British grip champs 2002

David Horne

Bill

im sure the only way is up in grip lifting and as everyone wants the sport to grow it will.

I agree. The only way is up.  It's already started.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• mobsterone

• Arne

• gazza

lifts done in competition are a separate issue and demand more respect than lifts done in a cosy gym.

Bearcat, carry on lifting on your own, doing what you want and setting your goals.  But please stop being so selfish and refrain from slagging people off just 'cos they dont meet your moral standards or find passion in something you dont!!!

COMPETITIONS (be sure to know what i mean) are THE WAY of encouraging new people into the sport and retaining enthusiasm.  Think about it.  Competition on the #3.  The great work Randy’s doing with the rolling thunder champs and the pinch grip comp.  In an ‘armature’ sphere thats why the 'Brits' are light years ahead of the yanks thats why the Brits (sorry Nick...and Ozzies) are having the numbers of interested people increase dramatically and if you look at the list of competitors in the novice and intermediate section, you'll find new faces and retained old ones.

Look.  Just let those who are passionate about COMPETITION get on with promoting meets and if its not your cup of tea, then dont slagg us off.  If your narked that the Brits are doing better then pull your finger out and make the effort (as Kev, Brian, Nick and especially Dave) is doing and run a contest.

But most of all realise that lifts done in competition deserve more respect than demonstrations at the same weight

Addressing quoted items in order:

"lifts done in competition are a separate issue and demand more respect than lifts done in a cosy gym"  Too general a statement: I would give more respect to someone dunking 500lbs raw, butt to ankles in some cozy gym than some drugged up idiot in competition wearing so much equipment he can't even walk dunking 1000lbs and barely breaking parallel and calling it a good lift.  "Cozy gym"?  While my basement gym is quite clean and comfortable, anyone who has trained there considers themselves fortunate to walk out uninjured under their own power, and hardly considers it cozy.

Why is Bearcat being selfish?  He never slagged anyone off, and never tooted his horn over any accomplishments.  Everything posted about him was other people simply amazed at his strength.  I've seen him do things that totally blow me away, but I don't mention them because I know it's good enough that he knows and his friends know.

"Brits are light year's ahead"  

Woody, please reference this quote for the source of any type of anti-whoever BS.  I've never seen a single post that said "yanks are better or whatever".  Also, don't think that because you "compete" that  it makes you any better than others out there.  Frankly there are guys out there who are putting most of those competition lifts to shame, and that's good enough for them.

"narked that Brits are doing better"

Woody, see this one again, and opinions are like you know whats.

"lifts done in competition deserve more respect than......."

When was the last time you saw Dennis Rogers, or Slim Farman, or John Brookfield etc. compete?  Do any of you guys think that you're better than any of them?  I think there's some seriously delusional people out there.

People have many personal reasons to compete or not to compete.  Especially with the state of competitions these days, they are decidedly regional, despite claims of world status.  Don't "slag off" the people who are doing it for themselves.  

Suppose you beat the crap out of every kid at your playground....does that make you the toughest guy around?  Hardly.

People say for some reason that Bruce Lee is the greatest martial artist ever, however he never competed in a contest. Same with Chuck Norris.

From a  Chuck Norris website:

"Chuck Norris is another one of those "110%" people - he held the Professional World Middleweight Karate Championship title from 1968 until 1974,  he earned the Triple Crown for the highest number of tournament wins in 1969, he holds black belts in Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon Do, and in 1996 he was awarded an 8th-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, one of the few Westerner's to receive that honor."

Sounds like a pretty impressive record to me.

Guest 115-1005574997

Terminator

You have an opinion, i have an opinion i was stating my point of view and your entitled to let everyone know what you think.

But try not to make it personal flames on woody.

I think your comment that tells people to stop doing something is highly offensive.  ok!

If the modorators went happy with Woody they would have said so dont go telling people what they can and cant do!

:angry:

Woah...one of the other mod's must have deleted a post or two. Let's not get personal here guys, ok?

This was most assuredly not a direct flame on Woody.  This only referenced Woody's post of several weeks ago talking about an anti-British slant to the board, nothing more.  I have a lot of respect for Woody, and happen to think very highly of him.

Guest 115-1005574997

Can we calm it down!  Please  ???

Things have gone way off topic and the post was about Dave telling us all whos in this years British IG championships and highlight its going to be possible the greatest meeting of COC's ever.

Surely we should celebrate what will be one of the most exciting and entertaining comps in a very long time :)

Oh and thanks Dave for organising it!

To all the competitors.

Just a quick post to tell you that Randy Strossen and I have got inscribed grippers for the top 3 trophies. #4's for the Open section, #3's for the Intermediate section and #2's for the Novices. These will be very special, and of course very functional. Hopefully being told this will give an extra spur to your final training sessions.

Train hard, I hope to get some big lifts tomorrow, David

Nathan,

It has British Grip Champs 2002, then the class and position. I hope all the winners will like them.

David

I read David's list and turned green with jealousy.  Wish I could be there!  I wish you all the best.  I will make every effort to be at Kevin's in October.  I missed last year's comp, and won't let that happen again.

[Open Newbie View]

I went to my first competition yesterday.  A spectator, yes, but there nonetheless.  The NASM comp was amazing.  What a delight to sit in the metal bleachers in the middle of an asphalt parking lot on an upper 90-degrees day!  Oops, sorry.  Just to see the competitors, plus Kaz and Magnus, was worth the drive.  I sat in the bleachers, slowly roasting, and thought, "Wow!!".  

What I got out of the competition was seeing both the desire to be the best, and the camaraderie of the competitors toward each other.  Screaming at each other to lift the stones (go Karl!!), the Fords, the Bud Girls.  Encouraging each other.  I thought that was great.

The icing on the cake for me was to meet an actual Captain of Crush.  He was closing a gripper, which I assumed to be a #3.  I moved in close, with my arsenal sticking out of my back pocket.  When the moment came, I pulled out my 5 grippers.  The crowd got really thick.  Everyone knew they couldn't close a #3, but they were excited to try the progression.  Only one in the crowd closed the #2.  Ironmind got a big plug in those brief 20 minutes.  

Mike Sanderson was the CoC.  You all know and love him as Youngguy.  He is 15 years old.  I saw him close  a #3, including mine, for 7 singles.  I know he did more.  He also bent a 60d nail quite easily.  He is a boy that has a strong future in the strength world.  We spoke for a bit after the crowd diminished.  He said his initial appearance here was a joke on his part, one that went too far and became very ill-received.  He is in with a good bunch now (Omega Force).  I am certain he will mature into a very strong person, inside and out.

It all made the drive to St Louis great, despite the heat.  And that is what I think competitions are all about.  Here we talk, there we interact, face to face.  

[Close Newbie View]

Alan

David: Puh! At last I finally got my airticket today.   :D

Good. I am looking forward to meeting you, and all the other guys who haven't been before. For those who are arriving friday, we will go for an indian meal that night. That will give us a chance to have a relaxing chat, as it can be a bit hectic the next day for me. As I said in a previous post for those staying saturday night we go for a drink after the contest at the Albridge, like last year.

Not many training sessions to go now, and I hope everyone is tieing the loose ends up. My session yesterday was the best so far, so hopefully we're on course.

All the best, David

Kalle Lane has unfortunately hurt his left forearm in Hercules Hold i a strongmancompetition during this weekend. But his is comingto the cometition anyway. :D

Is he still going to be competing Arne? Hopefully he’ll be back to full fitness for the 3rd.

That's a shame, but it should heal by then, depending on the injury of course. There are 3 single arm events in the comp so at least he can rest his left arm in those by using his right arm. Of course Kalle knows this is all part and parcel of the run up to a competition, you tread that thin line of getting stronger/event ready, and injured. I popped my back last week as you know Arne, and it's now feeling a lot better but I can still just feel it.

Anyway, give him my best, David

I just call him and ask him if he is going to compete. OF COURSE! he answered. :D

Guest 115-1005574997

Arne

tell Kalle good man as im looking forward to meeting you all in real life :)  and if he wants a pre contest massage i'll see what i can do (strictly proffesional and no 'extras' before anyone asks!!! :)

Its going to be an amazing day and i just cant wait until the 3rd now!!!