Pinky and ring finger strength

Rick Walker

I discovered during this evenings grip workout that the key to crushing the #3 consistently lies in strengthening my pinky and ring fingers.  As I close down on the gripper, I get with in a finger nails width and it stops.  If I could strenghten those 2 fingers-I could get that last ummpf and hammer it.

So, I did some COC #1 crushes as far down as I could using only those 2 fingers.  This is a problem because my middle finger tenses up as well and I cant keep it off the gripper enough to get a good squeeze with only my pinky and ring fingers.

Next I did some plate pinches and managed only 2-10s using my pinky, ring, and thumb.

Finished off squeezing a stress ball-much easier then the grippers because it is the perfect size for just 2 fingers.

What do you guys do??

Rick Walker :hehe

Hey Rick,

Haven't tried this myself but perhaps you could do negatives with an inverted gripper using only the ring and pinky. Would keep the middle finger out of the way.

For me heavy farmer's using duffle bags with a canvas handle really work the last two digits on each hand hard. Guess this is because it's not like straight bar and the handle is flexible and bends, putting stress more evenly on all fingers, if you know what I mean.

Arthur

I`ve done finger lifts with and without the Eagle Loops from Ironmind to strengthen individual fingers and thumbs. They work well and you can see improvement straight away as you`re strength starts to climb. But ring and pinky deadlifts are some of the most painfull lifts you`ll do.

Faheem

Rick,

I made a discovery yesterday that might help you with the ring and pinky finger strength you're after. I was doing thumbless reverse curls with an EZ curl bar and I noticed that there was a lot of direct stress placed on those two fingers while performing these. I guess I wasn't really aware of this before I read your post, but I sure felt it during yesterday's workout. Do you ever do these? Maybe it's worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nards

I have an item called the DIGI-FLEX. It has buttons for each finger. It comes in a variety of strengths, tha hardest is 9lbs. which I have, I think it's 9lbs each button. :)  :crazy  ;)

most definitely inverted  holds/closes , only using the ring  and  pinky  fingers , with a  gripper will help...and they  aren't nearly  as dangerous as ring lifts.........ring lifts MUST be worked into slowly....it's very easy to  strain the  ligaments and tendons in the  hand with ring  lifts.....if you are  going to try them.....DO NOT  let your ego get the  best of you, increase the weight slowly..., if  not, it may  end your gripping  pursuits.........Best Wishes