Disappointed With My Heavy Grips

deep_salvage

Hi all,

I bought a set of three Heavy Grips off Ebay. They are the 100, 150 and 200 pound models. I have a strong sense that over a period of a week, they have become much easier to close.

I had a chance last weekend to test the COC #1. The Heavy Grips 200 pounds, is much much easier to close than the COC#1 at 140 pounds. I would say it would be under half of it's rated difficulty. At a guess I would need a 300 or 350 model to equal the COC#1.

Does anyone know what is going on here? I was thinking of buying the larger Heavy Grips because I prefer the narrower handles but now I am having second thoughts.

I just wanted to post this in the hopes that someone could offer some information. Should I just get the COC? Is it possible I got some "pirated" Heavy Hands?

Best wishes

Tony

I like the HG alot but yeah they do seem to season quite a bit more than the cocs. The hg 200 is a pretty easy gripper but the 250 and 300 start to get hard quick. 250 is a bit easier than a 2 and 300 a bit easier than a 3. I don't think they're pirated, just too easy for you. But still the hg 100 and 150 can be good for working 2 finger closes, I especially like ring and pinky closes for helping the grippers.

My HG150 is almost as easy as a stre bought toy gripper.

The HG200 is a little easier than my CoC1.

The HG250 is about the same as My CoC2 and my HG300 is axactly as hard as my CoC2.5.

Although I shlould mention that my HG300 is not very well seasoned yet.

I like the HG alot but yeah they do seem to season quite a bit more than the cocs. The hg 200 is a pretty easy gripper but the 250 and 300 start to get hard quick. 250 is a bit easier than a 2 and 300 a bit easier than a 3. I don't think they're pirated, just too easy for you. But still the hg 100 and 150 can be good for working 2 finger closes, I especially like ring and pinky closes for helping the grippers.

I read a number of online reviews for the HG and came away with the feeling that I would not be able to close the 100. Imagine my surprise when I could close the 200.

My experience is a little different from yours. I could hardly move the coc#1 at 140 pounds but can do 10 with ease of the HG 200.

I actually gave the 200 to my sister the day I got them. She came very close to closing them. Next time I see her, I will get he to try again. If she can close it, then i believe that they definitely have lost their strength.

It maybe anal; but the thing that really irks me, is the claim that they are 200 pounds to close.

250 is a bit easier than a 2 and 300 a bit easier than a 3. I don't think they're pirated, just too easy for you. But still the hg 100 and 150 can be good for working 2 finger closes, I especially like ring and pinky closes for helping the grippers.

This is my first attempt to train my grip. Instant gratification the first time that I closed them. Now I need to learn all I can about training my grip.

My 200 is so easy I could use it for warming up; and I honestly have weak hands.

Two finger closes? Thumb plus one finger; or plus two fingers? I never thought of that. I will give it a go. Do you do this working down your hand; so each finger gets a go? Any further info on this?

Best wishes and thanks for the reply.

Tony

The HG200 is a little easier than my CoC1.

The HG250 is about the same as My CoC2 and my HG300 is axactly as hard as my CoC2.5.

Although I shlould mention that my HG300 is not very well seasoned yet.

I just tried the COC#1 once. They are very expensive here. I think I can order them direct from Ironmind at a cheaper price. I wish I could try them again. I really have the feeling that my 200 is so much easier.

Best wishes

Tony

I read a number of online reviews for the HG and came away with the feeling that I would not be able to close the 100. Imagine my surprise when I could close the 200.

My experience is a little different from yours. I could hardly move the coc#1 at 140 pounds but can do 10 with ease of the HG 200.

I actually gave the 200 to my sister the day I got them. She came very close to closing them. Next time I see her, I will get he to try again. If she can close it, then i believe that they definitely have lost their strength.

It maybe anal; but the thing that really irks me, is the claim that they are 200 pounds to close.

HG do not make that claim - it may have been written elsewhere by a reviewer.

My first gripper was an HG150, which I closed for reps out of the package. I moved up to a CoC #2, which I also closed right out of the package - but, I could not repeat the close for some time. After a lot of work on the CoC #2 (basically warming up with the HG150) I picked up a pristine second-hand CoC #3 from a gent on the board. I could barely get the handles past parallel. With some hard work, I can get that monster to within 3/8"! Needless to say, the CoC #3 is my goal gripper!

Personally, I feel the CoC grippers are of superior quality when compaired to the HG grippers. I like the rough knurling of the CoC's and the consistancy of the spring (I too feel my HG150 is getting a bit spongey). BUT - I did just score an HG300 and an HG350 (they should be here today/tomorrow) so I'll let you know how they feel. I was looking for an intermediate gripper as a step closer to the CoC #3. I'll keep you posted.

Goody

Hey I don't think there's any question the cocs are better quality than the hgs, what you get with the hgs is a good deal. Especially if you buy them in the 3 or more gripper packs, I think its better to have an extra gripper for your money instead of a little better quality. (You might agree or not) I went and gave my hg 200 a squeeze and its very close to the same difficulty as my #1. Since you can close yours for 10 the width might be whats making the difference. Do search on how to set and with a little technique you might close that #1.

The two finger closes are just useing your index and middle finger, along with the thumb and perhaps also a set. Some people like inverted closes, thats where you close the gripper with the spring pointing down (index at the bottom of the handle instead of the pinky). To do a ring and pinky close hold the gripper inverted and just put your ring and pinky on the handle (you'll want to use a set for sure with this, unless you've got a really easy gripper)

Now if you still feel like you've got a bad deal, send them an email at hg. You might be able to trade in for some harder grippers, like trade your 100 and 150 for a 250 and 300 (those are gauranteed to be real tough for you). you'll probably have to pay shipping but they are good guys to deal with.

I am happy with my HGs (I bought them directly from them). The HG100 is easier than my T. HG150 is between my T and CoC#1. HG200 is like my CoC#1. HG250 is like 1.7 or so. HG300 is a bit harder than my new hard BBSM.

I have tried a fair few HG100s-HG300s,

100-150 are easier than the trainer!

200 is around a #1

250 is a bit easier than a #2

one of the 300s is easier than my 2006#3 the other is about the same as my 2006 #3 (maybe slightly harder at the close!)

The HG 300 that I had was easier than a #2.

I recived the replacement for it few days ago from HeavyGrips and the new gripper is about a #3.

I find there is a huge gap from the 250 to 300 the 250 is like a 1.6 and the 300 is closer to a 2.8 2.9 I thought it was just my gripper so I bought another one and it's about the same, still not bad grippers to have but I would suggest you het some RB gripper's narrow since thats what you prefer but HG's are good for the price.

HG do not make that claim - it may have been written elsewhere by a reviewer.

Yep they do. Look here http://www.heavygrips.com/

Right down the bottom it reads:

Heavy Grip 200 --200lbs --Advanced

Heavy Grip 300 --300lbs --The "Gripper King"

and further down it says

the Heavy Grip 300™ takes a mind boggling 300lbs** to close

My first gripper was an HG150, which I closed for reps out of the package. I moved up to a CoC #2, which I also closed right out of the package - but, I could not repeat the close for some time. After a lot of work on the CoC #2 (basically warming up with the HG150) I picked up a pristine second-hand CoC #3 from a gent on the board. I could barely get the handles past parallel. With some hard work, I can get that monster to within 3/8"! Needless to say, the CoC #3 is my goal gripper!

Personally, I feel the CoC grippers are of superior quality when compaired to the HG grippers. I like the rough knurling of the CoC's and the consistancy of the spring (I too feel my HG150 is getting a bit spongey). BUT - I did just score an HG300 and an HG350 (they should be here today/tomorrow) so I'll let you know how they feel. I was looking for an intermediate gripper as a step closer to the CoC #3. I'll keep you posted.

Goody

Hi Goddy,

I am very interested on your thoughts on the HG300 and 350.

I too think the COC are a little better quality but not enough for me to worry about it. What I prefer about the HG is that they are a narrow grip.

I would buy HG again except for this feeling that the spring has lost it's strength. I wanted to discover if others have seen this. Apparently not.

Hey I don't think there's any question the cocs are better quality than the hgs, what you get with the hgs is a good deal. Especially if you buy them in the 3 or more gripper packs, I think its better to have an extra gripper for your money instead of a little better quality. (You might agree or not) I went and gave my hg 200 a squeeze and its very close to the same difficulty as my #1. Since you can close yours for 10 the width might be whats making the difference. Do search on how to set and with a little technique you might close that #1.

The two finger closes are just useing your index and middle finger, along with the thumb and perhaps also a set. Some people like inverted closes, thats where you close the gripper with the spring pointing down (index at the bottom of the handle instead of the pinky). To do a ring and pinky close hold the gripper inverted and just put your ring and pinky on the handle (you'll want to use a set for sure with this, unless you've got a really easy gripper)

Now if you still feel like you've got a bad deal, send them an email at hg. You might be able to trade in for some harder grippers, like trade your 100 and 150 for a 250 and 300 (those are gauranteed to be real tough for you). you'll probably have to pay shipping but they are good guys to deal with.

Agree completely.

MObsterone is correct. must have been a reviewer, the disclaimer is all over their website. the names are pretty much for marketing pourposes.

Alawadhi makes a good point, it is my experience as well, to buy directly form them for the "newer" batch of grippers they are producing now. armwrestlingtables also has the newer grippers too. The older stock in my opinion is not up to the standards of a gripper maniac.

Hi AP

I agree on all your comments. You might be right about the width, I wish I could try to COC#1 again. I tried them at a Fitness Expo here, and the shop comes from another city.

Anyone here living in Sydney? Do you know a shop here that sells COC? If I import them from Ironmind the cost is $A43 each; at the expo they were $A54 each. I bought a pack of three HG for $A53.

Thanks for the technique tips. I will use them.

I was thinking about putting the HG on Ebay and going with COC. To send them back to the US, would be too expensive. The postage in almost the same as the grippers. However, I am just thinking now that I might keep them and use them for these two finger closes; except I can almost close the 200 this way. Well, we will see what happens.

Agree completely.

MObsterone is correct. must have been a reviewer, the disclaimer is all over their website. the names are pretty much for marketing pourposes.

Alawadhi makes a good point, it is my experience as well, to buy directly form them for the "newer" batch of grippers they are producing now. armwrestlingtables also has the newer grippers too. The older stock in my opinion is not up to the standards of a gripper maniac.

I will e-mail HG then and put this question to them.

Thanks very much

Ironmind and HG measure the poundages it takes to close their grippers from different places on the handle. They measure the force required to close the gripper differently so the poundages will not correlate. I don't remember the details, but a search will find the answer.

The best way to find out approx. gripper strengths is the GRIPPER RANKINGS UPDATE thread in the GRIPPER FAQ section.

Heavygrips have replied to my e-mail. It appears that my HG200 is defective. I will cut and paste relative information for those interested.

"That being said, it is possible that your HG200 has become too weak and qualifies for warranty and I have a couple of questions for warranty purposes:

1) Is the HG200 weaker than the HG150 that you have?

2) Is the stance narrower than 2" (5.6cm)?

If the answer is yes to one or both of the questions above, your gripper will definitely be covered by warranty, although you will need to go through the distributor you purchased the Heavygrip from to cover the warranty as Heavysports does not sell the grippers on eBay."

My 150 is still in the packaging but the 200 is clearly narrower than 2". I measure 4.6cm. If I compare it to the 100 it is much narrower.

I asked about the model name in comparison to the closing pressure. This is the response.

"The torque of our grippers is measured in inch-force-pounds and the HG100 is actually 100 inch-force-pounds..."

Also an interesting point was made:

"Our narrower handle stance is the reason that our grippers get weaker..."

The cost of postage to the US means that it is not worthwhile for me to return it and I have lost confidence in the seller. HG did however provide the address of the Australian distributor. I phoned them and they have kindly offered me a discount on a replacement of the 200. I think I will go with that.

Thanks to all who made replies.

Best wishes

Tony

They are garbage. I advise against anyone buying HG grippers. The get much easier from one day to the next. Stick with Beefbuilder and Ironmind.

Goody

Hi Goddy,

I am very interested on your thoughts on the HG300 and 350.

I too think the COC are a little better quality but not enough for me to worry about it. What I prefer about the HG is that they are a narrow grip.

I would buy HG again except for this feeling that the spring has lost it's strength. I wanted to discover if others have seen this. Apparently not.

So my HG's came last night and as promised, here's the dirt.

The HG300 is slightly harder than my CoC#2 (2.4-2.5 I'd say), and the HG350 is on par with my CoC#3 (2.9-ish). Although I think I might have a slightly harder than average #3.

Honestly, for the money they're not bad...especially when you’re using them as stepping stone grippers. Once your training advances you can file the shit out them and not feel bad. I'll let you know if they start feeling soft after a few workouts.

Goody

So my HG's came last night and as promised, here's the dirt.

The HG300 is slightly harder than my CoC#2 (2.4-2.5 I'd say), and the HG350 is on par with my CoC#3 (2.9-ish). Although I think I might have a slightly harder than average #3.

Honestly, for the money they're not bad...especially when you’re using them as stepping stone grippers. Once your training advances you can file the shit out them and not feel bad. I'll let you know if they start feeling soft after a few workouts.

Goody

Thanks Goody,

I contacted the Australian distributor for HG and had a chat with him. I purchased my HG from a US Ebay store, and I let him know that. He offered me a good discount off a new pair and so I have ordered two, a replacement for the 200 and 250. I am happy with that deal. I will pick them up in a few days.

I agree completely that they are a good stepping stone.

Best wishes

Tony

They are garbage. I advise against anyone buying HG grippers. The get much easier from one day to the next. Stick with Beefbuilder and Ironmind.

Hi John,

What you say is true but I think that is a bit harsh. HG service support told me that their grippers were not designed for strongman training. I think with the narrower grip and lower price (almost half the price in Australia), that they are a good option for someone starting out and just wanting to give it a go. If you are a big guy with some training behind you, and you know what you are doing, then they are not going to be the best option.

Best wishes

Tony