2007 Gripmas Carol

climber511

Should I bring my homemade bells Chris? The BFDB should be cut down to 173lbs by December, so it wont just be an impossibly big paperweight anymore. I may be able to convince my dad to compete, he had lots of fun watching me at BBB3 and learned alot himself from it. I can tell he's getting more interested.

Sure Zach - bring it (or them) along - especially if you get that monster cut down to a sort of "human" level. It was beautiful but "HUGE". If there is anything I can do to help you talk your dad into competing - let me know - I'd love to have him.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• EricMilfeld

• MalachiMcMullen

• nickr104

If there is anything I can do to help you talk your dad into competing - let me know - I'd love to have him.

He's on the fence about it. His excuse used to be his age, then he saw you compete and I told him you were 10 years older(your 58 right? He's 48). Just give me something encouraging to say to him and I'm sure he'd fall onto our side of the fence. He's coming either way so I told him, "Why not get in on the fun while your there?"

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

If there is anything I can do to help you talk your dad into competing - let me know - I'd love to have him.

He's on the fence about it. His excuse used to be his age, then he saw you compete and I told him you were 10 years older(your 58 right? He's 48). Just give me something encouraging to say to him and I'm sure he'd fall onto our side of the fence. He's coming either way so I told him, "Why not get in on the fun while your there?"

Actually I'm 59 so he's still a youngster to me :D - heck he won't even be a "Geezer" until he's 50. One of the nice things about grip contests is as you saw - the friendly and supportive atmosphere and the camaraderie - tell him to sign up and we'll all do our best to make him feel right at home. Besides, I could use some support from another "grown up" hehe. Seriously, he should try it and like you said, he'll be here anyway, I'm sure he'd have a good time and might surprise himself with how well he could do.

I've got priorities prior to giving much thought to this contest, but should I find my way they I might be able to bring some grip/strongman toys for afterwards...thoughts?

I've got priorities prior to giving much thought to this contest, but should I find my way they I might be able to bring some grip/strongman toys for afterwards...thoughts?

I'm always up for some neat grip and strongman toys to play with! What ya got?

Matt - there is no such thing as too many toys - well my wife might argue that but we won't tell her OK?

I look forward to trying the BFHD Zach. I'm 47, and mostly skin and bones if that makes your dad feel any better.

I'm planning to ride up with Anson, and will be bringing a certain heavy, well-known dumbbell myself.

I will also bring my 28 lb. and 16 lb. shot puts if anyone is interested in tossing them around.

Actually I'm 59 so he's still a youngster to me :D - heck he won't even be a "Geezer" until he's 50. One of the nice things about grip contests is as you saw - the friendly and supportive atmosphere and the camaraderie - tell him to sign up and we'll all do our best to make him feel right at home. Besides, I could use some support from another "grown up" hehe. Seriously, he should try it and like you said, he'll be here anyway, I'm sure he'd have a good time and might surprise himself with how well he could do.

He's so damned indecisive! But I'm slowly convincing him I think! Tonight I got an indirect yes which he promptly denied but said he'd let me know Saturday. He's just nervous I think, he's never competed in anything but bike racing in the 70's. I keep telling him to bite the bullet, I'd pay the entry fee, I'd show him all the stuff we'd be doing and train with him but he's still unsure!

SOOOOOO ANNOYING!!!! :whacked

I've never searched for flights, but my first try found me a 400 dollar flight...and the entry is due Nov. 17. Doesn't look like I'll be able to swing this one after all.

I've never searched for flights, but my first try found me a 400 dollar flight...and the entry is due Nov. 17. Doesn't look like I'll be able to swing this one after all.

Keep checking flights - you never know when you might find one you can afford. But if not - I'm real sorry, I was looking forward to meeting you and seeing you axle DL especially.

Thanks Chris. I realized last night, however, that my Axle hadn't recieved the attention it needs. Certainly no 435 pulls out of me anytime soon.\

EDIT: I love how Zach and mines sig lines sync up a few posts up.

Edited by Matt Brouse

Are these still the planned events?

Grippers in Chokers at parallel

Two Hand Euro Pinch

IronMInd Apollon Axle double overhand dead lift

Medley - a variety of odd objects to load onto a raised platform of some kind

Reverse Style Bending

2 - 100# Plates Hold for time

Thanks.

I think so. Chris is gone on a Climb now so I will check with him when he gets back. He will be gone till the 28th.

Climber or anybody else qualified to answer:

100# plate hold - it is done head to head which is pretty neat. You grab a plate by the rim in each hand – stand up with them and hold on - time starts when they leave the ground and ends when they hit again. The way it would work is this. We take the number 1 & 2 people – 3 & 4 – 5 & 6 etc and then in reverse order each pair goes head to head with a hold for time. Bob did this at the Michigan contest I went to a couple years ago and it was great – actually deciding the finish position in several cases. I got stomped but it was a great event.

All feat cheater jokes aside, how do you prevent the weight from being pinned to the side of your thigh when you stand up with them? I wasn't even trying to look for advantages and the plates, unless you have monster side delt strength tend to rest against your thigh. Is this allowed? If not, what do you guys do to prevent it?

Thanks,

Josh

I have a 300lb anvil. Want me to bring it?

I have not talked to Chris that much about the events. I would guess you can't help the plates form touching the legs. Just no pining the plates aginst them is what I would think. We will have to hit Chris up about this stuff when he gets back on the 28th.

Sure John, One more toy for us to mess with. I would say bring the big kb too but I don't want your car bottomed out all the way here. :laugh Like the year you took all the KBs to the Arnold. :laugh Did you heppen to get my pm about the 16K bell that we left? We miss counted and the 16 you had left was Doc's. You could just bring it if you are coming to to Chris's so not to ship it.

Josh-

I think it is hard to pin the weight because you are mostly holding it with your finger, so pinning your thumb only provides minimal help.

I didn't even know you could grip with the thumb, I was leaving mine off. I wonder if that will make it easier or harder; I'll have to try that next week.

Thanks guys, we'll see what Chris says when he gets back. How are you guys training for the TTWC event? I did 315 for 5 today and the bones in my hand hurt but my wrist didn't feel too much.

how do you prevent the weight from being pinned to the side of your thigh when you stand up with them?

Josh, I don't remember this being an issue at the Michigan Contest. Like Bob said, minimal help at best.

Also, be careful of finger placement and how much weight you use at first. I pulled my ring finger tendon doing these before the Michigan Contest a couple of years ago.

Are most of you using washers or hose clamps around the bottom of the spring?

I never got into doing these before so it should be interesting.

how do you prevent the weight from being pinned to the side of your thigh when you stand up with them?

Josh, I don't remember this being an issue at the Michigan Contest. Like Bob said, minimal help at best.

Also, be careful of finger placement and how much weight you use at first. I pulled my ring finger tendon doing these before the Michigan Contest a couple of years ago.

Are most of you using washers or hose clamps around the bottom of the spring?

I never got into doing these before so it should be interesting.

Hose clamps on the top of the handles. I put electrical tape on my handles first to minimize damage to my grippers.

Josh, to help minimize any help that would be gained by thigh contact I required that the heels be together when we contested the plate hold at the last Show of Hands.

Are these still the planned events?

Two Hand Euro Pinch

IronMInd Apollon Axle double overhand dead lift

Medley - a variety of odd objects to load onto a raised platform of some kind

Reverse Style Bending

2 - 100# Plates Hold for time

Thanks.

Yes Jedd - those are the events and in that order.

100# plates - you can hold them with the thumb either on top or over the other side of the plate - I have personally found no advantage to either with my trials except for comfort. Pinning doesn't seem to be a real problem unless someone makes a deliberate effort to do so - and then we'll deal with it - a narrow stance pretty well solves it.

Grippers will be with washers and hose clamps - washers hold a couple sizes perfectly and other sizes need the hose clamps to set them at parallel.