IronMind New Info on Grippers on their Site

Bill Piche

Guest InchDisciple

All I can say is that so far , the PDA testing service for grippers has not been a success . Only Sorin seems to have had his grippers tested . No gripboard member has stated that they have had their's tested yet . In light of this I doubt if PDA will feel encouraged to start making their own grippers .

I would urge everyone to read this information that Randall has put out about the grippers his company produces.

If any doubt about the validity of certain lifts is in doubt then this information will surely put them to rest. Joe Kinney is the ONLY man to close a NO.4 gripper. NO ONE has ever crushed or squeezed more in the manner that Joe did. NO ONE!

Everyone who has shut a no.3 gripper is exceptional in their accomplishment and NO ONE is better than the next. The grippers if anything are now better than the earlier models.

My only addition to Randall's excellent insights, is that perhaps certain grippers feel harder because, well, they just feel harder! We all know how important 'setting' a gripper is and perhaps, certain grippers feel better to certain people. Also hand size, finger length and other important physiological elements can and do apply to make a significant difference. Just as some bars 'feel' better perhaps some grippers also 'feel' better. These thoughts and Randall's are important to all you gripper maniacs.

For me I'm just pleased to have shut a no.3 knowing that this is what Richard Sorin, Kevin Fulton and David Horne also did.

Nick

That was an interesting piece by Dr.Strossen. I get the distinct impression that he is lurking on this board and this FAQ of his is a response to many of our discussions on the grippers. His tone seems uncharacteristically unpleasant. Most of us are acutely aware that there is more to the grippers than closing force analysis. PDA is offering a service that provides additional information on a gripper beyond eye-balling the coil and classifying it with a number. Continuing with Dr.Strossen's analogy, this is not much different than sending in a bar to be tested for length, diameter, spin viscosity, stiffness, and sharpness of knurling.

On the last page of the FAQ he appears to be making a reference to Richard Sorin closing the phatom four. He then discredits two-fingered closures of the number 3. As I remember the story in an old IronMind catalog, Randall Strossen witnessed Richard Sorin close the number 3 with two fingers.

I do not intend to start a flame war and I have great respect for Dr.Strossen. His FAQ is a good one. Do keep in mind however that PDA and Sorinex are competition for IronMind.

Guest JD79

Personally I like this piece.  What it says is true.  Have fun with the grippers, don't disect them.  I also remember something a friend told me that has to do with this situation.  "Ironmind says you shut the #3 gripper, not that you shut a gripper rated at XXX lbs."  The grippers vary, so what.  I'm not in a competition against any of the past #3 closers.  I'm in a competition against myself.  The bottom line is this: if you can shut a #3 gripper you have a #### of a grip.  Be proud.

I know I've changed my stance on this issue somewhat.  I've discovered there is more to gripping than the #3.  Expand your horizons, but most of all, HAVE FUN!  Thats what this is all about guys.  Its not a life or death thing.  No one is going to get rich by shutting the #3.  When its time to train, go at it with all your heart.  When training is over, let it go.  I hope I havent upset anyone.  If I have let me know and we can talk it over.  Grip smart and grip hard guys.  Have fun and achieve your goals.  Best of luck to everyone.

JD

Guest Brandon

Tremendous article, I agree 100%.  It is with strength training... as it is with life, you get out of it what you put in.  Some people dream of worthy accomplishments, while others stay awake and do them.  

In order to be a high-achiever and find success in any endeavor, one must have clearly written goals and pursue them with a passion.  Never worry what the next guy is doing, there will always be someone who is faster, bigger and stronger...who cares!  Live your life and pursue what is important to you...and most importantly-have fun along the way.

Be Strong!

your

Hey guys, I just recieved the newest edition of Milo.  Dr. Strossen seems to echo his remarks in the editorial.  Lately some have been looking into certain strength feats with a microscope.  Strength training isn't about figuring bar paths, and cross sectional muscle patterns.  I'm not a scientist, I'm a weightlifter.  Just grab it and lift it, close it, pinch it, crush it, whatever.  Again, I applaude what PDA is doing, when I have a chance I will send my grippers in to get tested.  Not to say mine is harder than someone elses but to know what the closing pressure actually is, for me.  Its kind of like lifting a big rock, I want to know what it weighs.  For me.  Every rock is different but so what.  Every gripper is different, so what.   Just do your best guys.  Heres to the success of everyone in achieving what they want.  

JD

(Edited by JD79 at 11:57 am on June 10, 2001)

Cost me what it costs me, my opinion will be voiced here and now. These utterances by the ringleader Strossen leave me feeling that Sorin and PDA have been trounced. It reads unecessarily scathing and desiring of more tact and courtesy. I have spoken to Richard Sorin on countless occassions. I have spoken to Joh Szimanski on a few occasions. I have once spoken to Strossen. Once with Strossen was enough. These other MEN (sorry I was raised on the Duke my friends and a man has to say it like it is) are welcome in my home any time. I call a spade a spade and sometimes a shovel, and guys I see a whole lot of digging. If precision in grip is not something to concern ourselves with, then why weigh the Rolling Thunder poundages. Friends, we can not stand by and let good people in our community be walked over. A great man in our arena has been hurt, and when a good man is hurt I am hurt. Anyone of like mindedness make yourself known. I do not want a flame war; a "wagons hoooo Richard Sorin!" would be enough. This man has never hid in mystery or shrouded himself in a mist, he's been out there proving it and doing it for us. He has and always will be my training inspiration.

Guest Cliff Stamp

I would have to agree with David, while there was a lot of sense made, for example you can quite easily test the strength of your gripper yourself, some of the arguments were absurd and in quite a defensive tone. For example, of course technique effects the required closing force of a gripper, however that reasoning can be applied to any lift.

As for attacking some of the witnessed feats by Sorin, well if you want to dispute his grip strength that doesn't put you on very high ground. And the challenge to come out and close the #4, that is weak as well. Find a lifter and ask him 10 years later to duplicate his past greatest lifts and then when he cannot duplicate those lifts use this to dispute them. Would anyone take that as serious opposition?

As well there seems to be quite a strong argument made on this board and the old that the new grippers are easier to close than the old ones based on the Beef Builder grippers plus the many people who have both versions and can readily tell the difference. This is in direct opposition to what Strossen has written. There have been statements that some measure of resistance is used as a quality control check on the grippers by Ironmind, I would be curious if whatever this measurement is, has it changed as the grippers have evolved?

-Cliff

I went back and re-read the article in question. I think he makes reasonable points and has a good argument, if not decisive, about the old vs new grippers and the degree to which we're analyzing the grippers.  I think he could have left at that.  Unfortunately, I agree that the overall tone smacks of having being written in a fit of pique, which undermines the credibility of his points.  He could be right(I don't think so) that the discussion on this board has been misguided but it was his decision to take it personally.

A further point to be made is Strossen's hypocrisy. He would have us believe that he is not fattening his wallet whilst the evil villian PDA is robbing us blind. PDA has been of the best and most accommodating service, bar none. Let us remember that PDA offered to test all COC guys for FREE!!! Let us also remember that they sponsor this very board. Let us also remember that they are not threatened by the existence of Sorinex. Let us, for those of us so graced, remember that Sorin takes good care of us and spends money out of his own pocket to be thoughtful to us. Who is fattening their wallet?

A further point to be made is Strossen's hypocrisy. He would have us believe that he is not fattening his wallet whilst the evil villian PDA is robbing us blind. PDA has been of the best and most accommodating service, bar none. Let us remember that PDA offered to test all COC guys for FREE!!! Let us also remember that they sponsor this very board. Let us also remember that they are not threatened by the existence of Sorinex. Let us, for those of us so graced, remember that Sorin takes good care of us and spends money out of his own pocket to be thoughtful to us. Who is fattening their wallet?

This kind of thing is probably best decided in the free market.  For me, this article from Ironmind has backfired on its intent and has reinvigorated my desire to have my grippers tested by PDA.  I don't have kids so I don't need to worry about college expenses :)

Seriously though, demand will dictate the importance of all of this banter.  Speak with action, whatever your stance.

BC.