Devon Larratt Vs. Ron Bath

StalwartSentinel

Devon takes it - 6 to 0. :whacked

MATCH 1. BIG HIT BY LARRATT PIN DEVON WIN'S

MATCH 2. BIG HIT BY LARRATT RON STOPS HIM DEVON REHITS PIN DEVON WIN'S

MATCH 3. RON FORCES REFF'S GRIP RON HIT'S DEVON HOLD'S ON DEVON PRESSES FOR THE PIN

MATCH 4. DEVON HITS A BIT OF A BATTLE DEVON WIN'S

MATCH 5. RON TRY'S TO HIT DEVON HOLDS WHILE STARRING DOWN RON AND HOLD' AND HOLD'S AND COMPLETLY CONTROLES RON TO THE PAD

MATCH 6. SAME AS MATCH 5

just over 6 months ago these two guys were even stevens, looks like Devon has moved into the super elite bracket with brzenk, uzmanov and bagent

This interview with Devon is from worldofarmwrestling (Oct 2006). Devon's training tips are very useful. He describes IMO probably the perfect training (splitting) for armwrestlers:

The matches with Devon Larratt and Taras Ivakin two weeks ago were very interesting to say the least. We talked to Devon about their matches and asked him some questions about his training.

Devon, you looked very impressive in Dubai against Taras Ivakin! Please describe the matches for those who missed the matches live at Armbets TV.

- As I remember it:

Match 1:

We went to straps where he got hand control and brought me quite far down, but I gave him my hand and blocked with a shoulder press. He stayed in an outside move where I was able to isolate his bicep and eventually straighten his arm.

Match 2:

I wanted straps but realized that his hand control over mine was quite complete, after recieving a foul for intentional slip. Next start I was able to stop Taras with a flopped wrist shoulder press, Taras went to move inside a few times but went back to the toproll where I was eventually able to straighten his arm.

Match 3-6:

Taras won all these quickly. I find having my wrist peeled back 1 time it is often going to go every time afterward. Taras took advantage of this quickly pinning me before I could stop the match.

Have you changed anything in your training since Dubai?

- I am focusing on more hook and speed training.

What does your training program look like?

- I break my training into 4 areas.

1. Table training (practises)

2. Armwrestling specific (mostly isometrics and plyometrics with very short ranges of motion)

3. Armwrestling health (longer range movements involving armwrestling muscles done at lower intensities)

4. General health (various sports, stretching, weight lifting)

How often do you train?

- This depends on how close to a tournament I am, but when one is not close I will train every day.

What are the most important excersises in your training?

- To be strong on the table you must armwrestle, when that is not possible I try to mimic armwrestling with specific excersises. I have found that this can be shortsighted though and that it is very important to stay on top of your health for your whole body, so that your body does not become overly specialized for too long (which may lead to injury). So - what is important can often change.

What do you do to keep gaining strength?

1. I do a form of periodization where I work from high volume to low volume, from high to low rep, from unspecific to specific. My normal turnover is about 3-4 months.

2. I eat everything I can all the time.

3. I keep records of my training and always make attempts at breaking personal bests.

What do you train to improve your hand strength, backpressure and sidepressure?

- All these are best worked on the table, but off the table my favorites are:

For Handstrength:

Thick diameter barbell 1 hand deadlift, or pull ups on a thick diameter (rotating) bar.

Backpressure:

Grab a towel with weight on the end of it, have your arm bent to the position you armwrestle at, have your thumb side of your hand pointing upwards, have the running end of the towel over the front of your knuckles, attempt to lift/hold weight off floor.

Sidepressure:

I have attempted to train sidepressure for many years and have found that it is very difficult to train, and when it is trained very quickly it leads to "overtraining". Now I only train sidepressure on the table, I do believe that your opponent will often feel sidepressure when you apply "downpressure". My favourite downpressure excersise is climbing rope with my hands tight to my body.

Are you going to the Worlds in Manchester?

- Unfortunately no, it should be awesome. Best of luck to all those who compete.

Any plans for more Vendettas in the future?

- Oh Yeah!!!

What are your next goal now?

- I am always trying to get stronger and better at armwrestling, but in my mind right now I am starting to focus on Michael Todd... it is only a matter of time before we meet and I believe we match up for a very good fight.

• 12 years later...
8 hours ago, gab2406 said:

Does anyone have a link to this match?

Unfortunately, video of this match was never released.