2007 Gripmas Carol

climber511

Two different #4's, that's very nice!! What was the spread on the grippers once they were in the choker? And could you use your other hand to set it?

They were meticulously set to parallel by Chris with calipers. You could place it in your hand with the other, but you couldn't pinch the handles at all with your other hand.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• EricMilfeld

• MalachiMcMullen

• nickr104

Two different #4's, that's very nice!! What was the spread on the grippers once they were in the choker? And could you use your other hand to set it?

They were meticulously set to parallel by Chris with calipers. You could place it in your hand with the other, but you couldn't pinch the handles at all with your other hand.

So I'll guess around 3/4". Thanks!

Something I just remembered - Dean and Zach Coulter competed as a father - son combo. It was great to see!

Something I just remembered - Dean and Zach Coulter competed as a father - son combo. It was great to see!

Yes, and I bet Dad was glad that he ultimately chose to compete. Nice lifting, too, Dean and Zach!

I really can't imagine anyone being sorry they chose to compete in a grip contest. So if anyone is on the fence, just do it! I've done a bunch of powerlifting meets, and I'll take a grip contest any day for the fun factor, education, camaraderie, etc. And despite the fewer number of gripsters relative to powerlifters, grip contests are actually more competitive, because the sport isn't watered down by an infinite number of organizations and divisions.

Wow!!! Just reading some of these writeups has made me realize I missed ALOT even though I stayed longer than a few people. BOB'S WIFE PINCHED 3 10'S!!! THATS AWESOME BOB!!! Especially when her weight is taken into account and the fact that I had trouble with that when I started grip!

My reverse bends were as follows

5/16x7 HRS Failed

1/4x7 CRS Good

5.5 G5 Failed

Now dammit, I know that G5 would've been mine too if I had tried it first!!! But NOOOO, somebody told me the 5/16 HRS was easier. What a load, I didn't even warp that 5/16 but got the G5 to 25ish degrees on the third attempt. My dad opted out of the reverse bending because of a tweaked Lh forearm but he still did well for himself I think!!!

LETS SEE SOME PICS GUYS!!!

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

My reverse bends were as follows

5/16x7 HRS Failed

1/4x7 CRS Good

5.5 G5 Failed

Now dammit, I know that G5 would've been mine too if I had tried it first!!! But NOOOO, somebody told me the 5/16 HRS was easier. What a load, I didn't even warp that 5/16 but got the G5 to 25ish degrees on the third attempt. My dad opted out of the reverse bending because of a tweaked Lh forearm but he still did well for himself I think!!!

I'm not really sure what may have happened, if anything, Zach. But I do know that during the bending portion of the contest I tried a 7" length of that HRS and it felt much harder than expected. Chris sent me, I believe 3, lengths of the stuff for calibration. All three calibrated proportionate to each other. From the 30 degree angle they were left at after calibration I finished them all off by hand and found them to be very easy, just as the ratings would suggest. Chris did assure me at the contest it was all from the same bar. But I have heard reports of steel varying even within a solid length of steel. So, who knows?

Steel and bending are just funny by nature. My opener with a 7" square piece was much, much tougher than expected. My third attempt with a 6" piece was my easiest of the three attempts. 6" lengths do feel more natural for me, personally, though.

Oh, and Chris just posted a group photo. I know most, but not all of the gang. Can anyone name all the guys in the photo?

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=6591

I didn't see all that many cameras shooting but Nick and I both had camcorders running for almost the whole contest portion. Nick has all the tapes (well, except for one I found later) But there is like maybe 12 + hours of tape to go thru considering both recorders so give him some time please - it's going to be quite a job to go through both sets and sort everything out. At some point we'll have some footage for you all.

THe 5/16th HRS felt alot harder than the G5 I bent. It might have helped if It wasnt so off center though. I not a big fan of 7" stuff either.

I'll give the names a shot.

Bottom Row l-r: Zach Coulter, Dean Coulter, Mike Amos, Scott Styles, Scott George, Nick R., Anson C., Stew R.,

Middle: Travis Alcorn, Eli, Eric, Jedd, Jeremiah Ragan, Chris, Brad, John, Josh, me, Brent, Bob

Back: Dave, Jeremiah Fox

I whish I wouldve had my camera going for the after contest stuff. I forgot I even had it with me. Like Zach, I cant even remember half the stuff mentioned afterwards.

Edited by JS27

I didn't see all that many cameras shooting but Nick and I both had camcorders running for almost the whole contest portion. Nick has all the tapes (well, except for one I found later) But there is like maybe 12 + hours of tape to go thru considering both recorders so give him some time please - it's going to be quite a job to go through both sets and sort everything out. At some point we'll have some footage for you all.

Ah the waiting game...

Done yet Nick? :D Just kidding ;)

Some good write ups it was really a great bunch of guys. Eric you'll be glad I wasn't in a hurry :D glad you came nice to meet you finally.I wanted to agree with ya there was alot of great stuff done but I think I was the most impressed wtih Bob pound for pound he is the man. Also wanted to tell big John thanks for taking the time out of his strict warm up regiment to do all that gripper calibration cardio oh ya if thats what the couch does than I need to buy a new couch mine isn't working quite the same as yours what color is yours maybe thats it :D.Scott nice write up on your blog also wanted to congratulate ya on the pr's you hit you double alot of your numbers from the last time I seen you compete way to go.

Ah the waiting game...

Done yet Nick? :D Just kidding ;)

Haven't even started going through the comp fotage yet. 6 90min tapes worth. :whacked I will start this week and see what we got. All the comp lifts should be on tape. It is posable we missed a few , but with both cams I think we got it.

Edited by nickr104

If it wasn't for the fact that he will be a top 5 threat, when he heals up. I think Sean Dockery should officiate all the contests from now on. Yes, he is that good and we know it.

Now on to the after events. Jedd did a double old blob lift with ease. They were 54lb and 52.5lb. Josh hubbed an old York 45 easily.

Foxman bent a Diamond #1 hind shoe for us. Eric showed his serious wrist strength levering my 20lb sledge. The weaver stick was a blast. Climber bested the masters record with ease. It should be a contest event someday. Stu and Nick did some nasty kettlebell and anvil feats. Nick easily pinched 2 X 45's.

Bob, your last post says more about you as a man than it does about any of the people you praised. You are a very observant and genuine person, and very sensitive. Your inner qualities dwarf the generous physical gifts of those you wrote of.

Bob, your last post says more about you as a man than it does about any of the people you praised. You are a very observant and genuine person, and very sensitive. Your inner qualities dwarf the generous physical gifts of those you wrote of.

Thanks Eric, I think that may be the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me. I don't know what else to say, but thank you from the bottom of my heart.

For those I didn't mention, it wasn't for the lack of noticing you, it was due more to the humbleness of your presentation, your focus on the competition (or my focus) or my failure to cross your path during a time when I was receptive to communication.

Seconded!!! :rock :rock :rock

We couldn’t have entertained a finer group of men and women than were at the Gripmas Carol contest this year. You are welcome at our home anytime!

Teresa Rice

Boys, if you missed this one you missed something special. Chris put on a superb contest- I liked the grippers in chokers concept. The medley was legendary, a contest within a contest! Chris really come up with some brutal/weird stuff to lift. Bob Sundin- double BW axle pull, awesome 1st ever contest showing. Eric- he's now to be known as the giant slayer! Chris- what can you say about a man who's continuing to get stronger as he enters his 6th decade? I no longer want to hear people bitch about being "old". Chris bent a Bastard, reverse style..........Josh Dale- would someone please get this guy a tougher gripper? From now on I'll let Josh season my grippers. Scott George- competed despite serious injury, I know he would have done much better healthy. Dave Thornton- blew through the medley like it wasn't even there! Jedd- another dominating performance by the Pinch King, keep at it buddy and you will have that 2HP world record.

It was great to finally meet Eric, Scott Styles, and everyone else in person. A # of new guys came out and did a super job, that's what the sport is all about. I'm only sorry I had to leave early after the contest, it would have been nice to meet/talk with more folks. Big thanks to Theresa and Chris for all the hospitality and excellent grub! And Chris I'm sorry again for tearing up your garage door and the incident with the commode.

Gripmas Event Report:

I'm writing this for anyone who is interested in what a first-time grip contestant feels like, perhaps as a reminder for the old hands as to what it felt like for them and for the fellows who are sitting on the fence regarding entering a contest. I wrote what I felt like right before the event and my impressions of the other competitors in a previous post. I felt like a spectator as much as I was a contestant.

Calibrated Grippers in Chokers:

I enjoyed the grippers in chokers a great deal and hope it becomes the new standard in contests. It was a great thrill to see the handles touch on the #3 for the first time in my life, even if it is only a close in chokers, I ran around like a kid showing anyone I could find that I was closing a couple choked #3s with my LH as I tested them before the contest. I haven't tried anything higher than my RB210 in training since my return to grip, and only worked out with grippers 3x (if my log count is correct) in training and about 3x at work to show our clients. Probably less than 30 attempts total this year before Saturday, need to work on my CC set.

I should have tried the 3.5 as Jedd suggested after I showed him my LH close, but lacked the confidence to do so as I'd never tried grippers in chokers before. I missed a RB330 (I think) that was rated at 160 I believe (did anyone close that thing?), which I thought was strange because when I moved down to the 156.4 lb. #3, I felt like I was doing an overcrush and easily held it shut. Maybe I messed up my set on the RB 330 attempt; I'm going to try to get a few grippers in chokers and practice.

It was crazy watching Josh kill every attempt and needing a harder gripper than provided, very sick power.

Two Hand Pinch :

Wasted a lot of energy warming up for this and the axle, as I wasn't sure how I would do. I really liked the texture of the device, but I didn't use my legs enough, just pulled with a rounded back I believe. Ended up with 170, about 11-12 lbs. over BW. I especially enjoyed watching Dean Colter surprise Zach; Eric's great performance, and was cheering Jedd on for his World Record attempts.

Axle Deadlift:

Felt really easy to hang on to the weight, even at 303. My back was a little tight, so I passed on my last attempt. I badly wanted to try 319 or so, but decided to listen to my body as I knew I wouldn't be in the top 10 overall anyway (Anson said if I'd have put on a belt and pulled, I probably could have gotten 319). I don't have an axle, tried it once at Scott's. The most I did in training this year with a DO grip & olympic bar was 295. I did 405 in my early 20s @ 162 BW DO I believe (before I started getting major symptoms of UC). I never liked any other style as my grip was never the limiting factor in DL. Yes, Scott, I know I have "grip guy" form. :D I think playing with the Inch DB in my training was helpful.

Medley:

I really screwed up in my training, as this should have been one of my better events. i couldn't do the key pinch/narrow pinch items that most others could do, and my I aggravated a thumb injury trying the 79 lb. steel bar. The DBs both felt pretty easy except i wasn't used to taking a step with them, that felt awkward. The 50 lb. Blob made me angry, as I spent a lot of time pinching blobs over the last few months. My lack of levering practice killed me here as well. My lack of grip endurance training and limited overall conditioning took its toll from here to the end of the contest.

Reverse Bending:

Either of John Eaton's daughters could have beaten me here, the less said the better. I should be decent about two years from now, not in a hurry with bending yet. I need to put in the prerequisite wrist work first before I go crazy with bending.

100# Plate Hold:

I screwed this up royally, tried to move the plates farther away from my body at a couple points, due to the fear of doing something wrong and was also nervous about dropping one on my foot. That led me to losing focus, should have just held the plates naturally and let the judges tell me if I got the plates too close. I think I could be a little more competitive in this event with some practice.

I hadn't tried any plate holding at all in training, so I didn't know what to expect. I was already happy with my showing, so I might have lost a bit of my fire by that time. My wife was mad at me: "Why did you just set them down?" I replied: "Would you rather have had me drop one on my foot?" She laughed. She also questioned me for not asking for the other plates as she knows I hate hammertone, and I told her that Stew's thumb was torn up. She reminded me that I had superglue holding my thumb web together (worked great, thanks Dave!) since the 2HP. She has more killer instinct than me I guess.

Overall Performance & Impressions:

Gripmas exceeded my wildest expectations: in the way it was run, in my performance, and sharing time with my brothers in grip. I know my placing was quite low, but feel like I did well for my first contest despite little specific training for the events and several strategic and technique errors. Was happy to do a last three finger (David Horne style) blob lift before the medley; I think Jedd or Doc saw me do that.

I was surprised how I forgot about my thumb and other injuries during most of the contest and wasn't really affected by them at all, but on the way home I really started hurting a lot in all my injured and other areas also started getting sore. I will continue to compete and hope to improve my performance over time.

Edited by odin

Believe me Bob, that RB330N was TOUGH. I too closed the 156 LH and like you said, it felt like an overcrush, heck I got the 163 BB thor elite farther than I got that 160 RB330N. I think Stew is in the same boat here because his first attempt was the 160 but he dropped too the 156(?).

Very nice write up Bob. You were so quiet at the contest(nervousness, I know, that was me at the BBB3) but here you write up a storm, makes you a thinker and a damned observant one at that!!! :rock :rock :rock

Oh yeah, I saw the last 3 blob lift BTW ;)

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Great write-ups Bob! I really enjoyed meeting you and I hope to see you at some more contests.

Foxman, thanks for the excellent writeup, it really helps to see other perspectives. I think I didn't talk to you because of your focus and intensity, frankly you looked a bit scary and seemed unapproachable. It looked like we had similar results in some of the events, but for different reasons. I hope we can talk more next time we compete together.

Nick, I was close to you on one or two events, but no cigar. You did well in every event, no weaknesses. You flew under the radar much of the time and did great on the plate hold I believe. I always think of your big anvil lift in your gallery and how impressive that was. Thanks for the great story behind your signature, seems like you have a great sense of humor. :D How much do you and your brother weigh, if I may ask?

Thanks Josh, I hope to talk to you a lot more next time, you looked very focused.

All the "J" names in the contest were confusing to keep track of, especially then.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thought that RB330N was tough. Someone told me (forgot who now, maybe Eric?) that choked grippers are like that; they feel pretty easy even a few pounds from your current "stopper" gripper).

Edited by odin