2007 Gripmas Carol

climber511

If you need any help with stuff just let us know. Video , equipment or anything.

Thanks Nick - I expect to call on you guys a lot for help - too much for me to do all by myself with loading, scoring, video etc. I knew I could count on friends like you helping out - plus that's one of the great things about grip people and contests in general. - everyone just pitches right in.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• EricMilfeld

• MalachiMcMullen

• nickr104

The grippers in a choker event is a great idea!

Also, I've always thought this would good to test people who never touched grippers, which I am planning to do when I buy a hose clamp. I think if I tested them this way the results would make a lot more sense compared to their non-gripper strength.

Gripmas has it's first sponsor!!! Thanks to John Beatty and FBBC for his/their generous support!

has the event list been confirmed yet? I need to start preparing.

Brent

You mean you're actually going to train for this thing - that has to be a first :tongue .

Events appear to be but are not 100% certain yet:

Grippers in Chokers at parallel

Two Hand Euro Pinch

IronMInd Apollon Axle double overhand dead lift

Medley - a variety of odd objects to load onto a raised platform of some kind

Reverse Style Bending

2 - 100# Plates Hold for time

A lot depends how many people show up - if we have quite a few, I will probably drop one event so I can finish up in around 5 hours. I suppose events might change but I doubt it (just covering my butt here)

Brent, glad you'll be competing, look forward to seeing you again! Chris, will the axle be lifted from the floor?

I'm in the process of typing up the rules etc for everything right now and should have it up sometime today I hope. The Axle will be from the floor - Conventional or Sumo allowed.

Brent

You mean I need to train befor I go this year Chris? :yikes

Brent

You mean I need to train befor I go this year Chris? :yikes

Well Nick - if you train and Brent trains, that will be two of you at least. I always have these good intentions but............. I doubt Doc or Stew will train - I'd bet money Eaton doesn't train - we should start a poll - who plans to train and who really does train for it. :whistel

who plans to train and who really does train for it.

truer words have never been spoken.

as things stand right now I have every intention of training.

with the 100 plate hold, is any hand position okay? are you looking something specific?

Brent

I will train normal. Full body workout and well rounded lower arm/ grip workout. I won't change anything up for it.

Well I can't speak for Doc but it be a safe bet on me heck I still haven't really workout for several months less you count work or Bob's contest.

who plans to train and who really does train for it.

truer words have never been spoken.

as things stand right now I have every intention of training.

with the 100 plate hold, is any hand position okay? are you looking something specific?

Brent

Fingertips hold under the rim - thumb can either go over like a pinch or just lay on the top sort of - not much difference that I can find, just what feels best - I guess it's a personal thing. I'm working on event descriptions etc now.

How deep is the rim on your 100s Chris?

Hey, you're asking a lot of questions here buddy - you aren't actually planning on training for this thing are you? :) Anyway, the lip is about 1 1/4" and pretty square cut - a good grip actually, just heavy.

Brent

By the hub, right? :laugh

Hell at this rate, I'll still be waiting for my surgery. I'll only be training to set another front squat pr on that nice eleiko bar....

Hell at this rate, I'll still be waiting for my surgery. I'll only be training to set another front squat pr on that nice eleiko bar....

Doc - if that's all you can do - then by golly - I'll put it in.

Today I discovered "The Humbler" - it will be one of the medley pieces - you guys are gonna love it! :inno Something old and something new - something borrowed and something Blue - well I suppose I can paint something blue anyway. The medley is going to be like nothing you guys have seen before - fun times.

Sounds exciting Chris!!!

Brendan

Gripmas

There has been a lot a talk about contests here lately – events, rules, governing bodies or lack thereof, v-bar, grippers, time frames for the contest etc. I read them all and am trying to put my event together is such a way as to hopefully address some things that have been discussed lately as well as do a few things that I have wanted to try for a while. I’m taking ideas from other contests that I enjoyed and not doing those things I didn’t like as much.

Grippers – will all be calibrated – the order will be determined by actual measurement on the Redneck Gripper Calibrator, not by the number on the handle. My goal is to have as many “steps” as possible so we can make smaller jumps in between. I’ll have my RGC here if anyone wants to bring their grippers and measure them afterwards. The use of chokers is an idea of my own that I have hoped to try for a while now – no one to blame but me if it doesn’t work out. It should be a good experiment at the least as to the value of a “set”. I’ve talked to people who close more in a choker and people who do less in them so we will see. One hand only will be contested. I’d like to ask that those of you who have grippers that have been calibrated please bring them so we can have as many steps as possible to use. Not rising bar – three attempts.

Two Hand Euro Pinch – it will be Jedd’s apparatus from David Horne with my calibrated plates so any records or PRs should stand up just fine. This event seems to have a very nice set of rules already in place so I don’t intend to mess with it. The last couple contests everyone seemed to choose 54mm but other choices will be allowed of course – that’s kind of the idea of an adjustable pinch set up. If possible – try to know your width ahead of time but we will allow time to choose beforehand also. Rising bar format, four attempts. Warm ups will be done during the comp.

IM Apollon Axle double overhand dead lift. I’ve decided to allow conventional and sumo – it’s the grip strength we’re testing, not the dead lift. No thigh pinning allowed, all the way up but you don’t have to bring the shoulders back, that’s where you usually get the thigh contact we want to avoid even though I haven’t found much advantage to dragging the bar up the legs when using the DO grip. No "hitching" allowed. You must control the weight back down just like in the pinch or v-bar – this really ends up meaning you have to keep your hands on the bar all the way to the floor. Rising bar format, three or four attempts depending on time. Warm ups will be done during the comp.

Reverse Bending – I’m working with John Beatty and Eric to provide a smooth flow of strengths to bend. I may also have some local steel if needed to fill in gaps. All stock will be calibrated by Eric beforehand so when it’s over, you’ll know exactly what was done. One of my goals for this contest is to have “everything” calibrated that can be and follow what rules that exist as best I can. Of course any FBBC stock bent can act as a “cert” as well for John’s list as well as David Horne’s list. We will have video running to satisfy the rules. For rules, see David Horne’s and the FBBC sites. We will be using flights to save time – probably two. Not rising bar, three attempts.

Medley – there will be a set time limit to load the different items to a raised surface. Most items loaded wins with time acting as a tie breaker. This will not just be a Blob load but some different items that should make it interesting. I think I have some ideas that will not favor big hands too much. Any combination of left- right hands can be used – well except for both at once of course.

100# plate hold - it is done head to head which is pretty neat. You grab a plate by the rim in each hand – stand up with them and hold on - time starts when they leave the ground and ends when they hit again. The way it would work is this. We take the number 1 & 2 people – 3 & 4 – 5 & 6 etc and then in reverse order each pair goes head to head with a hold for time. Bob did this at the Michigan contest I went to a couple years ago and it was great – actually deciding the finish position in several cases. I got stomped but it was a great event.

Possible extra events – everyone usually plays around after the contest with whatever toys are on hand. I hope to have just about everything you can think of to play with and some things that might be new to many of us. Of course you only do what you choose afterwards – I just want to have a lot of options for everyone.

Table top Wrist curl – I’m working on making a set up to allow us to try it, I need to find the picture that was posted on it so I do it right. I’ll get all the set up, rules, etc from David Horne so we do it right.

Jump over bar – I have this sort of miniature high jump thingy – absolutely nothing to do with grip, I just thought it might be fun to try a two foot “hop” over it, it goes to 42” as is but I’ll have that fixed beforehand so it goes higher. Gives us skinny dudes a chance to beat the big guys maybe – or maybe not? I have lots of gymnastics pads for the uncoordinated – like myself.

Baseline Dyno if Brenden makes it over. We’ll test anyone/everyone including the spectators, wives, kids whoever and chart it out just for fun.

Weaver Stick – most of us may not have had a chance to try it – the goal is going to be to beat John Eaton I figure.

I’ve given a lot of thought (and talked to a lot of people) on the scoring to use and have settled on Gripbash system or percentage of the best lift done in each event. Strongman is easier but seems like one bad event has huge consequences if there are a lot of competitors. I think I (meaning my son) have set up an Excel sheet to do it pretty quickly in between events. Running score will be available after each event for strategy moves.

Please bring any bigger bending stock if you want witnesses for certs on anything DO afterwards. We can video it for certs. The biggest stuff I have is FBBC 5/16” Hex. Please feel free to bring your toys to play with also.

Edited by climber511

Wow! Chris, you have planned this contest to a tee. Great job on all of the events, they seam to be perfect for contest format and ranging hand sizes. bravo!