Thicker Wrist

Databamse

My main question is, if I get thicker wrists by using handgrippers? Is it even possible to get thicker wrists at all? And my final question; What is the best exercise for getting thicker wrists?

Yes and Yes.

I would say there are no best exercises and use a balanced approach such as the beginners routine in the faq

Are you meaning WRISTS or FOREARMS? Forearms will grow. They have many and many small muscles And you can increase them with handgrippers.

And wrists are bone and tendon. So you can't straightly train them and raise them up. But for years they will come thicker. Compare maybe 18years old and 40years old guys wrists. I think the older one have a much thicker wrist. Somebody told me that wrist can grow when you are up to 30 years old.

Edited by Koura

I mean the wrists, the point between your hand and your forearms. I want it to appear thicker. It is only a sentimental value. It is really not me who is asking, but i am asking for a friend of mine, when that is said, me too are a little thin around the wrists.

My main question is, if I get thicker wrists by using handgrippers? Is it even possible to get thicker wrists at all? And my final question; What is the best exercise for getting thicker wrists?

yes, yes, and i would say thick bar wrist curls!

my wrists have gotten thicker after sledge levering . the tendon on the pinky side of my hand has gotten thicker and that made my wrist thicker. :o

My wrists have gone from under 7 1/4" to now over 7 3/4" my forearms are 12.5" so yes your wrists will get bigger through consistently training with your wrists.

My wirsts have gotten thicker from griptraining, too.

I noticed it as I had to loosen the strap of my watch.

you will notice your wrists getting thicker after six months to a year of grip training, curls with block weights are great for this, my wrists became thicker by a half inch from various grip exercises and Im sure that I will keep seeing results as my grip training progresess

My wrists really suck, measuring in at only 6.5 inch. They are my weakest link when crushing, the only good thing is that it makes my 13 inch forearm look huge. :D

your only 16 though your wrists are still growing, no worries

My wrists are like 6-1/4" or 6-3/8", not sure... it's pathetic. BUT, it does make the forearms look bigger. Mines are only 12" flexed with my arm straight (maybe half or 0.75 inch more if I flex my elbow 90 degrees), but it looks "decent"... havent been at this for even a year though, and haven't used "heavy" weights I'd say. But I'll get there. If the wrists get anywhere close to 7" that'd be cool, but wrists don't grow that much I think :(

If the wrists get anywhere close to 7" that'd be cool, but wrists don't grow that much I think :(

Not unless you do! If you know what I mean :D

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

• 2 weeks later...

I read that Bruce Lee gained 1/2'' on is wrists in 44 days (14 workouts) doing reverse curl, wrist curl and reverse wrist curl, maintaining the same bodyweight (140).

Normally tendons and ligaments don't grow that fast, I guess Bruce's wrists were swollen cause they were kinda inflamed.

Edited by honk

my wrists have gotten thicker after sledge levering . the tendon on the pinky side of my hand has gotten thicker and that made my wrist thicker. :o

same for me. i'm sure all wrist curls help too

Normally tendons and ligaments don't grow that fast, I guess Bruce's wrists were swollen cause they were kinda inflamed.

Maybe he measured his wrist size in the lower part of the forearm, just above the wrist joint. There is a muscle there called "pronator quadratus"

( http://www.rad.washington.edu/atlas/pronatorquadratus.html ) that is clearly used in side levering ( thus thicker wrists with sledge training) and probably works as a stabilizer muscle in wrist curl. IMO it's easier to see a thickening in that area rather than in the joint. So i'm curious to know... where do you guys measure the wrist size?

i think i remember David Horne saying that using his wrist developer made his wrists a lot thicker, so that and other bending should help in that department.

As to your question as weather the wrist themselves will get thinker...yes, with lifting, and with age. However try this, grap your wrist and then open that hand. Feel the muscles in the lower forarm that contract when you open your hand? they won't get very big, however you should also train the extensor strength of the hand to balance your strength and to thicken your wrists even more.

Strength and Honor

I don't get it. 3 years of serious grip training and a near doubling of overall grip strength, and my wrist size is unchanged. They've always been 6.5"?

In the last year I've gained 35 lbs! (~1/2 of that is muscle :unsure ). My wrists are unchanged. I'm now 5'10", 215 lbs, 30 years old, and my wrists are still 6.5"?

During the last year I've focused mostly on wrist strength, as I thought that was my grip weakness. Lots of levering at first. I've been working hard on my Peg-2 for 6 months now and gained alot of strength on it. My forearms have grown and now tape at a smidgeon under 13" (wrist & arm straight), but my wrist is completely unchanged at 6.5"?

Of course, I don't care one iota--why would you care about your wrist size? I just find it interesting that people are adding 1/2-1" on their wrists from grip training! :whacked

Maybe it's genetic: adding size to that area may require long muscle bellies in the forearms?

Edit: I admit that with all the weight gain (which followed significant weight loss ~1.5 years ago), some minor fluctuation in wrist size is likely, but we're still talking well under 1/4".

Edited by rying

i think as someone else has already stated, it depends on where you measure your wrist i think. If you were to measure your wrist at the point directly under the palm of your hand i doubt this area would grow much (if at all), but if you were to measure an inch or so below the palm of your hand then there is definately more muscle/tendons etc that can grow in size (albeit very small amount).

just my opinion mind you.

i think as someone else has already stated, it depends on where you measure your wrist i think. If you were to measure your wrist at the point directly under the palm of your hand i doubt this area would grow much (if at all), but if you were to measure an inch or so below the palm of your hand then there is definately more muscle/tendons etc that can grow in size (albeit very small amount).

just my opinion mind you.

I don't know if I would consider that the wrist though. I consider the wrist to be all the way from the first crease directly under the palm to maybe an inch or a little less towards the forearm.

I don't know if I would consider that the wrist though. I consider the wrist to be all the way from the first crease directly under the palm to maybe an inch or a little less towards the forearm.

You do have to remember though that different cultures consider different things the "hand" or "wrist" I can think of a few old cultures that considered the "hand" to be elbow and below....so wrist may not be as exact in some peoples minds... just a thought....

I'd say if you are measureing right at the base of the hand the wrist size will not change....not measur-able at least, however an inch back or so, it could grow substantially (in percent of size terms) my 7" or so wrist (everyone tells me my wrists are huge but I feel they are to small at times) has grown about 1/4-1/2 an inch in the past 6 months to close to 7.5"...but then again I am only 17.

Sorry about my spelling guys, I am a horible speller, and my spell check doesn't work...

Strength and Honor

You do have to remember though that different cultures consider different things the "hand" or "wrist" I can think of a few old cultures that considered the "hand" to be elbow and below....so wrist may not be as exact in some peoples minds... just a thought....

I'd say if you are measureing right at the base of the hand the wrist size will not change....not measur-able at least, however an inch back or so, it could grow substantially (in percent of size terms) my 7" or so wrist (everyone tells me my wrists are huge but I feel they are to small at times) has grown about 1/4-1/2 an inch in the past 6 months to close to 7.5"...but then again I am only 17.

Sorry about my spelling guys, I am a horible speller, and my spell check doesn't work...

Strength and Honor

I didn't mean to seem like I thought my definition was correct or right, I was just saying what I would consider the wrist. My line of thinking is that it would make more sense to me to consider the wrist as the smallest part on your forearm, which is right next to your hand, where that bone sticks out and a little under it. Mostly the reason being because if you are measuring behind it you have to think of "how far behind" so then it could be different from person to person while it wouldn't happen with the other measurement.

But considering what you said then I could see why I haven't seen any growth, I'll try measuring a inch back next time.