videotape it, so for some reason I didn't mention it hehe.

The 35" is the one around my neck in this photo: http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/117649302...8_526_50233.jpg

aaah the square sounds fun! and yeah, I bet it hurts when you grab it.

The fact that someone has actually done a 5/8" x 2' 2.5" square partly WSM style scares me.

Keep mangling thos wrenches and spikes! You're the best

Mats

We feature a few events.

Unbraced Events

Gazza

Michael Hadland

Michael Hadland

Maybe Dave Johnson

Braced Events

John Brookfield?

Braced snap.

Steve McGranahan

Hope this helps

David

I agree with David except where my name shows up. I would put my money on Gazza in the Reverse and Double Underhand Bending. Gazza is, IMO, a humble man regarding his accomplishments and has placed his self lower on these lists than his Massive Bends with the Shiny Bastards truely deserve. He placed himself at where he thought he should be. His Bending in these styles are a lifetime ahead of mine. In My Honest Opinion, Gazza is the True Unbraced Bending Record Holder In Every Way . Hope Your wrist heals properly so you can come back and kick some more ARSE!!! :D:)

Until he proves other wise, your at the top.

Unbraced DO, Gazza is miles away from any other human on earth.

Gazza did the 8" FBBC spike unbraced :laugh

When I first starting and was doing mainly long bar work I ran acrossed this article:

steel bending challenge

That's one of the first things that told me where the top territory was. And for a long time the best spike length bend I'd heard of was a quote by Tommy Heslep saying that John Brookfield had bent a 1/2 inch by 12 inch steel bar.

These are the standards I had in my mind when I first started.

Tim

Yeah, but I didn't videotape it, so for some reason I didn't mention it hehe.

The 35" is the one around my neck in this photo: http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/117649302...8_526_50233.jpg

I had found that before when I was looking for long bar stuff. That is a scary picture. I think the thick long bar stuff is just as cool as the unbraced, it seems to me you guys should get more credit around here.

aaah the square sounds fun! and yeah, I bet it hurts when you grab it.

The fact that someone has actually done a 5/8" x 2' 2.5" square partly WSM style scares me.

Who bent the 5/8" x 2' 2.5" square? And maybe you could grind the ends of the square stock round to grip it better. I mean the center cross section is what is being bent not the end, much like the threaded end of a bolt. It doesn't take away from a g8 bend that is has threads on the end. Do you think you might be able get the 3/4" square? Has anyone seen a video or pictures of Steve Mcgranahan's bend? I'm not questioning it if he said he did it, I would just love to see it is all.

Tim T I can't wait to see that 11.75" video. Maybe you can try and video it if you try the 10" again too. That is unreal. How long do you think it takes to recover your hands and thigh to be able to try it again.

I also came across this video

of Steve Mcgranahan bending 1/2" x 16". And it does not look easy, and he is a beast so to do something so far ahead of that is incredible. I'm not saying that him or Pat couldn't get it if they worked towards it, but I suspect that you are the first to get it. I would like to see the calibration for a piece like that. I bet we all might be surprised. I mean 3/8" x 7" is like 735 lbs and your bend is only 3" longer at 1/2". Different steel granted, but the cross sectional area of the bar increases at a much higher rate than the diameters do. I mean just hold a 1/4" next to a 1/2", I mean that is only 2x the diameter but holy crap when you look at them the difference is obviously way more than 2x.

This is also the same reason I think further progression on the long bar bends will come hard. The steel gets waaaay stronger with every little bit of diameter after 1/2". I would love to see someone (or possibly even myself someday far in the future) U a 1" bar. I mean people know a 60D looks crazy unbraced but above that everyday people don't know the difficulty or the accomplishment of bigger bends. But I think anyone will flip out if you bend a barbell. Don't tell me you haven't imagined it before watching that thing bounce around doing heavy squats.

Wow! With your thinking you're a man after my own heart. I thought I was the only oddball who thought about all that.

I have a 1 inch by 4 foot bar that I bought to dream about bending. I tell you the 7/8 inch is a huge step up from the 3/4 as hard as it is. I tested a 7/8 inch bar by wedging it under a railroad track and pulling up on one end and man that was a workout in itself. I can't immagine 1 inch. I thought about doing some grinder work on the 3/4 inch square and even got a 4.5 foot piece but it gets awkward at that length. Very tough stuff.

As for Big Steve's 3/4 square, that's just what he told me in an email when I was asking him about his record. I know big Steve has bent a 15 inch by 1/2 bar on video and he tells me that he's done a 14 incher. If he's broken his record since then I haven't heard it. Big Bud Jeffries 1/2 inch PR is 24 inches.

I can't pronounce the guy's name who's done the short 5/8 square around his neck. It's the man's name at the bottom of all Mats posts. I believe a powerlifter and strongman who's now dead from Mats's country. Pretty awesome fella.

I tried a 9.5 incher today and failed. I was pretty tired from all the wrenches last night but I couldn't resist. I think I can get it on a good day but like you mentioned, every 1/2 inch starts to really add up the shorter it gets as the cross sectional area gets crazy. I'm really tearing my leather up again though so I may have to back off until I can get some more. Took my hands and knees a few days to quit hurting after that one. To put all you have into a bend and have it not move seems like it hurts even more. The 11.75 incher was a good vid though so I'm happy with it. It's fairly quick for such a hard bend and the method of bending is identical. The 10 incher was not a show-worthy proposition. Lots of struggling and pain. Once Gator puts up my first vid which shows a wrench, a pry-bar and the FBBC 80d spike then I'll wrap this one up and send it to him. Any future attempts at 1/2 inch PRs will be videod. Quite honestly I never expected to get the 10 incher which is why the video wasn't rolling. I had just got my PR from 16 inches to 12 to 11.75 so to jump another 1.75 inches I figured was a long shot.

Great post!

Oh yeah, according to Dennis Rogers, Pat P put a partial bend in a #8 horseshoe. He's completely bent a #6 and maybe he's finished the #8 by now but last word was a partial bend. Still incredible to move it at all.

I'm like you. I enjoy all the forms of bending. First I started long bar then discovered nails, then Eric Milfeld suggested spikes and that got the "mid-length" going. And I've always loved the wrenches and such. It's all fun and people like to see a variety.

Tim

Keep the info coming guys and I'll add some extra bending pages to my site for the braced bending, just like the reverse and DU if you're interested.

David

I had found that before when I was looking for long bar stuff. That is a scary picture.

Who bent the 5/8" x 2' 2.5" square?

I can't pronounce the guy's name who's done the short 5/8 square around his neck. It's the man's name at the bottom of all Mats posts. I believe a powerlifter and strongman who's now dead from Mats's country. Pretty awesome fella.

Tim

Correct Tim. Torkel Ravndal.

Wish managed to somehow get the clip of that bend from the DVD to the PC.

No idea how to do that :whacked

Mtas

We feature a few events.

Unbraced Events

Gazza

Michael Hadland

Michael Hadland

Maybe Dave Johnson

Braced Events

John Brookfield?

Braced snap.

Steve McGranahan

Hope this helps

David

Mike

Thanks for the kind words but dont sell yourself short mate a mag in everyway is a serious accomplishment there wont be many repeating that feat soon i think the huge shiny has it on the crush but the mag is i feel harder because you have less to work with so that in itself makes it very difficult i think you fully desrve to be were you are on those lists you definately earned it and in your own words kicked Arse :D

A question for Tim,Chris and Mats what do you think is possible to bend braced in stainless 1/2inch round and square.

Gazza,

It's so funny that you ask that. That's something I'm going to try real soon and I can see it going several different ways. I've already got the stainless located so as soon as I get back to the supplier and I rest up we'll find out at least what I can do.

Here's my concerns. First let's say that a 10 inch piece of 1/2 inch HRS would be equal to a 16 inch piece of stainless in bending difficulty. Although the numbers my be the same, the 16 inch for me is alot more awkward a length so that may play into it. Second is the springiness. In the short unbraced bends it's an aggrevation. In long bar it can be dangerous since the range of travel can be pretty wild. I immagine it could knock your teeth out or anything else depending on the method of bending. Plus fighting that springy crush on a round bar can cut loose and flip around with you. Flat steel is much easier in that regard.

I'm guessing that a sub 20 inch bend on 1/2 inch stainless would be an awesome bend. As for 1/2 inch square stainless, I don't really know. I suspect 3 foot might be suprisingly hard.

I intend on trying a piece or 2 but I believe that HRS is the standard and by far the best to use. Plus, people really just pay attention to the size of the bar and in a show you'd be better off to bend a 9/16 inch bar of HRS than a 1/2 inch stainless at the same length.

I'll let you know as soon as I try. Amazing that you brought that up since I've been planning to try that.

Tim

Tim, you should consider doing a web page on all the braced bending. History, records, techniques, etc. You just might know more about it than anyone, and you have a knack for breaking it down and making it interesting.

Tim, you should consider doing a web page on all the braced bending. History, records, techniques, etc. You just might know more about it than anyone, and you have a knack for breaking it down and making it interesting.

Before Tim T I had no interest whatsoever in brace bending. But when he showed up I really like it. Hopefully I will bend a 1/2" one day.

AP,

Yeah that's one of the bad things there. Because of that it's probably not just the next thing on my list. I've got 2 other things I want to try first then the big stainless may happen after that. The more I think about it though I think maybe 24 inches or lower may be really rough and a 3 footer piece of the stainless square may also be rougher than I initially thought. I did a 9/16 piece of tough CRS that was 3 foot long once and it was a rough one. I really didn't like the feel of CRS in that kind of length but they sold it to me by accident and I had to do something with it. And I may change my mind once I look at the price and consider the possible injury factor.

Scott and Alawadhi, thanks a million guys. I've thought about a website, or something else. I've got a ton of ideas and things I'd like to say.

Thanks guys!

Tim