2007 Gripmas Carol

climber511

Congratulations to all competitors; and to you, Chris, for a great contest. Sorry I missed it. Next year, Christmas party be damned!!! I'm goin' to Gripmas.

Tim

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• EricMilfeld

• MalachiMcMullen

• nickr104

Updated American Records. If anyone knows exactly what steel was bent, I will update the Reverse bending records also.

Congrats again to all the competitors! Eric, do you have a list of what steel was bent for the poundage ratings? I guess that 445-460 is probably a 7" Bastard. What is the 540 that Jedd reverse bent?

Congratulations Everybody!!! :rock

Wish I could have made it out!

If anyone's interested in what 2 more FBBC Special editions cal'd at, my Hard made it to 177.9 so it's right there at 3.5 and my Super took 222.66 so what would that be? 4.2ish? Josh's RB365 pulled 202 if I remember right.

That "Super" would rate around a 4.7 :whacked

Edited by GetAGrip87

Thanks to Chris and Theresa for all their hard work, and Doc and Angela for putting me up for the weekend.

Everyone did very well at the Contest. Congrats. to Jedd for the win. Unfortunately, as always there wasn't enough time to talk to everyone at the Contest.

We did a bunch of lifting after the Contest, with a few PRs. Odin pulled up 3-25s. Jedd did a double Blob lift with the Carolina guys 54# blob. Most of us tried the table top wrist curl. At the end of the night we tried the weaver stick. I think John Eaton hit around 8.2#s to the front. A bunch of the guys did quite a bit more to the rear. I'll wait for Chris on the exact #s.

Also, I received a pinch device that Chris made. Very good quality, looking forward to trying it after a couple of days.

Congrats to all! Looking forward to pics, videos, and more write-ups!

Congratulations Everybody!!! :rock

Wish I could have made it out!

If anyone's interested in what 2 more FBBC Special editions cal'd at, my Hard made it to 177.9 so it's right there at 3.5 and my Super took 222.66 so what would that be? 4.2ish? Josh's RB365 pulled 202 if I remember right.

That "Super" would rate around a 4.7 :whacked

No, I think you're wrong on this one Scott. An average #4 (4.0) is 209 lbs, correct? If so by using proportions this would be about a 4.26. I think I'm doing my math right at least.

Edited by vikingsrule92

Thanks to Chris and Theresa for all their hard work, and Doc and Angela for putting me up for the weekend.

Everyone did very well at the Contest. Congrats. to Jedd for the win. Unfortunately, as always there wasn't enough time to talk to everyone at the Contest.

We did a bunch of lifting after the Contest, with a few PRs. Odin pulled up 3-25s. Jedd did a double Blob lift with the Carolina guys 54# blob. Most of us tried the table top wrist curl. At the end of the night we tried the weaver stick. I think John Eaton hit around 8.2#s to the front. A bunch of the guys did quite a bit more to the rear. I'll wait for Chris on the exact #s.

Also, I received a pinch device that Chris made. Very good quality, looking forward to trying it after a couple of days.

Dave it was great to meet you and wish I could have spent a lot more time talking to you and the others. I brought three 25s, don't remember actually lifting them unless I had a fatigue-related blackout or have more brain damage than I thought. I tried a two-finger & thumb 3x25 attempt, but couldn't do much of anything with it. What Dave didn't mention is that both he and Jedd easily lifted 3x25 with their first two fingers and thumb.

Amazingly, John Eaton took two 25s, put them on top of each other, smooth sides out, and did a plate curl, both RH+LH! :whacked:rock Meeting him in person and seeing his unreal strength and fun-loving attitude is something I've been thinking about ever since the competition.

Sorry I had to leave abruptly, wanted to stay but I was riding with Scott and he needed to leave right away with Anson as well.

The grippers-in-chokers idea should become the new compettition standard, IMO, even if they were open farther it would be fine-helps remove subjectivity.

I'm at work now and too busy to write more than this now. I'll do my full write-up later, including my impressions of a few of the guys I was able to talk to. It was a fantastic experience for me and my wife, well-organized, fun, great brotherhood and the food was amazingly good.

Edited by odin

I have everything figured out now but I did it all in Excel and can't figure out how to post it all on the board with out it getting messed up. Pinch actual weights are just a bit heavier than stated, I'm emailing the actual stuff to Eric and Mikael has everything as well. I also have all the bending results by bar bent and poundage assigned to them. I'm going to let Eric talk about the bending stock - he calibrated them and also assigned the length adjusted poundages to each bar, he is the man as far as steel goes.

I had a GREAT time and was glad I made the trip! It was nice to meet some new people and put faces to the names. Thanks again to Scott for giving me a jumpstart at the gas station and to Doc for tightening that terminal down. The food was delicious and Climber has the coolest home gym I've ever seen. There was so much stuff there to try I was thinking about stuff I forgot to try on my drive home. I'm glad Acorn wasn't there because me and him would have been having mini-contests after the contest with all that stuff until well into the am. The medley was probably the most fun I've had on a grip event in a contest to date...21 items WOW!

Eric Milfield is the most underated competitor out there IMO. I didn't know he could 2HP like that! If Brad starts training grip, he's a top 3 threat at almost any contest. That kid is a freak! Odin is STRONG and when you consider his low bw, it's shocking. We were talking afterwards and he can wrist curl like 200-205 if I remember right!

Thanks to Zac for making that db for me! The thing is a monster and I feel confident that when I can pick it up I'll be able to lockout the Inch on command. Lifting that thing will be one of my main goals in 08'. I'm definetly getting belted up to carry it to the basement. More later, got work to do right now.

Chris, if you want to email me the file, I can make it available for download.

My write up is below. I normally try to meet and write something about everyone, but there were so many people I just couldn't keep it all straight.

My experience:

http://blog.gripfaq.com/2007/12/10/gripmas...experience.aspx

My results:

http://blog.gripfaq.com/2007/12/10/gripmas-2007-results.aspx

It was fun guys. Major thanks are due to everyone who helped put on and run the contest. The time invested was well spent and I really appreciate it.

Congrats again to all the competitors! Eric, do you have a list of what steel was bent for the poundage ratings? I guess that 445-460 is probably a 7" Bastard. What is the 540 that Jedd reverse bent?

Here's the length corrected point values I assigned to the stock about 6 weeks prior to the contest. The 7" length figures are also the actual calibration poundages. Obviously, assigning these point values required some educated guesswork. Initially, I experimented with using various percentage to length ratios without the results I was hoping for. The competitors did have a list of these ratings to refer to during the contest.

Goodman 5/16 x 7" HR = 295

grade 5 6" = 300

Goodman 5/16 x 6.5" HR = 320

grade 5 5.5" = 340

Goodman 5/16 x 6" HR = 360

FBBC square 7" = 380

FBBC square 6.5" = 410

Bastard = 445

FBBC square 6" = 460

Big Bastard = 480

Huge Bastard = 540

Chris, I know I told you at the contest, but I think the choker grippers are the best thing since sliced bread. The only downside I can come up with would be the possibility of a wide handed guy's hand placement being affected by the hose clamps. Was this a problem for anyone? Jedd?

Here's a few more thoughts on Gripmas. Note to self: don't ever get in a motor vehicle with Stew Andretti again. I never knew a mini van could be driven on two wheels. Seriously, though, thank you very much, Stew and Nick, for shuttling me to and from Chris's house! Very nice of you.

Yes, Bob (Odin) has strong hands and a super pinch, but with his bodyweight figured in he's all the more impressive. He and his lovely wife seem like really nice folks. I wish I could have talked with him and many others much more than I did. Part of it's my fault for getting so tunnel visioned when I'm competing.

Back to this Eaton guy. You can tell he's just blessed with gobs of natural strength. That smooth sided #25 plates curl just wasn't right! Yes, we both did the 20lb. sledge (I was a little scared of this sucker), and I would say we both managed a semi strict lever. I know Eaton's done this before, but I was very proud of myself to be able to do anything with it.

The weaver stick was a blast. I almost castrated several guys when the stick would start to swing around on me. It's hard to control that thing when you're levering it out behind you.

Having a Baseline hand dynamometer to play with was also a nice touch. Several of us were right there at 200 pounds or just over.

Travis really impressed me. He could have easily placed much higher. He's very strong, and very casual about it all, too.

What can you say about Jedd? I think everyone already knows how ridiculously strong he is. I enjoyed meeting him and really got a kick out his sense of humor. Constant source of entertainment!

Brad was just unreal. His arms were as impressive as Josh's. I heard he deadlifts like 750! He could be untouchable with some focused grip training.

Josh struck me as just a great guy. As humble as he is strong. He and a couple of others are definitely what I would classify as stronger gripsters than me, but there's so many variables in a contest that sometimes you can sneak ahead of a stronger guy.

More later...

My write up is below. I normally try to meet and write something about everyone, but there were so many people I just couldn't keep it all straight.

My experience:

My results:

It was fun guys. Major thanks are due to everyone who helped put on and run the contest. The time invested was well spent and I really appreciate it.

I love your write up, Scott! Very thorough. Someone took notes! How could I forget to mention Chris breaking the master's world record weaver stick!

I enjoyed meeting you, Mike, and Jeremiah!

Oh, and for those of you who are interested. My earrings are not patented... yet. :cool

My experience:

My results:

I love your write up, Scott! Very thorough. Someone took notes! How could I forget to mention Chris breaking the master's world record weaver stick!

I enjoyed meeting you, Mike, and Jeremiah!

Oh, and for those of you who are interested. My earrings are not patented... yet. :cool

My Weaver stick lift was outside the competition and of course doesn't count as a new record - but I was pretty darn happy about it for a "training lift". Scott's write up is great!

Wow alot of good write ups here. Thank you guys for the kind words. I have done some axle work in strongman and we have the "farmers Walk" which is alot of grip work. So im not completely new to grip work, but bending, grippers, and pinch work are kinda new to me. I really wish we did not have plans after the show. I would have loved to do some stone and sandbag work. Or possibly showed off with some farmers walks or something? :D

I had a blast though & set some good pr's -

gripper - I closed a 182.5# gripper (felt like I could have went higher?)

two hand pinch - I pulled 180# and my hand split open so I missed 190# 3 times.

double overhand axel - hit a pr @ 363#

medley - I got 19 of the 21 - I was very happy I got the scale weights last second.

bending - I need to work on this - 370#

100# hold - 75 seconds - not bad I guess

(so my forearms are killing me today - not sure how im typing)

This bunch of guys competing were really some of the nicest guys I have met. I plan to continue training grip and hopefully get stronger and do some more shows. I am very happy I met all of you and if there is anything I can do for any of you guys let me know. I also want to thank Chris and his wife for their hospitality. They are very nice people.

Gripmas Reverse Bending

Jedd Johnson 5/16"x 5 1/2" FBBC CRR Grand Bastard

5/16" x 7" FBBC CRR Bastard

Jedd Johnson 5/16"x 5" FBBC CRR to 39 degrees Magnificent Bastard

Miss - ONE DARN DEGREE AWAY

REVERSE - AWESOME!!!

Eric Milfeld 1/4" x 6" Square FBBC

1/4" 6 1/2" Square FBBC

1/4" x 7" Square FBBC

Chris Rice 5/16" x 7" FBBC CRR Bastard

1/4" x 7" Square FBBC

John Eaton 1/4" 6 1/2" Square FBBC

1/4" x 7" Square FBBC

Josh Dale 1/4" 6 1/2" Square FBBC

5 1/2" G5 FBBC

Jerimiah Fox 1/4" x 7" Square FBBC

Nick Rosendaul 5 1/2" G5 FBBC

Anson Castelvecchi 5 1/2" G5 FBBC

Jeremy Strong 5 1/2" G5 FBBC

I never tried the G5. My bends were as follows:

6.5x5/16 HRS

7x1/4" Square

6.5x1/4" Square

Thanks,

Josh

Edited by jad

What gripper did Josh close? And how much did he TTWC'd?

I had seen Eaton plate curling 2-25's before, probably a video from another gathering, and I too thought it was an awesome display of strength.

LNF: I closed 2 different #4s and an adj GE set at MM5. I did 405 on the TTWC and missed 495. With technique tweaking and just practice overall I'd be over 500 with ease. It's a hard lift to train since you need 3 spotters and a set-up. Very fun event but even 495 made the bones in my hands hurt. I don't know how David did 660 and didn't break anything.

More Gripmas

Thanks to John Eaton for giving me some much needed coaching on the bending event. John also did some cool blob curls. He kind of scooped them to get them started but then curled them. It looked like quite a wrist workout to me. Eaton also did a nice lever with the 20#. I tried to match him and got owned.

Dave and I had fun trying to pinch the old-wide York 45's that Jedd brought. We could both do good negatives but neither of us could break the ground with them. I hubbed one of them. It was hard but not as hard as my standard at home.

Two different #4's, that's very nice!! What was the spread on the grippers once they were in the choker? And could you use your other hand to set it?